The Baby Has A Name: Xbox One

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

XBox: make me a sandwich!

Xbox: format C: enter Y enter

Xbox: Up yours!

The next Jimquisition will be mostly swearing if he covers this.

Terramax:
Interesting that the controller for the Xbox One and PS4 are not planning on being too different from previous consoles.

The console itself doesn't look particularly amazing IMO. The console itself looks horrible IMO.

Why drastically change something that is pretty much perfect? I really couldn't have thought of anything to change on the 360 controller. Totally comfortable, totally works.

Hagi:
So...

Any word on whether or not it'll play games? I mean Skype's cool and all but...

You know...

Shouldn't there be some game-related information for a reveal of a games-console?

They showed Forza 5, that it looks like Microsoft bought some exclusivity rights to a few of the really popular EA Sports franchises, and they showed a good deal on Call of Duty: Ghosts also that Microsoft will have the rights to get all the new Call of Duty stuff first.

Finally, Microsoft said that within the first year of the system, they will be releasing 15 exclusive titles and that 8 of which will be new IPs.

Tank207:
And I thought "WiiU" was a bad name.

I wonder how many people are going to get confused by this and think it's a re-release of the original Xbox.

Only really stupid people, that if they make that mistake, they should leave the gaming community ever. Really, no sane person is going to think it is some re-release old Xbox.

RaNDM G:
Xbox One? What?

Have to hand it to Microsoft. They proved us wrong with a worse name than Infinity.

Come on people, this is the lamest excuse to be thought up to make fun of the name. Again, no sane person is going to think they are buying an original Xbox.

Mortis Nuncius:
Well, so far it's not the bane of all consoles, so it seems to be going well.

Yeah, it was a pretty nice reveal with a balanced look at pretty much everything that will be on the thing.

But of course, if you believe the parroted responses from several people on the forums here, you'd think that they believe this console is the Anti-Christ, because it doesn't have backwards compatibility, which some how automatically makes this now the worst ever time to be a console gamer.

People definitely are blowing things way out of proportions, considering that backwards compatibility never was and never should be a breaking point for deciding not to get a console because it doesn't have it. The only thing people should be buying new console for are the new games, which they did a fine job of giving a little preview of(not a lot so they have stuff left for E3), and the new features that actually matter, like the quick switching between all forms of entertainment, the game video capture for all things, the greatly improved Kinect, the snap screen feature so people can do multiple things on one screen.

Terramax:

Desert Punk:

Terramax:
Interesting that the controller for the Xbox One and PS4 are not planning on being too different from previous consoles.

Well, they have both hit on a really good comfortable controller. Like they say, if its not broken, dont fix it.

I am rather glad both are keeping to whats comfortable.

That's a good point. And yet, if feel as though it reiterates these consoles are more extentions to the PS3 and 360, than actual sequels somehow.

The PS3 had the same controller as the PS2, but it wasnt an extension of the PS2 was it?

Personally, I just hope it doesnt do its always online thing people have been reporting

Spudgun Man:
Eh?

I don't get it, Xbox One?

I admit its better than 720 but is that all they had? Sometimes the teams on The Apprentice are a worrying portrayal of real business people.

Claymored:
I find it interesting Microsoft named the new Xbox One, compared to say Sony who've named the PlayStation numerically with each generation. Their naming method this time around is kinda backwards because it's going from 360 to One. But I think it's cool and different.

Other than that, I like the One's sleek design.

Come on, it isn't that hard to grasp why they named it Xbox One.

They explained that from the get go, by saying that they are making it an "all in one" system. Along with gaming you will have all the rest of your electronic entertainment possibilities there as well, movies, tv, music, and the internet, and it will all work seamlessly as "one", hence the name Xbox One.

So far, all the digs I've seen people make at this new system are superficial and things that are not buy or pass points when buying a new system.

I admit that I was all ready to pass on Microsoft for this generation, because while I like my 360, it wasn't all that ground breaking amazing to get me to stay with them, but this reveal has me getting ready to save up to get one a few months after it comes out.

arc1991:
Wow, typical Escapist, judge something on the name, and not what it can do.

Did anyone see COD: Ghosts? OMFG! And this is coming from someone who has still has a bad taste after MW3.

It can obviously play games, they are just highlighting the fact it can do other things, what else can they say other than "it plays games better than the 360" -.- Face it, it's a multimedia entertainment system, you don't HAVE to watch anything if you don't want to, I'll probably download Netflix and leave it at that.

