RIFT Goes Free To Play In June

RIFT Goes Free To Play In June

RIFT Storm Legion

RIFT is the next MMO to join the free-to-play ranks, though its new terms seem a bit more generous than most other titles.

I feel like an old man describing the modern MMO landscape. When I was a kid we paid $15 a month to play Ultima Online over a 56k modem. Sometimes we'd have to walk miles in the snow for absolutely no reason. Also, there were wolves and many of us died of dysentery.

Point being: You kids have it easy, what with your Furbys and arguably new Guns N' Roses albums. These days almost any MMO you'd want to play - with a notable World of Warcraft-shaped exception - can be enjoyed free of charge thanks to the industry's shift toward the surprisingly lucrative free-to-play business model.

Speaking of, the latest title to ditch a proper subscription model is Trion Worlds' RIFT. According to a newly-launched section of the game's official site, the title will go free-to-play on June 12. That's not the interesting bit though: The best part are the terms of the new business model, which seem aimed more at attracting players than maximizing profit.

I feel like I should be yelling at teenagers to get off of my non-existent lawn.

What's so special about RIFT's free to play model? Simply put, it doesn't restrict content from players who'd rather not drop money into Trion Worlds' coffers. To wit, the following, reassuring words from the development team:

After June 12, all players will have total access to the entire world: every dungeon, every raid, every Warfront, and every level. We won't be locking our content or advancement behind walls - our goal is to break down every barrier. We want more people playing together and more people having fun together. A new free player has restrictions on their starting inventory, character slots, and you won't have access to the Storm Legion souls, but you really are getting the whole game for free.

Neat, right? Of course, if you desperately want to give Trion Worlds your money the firm won't refuse, and will actually give you a few in-game benefits (though it's crucial to note that none of them appear to be of the "pay to win" variety). Again, to wit:

As a subscriber (now officially a "Patron") you'll also get bounties of treasure and awesome bonuses to give you the extra edge and convenience you need for all your adventures in Telara!

Patrons receive access to a suite of abilities usable once per day that grant buffs to experience, currency, notoriety, and a number of additional convenience benefits. We are not jacking up the experience curve to make these benefits required - all of these bonuses are completely optional and playing without them you will experience RIFT exactly as it is today. We want to make sure that becoming a Patron is a great value, but it's not required. If you're a free player and want the same benefits for a specific duration, you can purchase Patron Passes of varying lengths from the in-game RIFT Store.

A full explanation of all of the changes headed to RIFT can be found on the game's official free-to-play page.

Source: RIFT

Another one bites the dust it seems.

Aeshi:
Another one bites the dust it seems.

Yep, another one that was caught in that moment of MMO limbo between WoW and GW2, where nobody had an idea of why recent MMOs were failing as they couldn't maintain the first letter of their genre.

Of course, it should be so clear why so many of these games are failing nowadays...

captcha: chuck norris

Yep, he can definitely give the slap to the face this genre needs, but it'll be his foot...

Well it had at least a good 2 year run before it had to hit the free to play market. Some MMOs don't even last 6 months before they convert.

Colour me surprised. RIFT held out as a sub-based game for over two years - quite an accomplishment these days for any MMO that isn't WoW or EVE.

That said, I could never quite understand how it managed that. It's polished, and the gameplay is solid if unoriginal, but the story and setting were so generic fantasy I'd entirely forgotten them almost before I finished uninstalling it.

On the other hand, this might just as easily be the kickstart that sees it continue for another 2+ years. It worked for DDO and LotRO, after all, why not Rifts.

At least these devs seem to have their feet firmly grounded in reality and implement an F2P model that's likely to encourage growth, rather than the retarded monstrosity that is SW:TOR F2P which actively penalises F2Pers and subscribers both.

Well Rift, you held on as long as you could, props for that. Also, props for what appears to be the best free-to-play model I've yet seen in an MMO. Waiting to hear what the catch is now...

I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did with the subscription model. Maybe I'll try it out again, a surge of new players could result in some pretty fun invasion events.

I wonder how long Elder Scrolls and FFXIV will hold out? If WoW ever goes F2P, it would collaspse the economy since everyone would call in for maternity leave.

Neat, well I'll give it a shot I suppose.

Worgen:

Your avatar GIF! I love it! I MUST CLAIM IT FOR THE BORG!

OT: ...I really actually don't have that much to say. Everything I've seen about rift made it seem pretty much like every other hotbar based MMORPG I've tried. I'm really wishing we could just get away from that, or try to at least make play differently, like in Forge (on the note of Forge: bite me J.C., I actually managed to get plenty of kills in less time than apparently you spent playing the game to review it).

I do love free shit.

But on a, relative, side note;

Has anyone here actually played it yet? Looks nice from the pictures but pictures tend to do that. So anyone willing to share actual experience?

I feel like Rift is one of those games that everybody has seen and heard about but but nobody even has an acquaintance who plays it. I call it the Conan Effect

http://images.torrentfrancais.com/y/yks4yafadolx7ul9imtva2zvqpgrqv.jpg

I swear, every store

Parakeettheprawn:

Worgen:

OT: ...I really actually don't have that much to say. Everything I've seen about rift made it seem pretty much like every other hotbar based MMORPG I've tried. I'm really wishing we could just get away from that, or try to at least make play differently, like in Forge (on the note of Forge: bite me J.C., I actually managed to get plenty of kills in less time than apparently you spent playing the game to review it).

