Angry Birds Hits Theaters In 2016

Angry Birds - Screenshot 02

The Angry Birds film adaptation moves one step closer to reality with the announcement of an official release date.

Are there any two words in the English language more beautiful than "Angry Birds?" Yes, of course there are. Many of them. Despite this, the Angry Birds franchise has attracted the kind of global following usually reserved for Liverpudlian musicians and long-haired hippie messiah types. Thus, and despite everyone's better judgement, a film based on the Angry Birds games was inevitable.

Actually, it's more than inevitable. You'll be able to plunk down money for tickets to this flick on July 1, 2016. According to the Hollywood Reporter, Sony Pictures has struck up a deal with Angry Birds publisher Rovio to bring the movie to the silver screen, and July 1 is the date the two firms have decided upon.

"Sony impressed us with their great attitude, determination, and professionalism," says Rovio CEO Mikael Hed. "They convinced us that we have found the right partners and team to help us market and distribute our first motion picture."

With this film's debut being so far off, it should come as little surprise that the cast and crew of the 3D animated movie have yet to be nailed down - or, if they have, that Sony and Rovio are being very tight-lipped about the whole thing. The only really useful information we have is that Despicable Me producer John Cohen has signed on to produce the Angry Birds movie alongside Iron Man executive producer David Maisel. Expect more details to slowly emerge over the next ... well, three years or so.

With that much time to kill, there's only one thing we, as vaguely intrigued observers, can do: Speculate wildly on what this flick might be like. Personally, I'm hoping it's a Heart of Darkness spoof where a loyal red bird is forced to fling himself deep into the heart of the Congo, and directly into the path of a crazed, despotic pig. Bonus points if any of this causes Martin Sheen to suffer a heart attack.

Comments below. Speculate. Go.

Source: THR

Earnest Cavalli:
Comments below. Speculate. Go.

Sony Moron 1: "You know that Angry Birds made millions right?"
Sony Moron 2: "Huh? Did it?"
Sony Moron 1: "That's right, we should totally cash in on that, and try and get even more!"
Sony Moron 2: "Okay, let's see if we can get a deal!"

Is pretty much how I imagine it went.

Let's be honest, considering what it's based upon, how can it be anything other than a cash grab? The stupid thing is that it will be out in 2016, at which point everybody will have forgotten it and moved onto the next hit smartphone game.

Why is this a thing? What could possibly be in an Angry Birds movie, how can one fill out a feature length film with Angry Birds? I don't hate the games or anything but I just can't comprehend this.

I can't understand why they need three years to make this, unless they're using it as an allegory for suicide bombers.

buk-buk bukAAAAWWWW!
*explosion*

I see romance: a pig and bird coming together at high velocity through the walls that separate them. The pig's father - a corrupt and incompetent building safety inspector - protests the match until the writers drop a bridge on him midway through the movie. The slingshot romance is impactful and kinetic, and the bird's shocking concussion-induced death at the end leaves a deep hole on the landscape of the whole piece. Music to be performed by Stomp.

It's a game about angry birds. Flinging themselves into buildings and smashing Pigs. What on Gods green earth would take 3 years and god knows how many millions of dollars. I thought it was unusual that Ratchet and Clank was getting a movie, awesome but weird. This however, how are you going to stretch the concept of "getting back the eggs from Pig" can you stretch out in an hour and a half? People can usually beat the Angry Birds "campaign" in less time then that.

The five minute Angry Bird animations that already exist are already the perfect length for Angry Bird related japes, why do we need a feature length movie?

Captcha: Keep Calm. Thank you Captcha; I'll try.

Allow me to end all this "How the hell are they going to do this?!" speculation right now, because the trailer for this has already been out for a while:

Gotta love Rooster Teeth. :P

Even if this is awful, I'll see it.

And then in three years when the filmmakers' lack of obligation to following a story designed to be experienced in the disparate medium of gaming results in Angry Birds becoming the first good video game movie ever, the gaming community will rip itself asunder.

GodzillaGuy92:
And then in three years when the filmmakers' lack of obligation to following a story designed to be experienced in the disparate medium of gaming results in Angry Birds becoming the first good video game movie ever, the gaming community will rip itself asunder.

The gaming community? Try the whole universe cracking!

I still don't understand. The Angry Birds fad will probably be over by then. The Ratchet and Clank movie being made kinda makes sense, but this? How much movie can you make from a premise about suicidal birds flinging themselves at unstable structures full of green pigs?

Berithil:

I still don't understand. The Angry Birds fad will probably be over by then. The Ratchet and Clank movie being made kinda makes sense, but this? How much movie can you make from a premise about suicidal birds flinging themselves at unstable structures full of green pigs?

That was actually kind of the point of my post. There is no plot to Angry Birds outside of birds throwing themselves at barricaded pigs, which means that outside of that, the filmmakers are free to give the film adaption whatever story they want. Which means that it's more or less as likely to succeed as any regular film, whereas most video game adaptions are at an automatic disadvantage. So it very well might suck, but unlike most other video game films, it's not a near-certainty.

GodzillaGuy92:

Berithil:

That was actually kind of the point of my post. There is no plot to Angry Birds outside of birds throwing themselves at barricaded pigs, which means that outside of that, the filmmakers are free to give the film adaption whatever story they want. Which means that it's more or less as likely to succeed as any regular film, whereas most video game adaptions are at an automatic disadvantage. So it very well might suck, but unlike most other video game films, it's not a near-certainty.

That second bit wasn't actually directed towards you, but my reply to the thread in general :P

But, yes. It is a possibility. But the Battleship game has next to no premise, and we all know how that turned out as a movie...

Berithil:
That second bit wasn't actually directed towards you, but my reply to the thread in general :P

But, yes. It is a possibility. But the Battleship game has next to no premise, and we all know how that turned out as a movie...