And at least they quelled the "Always Connected" Rumours, although going by nearly every response here, i doubt anyone was paying attention.

No it hasn't, MS has said they encourage the devs to force online. The console doesn't require online but they want the fames to.

WOPR:

Adon Cabre:
snip

snip

It won't be wise to go PC. With Nintendo's back against the wall and a next-gen war about to hit in the fall, we're going to have probably the most diverse and invigorating amount of content ever released for console launch.

It's all about Exclusives

Microsoft announced that eight new IP's will be coming out next year. I bet that half of them are XboxOne exclusives. The same is happening for Sony.

If we take a lesson from Red Dead Redemption, RockStar will never release Grand Theft Auto V for the PC. Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain also will not make the PC, unlike Metal Gear Rising: Reavengance which was produced by Platinum Games, not Konami.

Why do you think SONY will have 1 hour of extra content on Watchdogs? Because they supported those studios at Ubisoft more than did Microsoft. This is being practiced by both companies.

And PC gamers won't be able to rely on the absolute best of Indie titles, as the most talented of these developers will get courted off by the big two, like thatgamingcompany's alliance with SONY. The talent pool will be sucked up into titles devised solely for Microsoft, SONY or Nintendo. That's the way business works.

pictures have links

That's a... Oops no, the joke is already done, looks like a VHS player, and what's with the name? I get it, it has an "all-in-one" functionality, but I don't give a shit about "look at these features" if I'm looking at a videogame console. But it doesn't really matter thou, I've never cared about Xbox to begin with.

Sooooooo... Always online?

238U

If it's online only and blocks pre-ordered games, I don't give a shit what the name is, it won't be appearing on my shelf.

Yes, the name is dumb, but following "Xbox 360" it was always going to be. Dumb.

But here's a three-word deal-breaker for you: No backwards compatibility.

That "box" is called a computer and has been a computer for years

Still the name is kind of stupid and I hope it's forced motion sensor tech will recognize me giving it the finger

HavoK 09:
and people were says

wiiU, is bad, sounds like a siren blah blah blah.

ps4, bland, uncreative...

now xbox one... ONE, all the other possiblitiies were better. 720, infinity...

I never noticed Wii U sounds like a siren until now.

But yeah the Playstation 4 is the only name of the 3 that makes any sense.

Wii U is nonsense
Xbox One is just confusing and really really stupid.

Father Time:

HavoK 09:
and people were says

wiiU, is bad, sounds like a siren blah blah blah.

ps4, bland, uncreative...

now xbox one... ONE, all the other possiblitiies were better. 720, infinity...

I never noticed Wii U sounds like a siren until now.

And let's not forget the girl from Kung-Pow!

Ah, that joke never gets old.

So... Pre-paid fees, keeps bragging about "All in one" features which no one really gives a damn about, possible Online only.. Yeah, PS4 is definitely winning right now. This is a catastrophe. What the hell were you thinking Microsoft? Scratch that, were you thinking? Are all these companies in a great war on who can suck the hardest?

I have never been so happy to dump $2500 on a PC. NEVER.

Callate:
And in the opening minutes of the match, the score reads: XBox - 1, Playstation - 4.

(How the Wii managed to score a U, we'll be turning to the judges to explain after these messages.)

Bahahaha, seriously awesome call there mate. As for the Wii, U stands for Unqualified.

I remember the reason for them not naming their second console "Xbox 2," was to not risk sounding inferior to the PS3. I wonder how many people will overlook this console, assuming it to be weaker than its rival and predecessor.

WOPR:

Adon Cabre:
*snip*

Winner - Sony

You misspelled "PC". ;P

More seriously though it can't be just me seeing that everything is going downhill with this console generation. It feels less like a "which system is the best for your personal preference" and more "which company is the least douchey".

Seems like we have to pick between forced peripherals with horrible battery life and youtube claiming, worlds worst DRM on a wannabe PC that looks like a VCR and has full voice activation (which probably won't work but that's just speculation), and/or forced leaderboards/facebook integration/social networking, and a touch pad (oh boy, more peripherals that probably won't work).

And that's not really a choice I want to make because it feels like I'm getting screwed on all ends. So I'll just stick with my PC this generation probably.
(Then throw a world class hissy fit when KI3 finally gets announced/is debunked and looks like crap/doesn't exist...)

