Insomniac "Not Working" on the Wii U

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Insomniac "Not Working" on the Wii U

Wii U

Insomniac CEO Ted Price is excited about next generation consoles but doesn't consider the Wii U one of them.

Nintendo's suffered a few setbacks in its efforts to bring third party developers to the Wii U. While it boasts support from companies like Ubisoft and Disney, there have been an increasing number of studios indicating that they're going to pass on developing for the console. Just Cause 2-developer Avalanche Studios recently said its Wii U dev kits were "collecting dust." Similarly, Battlefield-makers DICE have said its new Frostbite 3 engine likely won't run on the Wii U, potentially limiting future releases from the developer and publisher Electronic Arts.

Now, Insomniac Games founder and CEO Ted Price has said the company is currently foregoing Wii U development. "We're not working on games for it," said Price, answering a fan inquiry during a Reddit Q and A session. Price expressed greater interest in next generation consoles. "When it comes to PS4 I'm excited that they seem to lowering barriers for independent developers. It's cool to see almost weekly announcements from Sony explaining how they're opening things up for indies. And of course I'm very excited to see what Microsoft announces soon." Price didn't count the Wii U in the category of next generation consoles. "Wii U is something I'd consider more current gen."

It's worth noting that Insomniac, the studio behind Resistance, Ratchet & Clank and the upcoming game Fuse, is only one company. That said, Price's comments highlight a problem Nintendo could potentially face more of in the future. With Wii U sales lower than expected and its user base still relatively small, developers might opt to forego development for the console. This may not be a live or die problem for Nintendo, which has often been able to rely on its stable of first-party games for success. That said, it could prove an obstruction to the company's efforts to court third party developers and expand the Wii U's beyond fans of its core franchises.

Source: Reddit

Well this is unexpected.... *trying to keep a straight face*

Seriously, I can't stop laughing about how stupid Nintendo has been with the development of the WiiU(NoGoodHardware)...

nodlimax:
Well this is unexpected.... *trying to keep a straight face*

Seriously, I can't stop laughing about how stupid Nintendo has been with the development of the WiiU(NoGoodHardware)...

It's not quite that time yet, the 3DS was looking pretty stupid in it's first year and Nintendo managed to push through. At there worst case scenario they've still got the Zelda/Mario/Metroid millions who are going to go for them no matter what and that can make the platform hard to ignore

...but by the end of the year I'll be laughing too :P The 3DS didn't have the competition. We're still waiting on Sony telling us the PS4 will cost $1 bajillion and MS are ready to announce that you now have an optional $20/day 'service', where after paying they'll show you some ads and then maybe let you get to the start screen of your game ...but barring complete failure I can't see the Wii U keeping pace

Has Insomniac made anything for the XBox either? I thought they were almost exclusively Sony anyway. I expect I'm wrong, since that would kind of negate the point of the article, but I honestly can't think of anything Insomniac has made for a console that is not of the PlayStation brand.

Lvl 64 Klutz:
Has Insomniac made anything for the XBox either? I thought they were almost exclusively Sony anyway. I expect I'm wrong, since that would kind of negate the point of the article, but I honestly can't think of anything Insomniac has made for a console that is not of the PlayStation brand.

Fuse is being made with an EA partnership, and I think is going to be on the 360 too. Though I think they also have a division within the company that works on mobile games too? But ya, mostly Sony and I agree with your thoughts ("We won't work with WiiU" says developer who's 90% of games are with Sony platforms).

still think this is a pretty chicken and egg thing here

i don't really know where sony's bar is, we only have the words of others to go on

Lvl 64 Klutz:
Has Insomniac made anything for the XBox either?

Besides Fuse and a Flash game, nope. In almost twenty years Insomniac have all but exclusively worked on Playstation titles.

Which makes me wonder why this is news, it's like Naughty Dog or 343 announcing they won't be making Nintendo compatible titles. Did Sony put them up to this? Hey not-quite first party studio, spread some FUD about a competitor for us please.

fix-the-spade:

Lvl 64 Klutz:
Has Insomniac made anything for the XBox either?

