The Baby Has A Name: Xbox One

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

The Baby Has A Name: Xbox One

All in one, they say: what if a single box could provide all your entertainment?

"Xbox On," you'll say, and the little fella off to the right will do it for you. No more manual login, no more fiddling around. This is the device Microsoft will be calling Xbox One, as revealed today by the folks over at Redmond.

Voice commands are going to be what gets you from electronic A to B. Control is managed pretty much seamlessly - at least in the demo - taking you from "Xbox: watch ESPN" to "Xbox: Skype" in a second. Simple, instant, and complete are Microsoft's new watchwords. But for moment, just feast your eyes on the kit in the picture; this is only the first reveal today.

More to come!

Took you long enough.

Anyone got a high res of the new controller?

Is their at least the secondary option to manually navigate using buttons and sticks? Even if the voice recognition is accurate, I find talking to inanimate objects weird.

That name is terrible. Beyond, terrible, in fact, infinitely terrible. I also hope that the voice commands aren't always on, it'd suck to be talking about your xbox with friends in your living room and accidentally power it on or launch some app by mistake.

What is up with console makers coming up with horrible brand names all the time?

Well, so far it's not the bane of all consoles, so it seems to be going well.

JokerboyJordan:
Took you long enough.

looks like a standard xbox controller without the center Xbox button

heres a bigger picture

OT: does anyone else thinks it looks like an old VCR?

Edit: also found this one for you

Well at least they are not making teasers for the looks of their black box and show the thing.

Bwahahahaha! Is THAT seriously the best they could come up with? Xbox ONE??? Seriously if I told anyone, ANYONE what the name of the next Xbox was I would get kicked in the face for lying.

Interesting that the controller for the Xbox One and PS4 are not planning on being too different from previous consoles.

The console itself doesn't look particularly amazing IMO. The console itself looks horrible IMO.

And I thought "WiiU" was a bad name.

I wonder how many people are going to get confused by this and think it's a re-release of the original Xbox.

JokerboyJordan:
Took you long enough.

Got this from Kotaku.

Woops, seems like someone already got it for ya. Well, here's another just in case you want to look at it again.

I don't think I'll be getting this thing, thanks very much.

Tank207:
And I thought "WiiU" was a bad name.

I wonder how many people are going to get confused by this and think it's a re-release of the original Xbox.

Even though it's hardly a great name, I sincerely doubt they will, the original Xbox wasn't for casuals like the Wii.

So...

Any word on whether or not it'll play games? I mean Skype's cool and all but...

You know...

Shouldn't there be some game-related information for a reveal of a games-console?

Not sure about the name, preferred the idea of infinite. Still more details required before I can pass judgement.

This Xbox looks like it's about twenty years older than its predecessor. Seriously, I can imagine this would have looked cool back when I was born, but now it just looks like a VCR with an old, unwieldly controller.

Also, Xbox 720 was a better name.

Wow, One is lazy and what does that even mean? Even WiiU makes thematic sense. The controller reminds me of the huge one from way back when.

Terramax:
Interesting that the controller for the Xbox One and PS4 are not planning on being too different from previous consoles.

Well, they have both hit on a really good comfortable controller. Like they say, if its not broken, dont fix it.

I am rather glad both are keeping to whats comfortable.

So they've taken what I least liked about recent Xbox (the voice command) and chosen to focus on that.

I'm guessing they're going ahead with Kinect then.

Somehow even more confusing than WiiU.

8 new franchise?

Don't count your eggs yet Microsoft. Although it's nice for exclusive, NEW IPs

Hagi:
So...

You know...

Shouldn't there be some game-related information for a reveal of a games-console?

The reveal is on right now, they just revealed a few new IPs for the first year of its release as well as a few new games in series

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/may/21/xbox-720-microsoft-reveal-console-live-blog

Here is a link if you want to watch the reveal

.... suddenly I think I prefer the name 720.

Horrible name for 3rd Xbox

Xbox on (always)
Xbox dOne

Wow, that thing looks like a black version of my old VHS player that was made in the 80s.

and people were says

wiiU, is bad, sounds like a siren blah blah blah.

ps4, bland, uncreative...

now xbox one... ONE, all the other possiblitiies were better. 720, infinity...

Read Forza 5 is a launch title. Awesome news. Its about time a console was released with aproper exclusive title on launch. This is what WiiU should have done, but they never do.

Xbox One? What?

Have to hand it to Microsoft. They proved us wrong with a worse name than Infinity.

It is a smart thing for Microsoft to do in some respects, leaving most of the gaming for E3. This just seems more for their investors.

Karloff:

"Xbox On," you'll say, and the little fella off to the right will do it for you. No more manual login, no more fiddling around. This is the device Microsoft will be calling Xbox One, as revealed today by the folks over at Redmond.
>

Erm, what? "Xbox On"? Isn't one pronounced as "Won"?

OT:How could they fuck this up? Just call it the friggin "Xbox" ffs.

Well it looks like it was designed by a blind man and the name is pretty stupid. If i do ever decide one of these expensive paper weights I would at least like it to look moderately good this time since looking at it would probably be the most I would use it for. (unless of course they have some cool looking exclusives this gen)

Please Sony, don't mess up on the console reveal. Microsoft's console is a box with a box behind it and is solid black: Give the PS4 some style and you'll win this one.

Hagi:
So...

You know...

It isn't a video game console any more... just let go. It's alright, everything will be OK. Shhhh...

OT: This is just the final nail in Microsoft's coffin as far as I'm concerned. I don't want a multimedia box, I want a god damned video game console.

Ordinarily I can ignore all the other content they stick inside it, I honestly have with the 360, but since they've made zero mention of its main function, the ability to actually play games... well that's done it for me. I'm sticking with Sony for this round of consoles.

RaNDM G:
Xbox One? What?

At the moment that's looking like the far superior console. I loved my original Xbox so much.

That is one ugly piece of hardware.

Not sexy at all, and neither is the name.

I feel both disinterested and underwhelmed by this announcement so far. The look of the Xbox One is ok but reminds me of my old VCR. As for the announcement of titles, the majority of them are sports titles and a FPS.

Unless Xbox offers something more that will tickle my fancy in the near future, this is the best response I've got for the Xbox One and its future games (which happens to be my avatar)...

I think Microsoft forgot how to count.
Seriously not a name I expected, nor want now. And it looks like what everyone else is say, a friggin VCR from the 80's, and bad looking one at that to be honest.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here