Actually they said that always online is not required, so the social stuff would also be optional. I defiantly won't be linking my fb with my PSN, they just have it as an option for those that are interested.

weirdguy:
nailed reveal = not actually showing console?

i guess our standards are a bit lower these days...

They've told us the system specs, it's features, that it DOESN'T require online etc, all they haven't done is show us how it looks which honestly doesn't matter. Compare that to the xbox which is as anti consumer as possible and Sony has done a great job.

"What if a single box could provide all your entertainment?"

You mean my fucking PC?
Seriously, microsoft, you did that like 10ish years ago, and they are a lot more convenient, and cheaper.

When I read speculation on what the next Xbox was going to be called, I could never stop thinking about this billboard in the 2011 movie Real Steel:

Of course, that movie is supposed to take place in the giant robot oversaturated future of 2020, so Microsoft still has seven years to get their act together and prove this wasn't just the result of their licensing department saying yes to an overreaching set designer. Now, I'll just be reminded of Ubuntu One whenever I hear about this console.

That does look rather like an old VHS player I have to admit.

Meh...

I'll stick with the PC and a PS4 once it becomes available for bargain bin price. I don't really see the need to play any exclusives for these consoles. Most of them that catch my fancy come to PC eventually or are exclusive to Sony.

Not to mention I just don't want Microsoft's multimedia device in my house. It has nothing to offer and quite honestly has more bad than good especially with it's focus on being a living room PC rather than a gaming console.

Desert Punk:

The PS3 had the same controller as the PS2, but it wasnt an extension of the PS2 was it?

The PS3 was a different console because of the other features i.e. video game downloading, shopping, and demos, real online play, PS Move, etc, and a serious graphical overhaul (seeing as most PS2 games looked worse than DC titles, let alone its other competitors).

The PS4 only seems like a marginally better looking gaming system, with the ability to share footage of your game with your friends.

Sonic Doctor:
Why drastically change something that is pretty much perfect? I really couldn't have thought of anything to change on the 360 controller. Totally comfortable, totally works.

The d-pad sucks, as do the shoulder buttons.

It's a pretty good controller, but FAR from perfect.

Can we tell this baby to sit in the corner, until Microsoft stops looking at the PS3 release notes?

Using 'special' technology which prevents them from hands-down winning the 'console wars', Microsoft have screwed themselves OUT of backwards compatibility. I get why the PS3 can't but this is Microsoft... surely they know that backwards compatibility would've been a winning idea... Unlike them blocking used games...

I am actually looking forward to my PS4 when it comes out around November, if the release date for Watch Dogs is any indication.

Edit: And, seriously, how hideous is that controller!?

When i heard Xbox One i though it meant the first Xbox, you know, the one that was jsut named "Xbox". this name wont work for marketing at all.
Voice commands. as much as i woudl like to talk to HAL, i dont wnat to attempt to give orders with my mouth full and thne have it reinterpret, or do stuff while im talking to a friend.

"What if a single box could provide all your entertainment?"
It already does. It is called a PC. you should have heard about it, after all you make the software for it.

weirdguy:

Arina Love:
while Sony nailed their reveal, MS was disappointing so much fluff and uninteresting stuff i barely made through an hour it took without turning it off.

nailed reveal = not actually showing console?

i guess our standards are a bit lower these days...

it's a black box with BD slot and USB in it, it doesn't matter how it looks like.

For the last console generation, infinite was a far better name.

Terramax:

Sonic Doctor:

The d-pad sucks, as do the shoulder buttons.

It's a pretty good controller, but FAR from perfect.

I don't know if I'd call it far from perfect, but I'm just being pedantic, because I totally agree with you about the godawful D-Pad and weird, clicky bumper-buttons. I'm in agreement with Sonic Doctor about everything else, though. I think the 360 controller was the perfect shape, weight, had the best face buttons, great analogue sticks and the triggers were exactly what they needed to be. I'm pleased to see that they seem to have fixed the d-pad at least.

Various other opinions;

I like the design of the console itself. Simple, minimalist, all flat surfaces, it's great. The comparisons to VCR/VHS players are obvious, but it's a rectangular black box, of course it looks like other rectangular boxes. It's just a particularly pleasant rectangular black box.

Name is dumb.

