Insomniac "Not Working" on the Wii U

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

I bought the Wii U to play nintendo games. As long as nintendo is still making games, I can't bring myself to care about whether Ratchet and clank or Just Cause three is going to be available on the wii U. If I'm going to play a bland Triple A game I'll buy it off steam and play it on my computer so that the shades of grey and brown will look much smoother.

and .... ?

They make shooters now it seems so I couldn't care less WHAT they make or what it's for.

This has nothing to do with the WiiU's power and everything to do with its sluggish sales. If the WiiU started selling a at much higher volumes then developers would be releasing games for it. Of course that is a bit of a chicken and egg issue.
The other thing the WiiU has going against it is that because it will be so much weaker than the two major new consoles coming out it may take more work for a multiplatform release to support the WiiU, discouraging large AAA games from making an appearance on the WiiU. Time will tell how this all shakes out. Perhaps all the consoles will see sluggish sales and the age of consoles is coming to an end.

Desert Punk:
You know, language has a way of changing and evolving.

When a word no longer fits its previous definition it changes.

That is happening to the word 'generation' in gaming, as it hasnt been around long and its really still trying to find its place.

If 1/3 of consoles being pushed out are constantly underpowered and only really comparable to the consoles that came before it, definitions will adjust for that.

Personally while the Wii U may technically be considered eighth generation by current definitions I would consider it to be a proper entry in the 7th generation, or maybe somewhere around 7.5

Except that's not what is happening here.

This isn't language "changing and evolving", this is several very stubborn people ignoring the definition of a word that everyone else uses, simply because they want it to mean something other than what it actually means.

"Generation" refers to a time period. Not the quality of the graphics. If you want to hate on hardware, fine, but stop butchering the English language while you do.

CriticKitten:
By the textbook definition of the term (meaning the time period in which it is released), yes, it is next-gen.

Can I get a citation on that? I don't think I've ever seen a definition for "console generation" and would be grateful to read a "textbook" one.

Tanakh:

CriticKitten:
By the textbook definition of the term (meaning the time period in which it is released), yes, it is next-gen.

Can I get a citation on that? I don't think I've ever seen a definition for "console generation" and would be grateful to read a "textbook" one.

Go get a dictionary and look it up. Shouldn't take you very long. :p

CriticKitten:

Desert Punk:
You know, language has a way of changing and evolving.

When a word no longer fits its previous definition it changes.

That is happening to the word 'generation' in gaming, as it hasnt been around long and its really still trying to find its place.

If 1/3 of consoles being pushed out are constantly underpowered and only really comparable to the consoles that came before it, definitions will adjust for that.

Personally while the Wii U may technically be considered eighth generation by current definitions I would consider it to be a proper entry in the 7th generation, or maybe somewhere around 7.5

Except that's not what is happening here.

This isn't language "changing and evolving", this is several very stubborn people ignoring the way that everyone else uses the definition of a word because they want it to mean something other than what it actually means.

Everyone else meaning "those that want to say it the way I like." if I wanted to play that game I would retort that only fan boys and girls are being stuborn and consider the WiiU a member of the next generation, everyone else considers it a proper entry into the current generation.

And there is no real definition of "Console Generation" if we were going by REAL definition of the word generation the Game cube, Wii, WiiU, XBox, Xbox 360, Xbox Infinite, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, and Playstation 4 are all part of the same generation as an accepted generation is roughly 30 years.

CriticKitten:

If it was that easy I would have just googled it. In fact I don't think there exists a single definition of "console generation" from a reputable source, you seemed to know one, that's why I was asking.

If you do not know... I suggest not to act like it in your posts.

People can complain all they want about hardware specs with processing power and RAM, but at the end of the day, if a game can run on the PS4 or the NextBox (infinity was just some joke on Reddit), it can run on my PC. All I need is a 360 controller or a PS3 controller and MotioninJoy. If a game can run on the Wii U, it can still run on my PC, but I would need a custom rig for the touch screen and motion controls. That is why I mainly care about the Wii U for the 8th gen. It's the only home console that I can't just replace with a PC (barring exclusives, of course).

