Assassin's Creed Movie Gets Release Date

Assassin's Creed Movie Gets Release Date

Assassin's Creed

Ubisoft Motion Picture's Assassin's Creed film will be hitting theaters May 22nd, 2015.

Despite Hollywood's ability to create sprawling epics that take audiences to different ages, worlds and realities, a good videogame movie seems like a puzzle the film industry is never going to crack. There have been some films to come close. Mortal Kombat is fun, if not necessarily good, and some would point to Angelina Jolie's Tomb Raider as being an entertaining romp. That said, there has never really been a movie based on a videogame that franchise fans, audiences, and critics alike have looked at and loved.

We'll give Hollywood some credit though, they're persistent. The long in the works adaptation of Assassin's Creed has recently been gifted with a release date. The film, whose cast includes X-Men: First Class and Prometheus star Michael Fassbender, is now set for release on May 22nd, 2015. The film, which is being made by Ubisoft Motion Pictures, will be co-produced and distributed by New Regency and 20th Century Fox. Sony Pictures had previously been in talks with Ubisoft to acquire film rights to the franchise, but the deal fell apart due to strict requirements placed on the deal by Ubisoft.

Given the complex lore behind the Assassin's Creed franchise, there is a lot of material already available to help make film with several sequels. That said, there are virtually no details released at the moment and the film's creators haven't even let slip which character Michael Fassbender will be playing. The film's new release date could also raise some concerns. While it seems natural for the film to take part in the summer blockbuster season, its success could wind up being stunted if other prominent projects slated for that year steal its thunder.

Source: Box Office Mojo

Michael Fassbender running around a historical setting stabbing people in the neck sounds great to me, but on the other hand, there's a high chance of shit, being a videogame movie and all. I'm hoping they just don't mention Desmond and the Animus crap too much, and focus more on the historical side of things.

TheRightToArmBears:
Michael Fassbender running around a historical setting stabbing people in the neck sounds great to me, but on the other hand, there's a high chance of shit, being a videogame movie and all. I'm hoping they just don't mention Desmond and the Animus crap too much, and focus more on the historical side of things.

Indeed, I feel as though the whole thing will be more novel if they appeal to that aspect. Desmond's stuff was interesting in the first game when it was still mysterious, but now that we know that it doesn't really go anywhere, keeping it on the down low for a more general audience is probably for the best.

An AC movie is pretty doable in terms of content vs time. As Yahtzee so eloquently put it, you spend a lot of time "faffing about" in the games. If the movie closely followed the main storyline, it'd probably be around 2 hours long. Of course what remains to be scene is if the screenplay will take the original story in a vastly different (and inferior) direction.

I liked the Prince of Persia movie.
And these two games are pretty similar, sort of... I know one is open world and one not etc but the combat style, climbing high stuff, acrobatics etc.
Somehow I also think I've got the actor for this one ;)

This can be good... would love a good AssCreed Movie.

Does this mean Ubisoft are no longer a videogame company, but an 'entertainment' company?

Christ, if that isn't indicative of where the games industry is going, I don't know what is...

Somehow Fassbender strikes me as more a Machiavelli then an Ezio.
Unfortunately there is only one actor borring enough to play Desmond (If they include him at all)

It would be nice if they could get Jeremy Irons to play Rodrigo again.

How cool would it be if the movie followed a whole new assassin, that way they have more room for exploration in that universe and less chance to fuck up the characters of, say, Ezio or Altair.

Yeah I didn't mind the Prince of Persia movie either.

I'd have zero interest in a movie based on AC1. AC2, or a whole new assassin might get my bum in the seat though.

I feel nothing but doubt in my heart for this...

TheRightToArmBears:

...now I must try to find something else to say because you sir, have summarized my points I would make in but one paragraph.

Hmm... *begins to ponder something new to say*

As long as they take the core of the game, its main elements and write the film based on that. A movie based on a game are not difficult to do, just that the people making them put to much pointless crap in them. Lots of nod and winks to fans and other rubbish. An all that fan service just gets in the way of a good story.

The first 20 or so minutes of the Prince of Persia film could pass as AC, what with the running around parkour action, the stabbing, and the jumping off of a ledge after the camera is done swooping around Jake Gyllenhaal.

Thinking about it, the Assassins Creed universe must be a godsend for any movie director given the project. You can pick any time period you want and say "yep, that one" and most likely be suported by the lore. Just as long as they don't choose the middle east 2000 years ago...

