Precursor's Shadow of the Eternals Opens Up Kickstarter

Precursor's Shadow of the Eternals Opens Up Kickstarter

Shadow of the Eternals

"Overwhelming popular demand" pushed Precursor to start crowdfunding via Kickstarter as well as its own campaign.

It seems like only yesterday we were talking about Shadow of the Eternals, Precursor Games' new horror title, kicking off its crowdfunding campaign. By running its own fundraiser Precursor, Denis Dyack's new home, figured it could avoid paying those pesky Kickstarter fees, as well as collect the backers' money up front without having to worry so much about whether the campaign would meet its $1.5 million target. Things have changed since those far-off days of yore, and now Shadow of the Eternals has a Kickstarter campaign of its very own.

"Due to overwhelming popular demand," Precursor claims, this step was taken, allowing pledgers "even more options to contribute to the game." This doesn't mean Precursor's campaign will stop, though at the moment it's only raised a few bucks shy of $157,000 towards its target, with 23 days left on the clock. Instead, the two campaigns will run in parallel, with Kickstarter seeking a slightly more modest $1.35 million. Already 532 brave Kickstarter backers have donated close to $33,000, with 35 days to go. Pledgers should remember that Kickstarter, unlike Precursor's pledge drive, won't take cash from anyone unless the campaign reaches its target. As before, this Kickstarter target only covers the pilot. Other episodes presumably will have their own funding drives.

This latest development does allow Precursor two shots at making this work, which might make life easier for the developer, particularly given its inauspicious past. That said, you have to wonder how likely it is that the $1.35 million Kickstarter target will be met. Precursor's own crowdfunding effort is off to a sluggish start, and without some kind of cash to pay licensing and development costs, Shadow may remain just a shadow after all.

Source: Kickstarter

I'm going to reiterate my comments in the other thread that so long as Dyack is involved, they will never be getting any money from me.

Vivi22:
I'm going to reiterate my comments in the other thread that so long as Dyack is involved, they will never be getting any money from me.

I'm thinking that the overwhelming number of people who actually want this game are saying just that. Molyneux was successful, but hell we were assured that he'd deliver the game period. Too many variables with Dyack, even people who can make a profit backing this game said "to hell with it".

Going to their site their own program is gone, and the Kickstarter takes into account the portion already raised.

Are you really able to still give to the original one? If so, it seems pretty hidden now, and looks like they're focusing on Kickstarter instead.

Jumwa:
Going to their site their own program is gone, and the Kickstarter takes into account the portion already raised.

Are you really able to still give to the original one? If so, it seems pretty hidden now, and looks like they're focusing on Kickstarter instead.

I just checked the original funding site; it's still there, and there's a big Support Now button right under the funding goal, which links directly to a pledge page. Precursor confirmed in its Kickstarter announcement that it would be running the two campaigns in parallel, though I agree that the Kickstarter $1.35 target seems to be taking the money already raised into consideration.

Vivi22:

Seems like this game is suffering from being in the Shadow of the Infernal
BWA HAHAHAHAHA

I've been asking for an Eternal Darkness sequel for years now, so while I doubt that the Kickstarter will succeed (judging from what little progress it has made so far), I went ahead and made my pledge:

And as I did in the last news post about this crowdfunding effort, I ask that anyone considering donating read this surprisingly good article about the demise of Silicon Knights before they part with their money.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here