Peter Molyneux's Curiosity Finally Chipped Away

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Peter Molyneux's Curiosity Finally Chipped Away

The winner is Bryan Henderson of Edinburgh.

Peter Molyneux's Curiosity: What's Inside The Cube, his social experiment that promised a life-changing reward for the one to chip away its last little cubelet, is over. Bryan Henderson of Edinburgh is the winner, and this video is what he saw as the experiment came to an end. Not only does Henderson get the satisfaction of knowing that he, of all the thousands of people who chipped away at the cube, was the one to finish it; Henderson also gets to be a God, in Godus.

It's no small reward. Godus, the game that recently went to a free-to-play publisher, will give Henderson cash, as he'll be getting a cut of every Godus sale. Plus, y'know, there's the whole God thing. Smiting, sacrifices, vestal virgins ... the possibilities are endless, and no doubt Henderson's already chipping away at some Commandments as you read this. Or perhaps he's having a nap.

Whatever Henderson may be planning for his first act as a creature of unimaginable power, congratulations are in order. Well done! Now be merciful to us players, oh all-seeing one. Please?

Wow that's actually a pretty good reward.

I was expecting there to be a rickroll or Peter Molyneux just going "Well done, it's the journey that counts!"

So, this could either be a brilliant reward, or a completely awful one depending how good Godus is.

Sucks for him if he doesn't enjoy the game, still pretty cool concept. Pretty much an ultra admin I suppose.

So his prize for "beating" a game few people have heard of....is to be an admin for (and get a cut of sales from) a game few people have heard of?

Forgive me if I don't really think that was worth all of the time and money he must have wasted in that game. Sure it's better than nothing, but seriously, Godus isn't exactly a mainstream title that millions of people know about. Hardly "life-changing".

Although Godus is obscure as hell, this might get it a nice little extra PR boost.

Since more than a few gaming websites will give this their attention, you can bet Godus will gain some players.

Sucks to be the winner though if the game sucks 3 ways into sunday and no one wants to play it, including the winner.

This is either really good or really bad, depending on how good Godus is.

It could also be really bad if this Henderson guy turns out to be an uninteresting guy. Ah, well. Only time will tell.

People, you all seem to be missing the key part of the reward...

...will give Henderson cash, as he'll be getting a cut of every Godus sale.

I still think it would have been better if it was just Peter in a bikini dancing to epic sax guy with money raining down from above while ninjas fly a banner in the back reading "Did curiosity get the better of you?", the man would go down as the greatest troll in history and there would be outrage and celebration over him for years to come.

And what would have been "inside the cube" if the Godus Kickstarter would have failed?

Damn, a cut of every sale? That's an awesome prize.

Remember like a year ago when he was bragging about this valuable, life-changing thing?
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-06-molyneuxs-next-game-dated-detailed
Or how only one player will see what's inside and he will either be free to keep it for himself or make it public his own way? http://toucharcade.com/2012/11/06/curiosity-whats-inside-the-cube-review/

The twist is everyone is mining to see what's inside the box, and that only one player will get to see its contents via a video link that individual is free to share or keep to themselves.

This video is basically: "LOL I made this shit up last week, filmed this video last Monday, proving even more how full of shit I am."

He didn't even know about developing Godus when this first came out.

Also a dick move to announce that "the end is coming soon" a few weeks ahead, dicking the people that did this before even more: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-01-molyneux-signals-end-to-curiosity-and-we-could-find-out-whats-inside-the-cube-on-the-day-of-the-next-xbox-reveal

The price ends up to basically be an advanced KickStarter tier and what he refers to as "Every time people spend money on Godus, you will get a small piece of that part", not even doubling down on a specific percentage.

Inevitably people are already downing on this. I personally think this is a definitive experiment, truly letting someone other than the developers shape the way a game is played. Good or bad, the end result can give us an idea of just how we as gamers could affect the games we play if we were given this form of control. And the other half of the reward is actually profiting off of how successful the game is due to the "winner".
Whether the outcome is positive or negative it has potential.

I'm glad it was nothing I can't live without, considering I never clicked a single box.

This is...painfully forgettable. Come on, thousands of people swept away their phone's screen for months and we couldn't even get to see them rage? Now we are left with a giant "huh that was it?"

LAAAAAAAAAAAAAME!!!

Shinsei-J:
I still think it would have been better if it was just Peter in a bikini dancing to epic sax guy with money raining down from above while ninjas fly a banner in the back reading "Did curiosity get the better of you?", the man would go down as the greatest troll in history and there would be outrage and celebration over him for years to come.

...why did you just burn that image into my skull. It's gonna take a lot of mind bleach, or in my case a lot of Ratchet and Clank, to get that outta my head.

OT: Eh I have to say that's a pretty cool reward.

You know what would be awesome? If the new "God" is actually a griefer, and will try to make live for everyone in Godus miserable, despite it earning less money for him.

I actually think this is great. When you think about what Molyneux could have done, involving someone completely random into his first true independent game so deeply is quiet a drastic move to pull. I mean this guy could ruin the whole experience for everyone, including 22cans, just for the kicks.

So bravo Mister Molyneux, you really impressed me.

Personally I think it's a fairly decent reward, for the winner. It's not exactly world changing for anyone else though, but it's not as bad as it could have been.

That's a pretty good prize, free money being generated until this game dies is pretty sweet. Doesn't even matter if its only 50 bucks, it is still a free 50 dollar bill. Now when he says you get to be a god. I can't imagine this guy being able to lord over the game literally and be like "You displease me Vegetaxxx23 with your village, let it rain lava! mwahahahahaha!" Then again this is Molyneux were talking about here. So it probably will be that. Have fun going insane with power!

