Microsoft Officially Denies "Always On" For Xbox One

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

fucking retards man, pre owned fees? Go fuck yourself microsoft, just no, im done, thank you for making it clear i need to get a ps4 when the time comes.

So, will this optional always on require a Gold subscription?

Having to pay for the game, and then pay Microsoft to even play it (This is why they hope devs will use it for those that havent figured that out yet) isn't going to win them many friends.

Aggieknight:

Andy Chalk:
The "always online" requirement is a point of major contention, as gamers in well-serviced areas tend to applaud the idea while those stuck with narrower pipes see it as a portent of the end-times.

I'm sorry, what?

I've got 100M to my house and I hate this idea like the devil. What gamer thinks this is a good idea?

I know why EA and Ubi want it. Don't see what's in it for us.

Aye, figured I wasn't the only one who saw that little line as completely idiotic. What's his idea of "well-serviced"? Korea?

Practically every single person I know who lives in what I'd say is a decently-to-well serviced area absolutely hate the idea. It's stupid, plain and simple.

Looking at all the comments I had this crazy idea for the perfect next gen console! One that is not always online, has backwards compatibility, and lets you play used games, and is a big enough hardware upgrade to justify its existance. In other words; None of the current gen consoles.

Ive always been a console gamer, and I dont want to start a flame war but jeez its sounding like a good time to be a PC gamer for the next Gen.

I think that finding my Virtual Boy and hooking it up sounds more appealing than buying this shit. I'd have less headaches to deal with, too.

I'll happily skip this entire console generation without a single regret. Now, the handhelds on the other hand...

Solo-Wing:
Microsoft is Playing Russian Roulette by themselves with every chamber in the gun full. If they seriously push the online cloud features on Developers and it blocks offline gameplay to a severe degree, and with the No backwards combatibility, preowned fees, Stupid name, Horrible look, and butchered looking controller.... They will not succeed with the next genertion.

I will probably be buying a WiiU as my only Console for the next gen unless Sony actually makes themselves look good after this. Which should be really easy to do.

haha oh my god, what is your avatar from? that is the first time in a while i've laughed at a gif

OT:

looks like i'll be skipping this console generation entirely, MAYBE getting a ps4 for the last of us and a couple other exclusives (KH 3 and ff 13 versus i presume)

gmaverick019:

Solo-Wing:
Microsoft is Playing Russian Roulette by themselves with every chamber in the gun full. If they seriously push the online cloud features on Developers and it blocks offline gameplay to a severe degree, and with the No backwards combatibility, preowned fees, Stupid name, Horrible look, and butchered looking controller.... They will not succeed with the next genertion.

I will probably be buying a WiiU as my only Console for the next gen unless Sony actually makes themselves look good after this. Which should be really easy to do.

haha oh my god, what is your avatar from? that is the first time in a while i've laughed at a gif

I actually do not know where it is from. I just found it from the interwebs.

But here have the full Gif.

Solo-Wing:

gmaverick019:

Solo-Wing:

I actually do not know where it is from. I just found it from the interwebs.

But here have the full Gif.

that is hilarious/amazing, if ANYONE can tell me what anime that is, i'd be most appreciative

Midniqht:
Seems like some people still aren't reading. It's up to the developers. There's nothing there other than blind assumption at this point that says that MS will be forcing anyone to make a game with "always on" capability.
Keep in mind that Sony hasn't been too forthcoming with information at this point either, so lets hold off on flame wars, yeah?

I'll agree on the flame wars for now, but to counter your point, didn't something like this happen with "Achievements" when they came out?

I don't quite remember the details too clearly since it's been years since i saw this but from what i remember, MS said that they were completely optional for the Dev's to implement into their games at first, few years later they become mandatory in every game, and it's true, when was the last time you saw a game on the Xbox 360 that didn't have achievements after that transpired?

I know Achievements aren't exactly very concerning, like core features of a system and if it contains substance is completely subjective to an individuals personal interest but remember, they were once a feature that was just added in to give more incentive for players and now they're necessary for a game to even be considered for publishing.

Like i said I don't quite remember how it went very vividly but this is how i remember it, of course if you don't believe me that's fine with me.

but tell me this. When has a company ever been completely honest of it's business practices or relations?

There are a few games for which you have to be always-on, like MMOs. There are other games in which most players spend a significant amount of time online, like FPSs with strong multiplayer components.

For pretty much everything else, always-online is the 3DTV of the gaming world: they really, really want to sell it to us, and they really, really haven't made any kind of good case that signing on is about the advantage to us rather than to them.

Cover your kidneys, Microsoft. I think you're in for a kicking.

So.....anyone know if there is any issues with the PS4? If so I will just have to figure out what I am going to do about buying/build a good gaming pc....

