Ender's Game Trailer is Finally Here

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

About OSC being a bigot...

Methinks he doth write much about naked boys wrestling in the shower and protest too much.

The sequel could be about him coming out of the closet in an epic, galaxy spanning, Catholic hating, saga.

The movie looks good, read the book, will definitely check it out.

I was afraid the boy was going to look/act too young, but they seem to have found an actor that can act like a mini-adult, which is how Ender was.

valium:
Then those authors are delusional, literature is educational and/or entertainment. Movies are not art, video games are not art. Does not mean these things can not be so good that people can compare them to art, still does not make them art.

Art is pretty much what people say is art, since "art" does not exist in the natural world (I doubt you will believe that art can happen by accident) it cannot be constrained, confined, reduced, OR defined by the scientific process.

Art has always been what humans call "art", since neither the concept nor the word existed before humans were able to contemplate it.

The fact that you believe something isn't art ISN'T any more meaningful than someone else who believes that IT IS.

My favorite definition of art is-

A recreation, representation, or expression of reality that illicits an emotional response from the audience.

To me this definition is inclusive of what is significant and still exclusive of what was never meant to be an expression to or for an audience.

But I guess this definition would upset certain people that want to use the word "art" as some sort of elitist hierarchical rank. Only "good" and significant works can be called art, but this is all subjective and dependent on taste, and in reality appeals to "this is not art" is an appeal to the ego of the person muttering it.

Why cant people be more creative in defining and describing "bad" art instead of trying to dismiss the existence of the subject entirely and rest lazily on the assumption of "this does not exist".

Jarimir:

To me this definition is inclusive of what is significant and still exclusive of what was never meant to be an expression to or for an audience.

Are you saying that if something isn't intended for an audience, it isn't art?

As far as I remember his politics isn't really present in the books at all.

I'm hopeful this will be good, but the book is really dark and there is so much behind the scenes work in the book as Ender is viciously manipulated all the time. Plus I'd have thought it would be in two parts one for the battle school and one for the command school, my concern is they're going to cut a lot of the gritty-ness out.

gwilym101:
As far as I remember his politics isn't really present in the books at all.

I'm hopeful this will be good, but the book is really dark and there is so much behind the scenes work in the book as Ender is viciously manipulated all the time. Plus I'd have thought it would be in two parts one for the battle school and one for the command school, my concern is they're going to cut a lot of the gritty-ness out.

From what Asa Butterfield (actor playing Andrew 'Ender' Wiggin) has said the film is still pretty dark and gritty, but of course anyone expecting to see naked boys running around is naive or possibly deluded; Asa says he thinks they're aiming for PG-13 (You can get away with a lot at that rating these days) so just don't go in expecting to see an 18/R rated film.

Source:
http://www.endersansible.com/2013/05/08/asa-butterfield-ama/

And as for why it hasn't been broken down into battle and command school, well I honestly think it's because there wouldn't be enough material for two films, and that they had to compress the amount of time that passed in the film for what ever reasons, mainly because finding two or possibly even three sets of actors for all the kids as they age from 6 to 11/12 would be too hard or costly or both.

Love the books (especially Ender's Game), don't really like the author as a person, and this trailer looks interesting. Hoping for at least good sc-fi flick.

the faith of our world in the hands of xbox underaged dickheads.

now thats dystopian.

I seem to see child actors as just kids witha camera in their faces. Not very often do you get one that genuinely acts and instead just frown deeply as if that's supposed to be the all encompassing facial feature of every human emotion.

The trailer doesn't help argue against that. I just hope I'm wrong, because if Asa can't get it right, it won't be Ender's Game. It'll just be a kid in what is supposed to be Ender's Game.

This just in Nicolas Cage will star as the Buggers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bpe_bVk0JY

chikusho:

Jarimir:

Are you saying that if something isn't intended for an audience, it isn't art?

I guess I am, but I also suppose that the artist him or herself could be the audience.

Either way I am being more inclusive than the guy I responded to that said, "Literature (also video games and movies) is not art."

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here