ISS Commander Bids Farewell With "Space Oddity"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

ISS Commander Bids Farewell With "Space Oddity"

Don't be surprised if you get something in your eye while you watch Commander Chris Hadfield's surprisingly good cover of the David Bowie classic.

The days of those fun and educational "What happens when you puke in space?" spots are behind us now, but astronaut Chris Hadfield, former commander of the International Space Station, cooked up one final video before bidding farewell, and it's a doozy: a cover of the David Bowie classic "Space Oddity."

It's an obvious choice but a good one nonetheless, and Hadfield changes up the lyrics just enough to suit his situation on the ISS. But what makes it really impressive is how good it is; nobody's going to confuse Hadfield with Michael Bublé, but the man can carry a tune. The video, produced by Hadfield's son Evan, is awfully good too, with some stunning views of Earth alongside shots of the astronaut floating around the cramped confines of the space station.

It's especially poignant because this will almost certainly be Hadfield's last journey into space. According to the Ottawa Citizen, the Canadian Space Agency is being hit with budget cuts and may be asked to refocus its priorities and plans; there are also currently no Canadian astronauts scheduled to take part in future missions and if any are added, there are two others slated to take spots ahead of him.

Directed by J.J. Abrams. Look at those glorious lens flares.

It really makes you think though, seeing that huge space station with people on it. Some people spend their lives pushing the boundaries of what humanity can achieve. They go freakin' space. And some men blow each other up in car bombs over an old book of fairy tales. For fuck sake.

It was so good to watch this first thing after I woke up, brightens up a day.

This man is amazing.

People like this are the role models our children should be looking up to.

Not Kim-fuckin'-Kardashian.

This is his life under pressure

Adam Jensen:

It really makes you think though, seeing that huge space station with people on it. Some people spend their lives pushing the boundaries of what humanity can achieve. They go freakin' space. And some men blow each other up in car bombs over an old book of fairy tales. For fuck sake.

Daystar Clarion:
This man is amazing.

Well until he gets back to earth, technically we will all be "looking up" to him.

Daystar Clarion:

Indeed. This guy, that knows how to fly 70 different aircrafts, that works in freaking outer space in one of the crowning achievements not only of human technology, but of triumph of cooperation of the whole world, but there's like 5 reality shows where K-clan disproves of whether Kim had butt implants...

Great editing and very well rendition of the song.

Gonna miss them educational youtube vids from space! GJ and GS Cmdr. Hadfield

DVS BSTrD:
"looking up" to him.

You're bad and you should feel bad.

Sit in the corner and think about what you've done.

Daystar Clarion:
This man is amazing.

and what about if we send kim kardashian into space? space, not the sun. and also safely get her back on earth,

why do i always assume that anyone wants her dead?.

rhizhim:

Daystar Clarion:
This man is amazing.

and what about if we send kim kardashian into space? space, not the sun. and also safely get her back on earth,

I don't think they can send that much plastic into space without issues with pressure.

Amazing! The fact that he's actually an astronaut adds so much to his performance.

This rendition is...

wait for it.

OUT OF THIS WORLD.

....YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAH!

He may not have Michael Buble's voice, but he put more emotion into that one song than Buble's entire discography.

I hope this sparks a trend and when we go to mars we get a bitching ass cover of "life on mars".

Amazing effort much love to the pure joy this brings me :)

Very poignant rendition of Space Oddity. However it is overshadowed some what by that glorious moustache.

Daystar Clarion:

DVS BSTrD:
"looking up" to him.

You're bad and you should feel bad.

Sit in the corner and think about what you've done.

But we're already Soyuz'd to his puns!

anian:
It was so good to watch this first thing after I woke up, brightens up a day.

i actually got a sense of melancholy from it...
but then again it's that kind of song.

don't think he wants to stop being an astronaut. who would ?

we should carve these peoples names on a mountain.

Wow. That was so sad. Good, so very good, but very sad.

It really depresses me that space programs are losing their funding world wide. Yes, I know it's easier to send robots into space to do things, but really... it's just sad.

I salute you, Commander Chris Hadfield. Here's hoping you get a chance to return to space against the current odds.

I am proud of my fellow Canadian.

A shame though that as far as I hear, NASA is getting slapped on the wrist with another budget cut and might not send anyone else up there for a while....

Adam Jensen:

Calling the bible/koran/whatever "an old book of fairy tales" wont foster any solidarity or understanding.

Sleekit:

Well yes it's melancholic, but it's also a great song with beautiful images.

This was absolutely awesome.

I really have nothing else to say except that I'm happy that people such as Chris Hadfield exist in general, and even more in our lifetime.

Captcha: marry me

Well, he IS that awesome.

Amazing.
That man has lived my dream. Sad he has to go down.

Daystar Clarion:
This man is amazing.

This. This ten times over.

I took a peek at his youtube channel and it was really insightful and interesting.

Adam Jensen:

It really makes you think though, seeing that huge space station with people on it. Some people spend their lives pushing the boundaries of what humanity can achieve. They go to freakin' space. And some men blow each other up in car bombs over an old book of fairy tales. For fuck's sake.

I couldn't agree more. We've got the potential to do beautiful things like this, and some people would rather end lives over something as arbitrary as religion or politics. We can do awesome things with the planet's properties and our tech, and some idiots are still busy turning their noses at anyone who dares to suggest that global warming might actually be a serious problem.

It's human nature, and it sucks. Some folks just won't wake up until they've reduced everything to ashes. You don't know how good your life was until you deliberately and callously fuck it up - and for cash, of all things.

I.. have no words to accurately describe my reaction. I really don't. I'm amazed, and I salute this guy for getting the opportunity to go into space.

I dunno what to say now, that really affected me...

Best thing I've seen in months.
Many thanks Major Tom.

Daystar Clarion:
This man is amazing.

What about Nicki Minaj? She's at least educational in her videos, kids are learning about sex all the time thanks to her.

Obviously fake. Terrible CGI.

anian:

Sleekit:

Well yes it's melancholic, but it's also a great song with beautiful images.

i didn't mean to disparage it.

it was just quite...affecting...as someone else said.

that guy sure knows how to throw a guitar straight enough to take a picturesque shot of it swirling in in the air

Adam Jensen:

Man, Abrams is directing the ISS? Is there any space franchise he's not involved in?

>.>

rhizhim:

"I'm a celebrity, get me Tang!"

...I'd probably respect someone like Kardashian if she could hang in space.

Wow. Just wow. That got me in the feels. I liked how and where he changed some of the words to fit his experience and how Command let him bring a guitar for this one last trip! More singing astronauts!

That was beautiful.

That made my night, easily.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook