Xbox One Won't Support SDTVs

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

no sdtvs

Also missing: Support for Dial-up, Punch Cards and Betamax.

Are you one of the handful of gamers still using an SDTV? If so, the Xbox One might not be for you. Despite looking like a VHS player from the mid-90s, the console will not support SDTVs out of the box. The Xbone, to use its not-quite official name, lacks any kind of analogue output. Instead, you connect the console to your TV via the current industry standard, HDMI.

While HDMI-to-whatever converters are cheap and plentiful, it's not clear if the Xbone will actually support sub-720p resolutions. I wouldn't be surprised to find out it couldn't; Numerous 360 games ran into problems when it turned out they were more-or-less unplayable on SDTVs.

To most of you this won't be a big deal. In fact, it'll probably be seen as a long-overdue step forward. If you can afford a device likely to cost somewhere in the $400-$500 range, you can probably afford to put out $200 for a television that wasn't around during the Nixon administration.

The move has led to speculation that the console will likely be embracing High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP), a protocol that checks what kind of receiver you have connected to your device to prevent unauthorized copying of digital content. The PS3 currently supports full HDCP encryption, which is why it's famously incompatible with recording or capture devices connected via HDMI. Considering HDCP is quickly becoming a standard for digital television, and the Xbone is all about the television, it seems likely the console will support the encryption protocol.

Source: Gimmegimmegames

Well, as someone with ZERO HD TVs in my household, because they're all 90's era, big screen SD ones, this is certainly unfriendly news.

I actually think the last poll found that nearly 30-40% of TV owners still owned SD TVs as their primary television... so that seems like a lot of the market they'll still miss out on.

How dare you not work in my Admiral TV (That actually the newest and only TV I own)

P.S. Only keep it around because it the TV I play console game on since I finished first grade (when I got my NES) and the damn thing is impossible to kill, has the freaking thing never got repair while been older then me. It also got pretty good image for such an old TV set.

Trishbot:
Well, as someone with ZERO HD TVs in my household, because they're all 90's era, big screen SD ones, this is certainly unfriendly news.

I actually think the last poll found that nearly 30-40% of TV owners still owned SD TVs as their primary television... so that seems like a lot of the market they'll still miss out on.

No shit. Couple this with the fact that they are screwing the used games portion AND the fact that you have to be online? They are seriously limiting their profits.

Also, I am so sorry for not being Rich, Microsoft. It isn't like I am trying to pay for College, Bills, and a one year study-abroad trip next year. Not to mention that there are probably many others worse off than I am.

Ugh, more and more info from this seriously pisses me off.

Oh, well god damn! It does still play VCR tapes though, right?

Way to force everyone into your personal warped vision of the future Microsoft.

So the TV Box won't even let you watch TV on your television?

So, not only are they making it a nightmare to try and set up on an older TV, they're also trying to tell machinima makers to fuck off? Well, I guess we'll oblige. Thank you microsoft, for telling us straight-up that you don't want anything to do with us. It seems the feeling is mutual.

I'm not sure why you felt the need to be so condescending about it.

Balls to this nonsense. I canceled my cable subscription in 2009. Sure as shit not buying a new tv just so I can then buy a console which will allow me to pay more for my games than direct download. Now I'm actually gonna have to figure out how to not be terrible with a pc. I generally wreck them in about 2-3 years :(

No Dial-up? Guess they're letting the PS4 have Seattle then :P
Well they did say it wasn't backwards compatible.

Well,If I was planning to get this thing,I'd have to spend even more now to upgrade my tv.

There stupidity is so damn fucking disgusting i wonder if bill gates is crying i mean seriously between all the other stupid shit it wont even work on my bedroom tv just get bent microshit(thought i never say that)but your capacity of greed and dumbshit decisions makes EA look BETTER than YOU!

I only recently (past 2 years) got a HDTV, before that I was still playing on a SDTV. So while HD is more the norm, I'm fairly confident there are a number of people who still use a SD.

