Nintendo's E3 Demos Heading to Best Buy

Nintendo's E3 Demos Heading to Best Buy

Best Buy

Ordinary gamers can test-drive upcoming Wii U games from a more-conveniently located participating retailer.

Of all the videogaming expos, E3 is considered to be the largest and most important for the industry. Developers and publishers from around the world flock annually to Los Angeles for the three-day event, bringing their biggest gaming announcements and demos along with them. If you're an ordinary gamer however, you'll only hear about these demos second-hand, since the convention is closed off to the general public. That's a practice Nintendo hopes to change this year by making its E3 content available to outside visitors. The gaming publisher has partnered with Best Buy to bring over 100 E3 stations to outlets across North America, allowing everyday gamers to play its anticipated Wii U titles.

Anyone interested in playing Nintendo's upcoming games should visit a participating Best Buy on Wednesday June 12th from 4pm-8pm, or on Saturday June 15th from 1pm-5pm. The demos will be available in 89 American outlets and another 21 in Canada, while "Luigi loot" and Wii U bonuses will be awarded to attendees. Unfortunately, no one knows exactly what games will be featured until Nintendo unveils them on June 11th, the first day of E3.

For some reason though, I suspect we'll see a Zelda game, a Mario sequel, and maybe Kirby, Donkey Kong, or Metroid. Just a hunch.

Source: Best Buy

That is a pretty awesome idea, actually. I remember wanting to play the demos of the various nintendo games way back when I got super-excited about E3. I certainly hope this goes well, and if it does, I hope they continue it.

Fanghawk, how could you forget about a new Super Smash Brothers? D:

Except none of the displays will work and will be covered in the germs and hand grease of tons of children. No thank you

DugMachine:
Except none of the displays will work and will be covered in the germs and hand grease of tons of children. No thank you

The nearest Best Buy in my area is kind of a dump, so I'm not really willing to go either.

Nintendo WiiU - desperately trying to stay relevant when the big boys came out.....

My local Best Buy does not participate. So... I can either take a pass, or drive for three hours after work to make it for the last hour. Choices, choices...

I think it's good to see that Nintendo is actually trying to impress consumers rather than journalists. However it should be mentioned that I would like to see the demos made available in the eShop rather than just in some Best Buy stores, but I guess they are focusing on people who don't have a Wii U rather than those of us who actually bought one... Or any of their fans outside America...

... Good for America.

Strazdas:
Nintendo WiiU - desperately trying to stay relevant when the big boys came out.....

Seriously? This is a fantastic move that benefits (some American) consumers - the kind of thing you could only DREAM of the "big boys" doing. How dare you criticise a move where the consumers are the winners as "desperation". It's a great business move on Nintendo's part and everybody wins.

The Zelda game is Windwaker, don't expect something new. Super Smash Bros is confirmed, Sonic Lost World and Bayonetta 2, also Rare is working on a game, it's either Metroid, another Nintendo IP game or a new IP, but don't know if they are going to talk about it in e3

NoeL:

Strazdas:

Seriously? This is a fantastic move that benefits (some American) consumers - the kind of thing you could only DREAM of the "big boys" doing. How dare you criticise a move where the consumers are the winners as "desperation". It's a great business move on Nintendo's part and everybody wins.

He's probably buthurt the Xbox One is a fail and fears Nintendo will be the best selling console of the generation again.

Anoni Mus:
also Rare is working on a game

Wait, what? Aren't they still owned by Microsoft? What did I miss here?

Meanwhile, in Europe...?

NoeL:

Anoni Mus:

He probably meant Retro. Ya know, because good Rare games are retro.

OT: That's a great idea. I always wanted to try out the E3 games, but for now, there is no chance of me eve going to E3.
While I still won't be able to play those demons (not in NA), I'm happy for all the people who will. This way we will also be able to get a better insight of the quality. Now different more people will be able to try them and write their opinion on the games.

This is a move where everyone wins. Nintendo gets attention, gamer get a chance to play the games.

NoeL:

Anoni Mus:

Sorry, yeah, as Kira said, I meant Retro.

I don't know if this is going to make a big enough difference for those who don't own a Wii U yet. Anyone who wants to try the Wii U can do so by walking into a local target or best buy and trying out whatever game they got plugged in. On the other hand, it would potentially give people the chance to try out and play something they may like.

NoeL:

Strazdas:

Yes, a fantastic move of being able to get a apha stage demo from nintedo that will very likely be a generic mario 25 game. This is desperation because thats the only way they can stay revent in the class of the "big boys". Nintendo was never the highest profile (well ok it was at one point) and now with nothing new to offer they woudl be drowned if they didnt take drastic and desperate measures.
I didnt say it was a bad thing. for us, consumers, such drastic measures are GOOD, because it gives more poewr to us and less to the game company. For a business, its desperation at its finest.

Anoni Mus:
He's probably buthurt the Xbox One is a fail and fears Nintendo will be the best selling console of the generation again.

