DICE Says Tests on Wii U "Not Too Promising"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

DICE Says Tests on Wii U "Not Too Promising"

The odds of EA's future Star Wars games (and a whole bunch of other stuff) coming to the Wii U appear to be growing very long indeed.

It seems that former Electronic Arts CEO John Riccitiello might have been on to something when he said earlier this year that Nintendo's Wii U lacks the stones to be a true "next gen" console. In a comment posted on Twitter yesterday, Johan Andersson, the Frostbite technical director at DICE - the studio best known for the Battlefield games - denied a claim that the latest iteration of the engine had at one point been running on the Wii U before development efforts were stopped.

"FB3 has never been running on WiiU," he wrote. "We did some tests with not too promising results with FB2 & chose not to go down that path."

"FB2" would of course be the older Frostbite 2, which DICE rolled out in 2011 with Battlefield 3 and that has since been used in games including Need for Speed: The Run, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel. It's been EA's go-to engine and Frostbite 3 is set to fill the same role, which would seem to exclude the console from EA's future plans. That perception is reinforced by EA's recent announcement that the 25th anniversary of the Madden NFL franchise would also skip the system. It may not matter - Nintendo's never been big on third-party developers anyway - but in the arms race of the coming console generation, it doesn't look good.

Source: Twitter

Where did FB3 come from? Even Battlefield 4 uses FB2

Well for all those Wii-U owners, this news really... bites

josemlopes:

im running on a theory that hes from the future, although that isnt confirmed yet

DVS BSTrD:

Looks like DICE is giving them the cold shoulder.

I'd love to say I told you so but I won't, is this really surprising for anyone? Really? Us nay sayers have been saying once the new xbox/PS4 come out the Wii U third party support would soon drop, it just doesn't have the grunt to compete with them, it's going to be in the exact same position as the original Wii.

spartandude:

josemlopes:

im running on a theory that hes from the future, although that isnt confirmed yet

BF4 is running on FB3, not FB2.

OT: What architecture is the Wii U running that everybody's scared of developing for? Can't be worse than PS3's Cell, can it?

rasputin0009:

OT: What architecture is the Wii U running that everybody's scared of developing for? Can't be worse than PS3's Cell, can it?

Indies seem to be having no trouble, and saying how easy it is to develop for.

I think a lot of the big western developers just decided ahead of time that Nintendo would fail so never gave any serious attempts at working with it. They figured it wasn't worth the investment trying to get into it seriously.

Jumwa:

rasputin0009:

I think a lot of the big western developers just decided ahead of time that Nintendo would fail so never gave any serious attempts at working with it. They figured it wasn't worth the investment trying to get into it seriously.

That could be it's downfall, by making it easier to develop for indie dev's you could be excluding the AAA dev's. Look at it the same way as programming languages, some are incredibly easy to learn (e.g. Visual Basic) but they lack the lower end power of something such as C++.

I would pay them twice for an FB3 Star Wars Battlefield. Sucks about the Wii-U but honestly I would have been more surprised if it HAD run on the system.

Raiyan 1.0:

DVS BSTrD:

Nintendo fans will probably give this news a Frosty reception.

And yet CryEngine 3 and Unreal 4 can run on Wii U. And even the PS3/360 can handle Frostbite 3.

Looks like the "unprecedented partnership" continues. Still bitter about the Origin deal falling through, eh, EA?

Binnsyboy:

Raiyan 1.0:

DVS BSTrD:

I get the feeling that they'll be rather chilled about this.

Edit: God damn ninjas.

Fine.
I don't expect this news will freeze anyone in their tracks.

I would like to think this would teach Nintendo a lesson about constantly releasing underpowered hardware but I know they won't learn from it.

[inb4 someone tries to claim the U isn't underpowered despite using 7 year old tech]

MiskWisk:

Binnsyboy:

Raiyan 1.0:

Fine.

But the speed at which games are coming out for the WiiU has been positively glacial.

devotedsniper:

Jumwa:

rasputin0009:

That could be it's downfall, by making it easier to develop for indie dev's you could be excluding the AAA dev's. Look at it the same way as programming languages, some are incredibly easy to learn (e.g. Visual Basic) but they lack the lower end power of something such as C++.

Bare in mind, many indies are already made to support a touch screen, so the Wii U controller is much less of a hurtle than it would be for a AAA title

Also, smaller teams & smaller budgets adjust to new/unique platforms a lot quicker & easier. Taking the time to teach a large scale dev team to work on a platform that's not only new but fundamentally different from what they're used to working with (again, control interface) is an expensive endeavor

devotedsniper:
Us nay sayers have been saying once the new xbox/PS4 come out the Wii U third party support would soon drop

the Wii U has third party support to drop?

This wreeks of BS. If it can run on a 360 and a PS3, it will run on a Wii U. Simple as that. Of coarse, if thos new games are next gen only for PS4, 720 and PC it may hold some truth.
PS: Is it me or is FrostBite 3 just slightly better looking than 2? Barely a difference :P .