And this is why we all love, hate, love to hate and hate to love Peter Molyneux.
This is actually a great prize, with the usual Molyneux hype beforehand.
All hail Henderson, lord of all!

So the game was essentially a test of whether people still trusted Peter Molyneux.

The person who got to the center had their trust rewarded in what is essentially a big "see, I also shall reward those who believe in me" gesture.

Peter Molyneux is one Magnificent Bastard.

I backed Godus at a low level just so I could enjoy the potential train wreck from the position of a backer. It hasn't disappointed. What started out as a Populous clone is looking progressively more like a Facebook pay-as-you-go cow-clicker.

But that's just my assessment of it.

amaranth_dru:
Inevitably people are already downing on this. I personally think this is a definitive experiment, truly letting someone other than the developers shape the way a game is played. Good or bad, the end result can give us an idea of just how we as gamers could affect the games we play if we were given this form of control. And the other half of the reward is actually profiting off of how successful the game is due to the "winner".
Whether the outcome is positive or negative it has potential.

This experiment was more about how many gullible idiots he would find that pay him money to be allowed to tap away at their screen or monitor and how much they would pay for that privilege, nothing more.

Formica Archonis:
I backed Godus at a low level just so I could enjoy the potential train wreck from the position of a backer. It hasn't disappointed. What started out as a Populous clone is looking progressively more like a Facebook pay-as-you-go cow-clicker.

But that's just my assessment of it.

Yes, first they were all "we want to avoid publishers and do this game on our own, please throw your money our way" and then they turned that around and basically contracted the Zynga of Japan (possibly even worse) to "publish their game" (and likely turn it into a F2P nightmare bordering on gambling) on at least all mobile platforms.

This is the company that was using such exploitative gameplay mechanics that the Japanese government intervened and made them stop using them by decree: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-05-07-gree-dena-stocks-plunge-as-japanese-government-cracks-down

Mr. Molyneux calls them wonderful, marvelous and delightful:

How many less people would have pledged towards the game if they knew this from the start, and why did they need money again if they were going to turn to a publisher anyway?

Always remember:

Notbad.jpg.

I was picturing a far lamer prize or a very trolly one. I'd be okay with this, I just hope Godus is everything Black and White/Populus and so forth aspired to be. But I sincerely doubt it.

Holy shit.

Like most everyone else I was expecting the 'life changing' reward to be absolute bollocks, but really that's actually - to my unending amazement - rather brilliant. Regardless of how well Godus does in the long run it's a fantastic concept.

Well done, Peter, you mad bugger. I truly didn't think you had it in you.

SuperSuperSuperGuy:
This is either really good or really bad, depending on how good Godus is.

It could also be really bad if this Henderson guy turns out to be an uninteresting guy. Ah, well. Only time will tell.

The dude spent countless hours chipping away at a cube. It does seem likely

All right internet memes... go!

And the first question people asked was never "what's inside?" but "why would anyone play this?"

And if people knew this was the prize, would anyone bother?

So the winner gets a job? Hell, I would have done it if I knew there was a job at the end.

One could say the experiment leads directly into another one:
Drop what kind of amounts to a job, in the lap of a pretty much random person (...albeit out of a rather self-selecting group), give him influence and financial interest -- then see what happens.

I'll give Peter this one I think. After all the broken promises and built up hopes this Curiosity thing has managed to give a more than decent payoff.

A lot of people will probably be complaining about this being a viral marketing thing, and while that's technically true, I'd say this end result is a pretty solid delivery on the promise of something that's both meaningful and life-changing, so I'm fine with it.

Dexter111:
Remember like a year ago when he was bragging about this valuable, life-changing thing?
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-06-molyneuxs-next-game-dated-detailed
Or how only one player will see what's inside and he will either be free to keep it for himself or make it public his own way? http://toucharcade.com/2012/11/06/curiosity-whats-inside-the-cube-review/

The twist is everyone is mining to see what's inside the box, and that only one player will get to see its contents via a video link that individual is free to share or keep to themselves.

This video is basically: "LOL I made this shit up last week, filmed this video last Monday, proving even more how full of shit I am."

He didn't even know about developing Godus when this first came out.

Also a dick move to announce that "the end is coming soon" a few weeks ahead, dicking the people that did this before even more: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-01-molyneux-signals-end-to-curiosity-and-we-could-find-out-whats-inside-the-cube-on-the-day-of-the-next-xbox-reveal

The price ends up to basically be an advanced KickStarter tier and what he refers to as "Every time people spend money on Godus, you will get a small piece of that part", not even doubling down on a specific percentage.

Yeah, I'm quoting this because it's absolutely true. Too many people reading over this seem to think "Wow, I guess he wasn't over-hyping the cube thing!" or "Looks like the cube had a great prize after all!" or somesuch, and they're completely missing the fact that there's almost no way this could have been planned out in advance. There was almost certainly some manipulation going on behind the scenes.

The way I figure it, either the cube's prize was determined recently or (less likely) its invisible counter that keeps track of how far it had to go was recently set to expire, or possibly both.

Eh could have been worse. The people that want to hate are gonna hate. The people that love it are gonna love it.

Me? I just watch from the sidelines and try to enjoy the show. Henderson is happy. Molyneux is still up to his tricks and we got a possibly good/shit god game coming out in a while. Life as usually it seems.

Jandau:
People, you all seem to be missing the key part of the reward...

...will give Henderson cash, as he'll be getting a cut of every Godus sale.

Well now people will finally have a reason to buy it :P

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or