Actually, im happy Xbone is a fail. I never liked Eggsbox $3.60. I dont like Wii and its incarnations either, but if anything Wii showed that market domination doesnt mean that much. Im merely dissapointed that people are cheering a console that (barely) did what is expected by default jsut because the alternative sucks. Thats like saying that alcohol is healthy because hey theres heroin out there.

On the other hand OUYA did it right - publiec E3 and an actual fight for consumer rights instead of just "hey look at the bone were waving".

Strazdas:

NoeL:

Strazdas:

Yes, a fantastic move of being able to get a apha stage demo from nintedo that will very likely be a generic mario 25 game. This is desperation because thats the only way they can stay revent in the class of the "big boys". Nintendo was never the highest profile (well ok it was at one point) and now with nothing new to offer they woudl be drowned if they didnt take drastic and desperate measures.
I didnt say it was a bad thing. for us, consumers, such drastic measures are GOOD, because it gives more poewr to us and less to the game company. For a business, its desperation at its finest.

Anoni Mus:

Actually, im happy Xbone is a fail. I never liked Eggsbox $3.60. I dont like Wii and its incarnations either, but if anything Wii showed that market domination doesnt mean that much. Im merely dissapointed that people are cheering a console that (barely) did what is expected by default jsut because the alternative sucks. Thats like saying that alcohol is healthy because hey theres heroin out there.

On the other hand OUYA did it right - publiec E3 and an actual fight for consumer rights instead of just "hey look at the bone were waving".

Didn't most of the early ouya backers say it was terrible? I also fail to see how this move is at all desperate on Nintendo's part. They probably didn't even have to spend much money. Ninty gets advertisement and best buy gets customers.

Innegativeion:

Didn't most of the early ouya backers say it was terrible? I also fail to see how this move is at all desperate on Nintendo's part. They probably didn't even have to spend much money. Ninty gets advertisement and best buy gets customers.

I dont know, didnt follow Ouya closely as i already got an andoird gaming device. Its called a phone.
Nintendy woudl be the small and forgotten during this years E3 because everyones eyes are on PS4 and Xbone atm. They are trying to drag attention to themselves in any way they know how, desperately, and thus cave in to breake the E3 rules of being industry only and publicly releasing them, hoping for more attention than they deserve.
Once again, i dont say that is bad that they did that, just desperate.

Innegativeion:

I'm an OUYA backer. And while I wouldn't say it's terrible, I will say it needs a lot of polish. It's rough right now, but very fix-able, I think.

Strazdas:

I dont know, didnt follow Ouya closely as i already got an andoird gaming device. Its called a phone.
Nintendy woudl be the small and forgotten during this years E3 because everyones eyes are on PS4 and Xbone atm. They are trying to drag attention to themselves in any way they know how, desperately, and thus cave in to breake the E3 rules of being industry only and publicly releasing them, hoping for more attention than they deserve.
Once again, i dont say that is bad that they did that, just desperate.

"Desperate" is certainly not the term. I also think your assertion that PS4 and Xbone being the only things people are hyped about, are completely false.

Especially for the Xbone, which did a pretty good job of killing its own hype with its own reveal, especially outside of the Americas.

Meanwhile support for the Wiiu has been stronger than ever since that reveal, and Nintendo's been hyping its E-3 presentation for months. It's also got an all-star lineup (New 3d mario, new zelda AFAIK, more footage of already announced titles, new RPG by monolith soft, Super Smash Bros. 4 screens, etc. etc.) and even without e3 Nintendo always stands to make a handsome profit from 1st party titles.

In fact, e3 often hurts developers in the investors department, ironically.

Desperate would imply Nintendo is losing hope in their own product, or that offering a consumer-friendly service such as the Best Buy thing, with little cost to themselves, is an extreme measure. I'm quite confident Nintendo isn't worried.

Besides, there are no "rules of e3", as you put it. It hasn't always been press only, you know. Besides, you seem proud of Android for doing the same damn thing!

Strazdas:

On the other hand OUYA did it right - publiec(sic) E3 and an actual fight for consumer rights instead of just "hey look at the bone were waving".

A public e3. Which is what Nintendo is doing; a public press conference via streaming.

Innegativeion:

"Desperate" is certainly not the term. I also think your assertion that PS4 and Xbone being the only things people are hyped about, are completely false.

Especially for the Xbone, which did a pretty good job of killing its own hype with its own reveal, especially outside of the Americas.

Meanwhile support for the Wiiu has been stronger than ever since that reveal, and Nintendo's been hyping its E-3 presentation for months. It's also got an all-star lineup (New 3d mario, new zelda AFAIK, more footage of already announced titles, new RPG by monolith soft, Super Smash Bros. 4 screens, etc. etc.) and even without e3 Nintendo always stands to make a handsome profit from 1st party titles.

In fact, e3 often hurts developers in the investors department, ironically.

Desperate would imply Nintendo is losing hope in their own product, or that offering a consumer-friendly service such as the Best Buy thing, with little cost to themselves, is an extreme measure. I'm quite confident Nintendo isn't worried.

Besides, there are no "rules of e3", as you put it. It hasn't always been press only, you know. Besides, you seem proud of Android for doing the same damn thing!

