Capcom Cancels Zombie Pool In Wake Of Terror Attack

Pages PREV 1 2

Flatfrog:

Daystar Clarion:
Are all religious based attacks terror attacks now?

2 guys kills another man, and while it's abhorrent, it's hardly a terror attack.

It's just plain old murder.

Giving these events such undue attention only spurs on others to commit such attacks (citation needed).

Exactly my feeling. In my opinion, this is the British media and government suffering from 9/11 envy. Let's get some perspective. A bomb in a public place, a plane flown into a building, these are acts of terrorism. A nutter with a meat cleaver is not, no matter what his motive.

It was a islamicly motivated attck that was brutal and extreemly violent, it was intended to send a message. People are scared some would say they are terrified, a terror attck on the scale of 7/7 or 9/11? No it's not that is correct. However it still is a terror attack reguardless of the scale, weapon used or the location.

The worst thing is the muslim communtiy will suffer the worst as a result, I wish I knew what these two madmen hoped to achieve for Islam from this act appart from worsening it's public image.

V da Mighty Taco:

nexus:
It should be a crime to call this a terrorist attack. Shame on the media & the government and all who perpetuate this nonsense.

As it's been stated already, mass murder is not the only form of terrorism. Single murders can also be terrorism, so long as the primary goal is to bring fear to people and to spread a cause. The size of the attack is irrelevant, only it's motive and cultural significance. For example, a bombing of the Statue of Liberty by a domestic group seeking the removal of U.S. forces from foreign disputes would qualify as terrorism, even if nobody was killed or injured by the attack.

Two guys performed a public assassination and dismemberment of a soldier with the sole intent of getting a message across and making people at large fear them. The soldier was clearly the specified target, seemingly because of what he represents to both British society as well as the Middle East, thus giving the death and dismemberment of such an individual more meaning and impact. This attack, by definition, is a case of terrorism.

I will agree though that the attention from media isn't helping matters in the slightest.

When did I ever say terrorism has to be mass-murder?

But by all means, spew your rhetoric. Let us keep reminding people we need to continually be on edge and at war. Continue being part of the problem.

The man detests me, for what he did. But was his message not true? Do we not kill Muslims on a daily basis? Men, women and children? Yes, we're just innocent folk having to deal with abhorrent "terror attacks", woe is us. Let us spend more money on paramilitary police with assault rifles. Let us never address the problem, let us just label everything "terrorism" and pat ourselves on the back.

nexus:

V da Mighty Taco:

nexus:
It should be a crime to call this a terrorist attack. Shame on the media & the government and all who perpetuate this nonsense.

As it's been stated already, mass murder is not the only form of terrorism. Single murders can also be terrorism, so long as the primary goal is to bring fear to people and to spread a cause. The size of the attack is irrelevant, only it's motive and cultural significance. For example, a bombing of the Statue of Liberty by a domestic group seeking the removal of U.S. forces from foreign disputes would qualify as terrorism, even if nobody was killed or injured by the attack.

Two guys performed a public assassination and dismemberment of a soldier with the sole intent of getting a message across and making people at large fear them. The soldier was clearly the specified target, seemingly because of what he represents to both British society as well as the Middle East, thus giving the death and dismemberment of such an individual more meaning and impact. This attack, by definition, is a case of terrorism.

I will agree though that the attention from media isn't helping matters in the slightest.

When did I ever say terrorism has to be mass-murder?

But by all means, spew your rhetoric. Let us keep reminding people we need to continually be on edge and at war. Continue being part of the problem.

The man detests me, for what he did. But was his message not true? Do we not kill Muslims on a daily basis? Men, women and children? Yes, we're just innocent folk having to deal with abhorrent "terror attacks", woe is us. Let us spend more money on paramilitary police with assault rifles. Let us never address the problem, let us just label everything "terrorism" and pat ourselves on the back.

What's with the hostility? You said it wasn't terrorism. By definition, it was. That was my main point.

You're also ignoring my last sentence entirely. I actually agreed with you that bringing attention to these guys is not a good idea. I also did not mention the validity of their messages in any way. You're putting words into my mouth that I never said, which is a fallacy that wrecks the legitimacy of whatever your point was. Did you even read my post?

