GeoGuessr Asks, "Where Are You Now?"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

GeoGuessr Asks, "Where Are You Now?"

GeoGuessr - Texas

GeoGuessr offers the convenience of a PC game alongside the horror of being hopelessly stranded in a corn field in rural Iowa.

As oversaturated as the gaming industry currently is, it takes a lot for a new game to stand out. The simplest and most common method of achieving this involves tens of millions of development dollars and a team of dozens working for years to churn out a glossy, triple-A product. The more impressive method however, merely requires a brilliant premise.

GeoGuessr, a gramatically appalling title created by Anton Wallén, falls into the latter camp. The game (which is free to play - another point in its favor) sources maps from Google Earth, then drops players into a random location somewhere in the known world via Google's street view. From there you're given the freedom to explore a small area around you before being asked to guess at your current whereabouts.

Once you've either sussed out your location or failed horribly in your attempts to figure out where the 'eff you are, GeoGuessr awards you a score based on how well you performed. Guess right, get more points. Guess wrong, spend eternity in the hell that is South Dakota.

Obviously the best bit of this game is that it's utterly gratis and you all can enjoy it right this very moment by paying a visit to the official GeoGuessr site. However, Wallén is reportedly working on an update for GeoGuessr that will allow for competitive play between at least two (and possibly more) players. There's no release date for this update, nor any specific word on what it might include.

That's probably for the best though. I'm apparently unable to locate anything outside of the greater Portland area, so I'd really rather not humiliate myself in the event that pigeons learn to use the 'net.

Almost forgot: We've got a comments section below and hate the idea of any of you being productive, so feel free to share your high scores. Mine's currently at 10,531.

Source: GeoGuessr

So, a 4chan game turned into a real one? Interesting.
I remember playing that some time last year as a sort of Google Maps survival, find the nearest airport. First try sent me into the middle of Siberia, I didn't even know they sent cars out there!

On a more related note, I seem to be terrible at this game. First I always land in the middle of fucking nowhere and when I find a blurred sign it's always misleading. Burma Park in Canada?

Tried this earlier and managed to get one right in the same exact street (and not by luck, there was a sign with the name of the city and then directions to certain avenues).
The other 3 rounds were all in the same country and the last one I thought it was somewhere in Ireland or something, it was in the United States...

11667 on my first go!
link

I got pretty close on one just because a sign outside a restaurant said 'Prime NZ lamb' and decided to guess New Zealand. One was in the middle of nowhere in central Australia and had a whole lot of nothing to go by, so it was a lucky guess that landed me within a few hundred miles. Pretty cool game.

Had to google info on a few signs but over all I wasnt all that bad. the worst was I thought i was in mexico but it was somehwere in spain. The third one thought was pretty tough, but i managed a guess from an NY license plate (which probably wasnt the smartest or safest bet to base it on).

and for the record, I've got a higher score already (11154 pts.)

not that its a competition or anything XD

8049. Turns out my home state looks suspiciously like South Africa. Cost me some points.

So according to this I think everywhere looks like Mediterranean Europe or South America, my geography is definitely rusty.

Also damn it the one time I decide to guest that the hot country with Spanish traffic signs is not Spain and it turns out to be Spain -_-

EDIT

Best score I managed was 8786. Managed to get a few guesses quite close.

emeraldrafael:
Had to google info on a few signs but over all I wasnt all that bad. the worst was I thought i was in mexico but it was somehwere in spain. The third one thought was pretty tough, but i managed a guess from an NY license plate (which probably wasnt the smartest or safest bet to base it on).

Pfft, it doesn't count if you had to use google! And doesn't it blur out license plates? I tried to see if they had any clues but every one was censored. Unless New Zealand license plates are smell based or something.

I didn't know they had pine trees in New Zealand. I should probably rewatch the Lord of the Rings.

i got one place that not only had the words australia in it but a map of the place saying where it was and a slogan about its location in the wider island. can be a pain though as in you find a brazilian flag but its a big place and you can be out by 1000 km or more. same with canada find a place that looks like american but with maple leefs around but you still miss by a long way.

still fun to play though i always seem to get a lot in the americas north and south and not as many in the rest of the world.

CriticalMiss:

emeraldrafael:

Pfft, it doesn't count if you had to use google! And doesn't it blur out license plates? I tried to see if they had any clues but every one was censored. Unless New Zealand license plates are smell based or something.

not very well, I can still make out the general design of the plate (colours and patterns).

Huh, this was actually pretty fun. My highest score was just a touch over 12k. I usually manage around 10k score, the reason I got to 12k is that I managed to guess a location to within 12km by accident and got over 5k points for it. I looked at the picture, saw all the boats and went "Hey, that kind of looks like the Miami exterior shots from Dexter!" and clicked in Miami.

My worst guess was just a picture of an althetics stadium. The only word was "epoca" and I couldn't see anything but the stadium and sky so I guessed somewhere in the Baltic region. Turns out it was a stadium in Korea.

Heh, this is pretty fun. However it does have a tendency to put you on a road in the middle of nowhere in North America with no landmarks or houses or anything which really makes it hard to make an accurate guess. Also I'm terrible at telling the difference between Spain and South America :<

woo, 19443

Even got fairly close on one where it dumped me in the middle of a mountain in New Zealand. I did use a little google though to save having to scan the country for a specific city.

Alright, this was actually pretty fun. Honestly the best time waster I've played in a while, and rather fun to try and drive around praying for a road sign. Got to the point I was using the sun to try and figure the cardinal directions for assistance.

And since you asked, here you go, 17027.

-EDIT-

Holy crap I just got 28047.

