Rumor: Mysterious PS4 Reveal Video Emerges [UPDATE]

Rumor: Mysterious PS4 Reveal Video Emerges [UPDATE]

Remember when Sony revealed the PlayStation 4 a few weeks back alongside a number of videos? Well, there may be another clip that you haven't yet seen.

Embedded at right you'll find a vignette that is ostensibly a Sony-produced promotional teaser for the upcoming PlayStation 4. We say "ostensibly," because Sony won't confirm its authenticity, yet by all rights it appears to be a legitimate addition to the various clips the firm has served up as part of its recent PS4 reveal. Now you understand the "rumor" preface above.

As for the clip's content, it's simultaneously intriguing and disappointing. The "let's edit PlayStation-branded shapes into people's eyes" thing is a cute trick, but the video spends so much time gazing at X's and triangles trapped in various ocular organs that it fails to offer a solid look at any game or games. There are a few brief flashes of gameplay (or, equally likely, in-game cinematics), and a glimpse at what appears to be the console itself, but overall it's nothing to get too excited over.

"If none of this is all that exciting, why are typing all of these words?" I somehow hear a few of you wondering. Quite simply, rumor or not, this clip is going to go down as part of the PlayStation 4 reveal. With all the excitement surrounding the next generation of gaming consoles, we couldn't not share this clip with you. If it turns out to be a particularly well-crafted fan production, we reserve the right to rescind all of this, but for now file this under "possible reasons to be psyched for Sony's next gaming machine."

Or not. I'm not your mom. Do whatever.

Source: YouTube

Update: According to Kotaku, Sony denies the legitimacy of this clip. With that in mind, propers to whoever crafted this thing. It's as good, if not better than anything Sony officially released, though I suppose this does explain the lack of actual gameplay footage.

If that is what the system looks like then I am pleased. It looks sleek, sexy and above all shiny.
I'd get it just to put it on display somewhere to sexy up the room.

Now to wait for game announcements.

And yet I don't remember a news report on the Microsoft internal memo that apparently denied it's always-online functionality.

If you're going to report on rumours then at least make it fair.

EDIT: And according to Kotaku, as of an hour ago this clip has been denied of being affiliated with Sony.

Seems legit. The production quality of this video seems to high to be a fake.

That advertising is just as bad as the WiiU's advertising! I'm not impressed. Still, if that's how the PS4 is gonna look, then it'll look better then the PS3 at least.

PS4, gives you more than square eyes...

I saw this on IGN and it has been confirmed to be fake.

I was hopeful that this was in some way legit, but after pausing the vid a few time you can see that the USB ports on the "console" are actually WAY too small compared to the rest of the machine to be real, unless the box is even bigger than the original PS3 (and that thing was a beast)

Surprised it didn't feature Ian McKellen, cuz those are some Apt Pupils.

Unlikely, probably already disproved, etc.

I hope the thing isn't bloody shiny like the PS3 was. Damned fingerprint magnet _

Sony either confirmed it to be fake or want everyone to believe it's one since they didn't want to reveal the PS4 yet.
That being said, if it's fake:
Well done to whoever did this. High-quality and a good design.

Earnest Cavalli:
With all the excitement surrounding the next generation of gaming consoles...

Sorry, I must have missed something. I don't recall being excited about this.

OT: Hey I was just about ready to suck this up as the real deal, it's certainly flashy and pretentious enough (read: style over substance) for a console reveal.

SkarKrow:

I hope the thing isn't bloody shiny like the PS3 was. Damned fingerprint magnet _

But you could write your name on it with skin oils! So cool!

I don't think that's the PS4.

I do, however, expect (and believe) that the PS4 is gonna be pretty. I usually like Sony's designs very much (Vita is just beautiful, and makes 3DS look like it came from the 80s by comparison).
That said, the PS3 super-slim is uglier than my mother-in-law. And, believe me, THAT'S UGLY!

Able Seacat:
PS4, gives you more than square eyes...

I saw this on IGN and it has been confirmed to be fake.

Then again, I have been known to be wrong.

Also the fact that they only seem to show clips of The new "Infamous: Sons [something or other]" The last two console launches had a shared montage from a variety of exclusives not just from one.

Even if it wasn't fake there is a significant lack of showing the console, but I guess that is becoming the norm in most advertising these days so they nailed it. Unless, of course, they were teasing that their PS4 is people's eyes! :O Such technology! If you get conjunctivitis it's like the RROD but less expensive.

