Zombie Apocalypse Title Asks You To Craft Your Way To Survival

Zombie Apocalypse Title Asks You To Craft Your Way To Survival

7 Days To Die is looking a bit pre-alpha at the moment, but the possibilities are intriguing.

Zombie apocalypse title 7 Days To Die's first trailer - chock full of pre-alpha footage, mind you - offers up some intriguing possibilities; imagine what it'd be like to defend that house, day in, day out. You're scavenging through the ruins of a nuclear-war torn Arizona one minute, digging punji pits and hammering boards the next, because come nightfall, they hunt you. Better be ready!

Developers The Fun Pimps are putting together a massive, fully destructible world for your terrified survivor to scrabble around in. You can build your own defences of course, but be warned, the physics engine will punish you if what you put up isn't structurally sound. That rumbling noise could be the roof about to cave in on your luckless head. Or your could just blow it up yourself, if you're the sort that likes playing pyromaniac. But the big attraction here is the crafting system, in which you'll create "hundreds of weapons, items and traps," say the Fun Pimps. To get materials you'll be mining, looting, and hoping all the while nothing shows up to munch on your unfortunate behind. Gameplay can be solo, co-op, or something called "zombie nomad," which presumably has you wandering through a pastoral wonderland, patting fluffy bunnies on the head. Or possibly not.

If this is the sort of thing that intrigues you, head over here for a closer look. It's very early days yet, but this could be something to sink your teeth into.

Source: PC Gamer

It looks and seems to play an awful lot like Minecraft. Not that, that is a bad thing, just that I wonder if the game grew from a Minecraft mod that got too big for its original confines.

So it's a Minecraft zombie game? This actually looks quite interesting, I kinda like this concept.

that actually looks really interesting. ive got dead state which im patiently waiting for but another game of survival with zombies looks interesting

So Minecraft with guns, physics and slightly more fancy graphics?

Oh wow, people weren't just abusing the usual hyperbole, this really does look very similar to MC.

Unfortunately I'll have to pass. I'm sick to death of zombies and MC does MC better than anyone else.

I very much like the idea behind it, there aren't any proper zombie survival games out there, and this could fill that niche. Although I don't particularly like the mix between minecraft and "realistic" visual design. It has the blockiness of minecraft, but the zombies and human character don't really blend in well.

I'd prefer it if you didn't get to build full houses, but instead got a randomly generated world where you get buildings, but can choose to install defences and traps. This seems a little too much like minecraft.

I am also concerned that it will be in alpha by July, but released in Fall (according to the website). Can they really get the game up to scratch that quickly?

I like zombie games, but I am kind of tired of the sheer amount of bad ones.

Did this just check of the list of the most completely overused mechanics in the indie scene and jam them into a game?
Crafting/survival games are not going to get a shot in the arm by putting zombies in it. Zombies are done. They're not interesting anymore, stop using them.

An FPS minecraft with what appears to be a legitimate threat. It's really what I've always wanted...

So... it's 'Day Z' without getting killed by fellow players every 5 minutes? That alone would make it worth buying. But also: 'Minecraft'. So I would say that this is one to watch.

Took me a little while to recognise it, but I swear that's a mildly remixed version of John Murphy's "In the House, In a Heartbeat" - otherwise known as the 28 Days Later theme. So... is there a mild copyright infringement going on here, or did they get permission? Especially when combined with the minecraft-esque set up...

That looks like a fun Minecraft clone that adds some extra stuff to it. Looks like fun.

AC10:
Did this just check of the list of the most completely overused mechanics in the indie scene and jam them into a game?
Crafting/survival games are not going to get a shot in the arm by putting zombies in it. Zombies are done. They're not interesting anymore, stop using them.

Some people like zombies still, just because you dont doesnt mean that others should stop liking them.

OT: Looks interesting, not sure how I like the "lol we are gonna come through the wall!" critters though

AC10:

Speak for yourself. Nobody goes ripping on your niche. There are people who are genuinely excited about this game, i.e.

wombat_of_war:
that actually looks really interesting. ive got dead state which im patiently waiting for but another game of survival with zombies looks interesting

and

Lightknight:
An FPS minecraft with what appears to be a legitimate threat. It's really what I've always wanted...

