EA Exec Says It Actually Will Develop Future Wii U Games

EA Exec Says It Actually Will Develop Future Wii U Games

Electronic Arts 350px

EA's chief financial officer says the company is making Wii U games, but is focused on the Xbox and PlayStation brands.

Last week Electronic Arts spokesperson Jeff Brown, speaking to Kotaku, told the gaming world that the publisher had "no games in development for the Wii U." Given the Wii U's much lower than expected sales and the emerging reluctance of some developers to work on the platform, this news felt to many like a nail in the coffin of Nintendo's struggling console.

Now, it would seem that Brown may have overstated, as other EA employees have confirmed that the publisher is indeed working on games for the Wii U. Speaking at the Stifel Nicolaus 2013 Internet, Media and Communications Conference, EA's chief financial officer Blake Jorgensen offered some clarification to temper Brown's statement. "We are building titles for the Nintendo console, but not anywhere near as many as we are for PS or Xbox."

While perhaps not as positive a backtrack as Nintendo might have preferred, it's still likely a welcome reversal. Nonetheless, there are still substantial questions regarding what exactly EA will be making for the console. DICE's Frostbite 3 engine, which will likely serve as the foundation of many future EA games, doesn't run well on the Wii U. This on its own could serve as a substantial barrier to EA games making it to the console.

Similarly, while Jorgenstern has debunked any thoughts that EA might be backing away from the Wii U completely, he still acknowledged that next-gen machines like the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One are the publisher's priority. This doesn't suggest too much confidence in Nintendo's console. Not that EA is without reasons to doubt the Wii U. The publisher recently announced that sales of the Wii U version of FIFA 13 were so poor, it wouldn't be bringing FIFA 14 to the console. Similarly, EA confirmed earlier this month that Madden 25 would be skipping the Wii U. In short, EA may not have abandoned the Wii U, but it's certainly moved past the "unprecedented partnership" with Nintendo that it promised two years ago.

Source: Polygon

Well that should make-up for losses on the xbox-one.

I guess we will get to see more star wars branded shovel-ware on the Wii U while real titles using EA's frost bite engine will go the real consoles[1]

[1] Lol, jeffers flame bait

Look at that back-peddling. Console makers just did not even try this time. We'll see what Sony has to offer. Worst case scenario, this will be the facebook gen and we can all laugh it off.

Way to backtrack on the more successful game company (IE not losing as much as Sony or Microsoft), maybe they'll stop with the shovel ware but i doubt it because in my experience Nintendo is more customer friendly.

Considering that they said "We are not CURRENTLY making games for the WiiU", why is his seen as back-tracking or something?

CrossLOPER:
Look at that back-peddling. Console makers just did not even try this time. We'll see what Sony has to offer. Worst case scenario, this will be the facebook gen and we can all laugh it off.

It's the CFO that said this. The CFO. The one that secures funding for projects from creditors and investors; the one that gets EA to borrow money at 5% to invest into its latest game.

Take it with a heaping of salt.

If course they have. Of course they will.

They can no longer have an XBOX market, so of course they're going to need to turn to the Wii U and PlayStation 4.

I'd be look at the Wii U, as well, if I knew the XBOX was no longer a way to make money. Though, since they're EA, here's hoping they can't make money on any system. I'd like to see that.

Now, which meme would best describe my reaction to everything EA said in this article?

I got it...

"We were just paid to lead you on in that regard while the announcements for the Xbox one were going on, Had ya going didn't we? We want ALL our shovelware on every friggin machine as usual."

Dammit you tosspots now every console is on even footing again, I can't decide which one I detest the least and my parents always expect me to 'make the call for them'.

Personally, sticking with PC, but think of my family. My familyyyy.

Screw 'em.

You already burned your bridges, EA. Just because you got burned when everyone saw how bad the Xbox One is and realized that maybe you couldn't do this generation on just XBO and PS4 doesn't mean you can come crawling back to the good guys after how you acted. You lost your chance eight months ago after your bitch-fit over the Origin deal. Piss off.

Go and stick with your "next-gen" systems. You seemed so confident about them a day ago.

Oh COME ON! What's with EA backtracking literally everything they say, I don't give a flyng f*ck about them, but seeing almost everyday a new "EA says they'll actually do that one thing they say they wouldn't" is getting pretty damn annoying.

They're probably talking about their casual games lineup from popcap which is likely coming to every platform with a screen. It wouldn't surprise me if that's all they believe the Wii U is capable of.

Wasn't EA contractually obligated to make Star Wars games for every console anyway? It could have been part of the deal they made with Disney. I'm not expecting EA to make anything other than watered down variations of XBone and PS4 Star Wars games but it's better than nothing.

kiri2tsubasa:
Considering that they said "We are not CURRENTLY making games for the WiiU", why is his seen as back-tracking or something?

Because the statements were made within a week of each other, for starters.

It's rather unlikely that they just suddenly started making several Wii U games in the last few days.

