New Star Wars Animated Series Airing in 2014

Pages 1 2 NEXT

New Star Wars Animated Series Airing in 2014

Star Wars Rebels will take place between Episodes III and IV and focus on the growth of the Empire and birth of the Rebellion.

You could perhaps forgive some for being a bit a skeptical about Star Wars: The Clone Wars when it first began. The bile of the prequel trilogy was still pretty fresh in the throats of fans at the time, and the film launching the series looked somewhat like Bantha pooh-doo. As the TV show it launched proceeded however, Star Wars fans began to notice something odd. Clone Wars was actually developing into a halfway decent show. Many began to consider it not just a worthy addition to the Star Wars universe, but one of the best uses of the brand in years.

Sadly, The Clone Wars was cancelled earlier this year, leaving television sadly bereft of serialized Star Wars goodness. Luckily, Disney will soon be bringing Star Wars back to the boob-tube with Star Wars Rebels, a new series taking place in the decades between Episode III and Episode IV of the movie series. The show will focus on the newly formed Empire's efforts to hunt down the last of the Jedi, as well as the birth of the Rebel Alliance. "I couldn't be more excited to explore new corners of the Star Wars universe," said Lucasflim president Kathleen Kennedy. "I think Star Wars Rebels will capture the look, feel and fun that both kids and their parents love about Star Wars."

To the series' credit, it has some talented people behind it. Its executive producers include Simon Kinberg (X-Men: First Class), Dave Filoni (Star Wars: The Clone Wars) and Greg Weisman (Young Justice, Spectacular Spider-Man, and freaking Gargoyles!). Considering the success of Clone Wars and the people backing the show, it's hard not to feel at least some hope Star Wars Rebels could wind up being a quality product. In the least it will be nice to see some Tie Fighters again.

Source: Star Wars

Who's going to be the jailbait this time?

Now watch as Disney sticks the show in a terrible time slot, becomes successful outside the target demographic, and cancels it because of "lack of interest".

pleasedon'tsayCGpleasedon'tsayCGpleasedon'tsayCG fuck it's CG.

Know what I absolutely loved? The first prequel-inspired star wars cartoon. That thing was absolutely fun and pretty to watch, then they canceled it after, what, a season? Now we have that Clone Wars... "thing", that, yes, was beginning to get to me, but was too overwhelmingly PG and goofy for me to get a real kick out of. I'm hoping this more adult theme will make it funner, I mean the Jedi DID all get hunted into extinction, so that'll set at least the scenario in a slightly dimmer light.

As usual, hoping for the best

Be interesting to see if any of the Clone War's characters pop up. Ahsoka, Ventress, Darth Maul all kind of finished without any real closure.

Wonder whether Yoda was just sitting around in the swamp all that time too lol

sid:
pleasedon'tsayCGpleasedon'tsayCGpleasedon'tsayCG fuck it's CG.

Know what I absolutely loved? The first prequel-inspired star wars cartoon. That thing was absolutely fun to watch, then they canceled it after, what, a season? Now we have that Clone Wars... "thing", that, yes, was beginning to get to me, but was too overwhelmingly PG and goofy for me to get a real kick out of. I'm hoping this more adult theme will make it funner, I mean the Jedi DID all get hunted into extinction, so that'll set at least the scenario in a slightly dimmer light.

As usual, hoping for the best

They claim they gave it three seasons by dividing season 1 in half and Season 2's five ten-or-so minute long episodes as a third season. Lucas even had the gall to say that series was a "pilot" for Fiolini's crap-until-forth-season CG-fest.

Supposedly they are making one final season for SW:TCW, which yeah, is really ironic considering they FINALLY were moving beyond ripping off other EU material, ripping off stereotypes/stereotypical situations, and stupid situations that made no sense (Landing at Pt. Rain, I am looking at you).

