Silicon Knights Still Breathes, Dyack Has Left The Building

Silicon Knights Still Breathes, Dyack Has Left The Building

Precursor Games has no connection with Silicon Knights, but it did buy a bunch of its stuff from them.

Silicon Knights, after its disastrous squabble with Epic Games, laid off most of its employees and seemed to be on the verge of bankruptcy, but it isn't dead yet. Silicon Knights' CFO, Mike Mays, has said that the studio's few remaining staff are very busy, and confirms that it is "definitely alive." Alive in what sense has yet to be determined; it doesn't seem to have any projects on the go, there's no telling who works for it, and its former Ontario premises are vacant and ready to lease.

Meanwhile founder Denis Dyack no longer works at Silicon Knights. He's now chief creative officer at Precursor Games, an outfit which rose from the ashes of Silicon Knights with some of its staff and some of its stuff, including office equipment and computers, which Precursor claims to have bought during a Silicon sale. Precursor's CEO Paul Caporicci has said that his studio has no connection with Silicon Knights. As part of the arrangement with Epic Games, Silicon had to prove that the computers it sold were wiped clean, in order to show that Silicon's engine and assets hadn't sneaked over to Precursor. When Polygon made contact with Dyack, he refused to comment on the Silicon Knights situation, saying that he would prefer to "concentrate on forward looking news and Precursor Games focused things only."

Precursor Games is known to be working on Shadow of the Eternals, a spiritual successor to Eternal Darkness. There's no word as to what, if anything, Silicon Knights might be up to, assuming it exists as anything other than a mailbox.

Source: Polygon

So...who is gonna provide me the opportunity to play more sci-fi Vikings?

Never say Dy...ack!

KuromaTyrant:

Hopefully someone who knows how humans use a controller and doesn't nerf firearms.

I'd love for them to stay alive long enough to have another crack at the Too Human IP, but at this point I think they may as well die and fade into obscurity.

DVS BSTrD:
Never say Dy...ack!

KuromaTyrant:

Hopefully someone who knows how humans use a controller and doesn't nerf firearms.

Yeah no kidding. Too Human had a good premise but was almost unplayable. I was willing to pay someone else to put up with those crappy controls just so I could see how it ended. That being said, the story had its good parts and I actually liked the cyberspace puzzles.

Whoever pulls that IP out of the ashes of Silicon Knights will have to add Techno-Viking as a playable character though.

Nimzabaat:

DVS BSTrD:
Never say Dy...ack!

KuromaTyrant:

Yeah no kidding. Too Human had a good premise but was almost unplayable. I was willing to pay someone else to put up with those crappy controls just so I could see how it ended. That being said, the story had its good parts and I actually liked the cyberspace puzzles.

Whoever pulls that IP out of the ashes of Silicon Knights will have to add Techno-Viking as a playable character though.

I managed to get through the combat because I figured out how to juggle enemies with the hammer and for firearms I only ever used the cannons. I had more fun is cyberspace and coloring my armor then I did on the actual missions.

So that means I can still hold out hope for a Too Human sequel... right?
Right?

I actually quite liked the original, despite its drawbacks and thought that the combat and loot system was freakin' awesome. With a few tweaks, user experience improvements, and polish, it could have been amazing.

DVS BSTrD:

Nimzabaat:

DVS BSTrD:
Never say Dy...ack!Hopefully someone who knows how humans use a controller and doesn't nerf firearms.

I managed to get through the combat because I figured out how to juggle enemies with the hammer and for firearms I only ever used the cannons. I had more fun is cyberspace and coloring my armor then I did on the actual missions.

If you played the commando class (pure gun focus), it was actually the most overpowered class in the entire game. You could get through the campaign without being touched once you beefed up your character enough. Melee characters were too squishy.

What the hell! Is everyone in here a fan of Too Human? *checks the colour of the moon* Nope, not blue. Maybe everyone who hates it couldn't care less.

OT: So do SK still have the rights to Too Human or did they auction them off in a THQ fashion? I too would like to see a proper end to this tale of Grendels and cybervikings. Just make sure to fix those controls!

Oh come on. They worked on ED2 while at Silicon Knights, and those assets have for sure been transferred over to the new company. Wiping machines means nothing when you can just make backups.

Unless you think they're really starting 100% from scratch. Does that sound like Denis?

