SimCity DLC Coming This Month

SimCity DLC Coming This Month

Step right up to your own SimCity amusement park.

Are you over that whole SimCity launch fiasco? Everything's fixed now, right? And it's been a few months, so you're probably more than ready for additional in-game content. Good news! SimCity DLC is coming in just a few short weeks. Starting May 28, you'll be able to build and customize your own virtual amusement park in everyone's favorite always-online game.

A listing for the DLC was accidentally released by developer Maxis and captured by HypnoToad Productions. The leaked screens in the video show off amusement park staples like a ferris wheel, go-kart track, roller coaster, and a good-sized parking lot; other than the images, there's not a lot of information about the expansion.

The response on the official SimCity Facebook page seemingly confirmed the expansion, as well as dating it: "Some of you may have seen thrilling new SimCity content that arrived too early at the gate. It's coming May 28th. We think you'll be amused." The Facebook post (and leaked information) didn't mention a price. SimCity sold like hotcakes at launch, but I'm curious about how much of that interest will carry over into DLC sales. As a Mac user, I'm still waiting for SimCity to be released for OS X, so I guess I'll see this DLC sometime around Christmas.

Source: HypnoToad Productions via Joystiq

This would be nice if I had more than a minicity to work with.

STEP RIGHT UP STEP RIGHT UP!!! Buy DLC for your broken game! The traffic still fucks itself up the ass based on basic mathematics and bullshit design you say? WHO GIVES A FUCK!!! All you need to forget about that is to buy our shit! New buildings which esentially boil down to a park with stats, movement animations and one that generates EVEN MORE TRAFFIC to clog up your roads! Not to mention it would probably take up several city blocks and generate shit all in revenue, cost you tons of power and other crap (literally) and put you in the red for the rest of your game! Now who could say no to that?!

The price you say? Well given that it is basically one building, with multiple nodes that you have to "plop" (ugh) and probably didn't take us allot of effort to make, I wouldn't know I am just the snake oil salesman, I don't make the stuff, it would be yours for the price of just 9,99$ (just wait and see it will be higher, like 14,99)!

Despite my sarcasm I long stopped hoping for SimCity to be fixed when people cranked the math and literally proved just how broken and retarded it is. Everything is broken in that game, from start to finish there is not a single thing that did not annoy me in that game, the only fun I had was dicking around in sandbox mode because the main game just offers no fucking challenge at all. It was a waiting game where I waited X amount of hours for money to roll in. Might as well just ignore that then and just Alt+W your way to your perfect STILL in the green city! The difference being about 50 hours of utter banality and frustration.

Who would even BUY this? I joked that it takes up a fifth of your city, but it actually looks like it will with all the different rides, parking lots and the tourists it will bring will clog up your roads like... well... there is nothing worse than what the game already does on it's own. It's shit.

I read this and feel like they're saying "We just got done beating you senselessly and getting off on it...ready for round two?"

I just feel like they're pressing their luck here and that they honestly owe their players a little something treating them like this...but, I know people are sure to buy the DLC. Just hope it's enough to at least cause a pause for EA. A slight dip in sales...what the hell am I saying? I'm still giving EA money myself (for different products) so it's not like I can judge.

Question: Did the escapist staff just forget to do the review for this game? They said they were all set to do it, but couldn't log in long enough to do a proper review, and that they were just going to wait until some of the bugs got fixed and it was playable.... Supposedly it is now playable, and yet no review. Any thoughts?

I doubt the citizens will even be able to reach it.

The only thing I can think of when I see this is that I wish somebody would make a new RollerCoaster Tycoon game.

MorganL4:
Question: Did the escapist staff just forget to do the review for this game? They said they were all set to do it, but couldn't log in long enough to do a proper review, and that they were just going to wait until some of the bugs got fixed and it was playable.... Supposedly it is now playable, and yet no review. Any thoughts?

Simple, my dear Watson! They are still waiting for all those same bugs to get fixed and for the game to be playable!

cursedseishi:

MorganL4:

Simple, my dear Watson! They are still waiting for all those same bugs to get fixed and for the game to be playable!

Plus they had to install Origin. That's probably why the server bugged out and everyone got those "epic poster" badges without earning them. /joking

C'mon, Maxis. Give us bigger cities, give us offline mode, fix the traffic for real, and totally rework natural resources such that you don't run out of everything right away. You don't have all that much that needs fixed, but those things are VERY important things. Once you've got those core issues worked out, THEN you can start releasing expansions. But continuing to pretend like the game is fine as-is won't keep working. We may have thought online-only might not ruin the game before release, but now we've all played it and don't like it; until you get us to trust the game again, you won't be able to sell us expansions.

P.S. Thanks

Hmm... Can I make a theme park that is poop-themed and poop-powered? I think it fits the theme that is this game...