It can run just fine. EA and Nintendo have been shitty with each other just like EA was shitty with Sega. Frostbite 2 runs on lesser hardware, and I'm sure that "we chose not to go down that path" is a business related statement. Probably Nintendo's third-party conditions or whatever. Ooh, it's because Nintendo didn't let them jam Origin into their online infrastructure or whatever.

Alright console war battlers, go ahead and proceed.

Well thanks for playing Nintendo. While you might not have won any third party support we still have some great consolation prizes for you. Enjoy your Hydro Rug. Hydro Rug is the carpet for your shower and bath. Simply place Hydro Rug directly over your tub's drain, and the unique anti-microbial poly-fibers allow water to flow right through it as the non-slid backing ensures that it will stay where you put it. Perfect for the bath or shower, Hydro Rug is mildew and stain resistant, is fast drying, and never wears out. Hydro Rug is comfort for your feet. It's like having a shower floor made out of loofah!

Hold on a second. I'm getting word from our producers you, in fact, DON'T get any consolation prizes. Willy, please tell them what they get instead.

Thanks Willy!

Raiyan 1.0:

MiskWisk:

Binnsyboy:

Fine.

But the speed at which games are coming out for the WiiU has been positively glacial.

And because of this, many gamers plans to buy the Wii U have been put on ice

rasputin0009:

spartandude:

josemlopes:

As far as I know, it is not a matter of the Wii U having a different architecture, but lacking the muscle to run it. Comparably, the Wii U is closer to the 360 and the PS3 than to the specs of the next generation/high end PC.

This entire thing is startin to get ridiculous. DICE keeps goin back and forth on what the WiiU is capable of, but always endin with "Yeah its shitty" except they contradict themselves so damn much its hard to believe a word they say anymore.

whats that? more news on how the Wii-U is shitty? the devil you say sir!

honestly though this isn't any kind of surprise what so ever, Nintendo has always produced hardware that is either so bizarre as to defy logic or underpowered and hopelessly dated.

virtual boy whoo yeah that was fun having to lock yourself onto this eyeball murdering migraine inducing machine that barely worked.

the 3ds wasn't much better and if you weren't developed past a certain age gate it would fry your eyeballs out of your skull, there was practically a surgeon generals warning on the damn box.

And who doesn't remember that glorious time where Sony and Nintendo joined forces to create a wondrous device to usher us into the CD age, the answer is Nobody because instead of making the sensible decision Nintendo backed out of the deal and thus created one of the Juggernauts of gaming

Ok, you want to make the best game you can. You make your game great and it plays on both PS4 and nextbox well. What you gonna do? Dumb the game down both game play and graphically to fit on the WiiU? Of course your not. Yes the Wii sold well, but lighening doesnt strike twice and maybe making the WiiU underpowered was the worse thing they can do. Especially when, to me, exclusives are few and far between and more companies are releasing multi format games instead as development costs go up. The WiiU cant compete. Only reason to by anything by Nintendo is cos you love Mario, Metroid or Zelda.....and thats it. Funnily enough, those are 3 game characters i dont give a shit about and thus why i have never bought a Nintendo console in my life.

Yes, the Wii U is underpowered and not really next-gen... but the 360 and PS3 aren't next-gen either, yet Frostbite 3 and Battlefield 4 will run on both of those. The Wii U can certainly perform at a similar level to the 360, and I suspect EA is just being petty.

P.S. Thanks

If FB3 can run on 360/PS3, it can run on Wii U, but it would probably take a lot of optimization that just isn't economically viable at this point with the sales performance of EA's games on the Wii U.

However, I'll eat my hat if we don't see FB3 up and running by Holiday 2014, because EA is planning to use the engine to power its Star Wars games, which they are going to port to every platform possible to maximize profits. Madden and NFS may not sell on Wii U, but Star Wars will sell anywhere - they'd be giving up a lot of potential income by not porting to Wii U. We might then see some other FB3 games ported, but I wouldn't expect them to sell well if they're months late.

so basically they're admitting they were too lazy to try and optimize it, how fun. God, if they think people are THAT freaking stupid they themselves are even dumber. I'm really starting to wonder if that Origin rumor is true.

P.S. MutedPenguin's followup to that responses is AWESOME

Why do I still smell the same crock of shit every time I see DICE mentioning Nintendo?.

Their latest frostbite engine can run perfectly fine on the current gen machines so I don't see any problem for them making a few games for the Wii U because I know the U is not weaker than current gen so it just sounds like EA being butthurt as usual.

rasputin0009:

spartandude:

josemlopes:

I have heard that from some places but the demo was clearly from FB2, in no way that was a new engine.
Bad Company 1 had Frostbite 1, Bad Company 2 had Frostbite 1.5 and it showed a lot more changes then what we saw from Battlefield 3 (Frostbite 2, being a huge change from FB1) to Battlefield 4 (that claims to use Frostbite 4).

I certainly believe that the version of the engine is more tweaked then verion used with BF3 but a completely new engine? No, I doubt it. Just go see any other game engine out there and how much they change (Unreal Engine 3 for example changed a lot during its stay).

