Ouya Pushes Launch Back Three Weeks

Ouya Pushes Launch Back Three Weeks

High demand, according to Ouya CEO Julie Uhrman, is the reason for the launch date slip.

Ouya's launch date has slipped back from the 4th to the 25th June, and increased demand is to blame, according to Ouya CEO Julie Uhrman. "Incredibly positive reactions from our retail partners," says Uhrman, persuaded the Ouya team that, if it was to have any hope of putting the required number of units on store shelves, it needed to push the launch date back by three weeks.

But that's just about the last hurdle Ouya needs to leap. Rumored issues with the controller have been resolved; a problem where buttons could become stuck beneath Ouya's removable faceplate was a simple fix, as all the team needed to do was widen the faceplate's button holes. "I don't know what the exact millimeter is," says Uhrman, "but we've increased the size just a little bit." The new controllers will ship with the Ouya in June.

The one hundred dollar Android console has had its problems, but excess demand is a good problem for a manufacturer to have. Now we just have to find out whether its 10,000-odd game developers can put out some interesting product.

Source: VG24/7

I'd like to see if it can do more/different things then a high end smart phone. Because I have an iPhone 5 and I'm sure some of you have galaxy 3 and 4s

Not high demand from customers, it's the high demand on it's CPU :P

It's a glorified android phone. Only hipsters will get it.

Hemlock:

But, look at the blue hazey glow coming out of the console in the picture. Other consoles don't do that. I'm not going to say that it is, but it might just be projecting a hologram of some kind. And don't say it is a glorified andriod phone--it doesn't make phone calls. Hello. (Oh, wait. You don't say "hello" because it doesn't make phone calls.)

Don't you want to be hip?

Clankenbeard:

Hemlock:

But, look at the blue hazey glow coming out of the console in the picture. Other consoles don't do that. I'm not going to say that it is, but it might just be projecting a hologram of some kind. And don't say it is a glorified andriod phone--it doesn't make phone calls. Hello. (Oh, wait. You don't say "hello" because it doesn't make phone calls.)

Besides, i'm looking at my phone and it doesn't seem to have 40" plus screen on it. I could be mistaken though, sometimes it doesn't fit into my pocket :(

The OUYA is exactly what it is -- a competitor to things like the Roku, not the core consoles. It's a cheap android device that is in essence a tablet with a controller and HDMI out instead of a touch screen. It's open enough and cheap enough that it'll hopefully have a thriving indie scene, but it's literally not meant to compete with Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo consoles -- it's meant to compete with things like Roku, and it'll do that just fine.

Great now I'll have to wait to play "Coin Dozer" on my 40+inch TV

I so want this to do well, and have tons of games be released for it from devs. If it manages to do well, and has consistent support and product available, then it's most likely going to be the only "console" I buy this generation. Unless the new Zelda and Mario look glorious. <_<

Nimzabaat:

Clankenbeard:

Hemlock:

Besides, i'm looking at my phone and it doesn't seem to have 40" plus screen on it. I could be mistaken though, sometimes it doesn't fit into my pocket :(

I wasn't aware that you needed a 40" screen to play Angry Birds and Final Fantasy 3. Do the pixels look better on an Apple TV?

The 10,000 developers? Shovelware out the ass. This thing looks interesting...but I can only imagine it having the games you want while you're waiting in line somewhere, not sitting on the couch. I can already play that Jetpack game on the PS3.

I'm quite genuinely hoping this does well. There will be a lot of shovelware due to the open nature of it, and Android, but as I hope to make games myself, one day. The OUYA is quite an appealing little machine, and I see huge potential for it, I just don't know how much of that potential will be realized.

Hemlock:

Ok, seriously, I'm seeing that word tossed around EVERYWHERE now. Why is everything Hipster? What does something have to do to fall into that criteria?

Ug. I'm getting sick of this "its a phone" reaction just because it runs on android OS. Besides, new and unlocked smart phones cost like $600. Maybe $200 or $300 with a contract

AzrealMaximillion:

Nimzabaat:

Clankenbeard:

I wasn't aware that you needed a 40" screen to play Angry Birds and Final Fantasy 3. Do the pixels look better on an Apple TV?

You don't need a 40" screen to play any game. You're really going to try to tell me you would have no different experience playing Final Fantasy 3 staring down at a 3" screen vs. looking across the room to a 40"?

"Do the pixels look better on an Apple TV" Quit your trolling.

Evil Smurf:
I'd like to see if it can do more/different things then a high end smart phone. Because I have an iPhone 5 and I'm sure some of you have galaxy 3 and 4s

Spoilers: it can't.

It will probably just be an retro gamer's paradise/emulators machine.
I think it will sell well (by that price, I seriously consider getting one), and then collect dust when people realize that playing mobile games on the couch really isn't that fun.

Is this thing going to log on the Google's Play Store?
If so it can be mildly interesting, since it will come from the factory with cross-buy!

Nimzabaat:

Clankenbeard:

Hemlock:

Sweet! 40" phone!

I'm just trolling for both sides. My comment about it not having the functionality depicted in the photogrpah (blue haze projection capacity) is undermined slightly by my contribution to Kickstarter to get one (with two controllers). Yeah. I'm that flipping hipster. The Flhipster.

My goal is to use it as a teeny media center mostly. The hardest game of all will be to find a good game for it. I foresee a lot of Commander Keen-type platformers, but I have my fingers crossed. I keep hearing good things about this "Dragon's Crown" game. Maybe there'll be an Android port of that.

People bitch and moan about the big three trying to nickle and penny everyone all time and companies trying to take advantage constantly and here we have something different with the capability to play things as heavy as portal (this generation) and has none of the corporate bullshit with it either and people are so caught up in appearances or branding that they won't even give it the time of day. I am embarrassed.

I shake my head in dismay, then smash it into the nearby wall at the sheer ignorance on display.

"It's a phone, it plays phone games, I have an iPhone why do I need it, It's underpowered compared to my phone..."
Give it a rest and give the thing a chance to come out already before throwing these stupid comparisons about.
It's not a phone! It's a console!
Every single OUYA thread is the fucking same! Filled with the same idiotic comments from people who seem insulted that a non AAA console dares to exist!

It runs a version of Android.. the similarities with a phone END THERE..

Guess what!.. Your XBox runs a version of Windows.... does that may it an underpowered PC and should be dismissed accordingly?

Oh my god! I just realized something..

Phones have memory, and processors and an operating system, and storage.. that must mean they're underpowered PCs too!!!...

Or even, why do I need a PC when I have a phone..

Well, apart from that I need a keyboard and mouse and a big screen to be productive with my PC..

Oh look, the OUYA has controllers so it's not limited to games typically designed for phones which need to clutter the screen with controls or rely on touch screens at all..

Oh and look, the OUYA has the same spec of hardware for all OUYAs so all games for it will work the same for all OUYAs, something which phones have never been able to claim!

Just like a console - which is strange because that's exactly what it is!

If I didn't know better, I'd think that the entire gaming industry - including the gamers who claim that they love games are rooting for this open platform to fail.

No choice for me, I'm indoctrinated...

Scott Rothman:

AzrealMaximillion:

Nimzabaat:

You don't need a 40" screen to play any game. You're really going to try to tell me you would have no different experience playing Final Fantasy 3 staring down at a 3" screen vs. looking across the room to a 40"?

Can you not take a joke? Seriously calm down. You read way too much into my post.

AzrealMaximillion:

Scott Rothman:

AzrealMaximillion:

Can you not take a joke? Seriously calm down. You read way too much into my post.

It was two sentences, there wasn't a whole lot to read into

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here