Besides Fuse and a Flash game, nope. In almost twenty years Insomniac have all but exclusively worked on Playstation titles.

Which makes me wonder why this is news, it's like Naughty Dog or 343 announcing they won't be making Nintendo compatible titles. Did Sony put them up to this? Hey not-quite first party studio, spread some FUD about a competitor for us please.

I think the problem is that, now outside maybe one franchise, Insomniac is going fully third party and willing to work with more then just Sony. Considering I believe they want to make more Fuse games, meaning you would probably expect it to hit Wii U, but now it is doubtable.

Does anyone really consider the Wii-U next gen?

Lvl 64 Klutz:

They stopped doing Sony exclusives and parted ways. Now they're developing for Microsoft and Sony with plans to make PC games. So it's news because a developer was actively looking to go multiplatform and decided the Wii U wasn't worth their time.

It's not news in the respect that lots of Nintendo fans are going to be disappointed. (Which is a shame because Ratchett & Clank rocks)

The Wii U is 2 years too late. I'm sure it'd be more exciting then. And if they didn't call it the Wii U. Man, Captain Hindsight needs to visit the Nintendo headquarters.

DVS BSTrD:

I recall a guy on this site making a thread weeks ago trying to convince people the Wii U was a next-gen console. Not surprisingly his reasoning had more holes than a spaghetti strainer and he convinced absolutely no one.

DVS BSTrD:

Die-hard Nintendo fans I think consider it next gen. Frankly it feels like a console that's finally catching up to this gen. I mean the system is about as much an upgrade as the smaller versions of the 360 and PS3 were. I would say that I wish Nintendo would bring their A game back to the console party, but I think they lost it somewhere between the Gamecube and Wii.

DVS BSTrD:

If people consider the Wii to be in the same generation as 360/PS3, and not in the PS2/GCN/Xbox generation, there's no reason why Wii U shouldn't be considered the same generation as PS4/Nextbox.

I think it's a bit ridiculous that devs aren't supporting the Wii U because it's not "next-gen", anyhow. The belief that you aren't moving forward if you're creating a game on a platform with weaker specs just doesn't hold up; it's not the size, it's how you use it, etc.

I'm not going to argue that their time is better spent supporting the Wii U than a platform on which they can fully achieve the vision for their game, but I would argue that thinking laterally is just as beneficial as thinking vertically. The Wii U has just as many opportunities for great games as the PS4/Nextbox if they'd only give it a chance.

So... Where is Jeffers to glorify Nintendo and try to smite the Insomniac heathens? :/

Scribblesense:

DVS BSTrD:

The Wii U has just as many opportunities for great games as the PS4/Nextbox if they'd only give it a chance.

No it doesn't. By definition, older hardware imposes greater limitations. Graphics, AI, all less on the U.

Eri:
No it doesn't. By definition, older hardware imposes greater limitations. Graphics, AI, all less on the U.

By definition, the PS4 is older hardware. (Than a similarly-priced PC, priced when the PS4 actually launches.)

DVS BSTrD:

By the textbook definition of the term (meaning the time period in which it is released), yes, it is next-gen.

People for some reason seem to think that the "generation" of a console has something to do with its graphics, despite the fact that it never has or will. The term "generation" has been around long before video games were even a "thing", and the definition as it applies to video game consoles has ALWAYS been to refer to the time period during which a console was released. Thus it is technically accurate to state that the Wii U and Ouya are both part of the next console generation, though you could easily argue they're in different tiers of competition.

I've never understood WHY people make this mistake, because graphical quality has never been the case with regards to generation gaps in consoles. The term's always referred to the time period of release. If it were based on graphics, there'd be way more "generations" than there are right now and they'd be much more spread out across much larger periods of time, since within each generation the consoles very rarely had the exact same graphical specifications.