...Well, that's my argument completely dismantled. Guess I have no choice but to be pessimistic about Angry Birds now. Oh well.

GodzillaGuy92:

Berithil:

...Well, that's my argument completely dismantled. Guess I have no choice but to be pessimistic about Angry Birds now. Oh well.

Oh, don't be such a grump. I did say it was a possibility. But I still don't have much hope for it.

And this is coming from someone who's considered an optimist.

Berithil:
Oh, don't be such a grump. I did say it was a possibility. But I still don't have much hope for it.

And this is coming from someone who's considered an optimist.

(Just to be clear, I was making a joke, not being sarcastic. The Battleship example was a legitimately good point, and I'm honestly surprised I never thought to make the connection myself.)

GodzillaGuy92:

(Just to be clear, I was making a joke, not being sarcastic. The Battleship example was a legitimately good point, and I'm honestly surprised I never thought to make the connection myself.)

Ok, good. Sometimes it's hard to detect a joke over the internet.

Berithil:

Ok, good. Sometimes it's hard to detect a joke over the internet.

Yeah, sorry about that. The "oh well" at the end was my attempt to communicate a lightness of tone.

ANYWAY. Let's say we (well, mostly I) not derail the thread any further.

The only way this can be good is that for each screening, the theater staff dress up as pigs and random objects and the audience gets to throw Angry Bird plushies at them for 90 minutes.

Legion:

Let's be honest, considering what it's based upon, how can it be anything other than a cash grab? The stupid thing is that it will be out in 2016, at which point everybody will have forgotten it and moved onto the next hit smartphone game.

Hey!
What about their "artistic integrity"?
I'm sure the film inspired from a game where birds fling themselves violently at objects has the same potential as any other work of art! (like that of Duchamp's Urinal perhaps)

Is it just me who finds the game not the slightest bit fun or addictive? Usually these mobile games get by on being fun in short bursts and something you want to return to, but Angry Birds is just... fucking tedious.

Also this is the dumbest idea for a movie I've ever heard. It's bound to be massively popular and make me hate everyone for the brief time anyone cares about it for, like I always do when something supremely moronic gets big.

It's the Mario movie all over again, but in crappy CGI!

By the time this comes out... would anyone even care anymore?

Who knows but I stopped caring already.

Atmos Duality:
The only way this can be good is that for each screening, the theater staff dress up as pigs and random objects and the audience gets to throw Angry Bird plushies at them for 90 minutes.

This made me laugh much more than it should have.

OT: The movie will probably end up succeeding based on morbid curiosity, as well as people going out of their way to watch it to indulge in it's terribleness.

Why? WHY?
There are many games that can translate into movies. I wouldn't mind seeing a Bioshock movie. It seems that all the casual gamers get their way while the hardcore gamers get left into the dust.

List of Movies that can translate into movies:
Bioshock
Fallout
Metal Gear Solid
Pikmin
Legend of Zelda
Metroid
God of War (even I would probably like to see this)
Half-Life

The list can go on, but seriously, Angry Birds?

He was a pig, she was a bird. Their love was pure, their romance forbidden. Angry Birds, in theaters 2016!

Hemlock:
Why? WHY?
There are many games that can translate into movies. I wouldn't mind seeing a Bioshock movie. It seems that all the casual gamers get their way while the hardcore gamers get left into the dust.

Bioshock
Fallout
Metal Gear Solid
Pikmin
Legend of Zelda
Metroid
Half-Life

Just out of curiosity, but how could you turn Pikmin into a movie?

kailus13:
He was a pig, she was a bird. Their love was pure, their romance forbidden. Angry Birds, in theaters 2016!

Hemlock:
Why? WHY?

Bioshock
Fallout
Metal Gear Solid
Pikmin
Legend of Zelda
Metroid
Half-Life

Just out of curiosity, but how could you turn Pikmin into a movie?

Olimar crashes on the planet and they have to get enough resources to rebuild the ship.

Well...This can either become the worst videogame film ever or the best.
That's the problem with adaptations of something that only really has a premise but no actual plot attatched to it, It would be like making a DDR movie.

Earnest Cavalli:
A film based on the Angry Birds games was inevitable.

Inevitable? How is it even possible?

We have found the right partners and team to help us market and distribute our first motion picture.

our first motion picture.

first

Wat? There will be MOAR?

Huh, at least it sounds like they do have a really good team. I guess worse things have happened...

Hemlock:
Why? WHY?

I agree. Why do so many great games get ignored? I know the stories would have to be adapted for the big screen, something like MGS would have to be severely condensed, but that's like a whole script right there, ready made!

When they do try to adapt movies with great storylines (I'm looking primarily at Max Payne and Silent Hill) they butcher them to the point where everything that made the games great is stripped away. It's genuinely distressing.

How will this medium ever be taken seriously when the only games that reach a mainstream audience are things like Angry Birds? It's just perpetuating the popular misconception that video games are for children and the mentally unhinged.

Earnest Cavalli:

Are there any two words in the English language more beautiful than "Angry Birds?" Yes, of course there are. Many of them.

Cellar Door

OT: i dunno, does angry birds really NEED a movie. and furthermore, thats running the risk of assuming Angry Birds still has the attention of the public in 2015. i mean, there's really only so many licensed alterations they can release before going stale like the Tony Hawk franchise.

Okay okay I get it, I'm dreaming. In a few seconds I'm going to wake up in the real world.

Now.

Okay now.

Now?

This is too stupid to be reality, I have to be dreaming.

SOMEBODY PINCH ME ALREADY!

The only way that this can work is making it an 'in name only' adaption.

'My name is Sgt Pidgeon. And this is my crack fighter squadron...the Angry Birds.'

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here