The Baby Has A Name: Xbox One

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

As usual will wait to see if console has games worth getting until then will be working on a better name for it. Google translate away!

xbox yksi

xbox een

xbox jeden

xbox learned to subtract

xbox -359

xbox negatiivinen

arc1991:

Donzacuceron:

arc1991:
Wow, typical Escapist, judge something on the name, and not what it can do.

Did anyone see COD: Ghosts? OMFG! And this is coming from someone who has still has a bad taste after MW3.

It can obviously play games, they are just highlighting the fact it can do other things, what else can they say other than "it plays games better than the 360" -.- Face it, it's a multimedia entertainment system, you don't HAVE to watch anything if you don't want to, I'll probably download Netflix and leave it at that.

And at least they quelled the "Always Connected" Rumours, although going by nearly every response here, i doubt anyone was paying attention.

Wait is it always on or not I heard cloud and connected a lot.I got kind of worried in fact I still am.When did they say you can play offline

Always connected means always connected to you, that's why i got from it anyway, you voice, gestures activate it, even when it's off.

Microsoft aren't stupid, im guessing it is just severely limited when its offline, not been able to watch live things or access cloud for example.

But didn't they say that games save on cloud how will that work?Will it save on the HDD instead or

Baldr:
They been saying all day, this press conference was to show off the machine, the E3 Press Conference is to show off the games.

Can i hug you, seriously can i?

thank god someone payed attention other than myself.

Froggy Slayer:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/407912/microsoft-confirms-pre-owned-fee-for-xbox-one/

Welp, nice knowing you Microsoft. You crazy, crazy assholes.

Really? REALLY!?! They will charge you to play a second hand game? You can't even lend a friend a game in that case.

Donzacuceron:

arc1991:

Donzacuceron:

Wait is it always on or not I heard cloud and connected a lot.I got kind of worried in fact I still am.When did they say you can play offline

Always connected means always connected to you, that's why i got from it anyway, you voice, gestures activate it, even when it's off.

Microsoft aren't stupid, im guessing it is just severely limited when its offline, not been able to watch live things or access cloud for example.

But didn't they say that games save on cloud how will that work?Will it save on the HDD instead or

Obviously, if you look on page 2 there are some specs, with quite a large HDD drive :)

Ok I didn't see the press conference, but I did read this:

http://kotaku.com/the-xbox-is-not-always-online-but-seems-to-block-used-509077987

So...

Forced Kinect.

No used games.

Developers choice to implement always online.

Ok yeah, go fuck yourself with a rusty spike Microsoft.

OK a couple of things I am seeing here....

1. It is always on... Listening even while "off"

2. The "not kinect it looks different" has to be attached to work.

So you install a camera in your home that if there is juice going to it will be able to listen and watch you at any time.....

Even IF Micro$oft does the right thing and does not spy on people.... They can not even keep the Xbox awards from getting hacked or their high level executives from getting hacked on LIVE. Want to see some sickening stuff? Type Xbox security breach into google.....

Desert Punk:

Edit: also found this one for you

I'm willing to bet that's a touch-sensitive power button where the X is...just like the touch sensitive area on the PS4 controller. Anyway, it's just unnecessary speculation on my part, but I'll be lording it over anyone who challenges me if I turn out to be correct :P

The name Xbox One is kind of stupid though. How the hell am I to refer to my original Xbox which is still running strong? Would Microsoft prefer that we all forget their first black brick? I guess I'll retroactively name the original as 'Original Xbox'.

Regarding the new design, if it remains cool enough not to get a RRoD I'll be happy. I wonder if I'll be able to stack that along with my future PS4....

Canadish:
I have nothing all that enlightening to add to the conversation here by the looks of it, so I'll quickly mention one thing;

Sony's stock just went up 8%.

Can't believe it actually rose so much off the back of a competitors reveal! Knew I should of invested.

Genocidicles:

http://kotaku.com/the-xbox-is-not-always-online-but-seems-to-block-used-509077987

So...

Forced Kinect.

No used games.

That's your problem right there, you listen to Kotaku.

Daaaah Whoosh:
This Xbox looks like it's about twenty years older than its predecessor. Seriously, I can imagine this would have looked cool back when I was born, but now it just looks like a VCR with an old, unwieldly controller.

