Gold Dupe Bug Forces Diablo 3 Auction House Offline

Pages PREV 1 2

008Zulu:
If they can shut them down temporarily, then why not issue an optional patch to disable them permanently so you can play it offline?

The console version doesn't even have the AH so it's possible buuuut Blizzard wants your MONAHY!

Seriously though. Blizzard drop the RWAH and let us never speak of it again. Get rid of it and the Always on crap that it requires for security and you'll still turn this around. Just slap it in the D3:Plague of Apocalypse or what ever you're calling the expack and you can still regain some good will.

piinyouri:

008Zulu:
If they can shut them down temporarily, then why not issue an optional patch to disable them permanently so you can play it offline?

The levels, enemies and everything else is still all generated by the server I believe.

This is the same Blizzard that overhauled two massive continents in the biggest MMO in the world to allow for flying mounts. The notion that they can't code monster levels and map layouts into the client is ludicrous. They just don't want to. Forcing players to be always-online increases their likelihood of using the RMAH - which, in turn, increases revenue for Blizzard.

Like other people in the thread have pointed out, Blizzard has completely abandoned the idea of making a quality product - they are aiming for a cash cow, quality be damned. Features players want because they'll be fun to play are irrelevant to Blizzard, unless those features increase the revenue Blizzard gets - and any features that directly *decrease* from Blizzard's revenue (offline play, for example) are almost entirely out of the question.

slash2x:
Hold it I think everyone is missing the real news here....... People are still playing that turd?

I was just thinking the same thing.

Torchlight 2 is cheaper and better in every way that matters so it confounds me as to why D3 still has people playing it

BigTuk:

Gold would rapidly drop in value and as a side effect all currencies that are wholey or partially weighted by the precious metal (like say the US dollar) would suffer a proportional decline. In value.

It's a bit off topic, and I'm sure I won't be the only one on here to mention it, but I feel I should point out that the United States got off the gold standard in 1971, thus the value of the US dollar isn't tied to the value of gold anymore. So that even if the price of gold were to rapidly drop in value, barring any external factors, the US dollar would be mostly unaffected.

Not that this has anything to do with the auction house at all, I just felt like I should clarify that.

Wait, I thought the whole DRM in D3 was the auction house. If that's "offline", doesn't that mean the whole game is offline for everyone?

canadamus_prime:
Um... Blizzard, why would you ban players for taking advantage of your screw up? Oh yeah, and also does it really break the game that they now have a huge fuck tonne of fake money? And if so, who does it break the game for? Well them obviously.

All games do that. they broke their agreement upon accoutn creation not to abuse any possible flaw and this their accounts are forfeit, real money or fake. Usually thats used agaisnt cheaters, but in this case it also applies.

Capcha: come what may.
i think it knows more bugs....

Strazdas:

canadamus_prime:
Um... Blizzard, why would you ban players for taking advantage of your screw up? Oh yeah, and also does it really break the game that they now have a huge fuck tonne of fake money? And if so, who does it break the game for? Well them obviously.

All games do that. they broke their agreement upon accoutn creation not to abuse any possible flaw and this their accounts are forfeit, real money or fake. Usually thats used agaisnt cheaters, but in this case it also applies.

Capcha: come what may.
i think it knows more bugs....

Really? That's stupid. I mean it's not as though they created some hack or something, it's Blizzard that screwed up.

canadamus_prime:

Really? That's stupid. I mean it's not as though they created some hack or something, it's Blizzard that screwed up.

It i your who screwd up by not reporting and instead abusing the bug. any abuse of game weakness whether at the fault of the creator or you is banable offence. and that is good.

Strazdas:

canadamus_prime:

It i your who screwd up by not reporting and instead abusing the bug. any abuse of game weakness whether at the fault of the creator or you is banable offence. and that is good.

Of course that only really applies to games with an online component because who cares if someone abuses a bug in an offline single player game. Of course Diablo III doesn't have such a thing...

canadamus_prime:

Strazdas:

canadamus_prime:

Of course that only really applies to games with an online component because who cares if someone abuses a bug in an offline single player game. Of course Diablo III doesn't have such a thing...

Well yes, its main argument is that by abusing the bugs you change the experiences of other players therefore you should not be allwoed to cheat this way. In singleplayer theo nly experience you ruin is your own so do whatever you want. Though at one point they tried to restrict that but it was unenforcible thing. My personal opinion is that one should be allowed to dow hatever he wnats with his singleplayer games be it cheats or trainers or mods. though as you said, Diablo 3 doesn ot have singleplayer.

Last time I played that game 1,000,000 gold was worth $0.30. 371,000,000,000,000 gold would be worth $111,300,000.

One-hundred-eleven-million-three-hundred-thousand United States Dollars.

After inflation caused by the sale whatever way you look at it, you're getting at least a million dollars after transfer fees. I wonder if anybody using this exploit was able to check out fast enough to get paid.

And this is really why a real money auction house is a bad idea, a glitch could make thousands of people multi-millionaires overnight at your companies expense.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here