The Apple BOOM:
People can complain all they want about hardware specs with processing power and RAM, but at the end of the day, if a game can run on the PS4 or the NextBox (infinity was just some joke on Reddit), it can run on my PC. All I need is a 360 controller or a PS3 controller and MotioninJoy. If a game can run on the Wii U, it can still run on my PC, but I would need a custom rig for the touch screen and motion controls. That is why I mainly care about the Wii U for the 8th gen. It's the only home console that I can't just replace with a PC (barring exclusives, of course).

Actually, WiiU and Wii controllers can be used very easily with the PC, they are just bluetooth devices that connect wirelessly to a dongle you can pick up for 20 dollars or so.

I was playing Halflife 2 with the Wii motes for the novelty of it years ago!

Hell if you own a Wii you can just download a Wii Emulator for your PC and run the games BETTER than the console they were designed for!

Tanakh:

CriticKitten:

If it was that easy I would have just googled it. In fact I don't think there exists a single definition of "console generation" from a reputable source, you seemed to know one, that's why I was asking.

I guess I'm to presume that the folks at Wikipedia just made it up then?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_video_games

Turns out it really is that easy to find. Took me five seconds and I didn't even have to try that hard.

So the fact that you didn't find it means you weren't trying. You're precisely the sort of person I'm talking about.

Desert Punk:
Everyone else meaning "those that want to say it the way I like." if I wanted to play that game I would retort that only fan boys and girls are being stuborn and consider the WiiU a member of the next generation, everyone else considers it a proper entry into the current generation.

Except that we know that isn't how it works, because a true definition does in fact exist.

So really it's more like a person trying to pretend that giraffes don't exist because there is no definition of "giraffe" while ignoring the multitude of evidence that giraffes exist.

Stop pretending that giraffes don't exist.

And there is no real definition of "Console Generation" if we were going by REAL definition of the word generation the Game cube, Wii, WiiU, XBox, Xbox 360, Xbox Infinite, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, and Playstation 4 are all part of the same generation as an accepted generation is roughly 30 years.

http://segaretro.org/Generations_of_video_games

Two links which refute your point. Not to mention the abundance of other links throughout the internet which refer to console "generations".

Can we stop pretending that a well-defined term doesn't actually exist and use English, now?

CriticKitten:

Tanakh:

CriticKitten:

Turns out it really is that easy to find. Took me five seconds and I didn't even have to try that hard.

So the fact that you didn't find it means you weren't trying. You're precisely the sort of person I'm talking about.

Desert Punk:

Except that we know that isn't how it works, because a true definition does in fact exist.

So really it's more like a person trying to pretend that giraffes don't exist because there is no definition of "giraffe" while ignoring the multitude of evidence that giraffes exist.

Stop pretending that giraffes don't exist.

Two links which refute your point. Not to mention the abundance of other links throughout the internet which refer to console "generations".

Can we stop pretending that a well-defined term doesn't actually exist and use English, now?

Alright, I will accept One of your links

Seventh generation

Time period: 2004 to present.

The WiiU is part of the current generation.

Desert Punk:
Alright, I will accept One of your links

Seventh generation

Time period: 2004 to present.

The WiiU is part of the current generation.

And the other one doesn't.

And neither do any of the thousands of other sites out there that say otherwise.

But I know you're just going to keep harping on that point ad infinitum like you've won some sort of big victory, so I'll save my energy.

Fappy:
The Wii U is reminding me more and more of Dreamcast... except in Dreamcast's case it was actually ahead of its time.

I'd say its more like the Saturn. Released before any good games got on it while making the 3rd party publishers not want to support it.

Hmph.

I don't care about this. Rewind a few years and you see the same stuff regarding the PS3. Remember when it was so complicated and weird to develop for that no one wanted to do it?

The only ball nintendo has dropped is that theres STILL no mario, link, or metroid out for the wii u. Whats the point of a new wii without a new metroid mario or link? They could have delivered it this month and it would be grabbing all the headlines.

Tanakh:
Snip

Protip - Don't try to argue with someone who thinks :-

A : Wikipedia is a credible source for citation
B : Thinks that "The guys from Wikipedia" actually create every page themselves
C : Really, that guy thought both of the above were true

;), I love the internet sometimes.