This is blatant back-pedaling after the Xbox One's reveal went poorly and all the bad rumors about the console ended up being true....all culminating in a drop in Microsoft's stock values. EA is trying to distance itself from that as quickly as possible, because now its big plan has been revealed and they can smell their own blood in the water. They dropped online passes because Microsoft's console will allow them to charge people for used games and push the Always-On agenda with much less work involved on their part.

Jeez, EA, back-pedal any harder and you might travel back in time. Fix the Sim City debacle while you're at it.

We all know that this console generation is won by the 3DS anyway so no one cares about your excuses anyway.

Uhh huh....Funny that they say this after the whole load of bad press for the new Xbox.

TJC:
Jeez, EA, back-pedal any harder and you might travel back in time. Fix the Sim City debacle while you're at it.

We all know that this console generation is won by the 3DS anyway so no one cares about your excuses anyway.

The DS in general kicked this console generations ass.

OT:

They said they weren't currently developing right now any games for the Wii U, so they're not backpeddling, they're more or less just saying, "we're not making games now, but we'll make them later". So I don't see any hypocrisy over here.

PoolCleaningRobot:
I guess we will get to see more star wars branded shovel-ware on the Wii U while real titles using EA's frost bite engine will go the real consoles

Right now, one of those 'real consoles' is a DVR box. A goddamn DVR box. Think about that for a second...

OT: As I said in the other thread, I reckon this'll be the Star Wars games. I doubt this statement came out specifically because of the disastrous XBone reveal (when was this conference? Did it start after the reveal had already happened?), and more because Disney took them behind the curtain and reminded them they're contracted to make Star Wars games for all platforms. Hopefully with a few slaps in there.

I'm guessing we'll also end up seeing just how much bullshit those Frostbite 3 rumours were. If all of EA's games are now running on Frostbite 3, and they're making games for Wii U, then that kinda implies that they're going to get Frostbite 3 running on Wii U.

I just wonder if its too late already. They already burned their bridges with ever Wii U owner. Are Wii U owners going to want to buy games from a company that's treated them like such crap? Especially if their new games are still crappy ports?

StewShearer:
Not that EA is without reasons to doubt the Wii U. The publisher recently announced that sales of the Wii U version of FIFA 13 were so poor, it wouldn't be bringing FIFA 14 to the console.

More like Wii U owners aren't without reasons to doubt EA.Lets take a look at their track record so far

- Released a stripped down version of Fifa 13 that is missing many features from the PS3/360 version and was critically panned for being just a reskinned Fifa 12.Charge the same price as the superior PS3/360 version

- Release a port of Mass Effect 3 8 months after the PS3/360 version launched.Charge full price.At the same time and for the same price release the entire Mass Effect Trilogy on PS3

- Release a port of Need for Speed:Most Wanted 5 months after the other versions.Charge full price

Is it any wonder Wii U owners aren't buying EA games when all they've received so far are shitty,overpriced,late ports

CriticKitten:

kiri2tsubasa:

Because the statements were made within a week of each other, for starters.

It's rather unlikely that they just suddenly started making several Wii U games in the last few days.

This is blatant back-pedaling after the Xbox One's reveal went poorly and all the bad rumors about the console ended up being true....all culminating in a drop in Microsoft's stock values. EA is trying to distance itself from that as quickly as possible, because now its big plan has been revealed and they can smell their own blood in the water. They dropped online passes because Microsoft's console will allow them to charge people for used games and push the Always-On agenda with much less work involved on their part.

Thanks for making my obnoxious statement clearer :)

CriticKitten:
EA is trying to distance itself from that as quickly as possible, because now its big plan has been revealed and they can smell their own blood in the water. They dropped online passes because Microsoft's console will allow them to charge people for used games and push the Always-On agenda with much less work involved on their part.

For all we know that was a hell of a coincidence that Microsoft is doing that with used games. Honestly, is there any proof that EA was aware of what Microsoft was doing? Unless there is evidence to so that I going to accept this as a coincidence.

MetalDooley:

StewShearer:
Not that EA is without reasons to doubt the Wii U. The publisher recently announced that sales of the Wii U version of FIFA 13 were so poor, it wouldn't be bringing FIFA 14 to the console.

More like Wii U owners aren't without reasons to doubt EA.Lets take a look at their track record so far

- Released a stripped down version of Fifa 13 that is missing many features from the PS3/360 version and was critically panned for being just a reskinned Fifa 12.Charge the same price as the superior PS3/360 version

- Release a port of Mass Effect 3 8 months after the PS3/360 version launched.Charge full price.At the same time and for the same price release the entire Mass Effect Trilogy on PS3

- Release a port of Need for Speed:Most Wanted 5 months after the other versions.Charge full price

Is it any wonder Wii U owners aren't buying EA games when all they've received so far are shitty,overpriced,late ports

You are aware that EA isn't the only company that released ports for older games at full price right?