Flatfrog:

Lightspeaker:

Except you're objectively and legally wrong. Terrorist attacks are nothing to do with scale or effect or "perspective" but purpose. The UK defines a terror attack under the Terrorism Act 2000 which you can conveniently view on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism_Act_2000

Intriguing but still, I'd maintain that as a definition that sucks arse. It's so broad as to count huge numbers of acts which no reasonable person would use the term for. It most definitely does apply to the drone strikes the US carries out in Pakistan and elsewhere, which I'm sure most US people would maintain were not terrorist in nature.

The US wouldn't count their strikes as terrorist attacks, but the people on the other side would. It's all to do with perspective. Personally sending drones to assassinate whoever you want is a terrorist attack, the fact the US is a big nation that can say tough shit doesn't change the fact it's committing various crimes.

OT: Smart move on Capcoms part, if it was an event elsewhere then it'd be an over reaction, but being so close to the event both physically and time wise it would have been disgraceful to go ahead with the event.

FreelanceButler:

Flatfrog:

Daystar Clarion:

2 guys kills another man, and while it's abhorrent, it's hardly a terror attack.

Giving these events such undue attention only spurs on others to commit such attacks (citation needed).

Exactly my feeling. In my opinion, this is the British media and government suffering from 9/11 envy. Let's get some perspective. A bomb in a public place, a plane flown into a building, these are acts of terrorism. A nutter with a meat cleaver is not, no matter what his motive.

I think running a guy down in a car, dragging him out into the middle of the road to make sure everyone can see, cleaving the man all over, beheading him and then hanging around and requesting people record them so they can justify themselves and spread a message counts as some kind of terrorism. It's more than just a religion-based murder, anyway.

Anyway, I think Capcom were probably right to call the event off. Even though almost anyone who knows what a zombie is would see how the stunt has no relation to the murder, there's just too many ways it could be seen as disrespectful.
Besides, if they want people to get talking about their game, they should follow in the wake of the Dragon's Crown sexualisation debate and put some emphasis on Lady Hunk.

What's wrong with Lady HUNK? I'm actually excited for that bit of DLC. If not for the lack of pants, you'd never know it was a woman- the only other thing that's changed is her fingers. Still has the same sized heavy flak jacket that HUNK usually wears.

Daystar Clarion:

Terror attacks aren't one based on faith or ideology, their operations with the focus on inciting fear into the populace or targets. A terrorist can be Christian for all it matters, or even Buddhist (though I find that latter unlikely, but the first highly so).

Seeing a man butchered to death on the streets is murder but when backed by the intent to incite fear and stir panic into people, than it becomes terrorism. Religion doesn't have anything to do with the real meaning of terrorism, it's all about fear.

Daystar Clarion:

No silly, it's only a terror attack because they're Muslim. That's how the media works!

Hectix777:

Daystar Clarion:

Terror attacks aren't one based on faith or ideology, their operations with the focus on inciting fear into the populace or targets. A terrorist can be Christian for all it matters, or even Buddhist (though I find that latter unlikely, but the first highly so).

Seeing a man butchered to death on the streets is murder but when backed by the intent to incite fear and stir panic into people, than it becomes terrorism. Religion doesn't have anything to do with the real meaning of terrorism, it's all about fear.

We need a new word.

Terrorism means nothing anymore, it's been overused to death.

We should call them 'HORRORSCAPES'.

Always in caps.

Daystar Clarion:

Know what incites terror? seeing the words 'TERROR ATTACK' on every channel accompanied by so much shakey cam footage that it feels like I'm watching f***ing Cloverfield.

Plus he was a soldier. Now we have to hear about how brilliant 'aur boys' are constantly. Frankly so many things about this story, they way its covered, and peoples reactions annoy the hell outta me that I'm not even going to start.

annoyinglizardvoice:
It feels weird to say this, but I support Capcom here. While I'm not a fan of being too fussy about such things, there is such a thing as "too soon", and it is important that they are taking into account how the gamers and the games industry are perceived.

You're not alone mate. I'm not a fan of being over sensitive, but Capcom totally made the right call. Some people seem to have totally lost the ability to look at things from a viewpoint that it might offend other people. So many people seem to just scream at people for being offended or for trying to be sensitive. Sadface.

Daystar Clarion:

Hectix777:

Daystar Clarion:

We need a new word.

Terrorism means nothing anymore, it's been overused to death.

We should call them 'HORRORSCAPES'.

Always in caps.

Pre 9/11 the terrorist stereotype was a white christian extreme right winger.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here