The Baby Has A Name: Xbox One

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Eh?

I don't get it, Xbox One?

I admit its better than 720 but is that all they had? Sometimes the teams on The Apprentice are a worrying portrayal of real business people.

So our lineup for the next 5ish years is (if I'm hearing this correctly) PS4, Xbox One, and WiiU... Are all the naming departments on strike at these giant electronics corporations or something?

No, Microcock, no. And also no Sony. All I would want from a console is to PLAY. GAMES. When the hell are we going to get a console that just plays games. All I want, is a simple uncomplicated box that does what it's meant to do, and do it well. None of this "social media" crap, no advertisements, just simple plug and play. At this rate I may as well dig out my Megadrive and play that for the entire next generation of consoles.

Grey Carter's taken to calling it the Xbone.

It's short enough, catchy enough, and with just enough relation to the real name that I think it'll stick. And if it does, I expect we'll see Microsoft renaming the console at E3

Any word on the whole "always online thing?" (sorry I don't want to read through 4 pages of comments).

Edit: Wierd name, at least we know what the next next Xbox will be called.

Colt47:
Oh sweet mercy, I just realized how similar this thing looks to the Phillips CDi. We are all doomed! It's come back to seek vengeance for all the videos out there making fun of its games!

Made me (literally) LOL!

The similarity is astounishing!

You've got my vote as the winner of the post!

That is all.

"What if a single box could provide all your entertainment?" I have one already, is called PC :P I want a console to play games darn it, not hundreds of apps I never going to use

And suddenly, the WiiU seems all the more attractive mainly because it's been advertised as a gaming console. :/

Seriously, I'm still unsure which one of the big three I hate the most right about now. PS4 had to be called PS4 because tradition and they skipped on the console but at least the reveal was kinda interesting. WiiU is... well, I love Nintendo but so far it's been all but cock ups so until Ninty fixes its fucked up account system and gives me some decent games and maybe starts sucking Valve's dick for some steam support while I'm dreaming, I'm not getting a WiiU (though I guess the exclusives will get me in another year or two just like it did for the Wii :/ ) and Microsoft... holy shit, that was the most boring reveal since... I dunno, it's the most boring thing I've ever seen and all the features I've heard of so far makes me want to rip my hair out.

Fuck you. Fuck all of you, I'm off to play some more Luigi's Mansion. Call me when you guys stopped sucking >:C

only sports fans will buy xboxone

Or did I miss something? EA Sports & FPS took up most of the gaming segment. And neither of these games are Microsoft Exclusives. Sony also did the same thing for Ubisoft (Watchdogs), but that was with a game that everyone has been talking about for months.

Having purchased Pure Sony products for all of my gaming life, I did enter the conference with an open mind, ready to embrace a new experience. Alas, the magic of Television/Internet integration wore off mere minutes after the show ended. I just don't watch enough television to care about these things. And there are too many other ways to enjoy a show.

Fee for Used Games

Looks like it's been confirmed by some big Microsoft boss that this is indeed true. Microsoft looks like it will be nickle/diming it's consumer base; and this in a time when SONY seems to be going the exact opposite route.

Winner - Sony

Terrible name, even worse coverage.

Adon Cabre:

only sports fans will buy xboxone

Or did I miss something? EA Sports & FPS took up most of the gaming segment. And neither of these games are Microsoft Exclusives. Sony also did the same thing for Ubisoft (Watchdogs), but that was with a game that everyone has been talking about for months.

Having purchased Pure Sony products for all of my gaming life, I did enter the conference with an open mind, ready to embrace a new experience. Alas, the magic of Television/Internet integration wore off mere minutes after the show ended. I just don't watch enough television to care about these things. And there are too many other ways to enjoy a show.

Fee for Used Games

Looks like it's been confirmed by some big Microsoft boss that this is indeed true. Microsoft looks like it will be nickle/diming it's consumer base; and this in a time when SONY seems to be going the exact opposite route.

Winner - Sony

The market reaction seems to confirm that so far:
https://www.google.com/search?q=sony+stock&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=

It was kind of funny when 2 hours later it was up 8%. It's now still climbing.

Hmm it looks a lot like a Wii/PS2 hybrid and even more like what two black PSXs glued together would look like...

I'm not particularly intrigued yet, although its beginning to like both Microsoft and Sony may have made pretty much the same consoles.

If it comes down to exclusives I think Sony will probably win as they had the only games that I felt like I missed out on this generation...

Wouldn't "XBox One" be the name for your first console, not your third.

It's official, Microsoft is worse at counting than Valve.

every thread or forum i read somewhere down the line CD-i is mentioned :P

This video pretty much sums up my feelings of the conference in a nutshell

Wow... Well if Microsoft (and possibly Sony) want to screw over the consumer over than I'll return to Nintendo for my console gaming.

Hithlain:

That is all.

I guess it is more like the Xbox DVR now,
the love child of that Toshiba and a CD-i.

Perhaps if we are going backwards I'll get one of my old consoles out of the loft and then at least it will be about games again.

arc1991:

luvd1:

Froggy Slayer:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/407912/microsoft-confirms-pre-owned-fee-for-xbox-one/

Welp, nice knowing you Microsoft. You crazy, crazy assholes.