DVS BSTrD:
Does anyone really consider the Wii-U next gen?

OT: This really isn't surprising, Insomniac has pretty much been a Sony developer since the beginning. Now, if it was EA, or Activision that came out and said "nope.mp3" then I might be a bit more surprised.

But really, when you essentially re-release your console with the only major addition being a really weird controller that is used in very awkward gameplay mechanics [ZombiU, anyone?], with the next generation of consoles nearing their reveals and releases, what can you expect other than developers not wanting to waste time with your console when, yet again, newer consoles are just about to be released.

It would be like Sony or Microsoft immediately reveal the Playstation 5 and Xbox 1080: Extreme Snowboarding Edition right after launch of the PS4 and Xbox 720.

CriticKitten:

Ahh... bro, what I asked for was:

CriticKitten:

Guess I was hoping for a intensional definition of it, you know, an actual definition. The link you gave me never defines what a console generation is (like at all, unless my memory betrays me) or what is required to be in one, but it is obviously not the "time period" of release because several generations overlap, thus I would recommend you to reconsider your posts.

It does says that the WiiU is part of the eight generation, however I fail to see why. They could as easily grouped it in the seventh, or having it being the first of the ninth. In the old times the processing power seemed to be the reason to inaugure a new gen, as such it could easily be put on a ps3 generation.

Vivi22:

DVS BSTrD:

snip

KeyMaster45:

snap

Scribblesense:

snup

Well if we look at the word "generation" it's something that refers to time and not how effective something is.
And since (is it gen8??) the WiiU is 1 year earler than the next PS and Xbox, while the wii, 360 and ps3 are from around 2006, I guess the English language really decides it is in the current generation.

Is it as powerful as the PS and Xbox in 6 months?
with a 98% chanse it's not.

Did Nintendo fail?
Remains to be seen, the WiiU has been out 6 months, who knows what happens in the future?

Also as someone mentioned already, having a dev that has released 95% of it's games on the PS and never earlier on a Nintendo console this isn't really news, it's like asking Ferrari to make me a birthdaycake.

There, happy now that someone defended the console? :D

KelDG:

Wikipedia is a great source, especially for hard sciences like math or physics. Not so much for stuff where opinion is an issue.

No-one considers the Wii-U next gen. Just because it's released around the time of the next console gen's kick-off (not even that really) definitely doesn't make it next gen. Especially considering the mediocre hardware they put in it which, is easily surpassed by current gen consoles. The limitations on the Wii-U are countless and will only become more glaring as time moves on.

Besides, Insomniac makes games for gamers not casuals, which is all Nintendo has been interested in nowadays.

Lest we forget; Nintendo are forcing developers , yet again, to force gimmicky nonsense into their game design. Nintendo couldn't care less about difficulties they impose on developers and that will come back to bite them when only a select few bother to develop for it.

Enough with the gimmicky crap Nintendo; stop with the production of electronic toys, you're a game publisher, publish some decent games again and all will be well.

Guffe:

Well if we look at the word "generation" it's something that refers to time and not how effective something is.
And since (is it gen8??) the WiiU is 1 year earler than the next PS and Xbox, while the wii, 360 and ps3 are from around 2006, I guess the English language really decides it is in the current generation.

I see this argument far too often (it was already used once in this thread), and calling it an argument is rather generous if you ask me; a smart-ass remark by people trying to sound clever is more like it. It can, however, still be countered by pointing to a pair of other Nintendo products; the gameboy advanced and DS.

The two are without question in two separate generations of hand-held consoles, however both saw multiple incarnations within their generation. Though I believe this defies the scholarly definition of generation, their base models and subsequent siblings are still lumped into two distinct generations by the gaming industry. The GBA saw the release of the GBA SP, and the DS has seen the DS Lite, DS XL, and DSi. Going further back we can also look at the Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, and Gameboy Color. [1][2]

Though these many separate pieces of hardware most assuredly carry different functions and build upon the previous models they are still considered to be within only three distinct console generations when spoken of within the gaming industry and community. This is why the WiiU is not considered to be a next generation console. Nintendo has produced what is essentially a new Gameboy; it's the same system as its predecessor but with more bells and whistles. That it will be made obsolete within the year only cements that reality.

