First Look at a Preview Card From Magic's New Core Set

First Look at a Preview Card From Magic's New Core Set

Art

Sure, this card might be the backbone of an amazing tribal deck, but it's certainly no Sliver.

This summer's Magic: the Gathering Core Set hasn't seen too many reveals, but the reintroduction of Slivers to the game has fans simultaneously clamoring for more, and demanding heads on stakes for the not-so-subtle changes to the way they behave from the original incarnation of the creature type. If you're not a Sliver aficionado, the difference is that the new Slivers only affect creatures you control, making their interactions in the game generally easier to manage, but not really keeping with the original spirit of the creature type. Today's preview card probably won't cause that much of a stir, since it's not actually a Sliver, but it's a neat little party trick for limited.

Name and CC

Its name is Colossal Whale, and it has a matching casting cost. At seven mana, this guy is already off the table for 90% of constructed decks, but it's not too hard to get to seven mana in limited formats, so we're keeping hope alive.

Power and Toughness

It's a 5/5 creature, which is a little small for the casting cost, but still beefy enough to be considered a "bomb" in the right circumstance.

Creature Type

The gold M14 symbol means it's a Rare, and it has the "Whale" creature type, making it only the fourth Whale creature ever printed.

Islandwalk

Now that's interesting. Landwalk abilities can be pretty powerful, but they're even more useful in Two-Headed Giant formats, where the chances of at least one of your opponents playing a given color is vastly increased. This guy will probably make some waves (ha!) in Two-Headed Giant limited formats, where he'll be often be unblockable.

Main Ability

Now we get to the good stuff. As a 5/5, there aren't going to be too many creatures that can block it favorably. When you're utilizing this ability, it makes it even harder to be able to kill the Colossal Whale with blocks, since your best blocker is going to get removed every time it attacks. This guy is no Angel of Serenity, but he's got some serious bomb potential in Limited formats like Sealed Deck, especially in the Two-Headed Giant variety.

Putting all the pieces together, we're happy to introduce Colossal Whale! Enjoy!

Hey guys! I've got an idea!

We can use... WHALES!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhub4ExmVQg

This card may be terrible, but I'll run it anyways.

Also: This is new wording tech on 'Exile, then return later'

Now they need to make a Connor Kenway Card.

Falterfire:

We can use... WHALES!

I'll probably run it in my 'monsters of the sea' deck which I have planed on making, also featuring, giant octopuses, leviathans and karkens.

It's the Jonah Whale (bet that was its playtest name). You neglected to mention that the flavor is that this whale eats people every time it attacks :P

Anyway, core set is looking great so far, I just really hope the ramp spells are there.

I can see this synergising well with Finest Hour or any other card that gives you a second combat phase.
No doubt it's going be a heavy hitter in Commander and Highlander though, due to its consistent removal.
Ether way I see some interesting combos coming from this guy.

I'm disappointed, someone in the creative and/or flavor department should have made this a legendary white creature.

Falterfire:

We can use... WHALES!

I don't think they are saying the card is bad, just that for serious play most decks don't like using high mana cost cards (outside of green I assume) Also, I think exile is still exile just that's it's a location for cards to be and not necessarily one or two series of events that can happen to cards.

If I remember right it sounds like they are removing some of the chaos that Slivers added but wasn't that half the fun?

Lucane:
I don't think they are saying the card is bad, just that for serious play most decks don't like using high mana cost cards (outside of green I assume) Also, I think exile is still exile just that's it's a location for cards to be and not necessarily one or two series of events that can happen to cards.

If I remember right it sounds like they are removing some of the chaos that Slivers added but wasn't that half the fun?

You don't understand why this card's wording is important: With a card like Fiend Hunter the exile/return is two separate abilities. This means you can do something like Cloudshift in order to keep the card permanently exiled. It also means if the controller is killed in a multiplayer game the exiled cards never come back because the effect that would bring them back belongs to a player no longer in the game.

This is a new rules template, which is why I mentioned it. (Also this card is terrible. It's too much mana for not enough body and not enough effect)

Love the art, though the I think something that big would do more damage than a group of undead businessmen or a really big pig. Oh well, solid card for limited or casual.

Man... I miss Magic. It's hard to justify the hobby when you already play D&D more than once a week though XD

Got save up some money, you know?

That picture does wonders for my megalophobia.

So, will Hexproof come back? :)

tautologico:

Good Lord I hope not.

Ahem... anyways... Doesn't the art make it seem a little bit more than a 5/5? A single Pirate Ship was a 4/3.

Welcome to Magic, Monstro.

The slivers bother me for the simple fact that they aren't Slivers in the artwork. They're clearly dudes: non-clawed arms; two legs; humanoid head... Slivers are more serpentine; sleek and efficient, with pointed, angular heads and talon-like forearms. Oh well... at least I can get excited about Archangel of Thune (aka. everyone is Ajani's Pridemate!, or Spike Feeder's new best friend). Incidentally... does any one know if Lightkeeper of Emeria's multikicker counts as separate life gain events or just one? Archangel of Thune makes that important...

JEBWrench:

tautologico:

Good Lord I hope not.

Ah, the internet.

Stay classy, Escapist community.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password: