Gurren Lagann Creative Team Reunites For New Anime

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Gurren Lagann Creative Team Reunites For New Anime

kill la kill anime

Kil La Kill promises schoolgirls, swords and some of the best animation in the business.

According to monthly Japanese Otaku rag, Newtype, the key creative team responsible for giant-robot epic, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, are working on a new TV series. Kill La Kill is being directed by Hiroyuki Imaishi, who has worked on pretty much every worthwhile anime project Gainax has produced - he directed Gurren Lagann, Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt and Dead Leaves, and worked as an animator on Neon Genesis Evangelion and FLCL. He left Gainax in 2011 to form a new studio, dubbed Trigger. Kill La Kill will be the studio's debut show, but it's already been turning heads with the excellent short, Little Witch Academia.

Gurren Lagann writer, Kazuki Nakashima, will be writing and supervising the show's scripts, while Toshio Ishizaki, better known as Sushio (whose name you might recognize from his credits as key animator on Gurren Lagann, the Rebuild of Evangelion movies and FLCL) will be handling the character designs.

The design team alone should be enough to make viewers out of most of you, but I suppose you might want to know what Kill La Kill is about. Details are relatively thin on the ground, but I'm told it's about a pair of schoolgirls fighting on a shockingly violent school campus. Sold.

The presence of a giant drill is, as of yet, unconfirmed.

Source: Otakomu via ANN

just who the hell do you think I am to be impressed by such trivial news as a new anime by... the TTGL team...

0___0

I'm impressed; well done sir... well done

I have no idea what to think. On the one hand, It looks spectacular and will have great character design. On the other hand, I'm not sure if the basic plot premise intrigues me as it seems to be a fairly reused plot of the "school children fighting to the death" This sounds like a smaller version of Battle Royale with a mostly female cast

wow an anime with fighting school girls is just so original that I am instantly impressed by this (sarcasm).
I hope violence is close to hellsing ultimate levels of the violence and blood.

I probably should make time to watch Gurren Lagann or one of the other ones in their track record at some point to see if these people is as good as people claim they are.
it's been a while since I seen new anime so and summer break is coming soon so watching one of these animes sounds like a fine idea.

Maybe this is the studio that shall pierce the heavens?

Regardless, mental note added :)

You spin my head right round, Zazuki right round
When you go down, when you go down down.

lancar:
Maybe this is the studio that shall pierce the heavens?

Regardless, mental note added :)

If there are schoolgirls I hope the heavens won't be the only thing that is "pierced" :P

Storm Dragon:
Once wasn't enough.

Pretty much summarizes anything I could have said.

Dream-team of creative minds behind many of the most critically acclaimed anime franchises, not to mention some of my personal favorites. I sincerely cannot wait to see this...

...BREEEEAAAAAAAK!

Real men never die, even when they're killed!

.....I have no particular context to apply this to fighting schoolgirls.....I just really liked that line.......

Little Witch Academia was really damn good, tho. Looking forward to things.

This sounds pretty fucking awesome. The chick in the picture looks pretty badass.

The preview picture on the front page... Mogami Kyōko from Skip Beat!?

(I must admit that the article itself didn't really spark my interest.)

Izanagi009:
I have no idea what to think. On the one hand, It looks spectacular and will have great character design. On the other hand, I'm not sure if the basic plot premise intrigues me as it seems to be a fairly reused plot of the "school children fighting to the death" This sounds like a smaller version of Battle Royale with a mostly female cast

Yeah, but it's not like the folks who did Gungan Leviathan exactly had a well-crafted plot or anything, and it was effin' awesome!

Wait, his new studio did Little Witch Academia?
This man must be some kind of god with that track record.

A new anime by the same guys who made one of the best shows in recent memory?

Just who the hell do you think I am?

Zachary Amaranth:

Izanagi009:

Yeah, but it's not like the folks who did Gungan Leviathan exactly had a well-crafted plot or anything, and it was effin' awesome!

But it wasn't exactly an unoriginal plot, This, on the other hand, is not so original and i hope they do something to break the mold of the trope

Calling it now!
The ending will be so mind-fuckingly Gainax, it will Outgainax, Gainax.

This is great news and all, but I still want to know: WHERE THE HELL IS MY PANTY AND STOCKING SEASON 2?!

after watching Little Witch Academia just now i'd rather have a series made of that.

could still happen... right?

I'm sure Kill La Kill will be good though.