The promise of 15 exclusives in the first year is excellent, but how many of those are going to be Kinect-centric titles? Don't get my wrong, as one of the few people here who actually likes Kinect - my family and friends visit often and it's a great way to entertain a room full of gamers and non-gamers alike - I'll be interested in seeing a few Kinect games, but I don't want an onslaught of motion-control titles, I want core games.

They need to nip that used game fee thing in the bud, because all the mild approval I have for the title is immediately lost on this. I barely even buy used games, mostly 'cause I'm too impatient and so buy anything I want to play immediately, but it's the principle of the thing.

arc1991:

Baldr:
They been saying all day, this press conference was to show off the machine, the E3 Press Conference is to show off the games.

Can i hug you, seriously can i?

thank god someone payed attention other than myself.

They're trying to sell a console and it's being presented poorly.

It's like throwing a dinner party then inviting everyone to come back a week later for the second course followed my dessert. By all means do it, but everyone wants to see a degree of professionalism.

I won't buy one, i'm fine with my computer currently. Depending on the game releases I might change my mind in a year or two.

Adon Cabre:
It won't be wise to go PC. With Nintendo's back against the wall and a next-gen war about to hit in the fall, we're going to have probably the most diverse and invigorating amount of content ever released for console launch.

Microsoft announced that eight new IP's will be coming out next year. I bet that half of them are XboxOne exclusives. The same is happening for Sony.

If we take a lesson from Red Dead Redemption, RockStar will never release Grand Theft Auto V for the PC. Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain also will not make the PC, unlike Metal Gear Rising: Reavengance which was produced by Platinum Games, not Konami.

Why do you think SONY will have 1 hour of extra content on Watchdogs? Because they supported those studios at Ubisoft more than did Microsoft. This is being practiced by both companies.

And PC gamers won't be able to rely on the absolute best of Indie titles, as the most talented of these developers will get courted off by the big two, like thatgamingcompany's alliance with SONY. The talent pool will be sucked up into titles devised solely for Microsoft, SONY or Nintendo. That's the way business works.

pictures have links

I don't think the PC is going to be as bad off as you think it's going to be. It's going to have its own exclusives if just for games that need to have keyboard and mouse controls. Not only that but this generation we've seen Microsoft put plenty of their exclusives on Windows, because they own that too. Although I never expect Metal Gear Solid games to be released on PC (The vast majority are Playstation exclusives), you are being way too presumptuous about Grand Theft Auto V. As for Indie devs, even if they make every single success story into exclusives, we will still get plenty of new devs they never saw coming. The rising and stable success of Steam and the long term backward compatibility make PC a safe choice, even without out famous big name exclusives. You pick a new consul to early and you are left with something that could die out and stop making games. Take that form a Sega Saturn and Gamecube player.

It's not a bad name, albeit, it throws off the consistency with the naming convention (of which there hasn't been any with the Xbox brand). I think the reasoning behind calling it "One" is to illustrate the new Xbox's prime focus of being an all-in-one box for games, movies, social, etc. I love reading comments right after an announcement this big because it's always interesting to read the initial reaction vs. the reaction during launch. We'll get acquainted with the name over the next few months, the name itself will become so familiar no one (except the ones that troll) will pay much mind to it. You also have to take into consideration the sheer level of commitment Microsoft has to marketing for the Xbox; by the time the One comes out most people that have reservations will be on board.

I'm not a fanboy or anything like that, just stating how similar reactions have progressed in the past. Also, One does have significance as being the next step to 360, since you have to make a complete 360 degree turn to arrive back to the first degree (one).

I can't wait for the PlayStation 1.
Seriously though, the first thing I thought when I heard the name was that it's some kind of joke. I mean, it's the third xbox. Just... what are they thinking?

Also, I'm more likely to buy a new PS3 than a PS4 or xbox 3. That's right. xbox 3. It's not the first one, dumbasses. Also, no more capitalization for you microsoft!

Silly Hats:

arc1991:

Baldr:
They been saying all day, this press conference was to show off the machine, the E3 Press Conference is to show off the games.

Can i hug you, seriously can i?

thank god someone payed attention other than myself.

They're trying to sell a console and it's being presented poorly.

It's like throwing a dinner party then inviting everyone to come back a week later for the second course followed my dessert. By all means do it, but everyone wants to see a degree of professionalism.