This is the first of the controversial points about the XBone that I think is fine. Running a high-end computer to play on a 1280x720 screen is already dumb, so running on a 640x480 screen is just beyond stupidly outdated (yes, that is the resolution of an SDTV, no matter how big it is). I haven't even used that resolution on a computer since 1996!

Trishbot:

Given the other markets they seem unafraid to alienate, it should be no shock.

Well, I use an HDTV and gonna get a better one soon too, but at this point new xbox is a piece of shit no sane person should buy. So any news on what it's compatible with are irrelevant.

I only recently got myself an HDTV, got it about 7 months ago, so that I could use my HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition, but this is honestly just sad. Seriously MS is really just having this "console" go to the rich people it would seem.
Also, is it sad that I had Dial-Up internet until 2008...
Plus with this encryption it seems like you'd be unable to even record this travesty. Makes you wonder what Roosterteeth is gonna do.
I mean that encryption is why the HD PVR 2 had the attachment to record component cables added onto it.

Grey Carter:

Also missing: Support for Dial-up, Punch Cards and Betamax.

Wait, What?! No Betamax?! Oh fuck this system .... How dare they ignore one of the single greatest steps forward in tech we've had. not your gonna tell me it doesn't play 8-tracks ....

Anyway, still using an SDTV here, not upgrading till this one dies. Course, not buying the XBone or PS4 ether so what they support visually is a moot point.

PS2 forever \m/

We have a HDTV in our living room, but you can't attach a console to it because people like watching TV on it (yes, I know it's a "TV Box" but we already have a Virgin box). The only gamer besides myself in the house is my brother who has an SDTV and the only other HD display in the house is my PC monitor.

I wouldn't be surprised if the PS4 also lacked SDTV compatibility, though. It is about time to upgrade, really.

Neronium:

Also, is it sad that I had Dial-Up internet until 2008...

Same here. Might have to go back to it, even (which means I can kiss goodbye to PC gaming :( ).

This honestly doesn't surprise me either. Anyone that gets pissed about this is kind of a dinosaur at this point. Even the current gen consoles look like crap on an SDTV. Asking for it to be compatible with an SDTV is asking a bit much, in my opinion. At a certain point, you have to move forward with technology, not hold on to the past.

Trishbot:

Sorry, but for the people who actually want to use next gen consoles anyway, you'd be in the extreme minority if you wanted to use it on an SDTV. So let's talk about that poll, eh? 30-40% is statistically a large spread of difference. I'd be curious to find out when/where that poll was conducted and how accurate its numbering is, because 30-40 just isn't an accurate enough figure - it leaves a lot of wiggle room, because that 10% difference could be a LOT of people.

Stop shoving us, Microsoft. We're not the ones whose back is facing towards the cliff.

Fantastic.
On top of all of the reasons I wouldn't want to buy this console, now there's also a reason why I couldn't use it even if I got it.

Congratulations Microsoft, upgrading to Xbone is officially too expensive as I'd have to get a new tv, which probably doesn't even fit in my bedroom.

Along with that other thing I need a bigger bedroom for... Kinect.
Well, they've killed all the chances of me even considering getting it.

As of 2011, two-thirds of American homes have HDTV of one form or another.

Source: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1341539/nielsen-two-thirds-of-all-tv-homes-now-have-an-hd-set

And I'd be surprised if the SD segment hadn't shrunk by now.

But still, when you cross that with homes that don't have access to the always-on Internet access that most, if not all XBone usage seems likely to require... That's not a trivial segment of the market to leave out. And that's only in the United States.

The dumb keeps comin'.

To be honest, I understand this. I've been struggling a little with SDTV for a while, though mostly with ridiculously tiny text, but still, it's about time I upgraded.

However, this is yet further alienation. This is a lone reasonable request in a sea of completely absurd demands that the xbox one will push on gamers. Not having SDTV options is the very fucking least of it's problems.