Chatboy 91:
This is great news and all, but I still want to know: WHERE THE HELL IS MY PANTY AND STOCKING SEASON 2?!

PANTY AND STOCKING bombed in sales so there won't be a season 2.

Eh I'm still wanting something more along the lines like Death Note and Code Geass (The new R3 doesn't count) and since this is going to be schoolgirls all over again I think I can count myself passing this because hellsing Ultimate and Evangelion pretty much have my sole attention.

GZGoten:
just who the hell do you think I am to be impressed by such trivial news as a new anime by... the TTGL team...

0___0

I'm impressed; well done sir... well done

yes more anime news plz

I shall look forward to more amazing OP Super moves that can rip holes through the space-time continuum

Aw Hell Yeah!!

As long as they hold back a little on the mind screws and ramp up the Holy Shit Quotient, this is gonna be a hell of a ride. ^^

Show me some of the animation before making a boast like that.

Unexpected news article, but nice. School girls with swords... not saying it hasn't been done before lol heres hoping the plot lives up the animation.

Reincarnatedwolfgod:
yes an anime with fighting school girls is just so original (sarcasm)

I probably should make time to watch Gurren Lagann or one of the other ones in their track record at some point to see if these people is as good as people claim they are.
in fact it's been a while since I seen new anime so and summer break is coming soon so watching one of these animes sounds like a fine idea.

I'm gonna recommend Gurren Lagann, out of that list. NGE and FLCL are all kinds of completely fucking insane (generally in a less-than-fun way, especially NGE), and Panty & Stocking is just kinda eh IMO.

They're all good, but if you're just looking to have a good time, not much beats Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. The show where the characters, quite literally, GAR their enemies to death.

Plus, Kamina (one of the primary supporting characters) is one of the most awesome characters from any piece of fiction ever.

I don't know why anyone's complaining about the premise not being original. Considering the premise of the anime they're famous for is "giant robots fighting."

Jesse Billingsley:
I shall look forward to more amazing OP Super moves that can rip holes through the space-time continuum

Pleaaase... the Time-Space Continuum Uppercut was mid-tier on its best day.

Galactic Shuriken and Probability-Altering Past-Present-Future Assault are where the true OP God Tier is at!

Sadly, I can't really say just how excited I am for this. No words, language, or symbols could ever convey just how awesome this news is for me.

Kill La Kill...

That title alone tells you everything you need to know about this anime.

Either way, I'm exited. I liked quite a number of that group's work (With FLCL being my all-time favorite anime). I enjoyed both Little Witch Academia and Inferno Cop, so I'm looking forward to this.

Grey Carter:
...some of the best animation in the business.

I'm still anticipating at least one episode where the animation looks like shit just to fuck with us.

That picture looks... surprisingly standard compared to the people that brought us Giga Drill 'BUUUUUUUUURAEEEEEEEEEEEKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH' but I'll keep an eye on it.

Damn these anime aesops!,first they tell me magic was meant to be used for others,then they tell me to use magic only for myself,then they tell me to use magic for others again

I'm talking about Little With Academia btw,which apart from the aesop and the overly loud and short tempered characters(mainly the Mc),was pretty good

I'll be expecting great things from that anime, even tho the premise doesn't seem to be very awesome or original. Still, i mean, Gurren Lagann. Damn, that name makes my blood boil, in a good way. So let's see how this'll end up.

JediMB:
The preview picture on the front page... Mogami Kyōko from Skip Beat!?

(I must admit that the article itself didn't really spark my interest.)

Love the Faiz avatar I must say.

OT:Now if anyone really liked the writing and story of Gurren Laggan then they should watch Kamen Rider Fourze. Kazuki Nakashima was the head writer for that show.

I hope the art-style is better than it is in that Little Witch Academia, because I didn't care for that artwork at all.

CrazyBlaze:
Love the Faiz avatar I must say.

Thanks, it's one of many I put together back in 2009, using Decade footage.

I also made a full set of Blade avatars that my friends and I used for playing Left 4 Dead. Because Undead. :P

CrazyBlaze:
OT:Now if anyone really liked the writing and story of Gurren Laggan then they should watch Kamen Rider Fourze. Kazuki Nakashima was the head writer for that show.

Oh? Well, that gives me another reason to give Gurren Lagann a try, I guess. I already had it recommended to me a couple of years ago, but... well, it took me until last year to finally watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here