Covarr:
C'mon, Maxis. Give us bigger cities, give us offline mode, fix the traffic for real, and totally rework natural resources such that you don't run out of everything right away. You don't have all that much that needs fixed, but those things are VERY important things. Once you've got those core issues worked out, THEN you can start releasing expansions. But continuing to pretend like the game is fine as-is won't keep working. We may have thought online-only might not ruin the game before release, but now we've all played it and don't like it; until you get us to trust the game again, you won't be able to sell us expansions.

P.S. Thanks

I wouldn't call the entire engine not much :D

It's quite a daunting task to fix SimCity 2013 because it honestly entails making a new game and not fucking it up.

So is this going to be the 'Coca-Cola Themepark' DLC or something? I'm suprised they haven't gone in for their advertising thing again.

why not just play this game?
Or any other theme park sim for that matter.

Gutsripper:
The only thing I can think of when I see this is that I wish somebody would make a new RollerCoaster Tycoon game.

One came out last year for the 3DS.

Evil Smurf:

...I find it so sad that I never knew that there were more Roller Coaster Tycoon games passed the first one...T^T

OT: EA, does this DLC come with bug fixes, or are those for future DLCs?

Ten dollars? I've got a better deal for six:

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/simcity_2000_special_edition

I think that at this point the staff knows that those here are well enough informed to avoid buying it and without putting out an actual review, they lessen the chances of EA getting pissed at the seething hatred. But the DLC will be overpriced and not worth it, while no one will be surprised.

CriticalMiss:
So is this going to be the 'Coca-Cola Themepark' DLC or something? I'm suprised they haven't gone in for their advertising thing again.

oh, no, they are going green for their DLC, didn't you see the Nissan Leaf charging station?

OT: Too little too late? Im pretty sure the handful of people who are still playing SimCity 2013 would rather play Roller-coaster Tycoon than add yet another damn building that will just fuck up the already fucked traffic even more.

Neronium:

Evil Smurf:

...I find it so sad that I never knew that there were more Roller Coaster Tycoon games passed the first one...T^T

OT: EA, does this DLC come with bug fixes, or are those for future DLCs?

All it required was a quick google. I'm sure can get it on GOG.

1337mokro:

It's quite a daunting task to fix SimCity 2013 because it honestly entails making a new game and not fucking it up.

Stardock did that.

Apparently they have more resources and money than Electronic Arts.

Because the Enchantress game is a vast improvement over Elemental.

And they have the balls to charge money for it

Sarah LeBoeuf:
SimCity sold like hotcakes at launch, but I'm curious about how much of that interest will carry over into DLC sales.

It would be interesting to see how many people buy into this, just to gauge the popularity, bad press and attach rate.
Albeit, not perfectly. But still. It'd be an interesting barometer.

Ok, great. But will we be able to fit a virtual amusement park into our tiny little cities? Ehm, no.

theultimateend:

1337mokro:

Stardock did that.

Stardock also has the advantage of being run by people who have brains, and letting the people who have talent actually use it in their studio.

Its really no fair comparing Stardock to EA.

I guess we will see the real sale figures now.
and nice for adding paid DLCs to a MMO (their words, not mine) that you still fail to make playable.

Capcha: extra cheese. yeah, id rather buy that.

Allow the cities to be larger, when the scale is considered, than what the original Theme Park allowed, and then I might consider buying even the core game itself...

Seriously, my dad's lived in villages larger than what it currently allows, and I've certainly been to (local) theme parks that measure more on a side. You won't get much more than a basic funfair going with this...

Strazdas:
I guess we will see the real sale figures now.
and nice for adding paid DLCs to a MMO (their words, not mine) that you still fail to make playable.

Capcha: extra cheese. yeah, id rather buy that.

cheese is awesome,

ea is bad for your body, mind, wallet and probably rots your teeth somehow.. most things seem to.

I see simcity exactly like the latest starwars, it's a single player game that's been expanded as cheaply as possible into a pseudo-mmo because people want a good mmo, so market analysts say: 'those sell well' ( except they don't. ) tis a sad downward spiral, but eventually we'll get over it until then, we'll just have to wrestle with the bloated cold sweat the industry is forcing apon us,

like a soft cheese induced nightmare!

The dude in that video thumbnail looks like he's missing an eyelid. I know it's a monocle but still...

Is a single building really enough to be DLC? Most other games would release such a thing as a patch or offer up a selection of buildings or something.

theultimateend:

1337mokro:

Stardock did that.

Of course not, they just had a soul :D

Desert Punk:

theultimateend:

1337mokro:

Stardock did that.

Stardock also has the advantage of being run by people who have brains, and letting the people who have talent actually use it in their studio.

Its really no fair comparing Stardock to EA.

Fair enough ;).

I do wish big companies were as passionate about making a solid product as smaller ones. But what can ya do? (other than only supporting people you like I suppose).

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here