Sony, you can't mess this up. I can't even think of anything witty anymore: Microsoft has done exactly everything the entire internet was asking them not to do, or the near equivalent of it. I so hope Gamestop stonewalls their entire product line into oblivion.

commasplice:
Fuck, the news about the used game nonsense was enough to give me second thoughts about this thing by itself.

I'm still tripping at the fact that most of the conference, specifically designed to show off a game console was spent not talking about games.

If anything, the One is a Media Center PC that happens to be able to play games for those who can't afford a "proper" (for lack of a better term) Media Center PC that happens to be able to play games.

So, it's not always online...

...except it is. Huzzah for "features", yay? Well, there goes any sliver of plans I had for buying it.

mirage202:
So, will this optional always on require a Gold subscription?

Having to pay for the game, and then pay Microsoft to even play it (This is why they hope devs will use it for those that havent figured that out yet) isn't going to win them many friends.

Good question.

Also, given that the Xbone already has what sounds like a pretty obnoxious form of DRM, there can't be any anti-piracy benefit to forcing them online, so your theory is seeming more plausible.

The "always online" requirement is a point of major contention, as gamers in well-serviced areas tend to applaud the idea

This is so false, I intend to make a suggestion to the scientific community at large that the very definition of of a false statement would just have this by it. This. Is. A. Lie. There is NO advantage to an always online requirement, none, zilch, zero, nada, NONE. Giving the OPTION to improve experience, if and only if the user wishes? Sure! Requirement for such things as single player? Utterly untrue.

Anyway, enjoy the huge dent you're going to make in your own market, Microsoft. Seriously, did you find some way to turn your PR department staff into money directly for short term gain? 'Cause you might want to let them do their jobs first.

Kotaku is reporting that a Microsoft VP stated that single-player games, while not requiring a constant internet connection, will have to log into the internet once every 24 hours (similar to SimCity logging in every 20 minutes).

http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-does-require-internet-connection-cant-play-o-509164109

Blindrooster:
Looking at all the comments I had this crazy idea for the perfect next gen console! One that is not always online, has backwards compatibility, and lets you play used games, and is a big enough hardware upgrade to justify its existance. In other words; None of the current gen consoles.

Ive always been a console gamer, and I dont want to start a flame war but jeez its sounding like a good time to be a PC gamer for the next Gen.

Umm...

ya... so... I'm pretty sure there was a console released not long ago that wasn't always online, was backwards compatible, let you play used games as always, and was considerably more powerful than the previous gen. Shit, what was it called again? Jeffers, get in here, I need you!

I think it's only real fault was how expensive it was, $299, who can afford that?

Nope, fuck you Microsoft, you can go suck a major donkey dick. DRM is the worst fucking idea any big money grubbing publisher has ever done and I hope it drives your company into the fucking ground. Piss off, I'm buying a muthafuckin' playstation 4.

PS Fuck you again.

I still don't get their line of thinking, could someone please explain it to me?

I live in one of the most densely populated cities in Scotland, I've got Virgin Broadband Unlimited or whatever, but my connection is choppy at best and liable to drop out at least once a day. There is absolutely nothing I can do to change it, it just happens; same with my phoneline.

Even before when I was with Sky, you were never guaranteed a constantly stable connection, so does this mean if I'm playing an always-on game and my internet dies the game goes with it? Will I just not be able to save?

The reason I mentioned the densely populated city part is because, when I read things about how there are still parts of America who struggle to get internet at all, never mind stable connections, and knowing there are remote islands round my own native UK which are only just getting cable laid so they can get on the internet, all I see a decision like always-on doing is erecting a barrier to trade.

In what way is it a business-savvy decision to force a change on consumers that will automatically lock out, maybe not a huge portion, but a percentage nonetheless of people who would otherwise buy their consoles and games without hesitation?

OlasDAlmighty:

Umm...

ya... so... I'm pretty sure there was a console released not long ago that wasn't always online, was backwards compatible, let you play used games as always, and was considerably more powerful than the previous gen. Shit, what was it called again? Jeffers, get in here, I need you!

I think it's only real fault was how expensive it was, $299, who can afford that?

Now if it only had some games worth playing, or, hell, any games at all, we'd be in business!

Lightknight:
Haha, it's so hostile. I wonder if they made a switch after our response to the creative director's tweet that told us to get over it (he had to step down from his position over that) or if it was never going to be always on.

I'm about 80% sure that actually happened. The sequence of events strongly suggest it. I wanted to believe that MS wasn't that stupid, then I remembered Windows 8, and now I'm hearing about used games being locked out. I'm pretty sure they were that stupid.

Well, damn. So they are looking to pass the blame onto developers, while actively encouraging it. I thought they would have a chance to make up for shortcomings of the previous gen here, but instead, it's just gotten worse. Here I was thinking they might lose the subscriber fees (not that big a deal, but still a consideration with the competition in PSN), and make a more stable console at launch, and offer more *optional* features.