My guess is that A: Sony is lying, and B: They pulled this one from the lineup because they decided to change the appearance of the console after they made it.

It fits with the lack of appearance from the console at the reveal event.

Anyone else really wants to have eyes like that now?

If it really is fake, I wouldn't be surprised.

That looks more like an external hard drive, or a wireless router than a game console.

JokerboyJordan:
And yet I don't remember a news report on the Microsoft internal memo that apparently denied it's always-online functionality.

EDIT: And according to Kotaku, as of an hour ago this clip has been denied of being affiliated with Sony.

You having a lack of memory is no reason to not bother to check on something before you go making accusations.

I like it, just because it's Tron as fuck, which is awesome. Reminds me of the Tron stuff that Razer released back when Legacy came out.

Kwil:

JokerboyJordan:

You having a lack of memory is no reason to not bother to check on something before you go making accusations.

You having a lack of understanding of what I'm talking about is no reason to go making accusations.

rasputin0009:

SkarKrow:

But you could write your name on it with skin oils! So cool!

But then your name on it would be ruined by how much the dust on the system would show up!

What I would suggest in place is a matte plastic modelled to imitate brushed aluminium....
That way it looks sleek and metallica without the extra maintenance required from the glossy surface.

If it's fake: good job to whoever did it

If it's real: why the need to lie?

Of course this was fake. There's not anywhere near enough dead-eyed baby dolls for this to be a legit Sony ad. ;)

Cool, some brief glimpses of what the ps4 looks like.
*browses comments

Or not.

SkarKrow:

I agree. Mine's one of the original fat ones. And the finish on mine got fucked when I tried to clean it with Windex. At least its not like I put the thing on a pedestal or something

PoolCleaningRobot:
Cool, some brief glimpses of what the ps4 looks like.
*browses comments

Or not.

SkarKrow:

I agree. Mine's one of the original fat ones. And the finish on mine got fucked when I tried to clean it with Windex. At least its not like I put the thing on a pedestal or something

Man mine was spotless for like 3 days and now it's all smudged and hideous, granted it hides under my TV but it's just ugly. The Wii U is a weird not-fingerprinty plastic that isn't as bad thankfully...

BUt really... matte, I need matte devices, I specifically chose my new PC case because it would be sleek and elegant without fringprinty dusty horridness plaguing it!

JokerboyJordan:

Microsoft policies are to not comment on any product that is not release to the public for information, whether the information is true or not true. Technically speaking the next-generation console does not exist.

SkarKrow:

I honestly don't know how that's supposed to be an issue. The only time I come near the opportunity to make finger prints is when I want to move it.

Or do you fondle your consoles lovingly before you go to bed?

MorphingDragon:

SkarKrow:

I honestly don't know how that's supposed to be an issue. The only time I come near the opportunity to make finger prints is when I want to move it.

Or do you fondle your consoles lovingly before you go to bed?

The input panel is also a fingerprint magnet. Holding it in place when I switch it off at the back. Moving it around as you said. Setting it up the first time. That was enough to make it an oily disgusting mess.

So what I'm getting from this add is that the PS4 will try to sythesize with me. Am I interpreting that correct?

But on a serious note why do you crazy people care what the damn thing looks like? I mean how much time do you spend staring at your consoles when you play them? It's not a handheld.

Chatboy 91:
I like it, just because it's Tron as fuck, which is awesome. Reminds me of the Tron stuff that Razer released back when Legacy came out.

THANK YOU. I was wondering why no one was pointing out the Tron as fuck aspect. The look and music both.

The offline capable and used-game friendly sold me. If this clip is real, the look is just icing on the cake.

Assuming rumors of the next Xbox are true, I can't wait to abandon Microsoft next year.

If that's what the PS4 is going to look like, I'm down with that. I don't think one can reasonably expect actual information in every trailer.

Fake or not, though the update leans towards fake, it doesn't get me excited or interested in the console. So whomever the hype fan that made this is, he should know that it makes me not want to get the new PS4.

But of course, I'm not pulled in by flashy commercials that show me pretty much nothing. Everything goes by so fast(though that's probably because it is fake) that I can't focus on anything, other than the stupid eye gimmick, which in the end makes the video/commercial annoying and makes me turn away.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here