Hellraid Gameplay Trailer Delivers a Hexen Vibe

Hellraid Gameplay Trailer Delivers a Hexen Vibe

This short-but-sweet Hellraid gameplay trailer might just give you back that old familiar feeling.

The first-ever gameplay trailer for Hellraid, the hack-and-slash action game revealed last month, is sadly short but still looks pretty good. Not great at this stage, perhaps, but definitely good. The environments look fantastic and the monsters appear to move fluidly and dismember satisfyingly, but the way the hands remain perfectly still during spellcasting seems a bit off to me. Hopefully that's just because the game is still in development, and the final result will have a more natural appearance.

The magic bits are very reminiscent of the mid-90s Raven fantasy shooters Heretic and its sequel, Hexen, which is not a bad thing by any measure, but I'm still hoping for something more akin to Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, with a greater and more immersive range of environments and a focus on melee combat. Magic is impressive, after all, but when I lead, it's swords for everyone!

Hellraid is being developed by Techland, the studio that brought you Dead Island and Call of Juarez, and is expected to come out later this year for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

Looks like Skyrim but with more blood and explosions. I want it

That's exactly what I was thinking. A slightly more gruesome Skyrim? Awesome.

Looking to seeing more footage and hopefully a preview.

Not much faith in Techland after Dead Island to be honest, but the game itself looks interesting enough.

I had zero interest in Dead Island, and seeing its various troubles along the way I have little confidence in the team involved.

Then I watched this trailer, and I really want to play this game. As long as your gear doesn't break every 10 minutes, or preferably at all then I'm totally on board.

I used to play Heretic and Hexen, though not Hexen 2 or Heretic 2. I always thought it weird how they and Legacy of Kain each had 2 sets of 2 games with different subtitles that were connected.

Though LoK had the series name and a 5th game that tied it together. The Raven games were just weirdly titled. I guess they might have called them Serpent Rider Saga or something.

Looks pretty neat! :D I'm happy for Techland, their early games might have been pants, but Dead Island had so much potential and filled enough of it, and now they're getting the opportunity to improve in new exciting directions!

Most certainly looks like Heretic/Hexen.
I am rather interested, but being made by the team who made Dead Island, a game made infamous by it's overly buggy nature, to the point of unplayability....

Ya I'unno.....

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here