Now, it's fair to say that the graphics and hardware of the Wii U make it feel more like a console trying to catch up to the more powerful consoles from the current generation. But it's still technically "next-gen" by virtue of being created several years after the previous generation of consoles.

People need to use their words properly. It's fine to attack Wii U for its flaws, just attack it the right way. "Its hardware is terrible" is acceptable and can be discussed in a civil forum....whereas "it's a last gen console" makes you look like you don't know what the word "generation" means and should be sent back to high school to complete a remedial English.

Lvl 64 Klutz:

FUSE

FUSE

and

FUSE

That's all they've made for the Xbox 360, and it isn't even released yet. That said, I still wish they'd consider PC gaming since the 360 is basically a budget PC in a console shell.

A company that has spent the majority of it's career making Sony exclusives and is making it's first ever third party game published by EA is not making a game for a Nintendo system?

I'm shocked. So shocked. I just can't believe it.

I could have sworn Insomniac was a Sony-exclusive production house...I admit I could be wrong about that but I'm still going to wonder out loud about 343 studios developing for the U. In all honesty though; it would be nice if more companies were developing for the U. Oh well, the big names are still being developed so as long as we get the Nintendo properties most-is-well for me.

The Wii U is reminding me more and more of Dreamcast... except in Dreamcast's case it was actually ahead of its time.

KeyMaster45:

DVS BSTrD:

Die-hard Nintendo fans I think consider it next gen. Frankly it feels like a console that's finally catching up to this gen. I mean the system is about as much an upgrade as the smaller versions of the 360 and PS3 were. I would say that I wish Nintendo would bring their A game back to the console party, but I think they lost it somewhere between the Gamecube and Wii.

^^This. People point out "Oh the Wii U is getting cool adult games like Deus Ex. Its a next gen console!" Except I got to enjoy Deus Ex when it came out years ago. Nintendo is literally playing catch up on games that should have come out for the Wii. There's no excuse. Hardware may have not been important in the GC, ps2, xbox era but it became important this gen and Nintendo dropped the ball and we got a retread of gamecube-like games with motion controls and slight internet connectivity

Bottom line, I consider the Wii U "next gen" in big finger quotes. We will see some interesting games from Nintendo (probably) but other developers have been dealing with the Wii U's level of tech for 7 years and are ready to move on

Korten12:
So... Where is Jeffers to glorify Nintendo and try to smite the Insomniac heathens? :/

I like how he's that famous for being the escapist's official Nintendo fanboy. We all must have argued with him at some point. He probably had an aneurysm when he read the title. Or he's still typing his rage post about how this is "completely unfair".

To be honest, he doesn't seem all that bad when he's not talking about Nintendo :\

Edit:
Best description of the Wii U: It is next gen, but looks an awful lot like the last gen

I would get a WiiU But:
1. I travel almost every day, as such I need to carry my gaming with me. Enter my laptop, phone and DSi.
2. I want to play games I can't on my laptop.
3. At home the TV is still CRT so I think it would be a waste.

As a result of this I can't see myself getting any new consoles. I do like Nintendo though and consider the WiiU a next gen console.

bollocks, double post

Poor WiiU, i guess lightening doesnt strike twice. lol

CriticKitten:
snip

You know, language has a way of changing and evolving.

When a word no longer fits its previous definition it changes.

That is happening to the word 'generation' in gaming, as it hasnt been around long and its really still trying to find its place.

If 1/3 of consoles being pushed out are constantly underpowered and only really comparable to the consoles that came before it, definitions will adjust for that.

Personally while the Wii U may technically be considered eighth generation by current definitions I would consider it to be a proper entry in the 7th generation, or maybe somewhere around 7.5

Meh, never been a fan of Insomniac Anyways (I tried a Ratchet and Clank game, but I never really got into it. Wasn't a fan of the PS2 either). Still, at least they come out and admit they aren't working on the WiiU, unlike some developers I know who say they are when they really aren't (Cough cough EA cough cough), so at least they're honest. I still wish them luck with Fuse though.