The Artificially Prolonged:
So according to this I think everywhere looks like Mediterranean Europe or South America, my geography is definitely rusty.

Also damn it the one time I decide to guest that the hot country with Spanish traffic signs is not Spain and it turns out to be Spain -_-

EDIT

Best score I managed was 8786. Managed to get a few guesses quite close.

It also gets painful when you correctly recognise the portuguese signs, only to be told that you should've been thinking about Brazil, not Portugal.

On the whole I was quite consistently about 1000km off, which considering I generally plunked a marker in things like "north-western US", or "Japan" I am not unhappy with.

Just shy of 21,000 (http://goo.gl/2HfU5)... I confused the Yukon with Scotland, oh well.
That was fun, thanks for sharing!

28930 now.

Missed one by 7 meters.

This is more fun than it should be. :D

Edit: 32184 now. Google to the rescue!

15K! If only I didn't mix up Florida with California. I saw palm trees and just guessed it

http://tinyurl.com/dxoz3hk

Just blew the last one, confused Spain with Brazil... :-( 13964 Points.

This is my first game:
http://tinyurl.com/ckrbaey

And I never took more than 5 steps from the start location.

26,893. Not too bad on my first play. Though I did keep looking for any signs or landmarks to narrow down where I was. Sadly I totally messed up on Ohio.

http://tinyurl.com/crkagtd

Seem to average about 11-14,000. Although one game I got 3 roads in the middle of nowhere, no landmarks, nothing and my guesses were just awful.

16,410, but I used Google to reference road signs and flags, so I may have kind of cheated.

It dropped me in a town my mother used to live in. Score!

Total score was 13436. Somehow, I mistook South Africa for Vancouver. Make sure you find and read signs!

Missed by only 749 kilometers on my first try. I guessed Wyoming, but unfortunately it was one state over somewhere in Montana. Though I have to admit the US flag helped a lot. ^^

This was a lot of fun. In my first game I got a motor racing track in the middle of Japan and managed to actually hit it dead on. I didn't even know that google went onto racetracks...

9541. I'm guessing it would've been better had I not guessed South Africa when it was actually Russia. Otherwise I knew one was British Columbia and I knew one was Brazil. One I thought was Greece turned out to be Romania and one I thought was Indonesia or Malaysia turned out to be Thailand.

Just from what I could see as well, I recognised the signs and landscape and road layout from BC from my holiday there and I could tell that it was Brazil from the language on the signs and the traffic lights not looking like they do in Europe so I knew it was south america and guessed it was brazil because I didn't think it was actually spanish.

The Thailand one was close because I could tell from the style of advertising and the look of the letters it was in that area and the Romanian one reminded me of Easterny Europe from the one type of car I saw but it seemed a bit sunny and olive grovey to be anywhere but Greece.

WAY off on Russia, though there were literally no distinguishing features and it looked relatively sunny. So went for South Africa.

15673 in my first go.

I misplaced a stretch of nondescript Corsican brush for the Spanish Pyrenees and I misplaced the Baltic coast of Estonia at the Baltic coast of Germany because the blurry license plates looked German in their form and with the blue EU part.

Other than that I was pretty good. I hit a bulls eye on the first (500 meters away) because I googled the Lamorada Fishing Club. :D

12,840 on my first try

Would have scored higher but I was zoomed in a bit too far and mistakenly identified a random peninsula for south korea. Also Norwegian woods look remarkably like Northern Michigan woods.

I decided to go all detective and do my best to flush out exact locations using signs & Google to help a bit. I ended up getting 32374 for my troubles.
The ones in West Virginia & Botswana ones were super easy, the ones in Portugal & Mexico took a bit of detective work (I used a sign for the Rio Torto and a "Loreto Bay" sign to flush them out, respectively), and the one in Estonia... OH GOD THE ONE IN ESTONIA. I was running around the dirt roads for an hour just to find a paved road with a sign. Then it took another half-hour to deduce where I started. Luckily there was a creek with a weird building next to it that I found right when I first set out so I was able to eventually get it, but dang, that took forever. >_>

Might take another go at it tomorrow and see how I do again. :3

28504 on a real try.
http://tinyurl.com/cc23skz

I managed 32372 with some serious Google-fu. It seems like they get progressively harder too. It was tricky but doable to orient myself in Port Fairy, AUS as there was a flag and signs to go by. Same with being plunked on a highway in Brazil right between a brige and a giant highway sign with 5 references. Being dropped into Wicken Fen near Cambridge, UK was a bit harder, but the second last one had me resorting to finding the road that crossed a Brazilian interstate border in the right direction with only a police shack for orientation, and the last one was actually a single panorama taken by a German fellow named Samuel Rothenbühler, whom I had to add to my Google+ in order to pull the coordinates from the picture. Turns out it was taken in a small forest on fucking Jeju Island off the coast of South Korea.

If Googling is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Edit: http://tinyurl.com/d7mf27t just in case anyone actually cares lol.

my first round dropped me 3 streets away from my home i was out by 500 meters
second round dropped me in the Mojave desert in the USA i only know because ive driven that road before
the next round dumped me in somewhere i had no idea so i took a punt and ended up about 150 km north of where i guessed which from thinking could be any one of 3 continents was pretty close
then i got dropped on a Caribbean island and i picked the wrong one
finally off to south Africa where i got plopped in front of a road sign with 12 towns on it managed to get withinn 100 km

11989 on my 2nd go.

Missed one by only 6 metres...however I missed 2 others in the same game by a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way! Which brought my score down a bit. Got over 6k points for the one I missed by 6 metres though!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here