The point I'm driving at is that the word generation has a different meaning in the realm of gaming; it's jargon we toss around that has little attachment to it's definition in Webster's or Oxford's dictionary. Trying to use that definition as a basis for negating valid criticism and arguments is annoyingly pointless.

[1] Since a GB Color game could still be played on the original Gameboy, just without the color.
[2] Though really the GBA was just a widescreen GB Color; hence the ease of backwards compatibility

I just bought one for Monster Hunter...

That's how badly I want to play Monster Hunter right now.

I hope they release more Monster Hunter :3

Scribblesense:

DVS BSTrD:

If people consider the Wii to be in the same generation as 360/PS3, and not in the PS2/GCN/Xbox generation, there's no reason why Wii U shouldn't be considered the same generation as PS4/Nextbox.

I think it's a bit ridiculous that devs aren't supporting the Wii U because it's not "next-gen", anyhow. The belief that you aren't moving forward if you're creating a game on a platform with weaker specs just doesn't hold up; it's not the size, it's how you use it, etc.

I'm not going to argue that their time is better spent supporting the Wii U than a platform on which they can fully achieve the vision for their game, but I would argue that thinking laterally is just as beneficial as thinking vertically. The Wii U has just as many opportunities for great games as the PS4/Nextbox if they'd only give it a chance.

Next-gen or not is not the problem. It's whether they can recoup their development cost.

There is a reason no one developers for the PS2 anymore.

Sure you can burn money and make a Wii U game ... which will be stand next on the shelf to a PS4/Xboxwhatever game. Come Christmas, when people might be in the mood to get a next-gen console, which "bundle" do you think they will get?

Ya ya ya, the WiiU is underpowered compared to other consoles, nothing will run on it, it's old tech, there's just nothing you can do. Blah blah blah tech stuff blah blah

At least you know Nintendo will support their console with lots of good first part titles, even if nobody else will, just like they have to every generation.

OlasDAlmighty:
Ya ya ya, the WiiU is underpowered compared to other consoles, nothing will run on it, it's old tech, there's just nothing you can do. Blah blah blah tech stuff blah blah

At least you know Nintendo will support their console with lots of good first part titles, even if nobody else will, just like they have to every generation.

Nintendo will support it's own console with Nintendo titles?

I must alert the masses and spread the word!

'Nintendo will release Nintendo games on it's own console!'

Truly, thank you for opening my eyes.

Too much? :D

KeyMaster45:

Guffe:

I see this argument far too often and calling it an argument is rather generous if you ask me; a smart-ass remark by people trying to sound clever is more like it.

IT'S A BINGGGOOOOO!!!

That's exactly what I did there, be a smart-ass!
Just because I could, semi-trolling so to say.

There was a thread a few days ago in which the OP asked which "classic debate" you hate the most, my answer being "the console war".
I hate this debate to every little inch of it. The thing is, I started playing on the NES/SNES and when I started to understand games a little I got the N64. At the pinnacle of my gaming I had the GameCube which I played a lot of games on. Then there came the Wii, which I actually liked, I had no problems with the motion controll in any game, not Skyward Sword, not Force Unleashed, not Red Steel (II), not DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi (II and III).... I don't know if that's because I am good at using it or just such a bad gamer that I don't notice its flaws. Now I have the WiiU and have played over 10 games on it already, Batman, AssCreed, Darksiders etc. All being ports but also ZombiU and Nintendoland being the best party game by a mile in YEARS! And old Wii games I still hadn't got/played.

I play Nintendo because of one reason, I like it, I don't care if people call them "not this gen", "underpowered", "a gimmick". For me that plays no role. I play games because I like/enjoy them, Nintendo has yet not dissapointed ME so I stick with them. Fuck the PS/Xbos has futuristic hardware stuff, I don't care. I like my nintendo and until I AM disspaointed I'll continue buying their consoles and games. This is the only reason that matters to me, how much I enjoy my/their games.

And at least among my friends and gamers in my town, most have stuck with the same console they started with, if we want another experience you can always try them a friends.