Where the hell did all of the Too Human fans come from? That game was probably one of the worst I've ever played this gen, maybe ever. I can't think of a single good thing from it.

As for the split, I'm cautiously optimistic for the ED successor.

CriticalMiss:
What the hell! Is everyone in here a fan of Too Human? *checks the colour of the moon* Nope, not blue. Maybe everyone who hates it couldn't care less.

Hey, we're just saying, if it hadn't been such a terrible game it would have been an awesome game.

OT: I shall add my voice to the chorus of those hoping for a revival (hopefully a good one) but sadly, that particular body has probably been buried. Deep. In bedrock. In an undisclosed location. And it's not the real corpse, just a skilfully made facsimile. The real body was burned and the ashes scattered over the entirety of Antarctica. Though it would be wonderful to get a proper sequel, we'll probably have to content ourselves with their other game.

Once you got past the horribad controls, Too Human was a quirky little gem of a game. if a sequal ever gets made, one thing I wish for is to get rid of that horribad control scheme.

ChrisCarTheMarauder:
Where the hell did all of the Too Human fans come from? That game was probably one of the worst I've ever played this gen, maybe ever. I can't think of a single good thing from it.

It had a good concept and an awesome setting. Story wasn't bad. Those of us who call ourselves fans think that if someone just takes it in and gives it decent gameplay, it would make a great game.

Let's see...

Studio composed mostly of people from Silicone Knights, including the worthless hack of a boss from SK, buys up assets from Silicone Knights.

Not even a little shady people? How much did they pay for the assets? Are they (Silicone Knights) still paying the lawsuit or have they already paid that out? Not to mention the money that Dyack tried to claim they never received from that damn, dirty government in Ontario.

Its not like people haven't gone and created some secondary business so they could legally "sell" off assets and the like. I wouldn't be surprised if Dyack stayed only long enough in Silicone Knights to sign off on a $10 giftcard to McDonalds in return for all the (supposedly barren) Eternal Darkness 2 assets.

I'm not worried though. Their kickstarter-ish attempt is going to fail. It's guaranteed to fail. And if they try to play "keep it all" with peoples money, I hope to god those people kick the financial teeth out of em for it back. I mean come on, Denis Dyack as the lead "creative" guy? If all of his creativity amounts to nothing more than Xmen and Too Human, I'd sooner hire him to clean the toilets than to help make a game.

Tahaneira:

ChrisCarTheMarauder:

It had a good concept and an awesome setting. Story wasn't bad. Those of us who call ourselves fans think that if someone just takes it in and gives it decent gameplay, it would make a great game.

That could literally be said about dozens of shit games though, yet they aren't treated like diamonds in the rough.

Too Human deserves to die IMO, stand as Dyack's legacy.

ChrisCarTheMarauder:

Tahaneira:

ChrisCarTheMarauder:

That could literally be said about dozens of shit games though, yet they aren't treated like diamonds in the rough.

That's probably true. I can't speak for everyone else, but for me, though, the story was especially awesome. I'm slightly obsessed with old myths and religions, and I'm slightly obsessed with sci-fi, and this game brought them together in an incredibly badass way. It was imaginative, well-designed (story and setting wise), and full of potential. It was just brought down by several particularly disastrous design decisions.

It probably isn't rational. But hey, I liked it. Not your thing? That's cool. This one was our thing, and we're sad it didn't get a chance to shine. Sure, you can say that about a couple dozen other games. This one is ours.

So long as Dyack's associated with the project, I'm not touching it. That guy makes Phil Fish look like a Buddhist monk.

Parakeettheprawn:
So long as Dyack's associated with the project, I'm not touching it. That guy makes Phil Fish look like a Buddhist monk.

Both of those guys have their heads so far up their asses Neil deGrasse Tyson is still trying to theorize how they haven't destroyed the planet with sheer pretentiousness alone.

AzrealMaximillion:

Parakeettheprawn:

Both of those guys have their heads so far up their asses Neil deGrasse Tyson is still trying to theorize how they haven't destroyed the planet with sheer pretentiousness alone.

Yes, but somehow I can still at least respect Phil Fish since he seems to at least on some level accept that his opinions are his own and they sound crazy more often than not. Dyack is just an arrogant, childish prick, based on all that I've seen, heard, and read, from multiple sources and multiple opinions. Plus it comes across very evidently in Too Human's game design...

