"I Really Want To Play Iron Man," Says Jackie Chan

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

"I Really Want To Play Iron Man," Says Jackie Chan

Jackie Chan

If there's any one element lacking from Robert Downey Jr.'s performance in the Iron Man film franchise, it's definitely kung fu.

Straight up, Jackie Chan is a living legend. If you've seen any of his films, you're well aware of how agile, athletic and fearless Chan is, but simply punching thugs in elaborately choreographed fashion just isn't enough for the action star anymore. These days he wants to get into the superhero business.

"I really want to play Iron Man but I don't think the audiences want to see me as Iron Man" Chan told IGN. "Anyway, nobody pays me big money to make this kind of movie. I love Iron Man and this kind of movie, but no one hires me. Fools!"

Wait a tick, didn't Jackie Chan retire from making action movies a few years back? If I recall correctly, at one point he claimed that the film Chinese Zodiac would be his last action star role. Wouldn't that conflict with his Iron Man aspirations? Yes, and no. According to Chan, he was misinterpreted. "I didn't say I retired, what I said when I was making Chinese Zodiac was that it would be my last big action movie and obviously that turned out not to be true," he says.

While Chan obviously has affection for the character, that's not the only reason he'd like to be cast in a big-budget Marvel Studios superhero flick. According to Chan, it's also an effort to take on roles that are more suited to a man of his age. "No one wants to pay me the big money to play in sci-fi movies," Chan states. "Everyone wants to see me do action. But I have to tell my audience, sometimes I might use a stunt double now, you might see some green screen, forgive me because I'm not young anymore."

Given that Chan is pushing 60, that seems pretty reasonable. Even at that age he could likely punch you six times, then kick you into a conveniently-placed dumpster before you even knew what happened, but at some point Chan will have to stop performing his legendary stunt work. Relying on the kinds of CGI technology employed by Marvel's films seems like a great way to maintain his star power while preventing his elderly bones from bursting into clouds of dust.

Of course, the obvious, most important question is, "Would you want to see Jackie Chan as Iron Man?"

Source: IGN

I'd sooner see him as Iron Man than Nic Cage as Superman. A lot of actors have aspirations that will never come true.

Jackie! YOU'LL GET NOTHING AND LIKE IT!

I dunno about Iron Man, but Jackie Chan as the Mandarin would be kinda awesome.

Jackie, I'm sorry, but you can't pull off Iron Man. You just can't.

You're a good action flick guy, and you're good with kung-fu-esque movies. But that's your niche. Stick to it.

Iron Man? No. Another Marvel Superhero? Definitely.

I'm sure there are plenty of roles he'd be great for in the series, but I don't really think he's got Mojo to be Stark. The reason everyone accepted Ruffalo so readily is because he played Banner better than Norton did. Chan's not going to out-Tony Downey Jr.

That said, I really would love to see him as a part of the franchise. I just don't know enough about the Marvel Roster to guess where he could fit in well.

Of course, the obvious, most important question is, "Would you want to see Jackie Chan as Iron Man?"

as if thats really a question.

I think it would be intresting to see jackie chan in an iron man suit. I dont know how youd explain the continuity (or fit jackie to the character especially after RDJr is coming off it and being identified as iron man like christian bale has been more or less identified as batman.

Hey, if the man wants to play Iron Man, I say we let him.

Earnest Cavalli:

Jackie as Iron Man? no. Jackie in a Marvel movie? Hell. Fucking. YES!!!

Agayek:

Agreed. I can't recall Chan playing a villain role, so that would be pretty sweet.

"Of course, the obvious, most important question is, "Would you want to see Jackie Chan as Iron Man?""

Who in there right mind wouldn't want to see that? I mean, come on.

Yeah, I agree with what people are saying. Seeing Mr. Chan in a high budjet Marvel film would be sweet, hero or villain, as long as he was fighting and the like.

RaNDM G:

Agayek:

Agreed. I can't recall Chan playing a villain role, so that would be pretty sweet.

The only problem is that Jackie Chan is indestructible, so any villain he plays would have to win.

I guess I'd pay to see Jackie Chan play Iron Man. Not sure he's right for the job though.

Iron Man, no, but Iron Fist maybe? Or Shen Kuei? I dunno, Either way, yes he'd be great in a Marvel film

Wouldn't that make him overpowered? He already know kung fu so add in the armour, flight and pulse blast etc? It would be like Batman having a green lantern ring (yes I know about that image).