Strangely the Karen Travis novel (my mom grabbed it for me in a hurry one day when I needed something to read while we were visiting someone) based off of the movie avoids everything to do with Padme and that horrible homosexuality stereotype that is Jabba's "uncle" (the Hutts are unisexual for crying out loud); instead, Travis actually tried to add some grit. Ahsoka is far better fleshed out (if my memory doesn't fail me) and her race is given a great deal more personality than previously -- she even comments to Captain Rex about how they evolved from predators, and there's a little commentary on how that could impact her being a Jedi. Likewise Obi-wan sounds a bit more Episode 3-ish. It wasn't stellar but it's still a better story than the actual movie, which says something about SW:TCW's writers. I have to believe at least some of them were fired or had strangely sudden learning experiences in how to write scripts between seasons 1 to 4.

Eliwood10:
Now watch as Disney sticks the show in a terrible time slot, becomes successful outside the target demographic, and cancels it because of "lack of interest".

Why must you make me cry, thinking about how Tron: Uprising died. I loved that show. That finale was fucking fantastic... how could they screw it up. They even managed to make CLU imposing! DO YOU REALIZE HOW HARD THAT IS WITH HOW STUPID A NAME HE'S GOT? GAH! DISNEY!

Eliwood10:

This a thousand times this-how can I get excited about a new show when I'm constantly afraid of getting attached just for it to be ripped from me at an unsatisfactory time,I'm constantly holding back being like "I really want to love this show but if I do and it's cancelled after two season's it will all be for nought". Why couldn't you keep the the previous show it had a good fanbase and established character arcs T_T

Greg Weisman is doing it?

Fucking sold. I can't wait for it.

Greg Weisman? Oh, I am so in. Everything he's done is golden. But also has a bad habit of being cancelled before its time. So yeah, this show might not last long.

Starring Ahsoka jailbait Tano as she creates the Rebel Alliance all by herself, and totally not because Bail Organa, Garm Bel Iblis and Mon Mothma pooled together their dissident movements into an armed rebellion cell.

Aw no... I much prefer the clone wars setting to the rebels v. empire. Darn it.

Well, here's hoping the empire at least has some cool scenes of UNLIMITED POWER overwhelming firepower on dissidents.

ron1n:
Be interesting to see if any of the Clone War's characters pop up. Ahsoka, Ventress, Darth Maul all kind of finished without any real closure.

Wonder whether Yoda was just sitting around in the swamp all that time too lol

Darth Maul being chopped in half at the end of Episode I was closure.
Darth Maul being strapped to a robo-spider body, losing any and all of his interesting flair in lightsaber combat, and name-dropping the hell out of him with his "brother", was just fan pandering.

I would like to see what happened with Ventress and Ashoka though, specially Asaaj Ventress. Of all the characters, she might actually be the most interesting one to have popped up in the prequel series, who actually saw some meaningful development.

Eliwood10:

You mean like what Cartoon Network does pretty much?

knight steel:

Eliwood10:

This a thousand times this-how can I get excited about a new show when I'm constantly afraid of getting attached just for it to be ripped from me at an unsatisfactory time,I'm constantly holding back being like "I really want to love this show but if I do and it's cancelled after two season's it will all be for nought". Why couldn't you keep the the previous show it had a good fanbase and established character arcs T_T

To be fair, they can only go so far in the year-long period the show was set in, and if they had taken that as afar as possible, it would've ended with the brutal massacre of most of the cast. Best to give the series an end before that point, then pick up the (surviving) characters years later. I wouldn't be surprised if this functions as a Clone Wars sequel series, but we'll probably get Clone Wars people as supporting cast.

Drago-Morph:

knight steel:

To be fair, they can only go so far in the year-long period the show was set in, and if they had taken that as afar as possible, it would've ended with the brutal massacre of most of the cast. Best to give the series an end before that point, then pick up the (surviving) characters years later. I wouldn't be surprised if this functions as a Clone Wars sequel series, but we'll probably get Clone Wars people as supporting cast.

