Dredd Sequel May Still Happen

Pages PREV 1 2 3

I'm with pretty much everyone in the thread here. Dredd was the best pure action film I've since... since I can even remember. Too many action films now-a-days get hobbled by PG13 or spend too much time meandering around or just trying to find excuses to jump from one rediculous thing to the next. Dredd was tigtly packaged, had neat ideas, didn't have glaring plot holes and told a concise, self-contained story.

Even with all of the though, the very best thing about Dredd is that it did the thing that makes action movies truly great. Dredd had individual scenes that are really, in my opinion, iconic.

Andy of Comix Inc:

I think the highest praise I can give Dredd 3D is that it was the film Avatar should have been. Well, that wasn't my praise, but I was told this afterwards and it makes a lot of sense.

A tight, no-nonsense plot. Well-choreographed set-pieces. Impeccable effects shots. Astonishing use of slow-motion. A running time less than ninety minutes.

It gets in, expends all its ideas, and then gets out. Quick, simple, brutal. The PERFECT 3D popcorn flick. The effects, the scope - everything was perfect as a spectacle film. The kind of film, arguably, 3D was made for. Meanwhile, Avatar meanders around for hours, trying to "pull you into the world". Fuck that! Just give us an hour and a half of astonishing 3D effects held up by a solid script. Don't give us three hours of the same 3D effects over and over again held up by a mediocre script.

I understand that there are people forever abstinent from 3D films, and that's totally cool. But for me, Dredd 3D is up there with Hugo as a cinematic 3D outing that used 3D properly and effectively - if not exceedingly well.

Oh I agree, the 3D was actually very good and used effectively. I'm just one of the few unfortunate bastards who gets migraines and nausea from it, which spoils my enjoyment somewhat. Still, it wasn't the 3 hour behemoth that was Avatar so I wasn't sitting there just feeling worse and worse.

The recent movie was alright. I liked it well enough that I'd be down for a sequel. What I loved about it was the effects they did for the drug scenes. Those were straight up gorgeous.

Watched it and loved it saw it in the cinema with my brother who was a huge fan of 2000 AD back in the day we were both giggling like little school girls when we were in the cinema haha, the excitement you see :D

I got the DVD and showed it to some friends of mine and one of them hated it, for no other reason than 'It's shit', this guy isn't really a science fiction fan though so he doesn't count, the rest of them loved it. I would love to see a sequel with the badass ramped up would be great!

I think the biggest problem with Dredd was that The Raid: Redemption came out like 1-2 weeks before and was basically the same movie with better action.

FargoDog:
Oh I agree, the 3D was actually very good and used effectively. I'm just one of the few unfortunate bastards who gets migraines and nausea from it, which spoils my enjoyment somewhat. Still, it wasn't the 3 hour behemoth that was Avatar so I wasn't sitting there just feeling worse and worse.

Thought about investing in those 3D-to-2D glasses thingies?

Saw it and loved it, then bought the bluray. So yeah I want a sequal.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here