Also, Xbox 720 was a better name.

I don't remember VCR's being that shiny but I see what you mean. It's a box...and the Kinect is a box. I agree with the name too: 720 would have been better as would 8 or, Infinite. After watching the demo and getting in some supplemental reading about the console's capabilities I am 100% convinced that this is not the console for me.

arc1991:

Donzacuceron:

arc1991:

Obviously, if you look on page 2 there are some specs, with quite a large HDD drive :)

Well they need a large HDD, because you have to install all of the games and tie them to your account, afterwhich the disc is useless. Also, don't expect to be able to install preowned / borrowed games without an undetermined fee.

luvd1:

Froggy Slayer:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/407912/microsoft-confirms-pre-owned-fee-for-xbox-one/

Really? REALLY!?! They will charge you to play a second hand game? You can't even lend a friend a game in that case.

No.

"that owner would be given the option to pay a fee and install the game from the disc, which would then mean that the new account would also own the game and could play it without the disc."

Pay to download the game to the Xbox, you can still play it from the Hard Disk. WITHOUT installing.

Can people fucking read the article please.

HavoK 09:
and people were says

wiiU, is bad, sounds like a siren blah blah blah.

ps4, bland, uncreative...

now xbox one... ONE, all the other possiblitiies were better. 720, infinity...

Yea, even if they cant focus, Sony at least has a sequential numbering system. Boring as that may be at least the kids can tell their mom what they want for christmas without confusing the shit out of her.
Maybe we should be happy they finally settled on a number, 720, 8, that shit was getting annoying.
Seriously, someone should tell MS they aren't allowed to use numbers anymore. I don't think they know how it works.

JokerboyJordan:

Genocidicles:

So...

Forced Kinect.

No used games.

That's your problem right there, you listen to Kotaku.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/xbox-one-will-not-always-on-but-will-have-pre-owned-fee/0115911
There's your problem right there, you disregard things said by kotaku without fact checking. In any case, I wont be buying one of these after the news that came out today.

Why do they call it the Xbox One?

Because when you see it, you take one look and walk away!

tangoprime:

arc1991:

Donzacuceron:

Well they need a large HDD, because you have to install all of the games and tie them to your account, afterwhich the disc is useless. Also, don't expect to be able to install preowned / borrowed games without an undetermined fee.

You get given the option to pay a fee to install it, option being you don't have to, meaning you can probably play it from the hard disk.

Am i the only one who read articles?...-.-

luvd1:

Froggy Slayer:

If I am reading that right, it is only if you're installing the game on the hard drive so you don't have to play it from the disc. As far as I can tell from that article you can still play the game as long as the disc is in the console. I still think it's stupid, but it isn't as bad as I initially thought from your reactions.

Froggy Slayer:

Not that I buy a lot of used games, but that's just a dick move if true.

Okay, so that's for installing only? Logistically that should be interesting to say the least. I wonder if hard drive installs would significantly improve load times and performance with the next generation.

My conclusion is that the next Xbox is built for people with the attention span of a goldfish. Seriously, who games and watch a film and listen to music and go in the internet and skype at once?

When I game I GAME. If I want to watch a film I don't want to talk to my friends.

Who else found the people cheering jarring?

When I heard the name I thought REALLY? Is this guy trolling? The 3rd Xbox is called Xbox One..... Infinity/just Xbox would have been soo much better.

It should be called Xbox: Frat.

Jmp_man:
Bwahahahaha! Is THAT seriously the best they could come up with? Xbox ONE??? Seriously if I told anyone, ANYONE what the name of the next Xbox was I would get kicked in the face for lying.

I don't see what's so bad about it. Better than calling it 720 or whatever else the rumors were. The "One" bit actually makes sense in a way - they seem to be alluding to the fact that its one ecosystem. One console for all entertainment. One ring to rule them.. oh...

EDIT: Also, to people freaking out about installing the game and lending it out to people. They haven't yet said that you HAVE to install to play and that you couldn't just play from disc. Wait for more details first.