Strazdas:

On the other hand OUYA did it right - publiec(sic) E3 and an actual fight for consumer rights instead of just "hey look at the bone were waving".

A public e3. Which is what Nintendo is doing; a public press conference via streaming.

Thats why the pools say that 59% are excited and 44% are enthusiastic about Xbox one?[1]
Escapist is NOT a representation of the average gamer. we are, as Susan best put it, Weird and happy about it. Does not mean that Xbone will cater to us.

SUpport for WiiU was a templorary jump from the raging people because kinect is evil. it wont last. Such "Statements" from gamers never last. Most people forgot ME3 by now even though at that time it was some sort of volcanic eruption.

Nintendo has already lost hope, remember them begging themr costumers to buy it?[2]

Bestbuy service is an extreme measure when it comes to E3 being given them iddle finger. There are plenty of E3 rules, both official and unwritten.
Streaming E3 is not public. PAX is public. Ouya parking lot conference is public. E3 is not.

Strazdas:
[
Yes, a fantastic move of being able to get a apha stage demo from nintedo that will very likely be a generic mario 25 game.

3D Mario games are anything but generic. Seriously. Three out of the last five 3D Mario games are among the most acclaimed games of all time: Mario 64, Galaxy and Galaxy 2. Even 3D Land, a handheld title, got near universal praise from reviewers, if not quite the same level of adoration as Galaxy. You're talking out of your arse if you think that either Mario is generic, or that people don't care about Mario games. 3D Land is the highest selling 3DS game for a reason.

This is desperation because thats the only way they can stay revent in the class of the "big boys".

Who are these 'big boys' you're talking about? Sony and Microsoft? Both of them sold both less hardware and software this generation compared to Nintendo. Neither of them are making as much pure profit from games, and are having to subsidise their gaming divisions with other departments. When it comes to 'big boys' in gaming, Nintendo is the biggest one of all.

Nintendo was never the highest profile (well ok it was at one point) and now with nothing new to offer they woudl be drowned if they didnt take drastic and desperate measures.

So any pro-consumer stance taken by a company must automatically be desperation on the part of that same company I applaud your logic. Not for any merit it has, but simply because of how bizarre your thinking is.

They're going to give consumers the chance to play (most likely) demos for 3D Mario, Mario Kart and Smash Bros. How is that anything other than a massive win for everyone involved?

Eggsbox $3.60? Never heard that one before. Can't say it's a particularly witty pun, but oh well. I'll give you a gold star for effort.

The Wii showed us that market domination means a pretty big deal, given that both Sony and Microsoft are still trying to ride the tails of the motion control craze Nintendo kickstarted. Dunno if you noticed, but the Xbone comes shipped with a mandatory Kinect 2, and the PS4 has Move built into the controller.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

3D Mario games are anything but generic. Seriously. Three out of the last five 3D Mario games are among the most acclaimed games of all time: Mario 64, Galaxy and Galaxy 2. Even 3D Land, a handheld title, got near universal praise from reviewers, if not quite the same level of adoration as Galaxy. You're talking out of your arse if you think that either Mario is generic, or that people don't care about Mario games. 3D Land is the highest selling 3DS game for a reason.

People care about mario games that are generic. That is the main problem for Nintendos success with beating dead horse again and again.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Who are these 'big boys' you're talking about? Sony and Microsoft? Both of them sold both less hardware and software this generation compared to Nintendo. Neither of them are making as much pure profit from games, and are having to subsidise their gaming divisions with other departments. When it comes to 'big boys' in gaming, Nintendo is the biggest one of all.

Apples and oranges. different audience. if i sell more cars i will not become "big boy" in gaming.
Also last generation is last generation. Look at WiiU and its sales.

So any pro-consumer stance taken by a company must automatically be desperation on the part of that same company I applaud your logic. Not for any merit it has, but simply because of how bizarre your thinking is.

No. A stance that is pro-consumer only in hoping to grab more attention during an event when attention will be focused elsewhere is desperate.

They're going to give consumers the chance to play (most likely) demos for 3D Mario, Mario Kart and Smash Bros. How is that anything other than a massive win for everyone involved?

Because not everyone likes the most famous man in all the world. This remidns me of those Alpha stage sales. hey instead of hiring testers we will give you the game and let you sort out the bugs, and yeah you will have to pay us for it.

Eggsbox $3.60? Never heard that one before. Can't say it's a particularly witty pun, but oh well. I'll give you a gold star for effort.

really? thats a very very old joke.

The Wii showed us that market domination means a pretty big deal, given that both Sony and Microsoft are still trying to ride the tails of the motion control craze Nintendo kickstarted. Dunno if you noticed, but the Xbone comes shipped with a mandatory Kinect 2, and the PS4 has Move built into the controller.

fair enough, a luck connected with new niche of audience for Wii has managed to get other silyl folk try to replicate the fame. except that it never works. games trying to be COD v2 never succeed. thats because copying a product that already exist does not make it popular. and while lastgen was quite unique this new one will be a homogemous all in one mass.

Capcha: Pants on the ground
wait, shouldnt they be on the head?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or