I got a bit going there because I seriously don't care what people think about me and my gaming habits, I play a console I like, hell the last game I payed was Ocarina of Time on N64 which I finished yesterday, and that hardware is some serious blasphemy to the current gen?? So how can I play that??!!
Play games you enjoy, on consoles you like, and stopping acting like some superior being. All consoles have their faults and all have their good parts, in the end it's all a matter of taste!

Go back to Sony Insomniac you're drunk. Seriously though, the first game they make for cross platform seemed interesting before the EA Marketing department came into a design meeting.

can we just accept "Console Generation" as "the point at which games are not forward compatible"?

the PS2 couldn't play PS3 games, the gamecube couldn't play wii games, the xbox couldn't play 360 games, the wii can't play wiiU games, and the PS3 won't play PS4 games.

the pattern has repeated itself since the beginning of gaming, and that's the one pattern all console generations share other than their lifespans.

plus, do people REALLY want people to be comparing the PS4 to a last gen console? "oh? it's better than the wiiU is it, whoop de fucking doo, newsflash: my PS3 was better than the gamecube"

Tanakh:

Fine it's a next-gen console ... with last gen's hardware.

A next gen console case with last gen's internals.

Happy?

A Ferrari with a Ford Model-T engine is still a Ferrari right?

KelDG:

Tanakh:
Snip

Protip - Don't try to argue with someone who thinks :-

;), I love the internet sometimes.

Wikipedia is a perfectly credible source. More so than not having one, in fact. While it's true that Wikipedia can be sabotaged by other users, in general it contains far more citations and credible information than virtually any other site on the internet. Which is why, even though many academics frown upon you using it directly as a source, no one will bat so much as an eye at you using Wikipedia's citations as a source for your information (even though in general the content from both sites are nearly identical).

So basically, the negative stigma surrounding Wikipedia is pretty stupid, perpetuated only by keyboard warriors who want to dismiss valid criticisms of their stance by pretending that Wikipedia is always wrong simply because it's an open source reference guide.

Speaking of which, where's YOUR sources proving me wrong?

Oh, don't have any? Thought not. Bye then.

Tanakh:
Guess I was hoping for a intensional definition of it, you know, an actual definition. The link you gave me never defines what a console generation is (like at all, unless my memory betrays me) or what is required to be in one, but it is obviously not the "time period" of release because several generations overlap, thus I would recommend you to reconsider your posts.

It does says that the WiiU is part of the eight generation, however I fail to see why. They could as easily grouped it in the seventh, or having it being the first of the ninth. In the old times the processing power seemed to be the reason to inaugure a new gen, as such it could easily be put on a ps3 generation.

Why would the Wii U be grouped as part of the seventh generation when it was released five years after the previous generation's last entry?

Generations overlap because people continue to make games for the older generations after a new generation begins, and a generation doesn't officially "end" until games are no longer made for it. That is why numerous generations overlap, it's got nothing to do with hardware and everything to do with sales and usage of their software. This is why when people refer to the exceedingly long time span of time that XP was in service, they include several years of Vista's lifespan as well: because many people were still using it and development of software was still done with XP in mind. People didn't just stop using XP altogether, they kept using it for many years after Vista was already out, thus those years of usage are still counted among XP's many years of service. Software, not being largely concrete in its nature, will tend to produce overlap until the people developing for it decide to quit. Hardware can often work the same way, provided it's phased in and out (like military hardware often is).

So, again, you're pretending that an established definition doesn't exist when it most certainly does. And the only reason that you're pretending it doesn't exist is so that you can live in a fantasy where the new Nintendo console isn't part of the "next generation" simply because it severely lags behind in processing power. Which is just ridiculous.

The Wii U's hardware sucks. Fair enough. Perfectly acceptable if you think so. But let's stop trying to pretend it's not an eighth generation console entry, because it's already been widely accepted as one. That's why I'm okay with posts that say things like this:

deadish:
Fine it's a next-gen console ... with last gen's hardware.

A next gen console case with last gen's internals.

Happy?

A Ferrari with a Ford Model-T engine is still a Ferrari right?