The:
How cool would it be if the movie followed a whole new assassin, that way they have more room for exploration in that universe and less chance to fuck up the characters of, say, Ezio or Altair.

My vote is for this^^^. It would make such a better movie if they were trying to make a film in the ass. Creed universe rather than adapting the games

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
Does this mean Ubisoft are no longer a videogame company, but an 'entertainment' company?

Christ, if that isn't indicative of where the games industry is going, I don't know what is...

And yet if this were Nintendo you'd be at the frontlines defending it.

Huh, so let's look at the movies set for release in 2015:

-Ratchet and Clank
-Assassin's Creed
-Justice League
-Avengers 2
-Star Wars ep 7

...and the first two are video game movies to popular franchises.

We all know there's only one actor who could possibly play Desmond, if it came to that...

But seriously, I think Assassin's Creed would be the sort of video game franchise whose movie adaptation would benefit from having a completely original storyline away from established characters. Keep the core concepts: the Animus, the Abstergo/Assassin war, bland protagonists with cool ancestors... but do everything else with other characters.

God only knows I've had enough of Ezio as it is.

Odd... why would a bad franchise get a movie?

Proverbial Jon:
We all know there's only one actor who could possibly play Desmond, if it came to that...

But seriously, I think Assassin's Creed would be the sort of video game franchise whose movie adaptation would benefit from having a completely original storyline away from established characters. Keep the core concepts: the Animus, the Abstergo/Assassin war, bland protagonists with cool ancestors... but do everything else with other characters.

God only knows I've had enough of Ezio as it is.

Or, you know...

He probably has the acting chops to play Desmond and no, that's not a compliment. >.>

Btw, how do we know this is going to be about Ezio?

I am massively skeptical about this. The reason most video-game movies are so bad is because the games are never long-loved by most of the people working on them, they never get anyone who really "gets" the games. There's a reason the LOTR adaptions were so brilliant, because Peter Jackson had a massive fanboy love for the books, so he "got" them. This just has a massive chance of either deviating too far from the games (Resident Evil) or failing to make the game's stories into good movies.

say what you want about Uwe Boll, but i stand firm that if you're a true fan of the Postal series, you can't think his movie adaptation was anything less than brilliant. fact.

AJey:
Odd... why would a bad franchise get a movie?

Because it made a lot of money with a studio who already turned another franchise into a movie with moderate success?

OT: A couple years ago this would have had me a little excited but playing the newer games of the seriers really killed all interest I had in the franchise.

So does that mean that 20th Century Fox agreed to Ubisoft's aforementioned "strict requirements", or did that get thrown right out of the window?

This has all the earmarks of a "brand new Matrix" movie. Put Keanu Reeves under the old white hood and have him run around for two and a half hours shanking guardsmen and running away from Hugo Weaving's Templar.

Altogether now: "Oooooohhh nooooo!"

this I am excited for, tho I am a bit hesitant since the story in AC can be pretty out there :/

but Fassbender is an excellent actor that's for sure

The important question is are they going to have dudes give long winded talks that give away their entire history and motives while they have a knife placed firmly in their Aorta?

I loved Michael Fassbender in both 'X-Men: First Class' and his previous historical romp, 'Centurion'. The dude can kick ass in ancient Roman armor, I'm sure he'll be fine in whatever the Assassins are wearing in whatever time they place him. I'm also somewhat relieved to see that the Sony deal fell through because Ubisoft was being too controling, and that they're co-producing this production. That is a good sign, as one can hope that they have a vested interest in the franchise as a whole; and don't want an tangentially related movie flop destroying their cash-cow game series. Hopefully their own self interest will ensure we at least get a decent movie, if not a great one.

As for Fassbender, I think he's an enlightened pick. In light of the aforementioned 'Centurion', I can see him in just about any European historical setting. Of course the irony of having a ancient Greek/Roman Assassin would be great indeed. We've already covered the Crusades, the Renaissance, and the American Revolution. Short of dropping it in the recent past, where else would you have an interesting setting recognizable to a wider movie audience?

Well if they can make the story less shit then that would be good, I'm hoping for a separate arc of the AC world rather than a straight up conversion. Also, I figure Fassbender is a bit of a scene stealer so I reckon he should probably be the bad guy.

May 22nd, 2015? Star Wars Episode 7 will be sure to ruin any chances of this movie doing too well. May belongs to Star Wars. Always has, always will... especially when you add that everything keeps looking positive that this will be more in vein with the original trilogy and not the prequels. Even the Avengers would do wise to give this movie a wide berth.

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54106)