Its either just to boast better tech (without actually having it) by calling it a new engine or there are a lot of people incorrectly informed about what the current state of the engine.

The whole thing looks fishy to me, a brand new engine from DICE and no one actually talked about it and what it can do, while showing a game running with it that looks the same as the previous engine? The Unreal Engine 4 isnt even out yet and look how much buzz is going around it, the same went with Frostbite 2 and the Cry Engine 3.

VinLAURiA:
And yet CryEngine 3 and Unreal 4 can run on Wii U. And even the PS3/360 can handle Frostbite 3.

Looks like the "unprecedented partnership" continues. Still bitter about the Origin deal falling through, eh, EA?

No kidding; I'm not THAT against EA as long as they act professional, but if they try to put ego and personal feelings into it THEN I get pissed. If they're going to throw a childish tantrum just because Nintendo wouldn't give them ENORMOUS preferential treatment then they're a bunch of spoiled brats who need a firm spanking.

Because this is obviously proof that the Wii U is underpowered. There is no way it could possibly be anything to do with DICE not bothering to do actual optimisation or any kind of actual testing on the system. It's not as if the devkits Nintendo sent out last year are the same ones they're sending out now. It's not as if the Wii U has got a more modern GPU, more efficient architecture and four times the RAM of current-gen systems.

Nope. Must be that the console is outdated. Why else would EA keep repeatedly dickslapping Nintendo while still releasing games on 7 year old hardware?

josemlopes:

rasputin0009:

spartandude:

I have heard that from some places but the demo was clearly from FB2, in no way that was a new engine.
Bad Company 1 had Frostbite 1, Bad Company 2 had Frostbite 1.5 and it showed a lot more changes then what we saw from Battlefield 3 (Frostbite 2, being a huge change from FB1) to Battlefield 4 (that claims to use Frostbite 4).

I certainly believe that the version of the engine is more tweaked then verion used with BF3 but a completely new engine? No, I doubt it. Just go see any other game engine out there and how much they change (Unreal Engine 3 for example changed a lot during its stay).

Its either just to boast better tech (without actually having it) by calling it a new engine or there are a lot of people incorrectly informed about what the current state of the engine.

The whole thing looks fishy to me, a brand new engine from DICE and no one actually talked about it and what it can do, while showing a game running with it that looks the same as the previous engine? The Unreal Engine 4 isnt even out yet and look how much buzz is going around it, the same went with Frostbite 2 and the Cry Engine 3.

DICE has been officially promoting that they're using Frostbite 3 for Battlefield 4 so I don't know what else to tell you. It's even on their main website for Battlefield 4.

They haven't gone too in depth on what the engine is capable of, but it looks like it can handle destruction a lot better than Frostbite 2. True, Frostbite 3 doesn't look as big of a graphical leap from Frostbite 2, but Frostbite 2 didn't look all that different from Frostbite 1, either. It's what happens in the background that matters. Who knows, Frostbite 2 could have been difficult to develop for so they started from scratch with Frostbite 3.

They'll probably say more about it at E3, but until the game comes out, we don't really know anything about this new engine.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
Because this is obviously proof that the Wii U is underpowered. There is no way it could possibly be anything to do with DICE not bothering to do actual optimisation or any kind of actual testing on the system. It's not as if the devkits Nintendo sent out last year are the same ones they're sending out now. It's not as if the Wii U has got a more modern GPU, more efficient architecture and four times the RAM of current-gen systems.

Nope. Must be that the console is outdated. Why else would EA keep repeatedly dickslapping Nintendo while still releasing games on 7 year old hardware?

Why would you optimize for a platform where you don't move many units? I mean, look at shooters on the Wii, they moved nothing compared to what you saw on the PS3/360/PC. Why waste that money for minimal return?

Frostbite3789:

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Why would you optimize for a platform where you don't move many units? I mean, look at shooters on the Wii, they moved nothing compared to what you saw on the PS3/360/PC. Why waste that money for minimal return?

That's how it always goes at console launches. The hardware sells in small numbers, but you keep putting software out there to convince people to make the leap and buy it.

How many 360s had been sold when Gears first came out? 5 million or so? Not exactly a huge number. And yet that game became a must-have app, drove hardware sales, and ended up selling over 5 million on its own. That's how its always gone in the first year of a console launch, and developers are idiots if they think it will every go otherwise.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

That's how it always goes at console launches. The hardware sells in small numbers, but you keep putting software out there to convince people to make the leap and buy it.

How many 360s had been sold when Gears first came out? 5 million or so? Not exactly a huge number. And yet that game became a must-have app, drove hardware sales, and ended up selling over 5 million on its own. That's how its always gone in the first year of a console launch, and developers are idiots if they think it will every go otherwise.

What's funny is they always try to use the "risk" excuse. Really? If your budget has spun THAT out of control due to either your engine being too obtuse or you just suck at managing funds then you REALLY need to reevaluate your strategy because things should NOT be this ridiculous.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here