If you can afford a 200+ console and 40+ games then I'm sure you can afford an 18 inch HDTV.

Personally, sdtv resolution makes me vomit and it's horrendously outdated, but I know plenty of people who hang on to them. Smooth Microsoft. If becoming a lot more affordable in the last few years wasn't enough to get people to switch to HD, what makes Microsoft think their console can force people to switch?

"The move has led to speculation that the console will likely be embracing High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP)"

lol there are loads of HDTV's out there that don't support HDCP my 2009 sharp 1080P tv doesn't.

My TV's standard def because I watch a half-hour of TV a day; it's not worth buying an HDTV until my SDTV dies. Of course I wasn't planning on buying one of these things anyway....

synobal:
So the TV Box won't even let you watch TV on your television?

Very good, sir! :)

CardinalPiggles:
If you can afford a 200+ console and 40+ games then I'm sure you can afford a TV like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-KDL20S2030-Widescreen-Bravia-Freeview/dp/B000IB59BQ/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1369264909&sr=8-12&keywords=18+inch+hdtv

A 20" HDTV it won't look any different than an SDTV at normal viewing distance anyway.

It's funny how people are so condescending in this article. Yeah I guess I'm one of the "few" people who don't own an HDTV. What about people who's console isn't hooked up to their HDTV? I guess none of us matter huh? Sure I could buy a tiny 20" HDTV for 200 bucks but for that I'd rather just play on my computer that already has a 20" a monitor. So this is probably a deal breaker for me. Not going to drop close to or over a grand just for a Xbox and tv that's a decent size.

Midniqht:

Trishbot:

Sorry, but for the people who actually want to use next gen consoles anyway, you'd be in the extreme minority if you wanted to use it on an SDTV. So let's talk about that poll, eh? 30-40% is statistically a large spread of difference. I'd be curious to find out when/where that poll was conducted and how accurate its numbering is, because 30-40 just isn't an accurate enough figure - it leaves a lot of wiggle room, because that 10% difference could be a LOT of people.

I was going off memory, but looking it up, it's at 30% based on the Nielsen ratings from Fall 2012. Granted, it's still dwindling year by year as costs lower and accessibility rises... but that number is vastly lower on a global scale in markets where HD TV has not penetrated as hard (because MOST people in the world are not wealthy Americans).

Beyond that, I've actually found that HD games look, at times, BETTER on SD because many imperfections in game graphics and texturing are smoothed out and obscured. It does not look as DEFINED, but it looks BETTER (just as a pretty girl can be pretty until you put her in high definition and can now see every pore and minor imperfection on her skin).

So, why do I get this feeling that if Xbone bombs because of all this, it's somehow going to be our fault because we're too backwards to truly understand the distilled awesomeness that is the Xbone?

Oh lord, please dont be apart of that 'Xbone' group. Every time I see a post with that word in it, I immediately throw out all credibility of that post and stop reading. This also include M$ and the such. It feels sooooooooooooo immature.

But about the original topic... I cant specifically say anything good or bad about this. Many people are using Neilson ratings as their go to stat, but we also dont see how many of those people who use SD TV's actually connect an Xbox to it. With the current population, we have a LARGE amount of older adults compared to younger, and they are the most likely to have those older SD TV's.

This is a bad call. A lot of people still don't have an HDTV. And if they do it's not really a good one. I have an HDTV that I bought just last year, although I'm not fuckin' interested in Xbox One. But a lot of people I know don't have an HDTV and they don't want one. They just don't see the purpose yet and it's too expensive for them. Jim Sterling is right. This console is for the rich and privileged.

Heh... almost everyone is complaining about the lack of SD support, while my first reaction to the news was "what? No DisplayPort?"

I can't see the difference between HDTV and SDTV so I have my SDTV and enjoy it. Just another reason I'm glad I'm upgrading my PC this year.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here