Really? REALLY!?! They will charge you to play a second hand game? You can't even lend a friend a game in that case.

No.

"that owner would be given the option to pay a fee and install the game from the disc, which would then mean that the new account would also own the game and could play it without the disc."

Pay to download the game to the Xbox, you can still play it from the Hard Disk. WITHOUT installing.

Can people fucking read the article please.

A lot of games in this (and most likely the next) gen REQUIRE installation of their game before playing

It might still be the better console, but they've just shot themselves in the foot in this race with how utterly boring and lazy not only the name is, but also its design.

captacha: you have my stapler

Yes, let's see if this boring box can surprise us and set some shit on fire.

"Hello, I would like two xbox ones please."
"How many xbox's? One?"
"No, two."
"You mean the xbox360?"
"No, the xbox one."
"Ok, you only want one, but which model?"
"The xbox one!"

Well this hasn't convinced me I should be moving consoles to Microsoft at any rate... and I'm not really liking this idea that the Xbone is somehow always listening and watching. But I guess it's only fair to wait until E3 to see if they have a surprise to redeem themselves, and it is nice to know that it isn't 'always-on' (per se) as rumours thought.

Hithlain:

That is all.

^ This!
My first thought on seeing it was wondering if the top popped up for the VHS tapes...

Why does it remind me of an early DVD/VHS player or a Phillips Magnavox CDi?

AkatsukiLeader13:
Wow... Well if Microsoft (and possibly Sony) want to screw over the consumer over than I'll return to Nintendo for my console gaming.

Yes, Nintendo only screws over Let's Play video creators.

Gmans uncle:
So our lineup for the next 5ish years is (if I'm hearing this correctly) PS4, Xbox One, and WiiU... Are all the naming departments on strike at these giant electronics corporations or something?

PS4 is fine, and the only one there that actually sounds like a successor.

PS1
PS2
PS3
PS4

Wii
Wii U

Xbox
Xbox 360
Xbox One

The Playstation naming department still have basic maths skills.

No used games/rentals, fees everywhere, Kinect 2, no backwards compatibility. Yyyyyyeah, I'm out. Wouldn't buy this for more than 50$, and even then I would really consider it.

Timmey:
Not sure about the name, preferred the idea of infinite. Still more details required before I can pass judgement.

So did I. I'm not sure about the name; I don't love it, but I don't hate it. I don't think indifference is the type of thing you want for a new console though.

It looks like an 80's VCR, it really does.

Not that it's a problem, mind.. as I don't care what it looks like, only how it performs and what I can play on it. After all, I still game on a full-tower desktop -- fans whirring and everything.

They're way.. waaay too interested in "social media" stuff, we have cell phones and PC's for that. Also, Microsoft continues to disturb me with their creep towards "biometrics". Devices that use your body to activate and/or use technology. Voice activation, heartbeat sensor, full body head-to-toe visual confirmation -- all of which is connected to a device constantly accessing their first class network. What's next, fingerprint confirmation to turn it on? If you use Xbox Live, you have to drop down your credit card just to sign-on and play, with your residence listed, and full name. It registers with their servers .. every. single. month. Hey, why not integrate your Facebook, so they also have access to everything about you, all your interests, your entire family and all your friends.

No thank you, *tinfol hat off*

(Besides, I'd rather spend that sizable chunk of cash on a hardware upgrade for my PC or something, or a new projector..)

Everything about this console just looks like everything Microsoft could have possibly done wrong shoved behind a facade of fancy technology that no one actually wants.

And in the opening minutes of the match, the score reads: XBox - 1, Playstation - 4.

(How the Wii managed to score a U, we'll be turning to the judges to explain after these messages.)

Arina Love:
while Sony nailed their reveal, MS was disappointing so much fluff and uninteresting stuff i barely made through an hour it took without turning it off.

nailed reveal = not actually showing console?

i guess our standards are a bit lower these days...

Adon Cabre:
*snip*

Winner - Sony

You misspelled "PC". ;P

More seriously though it can't be just me seeing that everything is going downhill with this console generation. It feels less like a "which system is the best for your personal preference" and more "which company is the least douchey".

Seems like we have to pick between forced peripherals with horrible battery life and youtube claiming, worlds worst DRM on a wannabe PC that looks like a VCR and has full voice activation (which probably won't work but that's just speculation), and/or forced leaderboards/facebook integration/social networking, and a touch pad (oh boy, more peripherals that probably won't work).

And that's not really a choice I want to make because it feels like I'm getting screwed on all ends. So I'll just stick with my PC this generation probably.
(Then throw a world class hissy fit when KI3 finally gets announced/is debunked and looks like crap/doesn't exist...)

X-Box One...Nintendo Wii U...Come on Sony, let's see if you can make a console name for this generation even more ridiculous.

I find it interesting Microsoft named the new Xbox One, compared to say Sony who've named the PlayStation numerically with each generation. Their naming method this time around is kinda backwards because it's going from 360 to One. But I think it's cool and different.

Other than that, I like the One's sleek design.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here