Well when you put it like that......that actual sounds reasonable and a good idea dammit why must you be so logical and here I was set to continue ranting >_<.
But as long they do it like how you have said with getting Clone Wars people as supporting cast and doing it as a sequal then I have no problem with this new series ^_^

Soviet Heavy:
Starring Ahsoka jailbait Tano as she creates the Rebel Alliance all by herself, and totally not because Bail Organa, Garm Bel Iblis and Mon Mothma pooled together their dissident movements into an armed rebellion cell.

That was the plot to Force Unleashed right? I only ask because I haven't played the game in awhile.

Sooooo, does this mean no Live-Action series?

erttheking:

Soviet Heavy:

That was the plot to Force Unleashed right? I only ask because I haven't played the game in awhile.

Sort of. The Force Unleashed takes place sometime after the first seeds of Rebellion were spread. Iblis was targeted by an Imperial Assassin, Mon Mothma had already jumped ship, and Bail Organa stayed on in the Senate to continue pulling other system's support towards the resistance movement. I believe that Force Unleashed deals with the Corellian Accord (or something like that), which was the official declaration of an organized Rebellion, and not just scattered separatist holdouts.

cursedseishi:

I would like to see what happened with Ventress and Ashoka though, specially Asaaj Ventress. Of all the characters, she might actually be the most interesting one to have popped up in the prequel series, who actually saw some meaningful development.

Read the comic book Star Wars: Obsession. Deals with Ventress's fate.

erttheking:

Soviet Heavy:

No, according to TFU, Starkiller uses the magical power of "I'm a fucking Jedi who can shoot space stations down with my mind!" to get them to all agree to work together. Then according to TFU2's novel, they all could barely manage to do anything until Starkiller magically showed up again, even though all he basically does is scream "MUST SAVE GIRLFRIEND!"

Bah!

Bring back Genndy Tartakovsky!!! He made Grevious badass as hell before the movie fucked him up.

Soviet Heavy:

erttheking:

Soviet Heavy:

Sort of. The Force Unleashed takes place sometime after the first seeds of Rebellion were spread. Iblis was targeted by an Imperial Assassin, Mon Mothma had already jumped ship, and Bail Organa stayed on in the Senate to continue pulling other system's support towards the resistance movement. I believe that Force Unleashed deals with the Corellian Accord (or something like that), which was the official declaration of an organized Rebellion, and not just scattered separatist holdouts.

Hopefully this new show will completely erase TFU from the timeline.

Whoa whoa whoa! They CANCELLED Clone Wars?! What the hell? But...but what about--gah! My mind can't even grasp this. The series was finally starting to do what it promised to do from the beginning: focus on Ahsoka. Those were the only episodes I really cared about because she was the only character who's fate wasn't already written in stone. And now they cancel it? What about the Madalorian civil war? And the Emperor now being in control of Darth Maul again? And that whole thing with Ahsoka quitting the Jedi?! I just...HOW!
This is like what they did with ending Young Justice. Massive change in the story in the final episode, and then, "Oops, sorry. No more. Screw you fans!" The rage I am feeling right...I have suddenly become very, VERY concerned about the fate of Star Wars if this is how Disney is going to treat it.
This new series better tie into the old one in some ways, or I'm going to be mighty pissed.

Soviet Heavy:

cursedseishi:

Read the comic book Star Wars: Obsession. Deals with Ventress's fate.

The problem with that is, at the rate Disney is going, not even the comics and books are going to be safe. Disney is apparently hell-bent on wiping out any Star Wars that doesn't fit into their world view. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm starting to wish Lucas was back in charge. At least he left the E.U. alone...most of the time.

(NOTE: It is completely possible that I'm overreacting because I just found out that one of the few shows I watched regularly has been cancelled and I'm just upset at everything.)

Related Content: The Story Sucks. Coincidence?

That aside, I never gave The Clone Wars a chance. I have better things to spend my time on than watching a godawful-starting show spawned from the single most overmilked franchise in human history and just pray that it gets better (which in my experience, tends to have the opposite happen), leaving me with this message for the upcoming show, the same message I'm regarding Man of Steel and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. with;

You better not suck or you're sunk.