Sometimes I wish it wasn't so good so I could change it but when you find something perfect, your kinda stuck with it.

Worgen:

Parakeettheprawn:

Worgen:

Sometimes I wish it wasn't so good so I could change it but when you find something perfect, your kinda stuck with it.

I know what you mean. I used to constantly change my Hero Image on Game Informer, but when I made a Batman-Daria hybrid that came out surprisingly well, I've yet to see reason to change it. Here's a link if you're curious: www.gameinformer.com/members/paradigmthefallen/default.aspx

So if subscription fees are passe and free2play is the kiss of obscurity, just what type of payment method should MMOs use?

Longstreet:
I do love free shit.

Has anyone here actually played it yet? Looks nice from the pictures but pictures tend to do that. So anyone willing to share actual experience?

At least in my gaming circles, everyone that I played WoW with migrated over to Rift, even if they didn't all stick with it (some played a little, some played a lot, some are still avid players). I played it for a few months at launch, then dabbled off and on, then again when the expansion launched, if mostly because my friends were all playing.

It was never a bad game, but it was never a great game. Solid mechanics but a setting that never really grabbed me and an art style that just sort of made me sleepy. It improved a bit with Storm Legion, but it still didn't get me going the way other MMOs did.

Glad to see they're taking Rift in this direction, as it's worth checking out if you want a solid if very workmanlike Western MMO experience.

Worgen:

Parakeettheprawn:

Worgen:

I just wish the second season of the legend of Kora would get here so I could put-up my Bolin avatar again.
That one got me SO much e-cat ;)

Parakeettheprawn:

Worgen:

Parakeettheprawn:

I know what you mean. I used to constantly change my Hero Image on Game Informer, but when I made a Batman-Daria hybrid that came out surprisingly well, I've yet to see reason to change it. Here's a link if you're curious: www.gameinformer.com/members/paradigmthefallen/default.aspx

HA, that is a pretty awesome one, I'm surprised your not using it on here.

Worgen:

Parakeettheprawn:

Worgen:

HA, that is a pretty awesome one, I'm surprised your not using it on here.

Ehh... it's really odd to say this, but I basically am the Batman on GIO (along with apparently being Green Arrow and Joker... hmm, I should do Daria versions of them too). I know that sounds odd and potentially arrogant, but it was actually completely by accident. So far I've already found Green Lantern, The Flash, Super-Man, Razer (green lantern character), Red Hood (Jason Todd), Nightwing, Metamorpho, and possibly Wonder Woman. They all fit our own personalities so well that it's scary. Whereas on The Escapist... I'm really not Batman. In fact if recent discussions are any indication, I've taken a more C.S. Lewis approach to things here.

Edit: Okay, somewhere in the valley between C.S. Lewis and a blunt hammer.

DVS BSTrD:
So if subscription fees are passe and free2play is the kiss of obscurity, just what type of payment method should MMOs use?

Buy to play like Guild Wars 2.

Korten12:

DVS BSTrD:

Buy to play like Guild Wars 2.

Paying for a game once?
Excuse me, the nineties called. They want want their reasonable business concepts back.

Longstreet:
I do love free shit.

I'll say this much, Trion has done a good job of polishing the game. Even in Beta for when it was first coming out it ran pretty much without a hitch for me. From the bits I've played after the fact, the game was always a well-polished, if formulaic, experience. I never did get all that far though, but it's a good game.

A very far cry from the epic experience promised originally of course back when it was first announced a long while ago, but that pretty much applies to damn near any game nowadays. At least its wasn't an overpromised terrible game, just an overpromised, good game then. And its still a decent game now.

Gotta say though, the recently added Soul who turns their staff into greatswords, scythes, and the like... Reaally has my interest...

o.0

they switching cause they need to or just cause?

See, game companies, if you're going to do F2P, this is the way to do it. I'm actually fully intending to go back and give your game another try now, when before I ignored it after a few days in open beta. Not going to judge what this means to the health of the game (bites the dust? really?). I expect this change will serve them well.

Capcha, I swear to god I will refresh you until you aren't an ad anymore, no matter how long it takes...
"Stand by me" NO.

I liked that they specifically underlined that their game isn't gonna screw with the curve just to make a buck. They have my full approval.

Hmm. Might pick this up if I have nothing to do over summer. Even if I don't, they still have my approval for not having shitey nickel-and-dime-ing business practices. Like some companies I could name...

Impressed it lasted two years as a sub based game too. A lot of MMOs seem to die off within the first 12 months now. Anyone know if it's doing this 'cos it ran out of subs or 'cos of other reasons?

And so the last successfully launched subscription MMO changes to F2P after 2 years.

This seems like the fairest F2P conversion I've seen in a long time. They're giving you almost everything subscribers get now.. for nothing, then selling optional extras.

I really hope this works for them! It's almost exactly the opposite way that SWTOR did it, where they take away HUGE chunks of the game, then nickel and dime you to get you back to the previous basic version.

I played the beta of this before, and had some fun, so I'll definitely go back and have another look.

I'm now completely certain that the market will not accept a new subscrption-based MMO in the foreseeable future, but I think WoW can probably stay with that model for another year or so at least.

Neverwinter is f2p and it's doing pretty good? o_O

Well this F2P model sounds WAAAAY better than TOR's

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or