Isn't Insomniac only developing things for Sony, and has been doing so for... forever? I'm surprised they'd say anything positive about anyone else than sony.

Wenseph:
Isn't Insomniac only developing things for Sony, and has been doing so for... forever? I'm surprised they'd say anything positive about anyone else than sony.

No, they're about to release Fuse which is PS3 and 360, and I believe they said they're going to also start releasing games for PC.

Eri:

Scribblesense:

DVS BSTrD:

The Wii U has just as many opportunities for great games as the PS4/Nextbox if they'd only give it a chance.

The argument you make is pretty much flawed and has already been proven wrong by the success of the wii in the last gen. Arguing that the wiiU is underpowered and therefor impossible to develop for is also a silly argument to make, as most developers won't come close to bringing out things that truly look and behave differently from what we can get on current gen hardware; at least, not for a while. Hell the PS3 is more powerful then the 360, and unless you are play VERY specific games (like God of war 3) you can't even really tell how powerful that console is.

Here is the problem... it's no longer a matter of means, it's a matter of money. Look how amazing Avatar (the movie) looks. That's where CGI technology is now. So why does WarZ and other CGI heavy movies look like they were made a decade ago? Because that's what they can afford to do, and Avatar grade CGI is out of the reach of most movie makers. Most developers only have the resources to make games equivalent to what we have now, and they cannot afford the money, time and resources it would take to make something that looks and behaves truly next-gen. Hence why so many people are talking about a coming crash. Why do you think so many studios are closing down right now? So many people are being let go? The industry is restructuring itself in preparation for a change a lot of them know they cannot make.

Seeing all these companies gloat that their new so&so engine won't work on the wiiU is an irrelevant and pointless statement to make, especially when so many more companies can only produce wiiU/360/PS3 quality games anyway.

DVS BSTrD:

I do, in the fact that it is centered frivolous gimmick nonsense rather then gaming, just like the PS4 and Xbox Infinity are. It is very much next gen, yes. Behold the bright future of gaming!

So...? Insomniac is a Sony studio. Not to mention they've given up on making good games.

I cannot describe in words the utter amusement theses threads provide. Not because I think Nintendo is going to "pull through and be awesome", I don't think that at all, but the 'selective memory' being displayed is just astonishing. A terrible start for the PS4 is basically guaranteed already; Sony's launches loose more and more momentum with each console. It took the PS3 a whole gen to catch up with it's competitor in sales. I wonder how these new A.D.D. ridden gamers will feel about a new console, especially once they realize it can't do anything but play a few launch games (no backwards compatibility) and then the tumbleweeds will set in and everyone will be predicting doom and gloom, like they did with the PS3/3DS, not realizing that games take time to make, now more then ever.

With costs rising as high as they have, and the casual market playing with yoyos and chasing butterflies; all three consoles are going to have an up hill battle on their hands. Insomniac and other developers are saying bad things about the wiiU and good things about the PS4/Xbox Infinity. That's fine, but just remember that developers also bullshitted everyone about how awesome the wiiU was and how many games they were going to make for it to, and that was just at the start of this year. Don't let their boasting hype you into a delusional state. At least make them work a little to manipulate you.

Too bad no matter HOW powerful something is, guys like Insomniac always squander the potential of said power.

EHKOS:
So...? Insomniac is a Sony studio. Not to mention they've given up on making good games.

Insomniac is no longer a Sony studio. They went multiplatform

Eri:

Scribblesense:

DVS BSTrD:

The games on the WiiU may be behind in terms of specs compared to games on the other consoles but I believe the touch-screen controller more than makes up for it. The extra-screen provides opportunities for games that would be impossible to pull off on the other consoles and this is where the WiiU can really shine. I'd even say it has more opportunities because of this. Developers need to take advantage of it and do something -forgive my language- innovative. As j-e-f-f-e-r-s has pointed out many times before, a proper console strategy game could be produced! Asymmetrical gaming with the Pro Controller, hell even NDS-style aiming with the touch-screen.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here