I won't buy one, i'm fine with my computer currently. Depending on the game releases I might change my mind in a year or two.

Lol, that's pretty good. Though it's actually a bit more like they invited a bunch of guests to a dinner party, and showed them the new flatware, and how it can connect to the kitchen to tell them what you like, and show you what all your friends are eating for dinner, and how it's the only flatware they'll ever need in their dinning room, then served a bit of amuse bouche, and said to be sure to come to the other dinner party in a few weeks so they can sample the appetizers.

I still can't believe Sony stock did what it did yesterday, that was hilarious- at the start of the day it was completely flat, then immediately following the unveiling, it climbed 9.25% by close of day, while Microsoft remained flat with a few minor dips and recoveries.

Changing the controller wasn't necessary at all...they really could have just kept it as is, but noooo...they have to make money on controllers, too, never mind attempting to have a monopoly on the entertainment market by providing everything all at once.

drisky:

Adon Cabre:

pictures have links

I don't think the PC is going to be as bad off as you think it's going to be. It's going to have its own exclusives if just for games that need to have keyboard and mouse controls. Not only that but this generation we've seen Microsoft put plenty of their exclusives on Windows, because they own that too. Although I never expect Metal Gear Solid games to be released on PC (The vast majority are Playstation exclusives), you are being way too presumptuous about Grand Theft Auto V. As for Indie devs, even if they make every single success story into exclusives, we will still get plenty of new devs they never saw coming. The rising and stable success of Steam and the long term backward compatibility make PC a safe choice, even without out famous big name exclusives. You pick a new consul to early and you are left with something that could die out and stop making games. Take that form a Sega Saturn and Gamecube player.

Nonsense, my Playstation 2 is 11 years old and still chuggin'. There's also an inexhaustible quantity of them circling the world.

I don't understand what your saying about Microsoft, since Halo 3 & 4 never made it to Windows Live. Publishers don't want people buying PC games. I just can't justify not having the best; Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain, Grand Theft Auto V, Last of Us, The Last Guardian, Deep Down and several other juicy exclusives.

Adon Cabre:
Nonsense, my Playstation 2 is 11 years old and still chuggin'. There's also an inexhaustible quantity of them circling the world.

I don't understand what your saying about Microsoft, since Halo 3 & 4 never made it to Windows Live. Publishers don't want people buying PC games. I just can't justify not having the best; Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain, Grand Theft Auto V, Last of Us, The Last Guardian, Deep Down and several other juicy exclusives.

I never implied that we have to stop playing our consoles when we get new ones, but I still like backwards compatibility. My snes, genisis, sega saturn, N64, game boy advance, ds and psp are all broken. Systems break down over time and it takes money to replace them. From my quick look, a new ps2, one where you know the condition it is in, costs about 62 USD. Its an extra cost and although you say its an inexhaustible quantity of them, they will get rarer over time. If I can get digital downloads of old games it won't be as much of a problum anyway. Digital downloads prevent things like when Final Fantasty 7 was over $100 used on ebay. If x box and playstation get good digital markets with games form the past two generations, it would really help me personally to care more about the system.

The Microsoft cross platform thing I said, that was actually a poorly researched on my part. A while back I was thinking about how I didn't care about 360 exclusives. I was thinking about how the only games I liked on the 360 that weren't available on PS3 were Mass Effect and Bioshock, and PS3 got both of those eventually. At the end of the generation, the only game I would have missed, by never playing 360, that I liked, was Tales of Vesperia. However I just looked it up, and the only game that was really popular, and only on X box and PC was Gears of War. So I'll have to say I was wrong on that statement.

Finally, you say publishers don't want people playing PC games, but so many games this generation were on all three HD systems. This generation had very few 3rd party exclusives. Publishers wanted to put their games out on as many systems as possible. When PC's didn't get ports, it was because they thought it would be a poor investment, because PC gaming is a fringe market with high piracy, not because they don't want people buying PC games. The idea that publishers only want you to buy a game in particular forms is silly. They will be happy no matter what system you buy it on, so long as you buy it.

This response has been a lot more long winded then I had planned so sorry if it got ranty. But basically I've been gaming primarily on my computer the past 2 years and have been very satisfied with the results. You said buying a PC is unwise but I see it as stable and growing although small. This doesn't mean I think it's the only good choice however, I think the PS 4 is going to do just fine, likely being the most successful of the generation, but thats just a guess.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here