And not fine with things that say this:

DVS BSTrD:

One is a perfectly valid criticism of the new console's lacking hardware. The other is a stupid point of view perpetuated by people who refuse to acknowledge that "generation" has a definition and that they're using it wrong.

Know the difference.

CriticKitten:
Wikipedia is a perfectly credible source. More so than not having one, in fact. While it's true that Wikipedia can be sabotaged by other users, in general it contains far more citations and credible information than virtually any other site on the internet. Which is why, even though many academics frown upon you using it directly as a source, no one will bat so much as an eye at you using Wikipedia's citations as a source for your information (even though in general the content from both sites are nearly identical).

So basically, the negative stigma surrounding Wikipedia is pretty stupid, perpetuated only by keyboard warriors who want to dismiss valid criticisms of their stance by pretending that Wikipedia is always wrong simply because it's an open source reference guide.

Speaking of which, where's YOUR sources proving me wrong?

Oh, don't have any? Thought not. Bye then.

Wikipedia is not a credible source, it has links to citation which CAN be credible, but I bet you can't provide a credible source from the article you linked before.

Oh while you were riding your high horse, you probably didn't notice but I did not take sides in the argument so I don't need to prove anything, especially to you, I frankly thing your argument with the other guy is stupid. I just pointed out Wiki is not a credible source and anyone who thinks it is, is a complete MUPPET.

You mention academia, there is a reason Wikipedia is not accepted as a source for references, it is because Wikipedia does not hold the credible information, but only links to it, and it is these sources that should (and would) be used. Even heavily moderated pages with correct information are not accepted for this reason. Have fun passing anything but high school with your logic.

So back at you, where is your source in your Wikipedia page that proves you right. Not got one? Nope? Bye then.

KelDG:

SNIP-A-LOT

So back at you, where is your source in your Wikipedia page that proves you right. Not got one? Nope? Bye then.

I don't have a link to Video Game Console Generations Definition. But here is the Definition of a Generation, Courtasy of Dictionary.com:

gen·er·a·tion

noun
the entire body of individuals born and living at about the same time: the postwar generation.
the term of years, roughly 30 among human beings, accepted as the average period between the birth of parents and the birth of their offspring.
a group of individuals, most of whom are the same approximate age, having similar ideas, problems, attitudes, etc. Compare Beat Generation, Lost Generation.
a group of individuals belonging to a specific category at the same time: Chaplin belonged to the generation of silent-screen stars.
a single step in natural descent, as of human beings, animals, or plants.

Based off of the standard word, Generation, we can assume that a Video Game Console Generation would fallow the same trend: a group of video game consoles, with the same approximate age, same time frame, and as a single step within their natural descent.

However, I understand that this might not be considered what a "Video Game Generation" might be to some, so I propose the fallowing: We split Video Game Generation into two separate categories. Instead of "Video Game Generation", we have "Video Game Genealogy" and "Video Game Technological prowess". Video Game Genealogy will be the time frame Generation, and Video Game Technological Prowess will be the Technological Generation. That way, both sides can stop arguing about the stupid definition of a Generation.

Mr.Mattress:

KelDG:

SNIP-A-LOT

I don't have a link to Video Game Console Generations Definition. But here is the Definition of a Generation, Courtasy of Dictionary.com:

Wrong reply mate, I really don't care about the definition of generation, I even said so in the snipped bit of my quote. I would go grab the Oxford English dictionary if I cared, as should anyone else who gives a damn. The only thing I was saying was Wikipedia is not a credible source for information. The best that Wikipedia is, is a guide with links to proper citation. Don't get me wrong, I love Wikipedia and use it to guide me to relevant information all the time, but it is not a referenceable source of information.

Recap, the generation argument is for muppets.

fix-the-spade:
Did Sony put them up to this? Hey not-quite first party studio, spread some FUD about a competitor for us please.

Nope. A question in a Q&A from a fan apparently did.

CriticKitten:

But the Dreamcast was released closer to the release date of the PS2, Gamecube and Xbox, yet people often associate with DC with the generation of the PS1, N64 and Saturn, right? Can you explain what I'm missing here (I'm asking this as a serious question, not to be a smart alec, as I've always run by your logic also, but people have always decried me as wrong)?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here