Microsoft Wants Another 25 Million Sales From the Xbox 360

Xbox 360 and controller

Microsoft has plans to keep the 360 alive and well for the next five years.

Some have said that the current console generation has dragged on for too long, and that new platforms can't arrive soon enough. Despite the greying hair on this generation of hardware, though, Microsoft thinks there's plenty of life left in the Xbox 360. Enough life to justify some optimistic expectations - the company is trying to break 100 million 360 sales in the next five years, which would mean 25 million additional 360s sold at the twilight of their generation.

Yusuf Mehdi, Microsoft's senior vice president of Interactive Entertainment Business, thinks that some changes to the 360's market position will continue to drive sales. "We believe over the next five years we can break a 100 million unit installed base," Mehdi says. That's something we're shooting for, it's not a financial plan as such, it's just rough numbers if you will. To sell another 25 million, half of those will probably come from replacements, but half will come from new buyers.

"And the way we'll break into those segments is by hitting new price points, getting new classes of entertainment to come with the Xbox, and breaking into new customer segments. So you'll see the Xbox 360 continue to exist, even as we launch the next generation Xbox One."

Of course, the details of Microsoft's actual financial plan for the 360 aren't clear yet. "New classes of entertainment" could mean anything, but those "new price points" Mehdi mentions are certainly very interesting. If there are any customers left for the Xbox 360 who don't already own it, it'll likely take a price drop to convince them to finally make a purchase. Those could be the "new customer segments" Mehdi talks about, or Microsoft could be planning to market the 360 more to the television audience like it's been doing with the Xbox One. Expect to hear about those changes soon - perhaps at the Microsoft press conference at E3.

Source: OXM

This reeks of nervous backpeddling from a bad situation... Funny how this wasn't mentioned earlier... (Maybe it was, I am relatively ignorant of console support)

They want to keep it alive and well because they know deep down the Xbone is gonna flop so badly it's probably gonna take a decent sized chunk of their cash with it.

Also, wasn't this already posted, or was that a guy in Gaming Discussion and not the News Room?

So basically, Microsoft is going to sell the remaining Xbox 360's they have for less than $100 a console? Because that's the only viable marketing plan if they plan on selling the XBox 360 along with the XBone. Anyone that wants a 360 would already have one, which is why a console life of more than five years is pointless really, other than replacing the ones that break.

Ah, so *that*'s why they don't want to make the Bone backwards-compatible. So they can keep selling both consoles.

And I want it to rain gold ingots from the sky onto my backyard and a Gundam delivered to my doorstep, fully covered by AAA. I guess we're both gonna have to live with disappointment, huh?

I'd rather by a 360 than a Bone.

I guess they don't need to make the Bone backwards compatible then. If they're going to keep supporting the software and hardware of the 360, I have no complaints. The Bone can suck all it wants; I'm not even interested.

Lol GOOD LUCK now that they've told people all purchases on this console will be locked to it and likely become unplayable in the see-able future.

People would have been more willing to buy 360s after this point if they new anything they purchased would later carry over (essentially be future proof). But from what we know now, why bother? I am actually upset with myself for buying as many XBLA games as I did. I better enjoy them for however long my 360 has left. Knowing my luck my 360 HDD will die right after they flip the switch on the current gen XBL; making it impossible to recover anything.

I have a thought. Since the Xbone has an HDMI in, could you not run the X360s HDMI out in to it thus enabling X360 play through the Xbone?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here