Parakeettheprawn:

AzrealMaximillion:

Parakeettheprawn:

Yes, but somehow I can still at least respect Phil Fish since he seems to at least on some level accept that his opinions are his own and they sound crazy more often than not. Dyack is just an arrogant, childish prick, based on all that I've seen, heard, and read, from multiple sources and multiple opinions. Plus it comes across very evidently in Too Human's game design...

I guess you haven't heard the recent crybaby antics of Phil Fish. He was recently blasting Valve on his Twitter for them taking a 30% cut of sales from Fez (which is public knowledge) and telling people to support upcoming the Humble Bundle specifically for HIS game so that he could get more money. Between that and the way he responded to being called out on Reddit its safe to say that Dyack and Fish are cut from the same cloth here. I'd say your statement falls more in like with Jonathon Blow.

AzrealMaximillion:

Parakeettheprawn:

AzrealMaximillion:

I guess you haven't heard the recent crybaby antics of Phil Fish. He was recently blasting Valve on his Twitter for them taking a 30% cut of sales from Fez (which is public knowledge) and telling people to support upcoming the Humble Bundle specifically for HIS game so that he could get more money. Between that and the way he responded to being called out on Reddit its safe to say that Dyack and Fish are cut from the same cloth here. I'd say your statement falls more in like with Jonathon Blow.

No... I heard... I just forgot, and yeah... that was just stupid. That said, I wouldn't say what I said about Fish ever about Blow. Blow is... some freakishly weird robot that made a game that for the life of me does not have the amazing impact it supposedly should have. In fact, it just seems like the stereotypical "quirky 2D platformer with a message" that almost any indie studio makes these days. It's usually either that or a Natural Selection 2-esque multiplayer title.

Parakeettheprawn:

AzrealMaximillion:

Parakeettheprawn:

No... I heard... I just forgot, and yeah... that was just stupid. That said, I wouldn't say what I said about Fish ever about Blow. Blow is... some freakishly weird robot that made a game that for the life of me does not have the amazing impact it supposedly should have. In fact, it just seems like the stereotypical "quirky 2D platformer with a message" that almost any indie studio makes these days. It's usually either that or a Natural Selection 2-esque multiplayer title.

I'll give you that. While Braid is just so run of the mill it hurts, at least Jonathan Blow's sanctimonious complaints were warranted when it came to how MS handled it. He also didn't make some claim that his game was "built for the console because that's where the money is at". That was another great gem from Mr. Phil Fish. And only to be called out on Reddit for that statement when he decided not even half a year later to release it on Steam. His response was that he did it, "for the money."

That's why I couldn't readily recommend Indie Game: The Movie. The Super Meat Boy developers were the only ones that showed a bit of class, while Blow and Fish were just narcissistic. That and the filmmakers were caught kind of throwing Phil Fish's partner under the bus in a big way. When 2 days after the movie's release they had to change one of the credit notes from "Fish's ex-partner asked not to participate in the film", to "Fish's ex-partner was not asked to participate in this movie", it threw any credibility of Phil Fish's part of the movie (the longest part too) right out the window. They just let Fish trash his ex-partner and didn't even bother to get the other side of the story. That's pretty bad for a documentary film to do.

AzrealMaximillion:

Parakeettheprawn:

AzrealMaximillion:

I'll give you that. While Braid is just so run of the mill it hurts, at least Jonathan Blow's sanctimonious complaints were warranted when it came to how MS handled it. He also didn't make some claim that his game was "built for the console because that's where the money is at". That was another great gem from Mr. Phil Fish. And only to be called out on Reddit for that statement when he decided not even half a year later to release it on Steam. His response was that he did it, "for the money."

That's why I couldn't readily recommend Indie Game: The Movie. The Super Meat Boy developers were the only ones that showed a bit of class, while Blow and Fish were just narcissistic. That and the filmmakers were caught kind of throwing Phil Fish's partner under the bus in a big way. When 2 days after the movie's release they had to change one of the credit notes from "Fish's ex-partner asked not to participate in the film", to "Fish's ex-partner was not asked to participate in this movie", it threw any credibility of Phil Fish's part of the movie (the longest part too) right out the window. They just let Fish trash his ex-partner and didn't even bother to get the other side of the story. That's pretty bad for a documentary film to do.

*Sigh* Yeah... I didn't know that detail, unfortunately, until now. That... makes it a lot worse.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here