Rise of the Triad Studio Reveals Cover Art, System Specs and More

Rise of the Triad Studio Reveals Cover Art, System Specs and More

Rise of the Triad 2013 cover

The cover art for Interceptor Entertainment's upcoming Rise of the Triad reboot will probably ring a bell with old-time shooter fans.

"Wait a minute," you say. "Rise of the Triad is being released digitally. Why does it need cover art?" My answer would be quite simply that I have no idea, but I like it: as this comparison image shows, it's a nearly direct clone of the original, right down to the old-school RSAC advisory label. Not practical, perhaps, but very groovy.

Here's something that'll probably be a little more useful: system requirements!

Minimum:

• Processor: 2.4 GHz Dual Core Processor or Better
  • Memory: 2 GB RAM
  • Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 3870 / NVIDIA 8800 GT
  • DirectX: 9.0
  • Hard Drive: 5 GB HD space
  • Sound: DirectX Compatible

Recommended:

• Processor: 2.4 GHz Quad Core Processor or Better
  • Memory: 4 GB RAM
  • Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6950 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560
  • DirectX: 9.0
  • Hard Drive: 5 GB HD space
  • Sound: DirectX Compatible

Not exactly Crysis levels of hardware needed for this one, which is nice; the quad core CPU might be pushing it for some folks but a GTX 560 is pretty much baseline equipment for any kind of gaming PC these days.

Interceptor also announced that Rise of the Triad will be released DRM-free on GOG and Green Man Gaming as well as on Steam. We still don't have a hard release date, but look for it to arrive sometime this summer.

Holy crap, I recognise this cover art, my dad had this game for computer.

God, I remember seeing a cd case with that cover art when I was 8, if not younger.

Will definitely be picking it up when it comes out.

dumbseizure:

And suddenly I feel very, very old.

I remember seeing the first game play trailer for this, moving around at sprinting speed and tons of gratuitous violence. I just sat there thinking, "This is what was missing from Duke Nukem Forever".

And I do remember playing this along with Ultimate Doom, Heretic, and Hexen on an old Win 95 family computer...

Hm I didn't know about this. I tried to play the original about 10 years ago (when it was already almost a decade old) and the game felt exactly like many games of the era... Some funny ideas, but really bland in execution (compared to later releases). But I remember you could destroy some world geometry and use it to kill enemies. Stuff like that is needed in the modern games.

Andy Chalk:

dumbseizure:

It was not my intention to make anyone feel old!

I swear! Honest!

Andy Chalk:

• Well thank goodness the graphics budget was held back else this game would have required fifteen geforce titans to run. Is optimization a lost Dwarvern tradition now?

Also, the older cover was better. The overall composition and dynamic postures of the people is more appealing in the 1995 version. The man looks like a Ken doll and the lady seems like she just isn't feeling it.

I also notice how the antagonists have dropped their Nazi uniforms and are now wearing Soviet ones.

For the increase in system requirements, I hope you can run the original RTL and RTC files with the game.

Okay I looked it up and it's actually not a reboot, but remake. I.e. the same square-box-shaped bland levels just with fancier textures and shaders. And, of course, all the devs are showing is the multiplayer. Because nobody ever plays anything else but multiplayer.

Sigh. I was hoping for a mayhemy SP shooter in the RotT style, not a 1:1 remake.

Roxor:
    For the increase in system requirements, I hope you can run the original RTL and RTC files with the game.

Since it's Unreal Engine, hardly.

Andy Chalk:

dumbseizure:

Ouch, its even worse when you realize your own kid was born just after the first iteration of the CounterStrike mod. And then you realize you're counting time by game/mod release dates.

Andy Chalk:

Not exactly Crysis levels of hardware needed for this one, which is nice; the quad core CPU might be pushing it for some folks but a GTX 560 is pretty much baseline equipment for any kind of gaming PC these days.

Why do people still insist that Crysis is hard to get running? Its minimum requirements are a single core Pentium 4 and a Geforce 6800...

wow, a game i have seen once at a friends place. might get it.

Huh, the box art makes me think its a tactical turn based game like some old school games, certainly doesn't make me think first person shooter.

munx13:

Andy Chalk:

Why do people still insist that Crysis is hard to get running? Its minimum requirements are a single core Pentium 4 and a Geforce 6800...

It's more of a reference point than anything else. When Crysis was released only the newest, most powerful, and most expensive computers (at the time) could run it in an acceptable manner, let alone maxed out. Enjoy your slideshow if you try to run it on the minimum specs.

So when people say "Crysis-level" they mean it's time to mortgage the house to buy that new graphics card.
    "Not-quite-Crysis-level" means "normal" gaming machines should be fine with it.

CrossLOPER:

Andy Chalk:

• Well thank goodness the graphics budget was held back else this game would have required fifteen geforce titans to run. Is optimization a lost Dwarvern tradition now?

Lost Dwarven tradition indeed.

It's one of the reasons I gave up on CoD. Each console iteration runs beautifully, with basically the same engine and tech under the hood. Each PC release has required progressively more and more powerful specs for the same game and engine, to the point that Black Ops was so terribly optimized anything less than a quad core was worthless. Keeping in mind that CoD4 had PC requirements in the sub-Crysis range...

Ludicrous Gibs! Thats heavy system requirements for a basic shooter.

Something is wrong. The new box art has LESS boob than the old box art.

Kai Holwerda:

They had to cut down on the system requirements somehow. Any boobage and it would overwhelm your hard drive.

Plus now they're fighting Russians so it's colder.

Kai Holwerda:

They probably don't want to deal with Feminist backlash while securing the cleavage loving demographic.

Andy Chalk:

dumbseizure:

You and me both mate. I was in my late teens when I RotT was released *sigh*

.... I wish someone would announce a reboot of Carmageddon. That game was brilliant. We used to play that networked during "study" week back in my university days.

But there is a Carmageddon reboot! It was Kickstarted! It's coming! http://www.carmageddon.com/reincarnation

Sgt. Sykes:
    Okay I looked it up and it's actually not a reboot, but remake. I.e. the same square-box-shaped bland levels just with fancier textures and shaders. And, of course, all the devs are showing is the multiplayer. Because nobody ever plays anything else but multiplayer.

Sigh. I was hoping for a mayhemy SP shooter in the RotT style, not a 1:1 remake.

Roxor:

Since it's Unreal Engine, hardly.

Bah. That's no excuse. They could write a RTL2unreal conversion program. Use a rectangular prism for each solid grid square in the RTL map and whatever primitives the unreal engine supplies for mobile pieces of the environment to make the pushwalls and wanderwalls.

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54106)