Instead we have TV, social networking, cloud and Kinect features forced down our throat, and efforts to abolish the pre-owned market and sever a market who don't believe in always-on. Oops, I'm sorry it's not being forced down anyone's throat, because you have the option to *not* buy it. Which I won't be, you assholes. Only good thing about the 360 was the controller anyways.

CrazyCapnMorgan:
Soooo, in other words, Microsoft actually wants developers to make games akin to Diablo 3 and SimCity?

I can only imagine this going oh so well...

Think I'm going to pass on this entire console generation. Nothing thus far encourages me to use my money for this up and coming generation of games.

And I'm still hoping that Persona 4 Golden comes out on something other than the goddamned Vita.

The bigger problem is console networking has always been brutally laggy if you live outside the USA; SC2 and D3 barely scrape buy with international sales due to how shockingly bad it is.

It could quite easily kill a game if it were to release on console to someone who didn't understand why people were rubber banding all over the place.

Bad news everyone. The system does REQUIRES Internet connection. Can not play off line forever.
http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-does-require-internet-connection-cant-play-o-509164109

MICROSOFT: "Oh, we don't mean to hold our user's experience hostage with the DRM revolver...

...but we left it on the table in case they want to."
*pans over to the AAA publishers, cue dramatic thunderbolt and orchestra sting*

Yeah, you aren't fooling me Microsoft. You either keep the DRM off the table, or I ain't dealing.

I don't get it. What is this obsession with everything being online and social. Don't they know gamers are inherently anti-social. Or when I play a game, I don't need others to see me. What if my internet goes down (a common occurrence) my consule is my best bet.. UGH.. I am getting tired of streaming and electronics, especially when the infrastructure doesn't really support it yet.

Blindrooster:

*Cough Cough* Ehem, A Certain Japanese Console would like a word with you...

Xukog:
So.....anyone know if there is any issues with the PS4? If so I will just have to figure out what I am going to do about buying/build a good gaming pc....

PS4 allows game developers to have Always On and Block Used Games; the difference though, is that Sony is not actively wanting companies to do this, while Microsoft is. The only console that is not always on and does allow used games is the WiiU.

OT: I saw this coming, when Adam Orth made his infamous comments about always on. A lot of people thought he wasn't speaking for Microsoft, and some thought he was joking... They were all wrong... They were ALL WRONG! Most of us, however, thought he was serious, so that's a good thing. Now we can avoid this, thing, like the plague.

It may not be always online... But will I still have to pay for Xbox Live?

I love you guys. I really do. All these comments are just making me teary-eyed out of laughter. Microsoft too. I love them for making this hysterical comedy. "Its called Xbox One because its 359 steps back from 360". Had me on the floor... *sigh* My god, all this crashing and burning is just too entertaining not to track. Made my day...

kiri2tsubasa:
Bad news everyone. The system does REQUIRES Internet connection. Can not play off line forever.

So they lied as well? They couldn't even give the consumer the courtesy of honesty?

I suppose we should give it more time, Kotaku is about as integral as bathroom wall graffiti when it comes to journalism. But after all the leaks and rumors, I truly would not be surprised.

Microsoft needs to get their collective shit together and strike a homerun at E3 if they every hope to recover from today.

So there is nothing inherent in the hardware itself that makes it always online. However software packages and internet based services that Microsoft is providing for developers may cause degraded feature sets or even disabled operation of some parts, if the console is not connected to the internet... Sounds normal if you compare it to the PC...

Of course developers on the PC don't have to pay to have a big corporation to tell them what they can do.

Doclector:
I cannot imagine what compelled microsoft to drive their boat into an iceberg with such pure conviction and bull-headed passion. It's like they have a death wish.

Ever since Gates retired his company has been tilting increasingly into a nose dive. Just a bunch of parasitic suits that moved in to Bills old shell, simply being there because they wanna make money, not for any love of technology or software engineering like Bill Gates had.

Super Not Cosmo:
So let me get this straight here. No backwards compatibility? Eh annoying but not a deal breaker. Additional fees for used games? Ok, that's a big red flag but I will see how it plays out. Actively encouraging devs to go awlays online? Aaaaand that's strike three! At this point I would like to encourage Microsoft to take their consoles to a centralized area, pile them up, gather all the people who were in charge of making these horrible decisions in the same centralized area and then proceed to have said people actually shove one of these consoles up their ass, controller, cords and all. If they can live stream it all the better.

I approve of this idea.

OT wait so let me get this straight you expect me to buy a console thats AAA games are pretty much guarenteed always online, no backwards compatibility, and hurts the used sales market that even helps games become popular?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n5E7feJHw0

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or