In saying so I guess he must of been annoyed that they didn't wanted him in those extra China scenes added when the film was premier in China (look it up if you didn't know Marvel added unnecessary scene of TonY in China looking for the Mandarin cos they wanted it make it more appealing to the Chinese audiences).

There is only one appropriate reaction:

On a more serious note, RDJ has just nailed Tony Stark so perfectly that anyone else will be a guaranteed letdown.

Now, Jackie Chan playing another superhero? Hell yes!

You know... I absolutely couldn't see Jackie Chan as Iron Man as portrayed by Robert Downey Jr.. His English isn't strong enough, and god love the man, his dramatic range isn't quite up to it.

But a Hong Kong-style Iron Man re-imagining with a lighter tone and a Chinese cast...? Oddly enough, I could imagine that working. I'm not saying it would ever happen in this world with character rights being what they are, but I could imagine a movie like that that would be well worth seeing.

LavaLampBamboo:
Iron Man, no, but Iron Fist maybe? Or Shen Kuei? I dunno, Either way, yes he'd be great in a Marvel film

Jackie is already a superhero, we just need to get Stan Lee to make a comic book about him :P

IRON MAN WAS WHIIIIIIITE!!!!

(lol just trolling!)

the guy's half-kidding. He wants to be in a Marvel film (who wouldn't?) but everyone knows only RDJ could ever be the "real" iron man, it's almost like Stan Lee invented the character for him 50 yrs in advance. Everyone loves Jackie Chan, and there's no one Stallone won't cram into his awful Expendables movies anyway, so he may as well start training now. As for Marvel...why not? =)

I agree with what some people here have already stated. I couldn't see him as Iron Man, though I would like to see him somewhere in the Marvel Universe. I'm sure there's a role for him somewhere.

Jackie Chan as Iron Man? No.

Jackie Chan as the Black Widow? Now you're talking

Yes! Please make this happen! Super Hero Jackie Chan ftw. he shouldn't need an iron suit.

"I really want to see Jackie Chan play Iron Man" - says Rand!

That's more because I love Jackie Chan, and I understand the timing is way off since Jackie's getting too old and RDJ plays the role perfectly and will be there for a few more years yet. So let me rephrase the above quote:

"I really want to see Jackie Chan play ANT MAN!!!!"

Nothing wrong with Marvel making white characters black, so why not Asian? Ant Man is supposed to be humorous and Jack Chan fits action-comedy to a T.

I would. It would probably be more interesting than RDJ at least. Though there's a lot of superheroes, so I think there has to be someone that fits him better.

LavaLampBamboo:

I say Jackie Chan has Master Izo, who is basically a 500 years old Asian Daredevil, in term of the character ability.

I really prefer Robert Downy Jr., but I would certainly love to see Jackie Chan as a Marvel hero of some sort. I'm not familiar with the options, but I think it'd be great to have him in Avengers 2.

Well, no, cos Iron Man is an american white guy. BUT. Jackie in an iron man suit would be awesome......just not thee iron man...IRON CHAN. Yeah. That would be awesome.

LavaLampBamboo:

I'd love to see Jackie Chan as Iron Fist to be quite honest. I think he'd be perfect for that role, or as someone else said I'd like to see him as Mandarin.

Jackie Chan is the fucking man. Though it would be cool to see him portray a character that we haven't seen on the big screen yet.

Jakie Chan as Iron Man? *ponders this*

o.0 why has this not happened...

course, I wanna see a Jackie Chan movie with a fight scene is an Arts and Crafts store to.

Think about it. and your Welcome

He could be a cheap Chinese imitation Iron Man in Avengers 2. His armour would be made of lead and the colour scheme would be all wrong, but deep down it will still have the heart and ambition of the real Iron Man. And it good deal, you no find better price this side Hong Kong![/casual racism]

I don't know many Chinese characters in the Marvel Universe except Mandarin. If there is one out there then sure, I'd go see that film. But he really wouldn't make a better Tony Stark than Downey Jr.

And I really want to see him do it.

You know the really awesome final fight scene from Police Story? Now imagine that except Jackie Chan can also fly and shoot lasers.

In fact just film Police Story again except Jackie Chan has Iron Man armour. Don't even explain why, he just has it.

Best thing EVAR!

So the next Marvel film will be called IRON CHAN!

I'll let my self out...

It's kind of crazy how after all these years, all his fame and his huge fanbase he still comes off as a pretty real and humble person.

He is getting on a bit, but Jackie Chan as Deadpool I would definitely want to see

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here