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

OT: As I said in the other thread, I reckon this'll be the Star Wars games. I doubt this statement came out specifically because of the disastrous XBone reveal (when was this conference? Did it start after the reveal had already happened?), and more because Disney took them behind the curtain and reminded them they're contracted to make Star Wars games for all platforms. Hopefully with a few slaps in there.

I'm guessing we'll also end up seeing just how much bullshit those Frostbite 3 rumours were. If all of EA's games are now running on Frostbite 3, and they're making games for Wii U, then that kinda implies that they're going to get Frostbite 3 running on Wii U.

I just wonder if its too late already. They already burned their bridges with ever Wii U owner. Are Wii U owners going to want to buy games from a company that's treated them like such crap? Especially if their new games are still crappy ports?

Most likely, though I get the feeling that Wii U owners might be getting sloppy ports of those titles.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

PoolCleaningRobot:
I guess we will get to see more star wars branded shovel-ware on the Wii U while real titles using EA's frost bite engine will go the real consoles

Right now, one of those 'real consoles' is a DVR box. A goddamn DVR box. Think about that for a second...

Did you not see the [1] and the "Lol jeffers flamebait" citation label?

And I'm still not getting them. All that's changed is the fact that games made by EA are now on the system I own. That doesn't change the fact that these are games made by EA.

kiri2tsubasa:

CriticKitten:
EA is trying to distance itself from that as quickly as possible, because now its big plan has been revealed and they can smell their own blood in the water. They dropped online passes because Microsoft's console will allow them to charge people for used games and push the Always-On agenda with much less work involved on their part.

For all we know that was a hell of a coincidence that Microsoft is doing that with used games. Honestly, is there any proof that EA was aware of what Microsoft was doing? Unless there is evidence to so that I going to accept this as a coincidence.

MetalDooley:

StewShearer:

You are aware that EA isn't the only company that released ports for older games at full price right?

To be fair that's a very poor excuse. Just because EA isn't the only one being greedy doesn't mean we give them a free pass for being greedy.

GAunderrated:

kiri2tsubasa:

To be fair that's a very poor excuse. Just because EA isn't the only one being greedy doesn't mean we give them a free pass for being greedy.

I'm not suggesting that. I'm saying that they are not the only ones to do so. To act as if EA is the only ones to do so is fairly childish.

kiri2tsubasa:

CriticKitten:

If Microsoft is deciding to stomp down on used games, it'll be at the behest of publishers. Publishers like EA are the ones who feel they 'lose out' from second hand games (even though it's total bollocks). It's the publishers who instigated stuff like Project $10, Online Passes, and always-online DRM.

Microsoft have already said they're working behind the scenes to try and 'encourage' developers to go down an online-only path. They'll have been communicating with the likes of EA about the XBone for well over a year now. I find it incredibly unlikely that at no point Microsoft made EA aware of their built-in DRM scheme. Especially when, as I said, past experience seems to suggest that it's the same companies like EA pushing for DRM in the first place.

True, but other publishers have at least put out exclusives and on-time multiplat releases as well. Ubisoft released Zombie U as an exclusive, and have got all their multiplatform titles Wii U bound this year. Activision put out BLOPS II and The Walking Dead (terrible game though it is) for Wii U along with everything else. Telltale Games made Lego City Undercover exclusive. Warner Bros put out Injustice the same time on Wii U as other platforms.

EA is the only publisher that has refused to release games for the Wii U the same time as on other consoles, and keeps pushing out bad ports (Most Wanted U excluded) long after the initial release. Other publishers at least made an effort, if half-hearted. EA couldn't even be qualified as having done the bare minimum.

kiri2tsubasa:

GAunderrated:

kiri2tsubasa:

I'm not suggesting that. I'm saying that they are not the only ones to do so. To act as if EA is the only ones to do so is fairly childish.

I didn't see anyone say that EA was the only one to do this but they probably only mentioned EA because this article is about EA and bringing up someone else kinda dilute the point.

Again EA isn't the only one doing these bad greedy moves, but they are still doing it and should get bashed for doing so.

Call me crazy, but I'm starting to doubt EA's integrity.

kiri2tsubasa:

You're asking for evidence of something that isn't 100% provable shy of illegally hacking EA's database and pulling their memos? When it's patently obvious that these two things occurring within days of each other is no coincidence?

Deer live in the woods. And I occasionally find poop on my shoes when I go hiking in the woods. But unless I witness a deer pooping, I'm to presume that deer never poop?

Honestly, this is what EA does for a living. It eats, breathes, and works each and every day looking for new ways to monetize their existing properties. Deer will poop, it's what they do.

So we're just meant to pretend that it's coincidence that the huge partnership between Microsoft and EA announced during the recent conference....that a console which charges people a fee if they try to install a game onto more than one device, and the company which is most outspoken about its hatred of the used games market....that they joined forces for any reason other than that same monetization which EA has been effectively pushing for years with its online pass system (which is now obsolete thanks to the Xbox One's fee-based model)?

You're right. That's one hell of a coincidence.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here