Xbox One Keeps Indie Self-Publishing Off-Limits

Pages PREV 1 2

Johnson McGee:
The biggest indie developers pan Win 8 because of it's restrictions on self-publishing and limiting of software to windows store. Win 8 sales lackluster at best. Response? Institute even worse policy on the new Xbox.

Mcoffey:
Well the Indies wont miss them. And neither will I, if the other shit I've heard about the Xbone is true.

Let it be so that forever shall the new Xbox be known as the Xbone.

Microsofts say on the PC is utterly irrelevant though aside from the OS market. Indies can still self publish on PC just fine without going through Microsofts store. Some go through platforms like Steam ect while some like game dev tycoon and Minecraft sell the game on their own website and you just download the installer and away you go.

As much as Microsoft wants to it can't restrict indies or anyone else on the PC because of the open nature of the platform,you can install whatever the hell you like and they can't do a thing about it.

And one day someone will make a PC OS that will replace Windows , maybe it will be sooner rather than later if they keep making mistakes like not making a tablet OS for PCs.

I'm actually starting to find all this idiocy humorous. I mean, is Microsoft trying to run the biggest joke in the history of gaming, and we'll all realize it isn't that bad once E3 comes? Or are they really so disconnected from gaming audiences that they actually think they are saying things we want to hear?

Moosejaw:
The news just keeps getting worse. I'm still getting the new console anyway because the PS4's share button business doesn't do all that much more to impress me, the only way I'm giving up on Microsoft is if they charge an obscene amount of money for the console, but I can see why everyone else is mad.

I really don't know what they're thinking, I can only hope the rage causes them to change their minds or there's enough clarifications at E3 to alleviate the worst of it.

Lets get this right:
- The Xbone requires you to go online every 24hrs to play games - The PS4 has no online requirement
- The Xbone locks games to your account thus killing off used games - The PS4 has no such system in place and wont support it
- The Xbone has the Kinnect always on and is required for the system to run and monitor you 24/7 - The PS4 has no such system.

And you will pick the XBone over the PS4 because of a share button which is an optional feature that wont effect your ability to play games, the whole point of a console, unlike the new 'features' of the XBone. I think your priorities are alittle miscalibrated mate....

Dr.Awkward:
You know what?

I wonder how long it will take until a bunch of devs are tired of dealing with what the Big Three have provided as their next-gen console, come together, and actually fund and create the kind of console they really want to see. I mean, at this point, why hasn't such an attempt been made? Developers definitely want a console to work with, but at this point there's nothing that's got their real interest...

it has. Its called Ouya.

Baldr:
As an indie developer that has a publishing history with Microsoft. I sorta ok with this. 90% of the games on the 360 indie/arcade marketplace didn't make money for either Microsoft or their creators. The only redeeming factor is you could go around and tell people you release a game on a console. If your an indie studio and you create good games, you should already have a Microsoft Evangelist contact. If you got a good game you want to put on Xbox One, let them know and they will come to you.

the problem here is not making money, the problem is restrictions micorosft put on those contracts. for example you cant give free-of-charge expansions to your users.

ViciousTide:
Not even flinching from the xbox 360, ever. If forced to move, i'll just skip over to Windows XP, and download the new games.

Wont work. Many new games dont support directx9 anymore, and winXP dont support 10/11 (there is a trick to make a game think it does, but thats only a hack to trick the system, not a real ability to use it, and if game uses the new features that directx has it wont run. basically XP for gaming is no longer an option. Win7 while i likel ess thna XP is still quite ok when you get used to it.

Zipa:

Microsofts say on the PC is utterly irrelevant though aside from the OS market. Indies can still self publish on PC just fine without going through Microsofts store. Some go through platforms like Steam ect while some like game dev tycoon and Minecraft sell the game on their own website and you just download the installer and away you go.

As much as Microsoft wants to it can't restrict indies or anyone else on the PC because of the open nature of the platform,you can install whatever the hell you like and they can't do a thing about it.

And one day someone will make a PC OS that will replace Windows , maybe it will be sooner rather than later if they keep making mistakes like not making a tablet OS for PCs.

Not for long. Win 8 has a application checked, that if used can allow only certain programs to even exist on your PC. while currently we are given the option to set it the way we want, it is extremely easy for MS to run a "autoamted update" and make sure win8 simply wont run gameX. they so far wont do it while win8 is still a minority. but remmeber what otrage there was when VIsta came out, bigger than wi8 makes now, and yet majority now use win 7. in time they WILL control what games you can play on PC.
Also there are other OS for PC. in fact, over 300 versions of them. neither are up to par with exception of some specific (non-gaming) tasks. They are good to run servers though.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I think Microsoft is looking for an excuse to get out of the games business.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here