Is it just me or has Star Wars EU been fixated on the time between III and IV for way too long now?

Parakeettheprawn:

Eliwood10:

Why must you make me cry, thinking about how Tron: Uprising died. I loved that show. That finale was fucking fantastic... how could they screw it up. They even managed to make CLU imposing! DO YOU REALIZE HOW HARD THAT IS WITH HOW STUPID A NAME HE'S GOT? GAH! DISNEY!

You're not alone there. That show was brilliant, hell, so brilliant that I would say that it is on par with Batman: The Animated series. Yes, that good. An ensemble cast, terrific character design, expressive animation, gorgeous music, and very strong writing all made it into the best damn thing Disney has aired in a long time. And what the hell did they do? They put it behind a paywall, in a timeslot that was inconvenient with its interested audience, and then it dies because Disney wasn't getting the views it wanted.

Maybe if they hadn't stuck to the old ways, based on the outdated Neilsen ratings system, they would actually be able to find success by changing with the times. How the hell do you think My Little Pony, one of the least likely and most surprising successes of the decade, got to be as popular as it is? Because the creators changed with the times. They didn't take down episodes posted on youtube. They didn't put the show in an inconvenient timeslot or behind a paywall. They embraced the unexpected fandom and used it to drive even more interest in the show. I don't even give a shit about that show, but I have to hand it to the people running things there for knowing their stuff. Because they knew what they were doing that show has risen to memetic levels of relevance and popularity, and others are taking notice and following that lead. It's too bad Disney is such a stick in the mud. They could've had a real hitter here.

Oh look, Disney's acquired another property and has canceled yet another perfectly good show just so they can make their own.

Yes, I'm still bitter about what happened to Spectacular Spider-Man.

This sounds remarkably similar to the live action show they were tossing around a year or so ago. Good that that too didn't die in a fire like some other Star Wars projects as a result of the Disney buyout.

Eliwood10:

Too bad it isn't owned by Cartoon Network, they'd NEVER do that.

They cancelled Tron and the Clone Wars so they could combine them? Is anyone else seeing this?

Grenge Di Origin:
Related Content: The Story Sucks. Coincidence?

That aside, I never gave The Clone Wars a chance.

You should've. Once it found its stride, it got REALLY good. Tron Uprising was pretty good from the word go and Disney, proving it doesn't know good shows from bad, sacked that too.

Eliwood10:

This line contains so much win my post cannot contain it X3

OT: We'll see. The Clone Wars isn't exactly going to be a tough act to follow, but "Disney" and "Cartoon" mashed together...oh dear O_O

Sir Shockwave:

Eliwood10:

This line contains so much win my post cannot contain it X3

OT: We'll see. The Clone Wars isn't exactly going to be a tough act to follow, but "Disney" and "Cartoon" mashed together...oh dear O_O

Greg Weisman is involved though... and is the executive producer if I'm not mistaken.

Honestly with Star Wars now its going to be interesting... I know I said before I wasn't interested anymore... but damn...

The big thing that I'm wondering is how this disparate group of guys is going to go about making this stuff now that its leaving the prequel era and moving into the era that we all love (and acknowledge). Hopefully that means less Jedi and Sith.

The above quote is referring to that new TRON show that was moved around then canned right? I don't know if they'll handle Star Wars the way they handled that. Star Wars comes with its own built in fanbase remember, and its pretty much the one thing to transcend Sci Fi into popular culture. (Star Trek did it too yes, but it doesn't compare to Star Wars)

There are going to be a ton of projects related to Star Wars in the next few years.. some of them have to be good, right? Right? Eh don't answer that -_-

Sir Shockwave:
"Disney" and "Cartoon" mashed together...oh dear O_O

What are:

Gravity Falls
Tron: Uprising
Motorcity

They are the only company that can make good western cartoons anymore, albeit short lived. That being said I cannot stand Star Wars so I have no interest.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here