Midniqht:

Jmp_man:
Bwahahahaha! Is THAT seriously the best they could come up with? Xbox ONE??? Seriously if I told anyone, ANYONE what the name of the next Xbox was I would get kicked in the face for lying.

I don't see what's so bad about it. Better than calling it 720 or whatever else the rumors were. The "One" bit actually makes sense in a way - they seem to be alluding to the fact that its one ecosystem. One console for all entertainment. One ring to rule them.. oh...

That's what I'm assuming it's supposed to mean. A play on the phrase "all-in-one".

Xbox One? Oh MS, with your odd naming convention and Kinect focus, I think your just too cool for me.

still better than the Wii U, but don't know enough about it to pass judgment just yet lol

e.g. Achievements??

arc1991:

tangoprime:

arc1991:

You get given the option to pay a fee to install it, option being you don't have to, meaning you can probably play it from the hard disk.

Am i the only one who read articles?...-.-

Nope, read and more importantly comprehended along with additional information that came out today. Let me walk you through this:
1. All games are installed to the HD in order to play.
(http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/21/4352314/xbox-one-hard-drive-game-installs)
2. All games installed to harddrive are associated with an XBL account.
3. Attempting to install a game already associated with a different XBL account results in a fee. See 1.
Thus, you will not be able to play games that have already had a previous owner without paying a fee, since you need to install it in order to play it, and it will have already been associated with a different account.

Vanbael:
I think Microsoft forgot how to count.
Seriously not a name I expected, nor want now. And it looks like what everyone else is say, a friggin VCR from the 80's, and bad looking one at that to be honest.

YEP!

looks like a 10 year old vcr.

Terrible design, terrible name terrible controller,
and yes I've used those reverse-angle controllers before for rc's and they're horrible, the shape is all wrong
so, then I shall add this to the collection of things I wont be buying this generation.

*yawn* try harder Microsoft. Really.

Genocidicles:

So...

Forced Kinect.

No used games.

They created an obviously anti-consumer corporate friendly product, and now they're gonna try to advertize it as something that we should all buy. Like it's the ultimate entertainment system. Not to mention that the mandatory Kinect breaks every privacy law in Europe and beyond. Maybe even in the US, but that doesn't matter since the judiciary system over there is a joke and corporations can get away with anything.

Hey guys, we went from 360 to a cubic console with a square number :D

Yeah... I remember a time when game consoles were used to play games, not do everything that PCs can do, but not as well. Since when did navigating menus become so cumbersome? I don't want to talk to my console like a mad man, and I don't want to accidentally turn it on.

I also don't care about the TV or social media components, I have a cable box and a laptop for that. Also, even though this is shallow. I hate the look of it. Everything about this leads me to the conclusion that it'd be a better investment to buy a gaming rig. I certainly won't be buying this console, assuming everything that has been stated in terms of the console being anti-used games is true. It's like Microsoft wants to fail when the major game announcements were EA sports games that we already knew were coming out. Gee, I wonder if the next COD will be on the Xbox One (awful name), as well as the next 10. I honestly thought the name Xbox Infinity was pretty awesome, although naming it that would kind of put Microsoft in a corner, but it's a hell of a lot better than Xbox One (which is what I've been calling the original Xbox since the 360 came out).

Midniqht:

Jmp_man:

EDIT: Also, to people freaking out about installing the game and lending it out to people. They haven't yet said that you HAVE to install to play and that you couldn't just play from disc. Wait for more details first.

I like the name too. The technology seemed really slick- I love the idea of not having remotes and telling my Xbox what to do- but I certainly wont be an early adopter. I buy consoles to play games not organize my entire life.

while Sony nailed their reveal, MS was disappointing so much fluff and uninteresting stuff i barely made through an hour it took without turning it off.

Hatchet90:
Also, even though this is shallow. I hate the look of it.

shallow or not it's valid, if it doesn't look attractive why should you take notice.

I went into this really skeptical--I looked up a lot of different things on it--and it actually seems pretty good.
I appears like you'll be able to have picture-in-picture game and TV.
The Kinect is doing some amazing things--we'll have to see how it gets used though.
MS confirmed that it wouldn't be always on.
It looks OK.
The specs are good for a console.
It's supposedly going to automatically install games on the HD, which is nice.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here