Zombie, shmombie. Don't put enemies in a game, make it all about crafting and developers will still make a boring, grind of an item/crafting system. No, managing hundreds of items and gathering hundreds of quantities of materials for combining, "plopping" and/or pushing wheelbarrows of overburdening junk to a special spot that poops out an item for you is not fun or interesting to me when I could be wasting my time with actual entertainment.

I get why Minecraft is so popular, it's all about freedom and intrigue, and this game captures a lot of that and defines itself with a mission. That's about all it has going for it, in my opinion; the actual creation process is still an insipid joke.

Can never have enough Survival games (not many good ones come out, mods don't count), can never have enough zombies to kill. (Rule of Thumb)

7 Days To Die, I don't know why, but that name has a nice Ring to it.
Wish they had a better narrator voice though.

DVS BSTrD:

Yeah, one that knows how to pronounce "nuclear".

Matt Gleason:

DVS BSTrD:

Yeah, one that knows how to pronounce "nuclear".

Not only that, but he has about as much inflection as Microsoft Sam.

You'd think atomic fire would be pretty good at sterilizing the landscape of any unknown viruses. Then again, I'm the sort that goes to an action movie, counts shots, and then complains when they get the clip sizes wrong. So maybe I should just let it go.

Backstory aside, seems like a lot of zombie games already include crafting. Dead Rising and Dead Island had those gonzo crafted weapons. Black Ops II Zombies includes (somewhat limited) defensive fortifications. Terraria allowed full, albeit 2 dimensional, building of walls, pits, and other defenses against the nightly zombie hordes (and the occasional goblin army). Heck, even Minecraft itself has zombies that come out at night, so you better build a well-lit shelter in your first day!

While generating early buzz isn't necessarily a bad thing, I'm not seeing a whole lot yet to differentiate the features in this title from those already on the market. Still, I'll keep an eye on it during its development.

Yopaz:
So it's a Minecraft zombie game? This actually looks quite interesting, I kinda like this concept.

Uh, Minecraft IS a zombie game.

KeyMaster45:
It looks and seems to play an awful lot like Minecraft. Not that, that is a bad thing, just that I wonder if the game grew from a Minecraft mod that got too big for its original confines.

I'm betting this is the case. Not only are the crafting recipes shown in the trailer identical to MC, but when he destroys the sand/premade structures they fall exactly as sand/premade structures do in MC.

Really though, this is identical to Minecraft, except with guns.

I'm all for people doing what they can to turn a profit, but does the world really need another "not-Minecraft" game? I say no. I already have Minecraft.

Captcha: big nose
MC villagers do have big noses. Wouldn't be surprised if 7DTD just 'happened' to have them too ;)

Graphical overhaul (not anything super high end, just a little more dynamic and realistic than the obvious blocks) and maybe like 8 player co-op? I am SOLD.

Weird clash of blocky with realistic, jarring but I can deal with it.

Running zombies? Nope.

You know.. that looks really fun. It is similar to Minecraft (even how you craft things have the same structure) but I am digging the atmosphere and how you build traps. Though, I don't like how the zombies can break your house's wall. I mean, isn't it suppose to be wood/bricks thus the zombies have to go around it?

I guess that's something we have to figure out in avoiding. Overall, looks great and the graphics are much appreciated. Though zombies are a bit... overdone now.

wombat_of_war:

Look up State of Decay. It'll be out for XBox Live soon, and PC later. I've been following the development and will get it when it's out on PC. Very excited for it.

OT: Way too much like Minecraft, especially showing the pickaxe recipe means it's a complete knock-off in that respect and as soon as I saw that (and that the UI looks exactly the same), I lost all respect and desire for the game.

Can this game decide on a visual style? Some parts like the character models and wastelands look realistic whilst the countryside shown is undoubtedly Minecraft. People complain about Minecraft's graphics but at least it had a consistent style.

Boy, when them zambies come runnin', you'd better get in the house, in a heartbeat.

Doesn't look interesting to me so I'll pass.

Hope whoever gets it have fun though!

The shameless rip-off of Minecraft's entire game play system would've made this look bad enough, but sprinting zombies as well? Zombies don't sprint. They shamble. Their intimidation factor should come from their sheer, seemingly endless numbers and unrelenting march, how nothing you seem to do does so much as dent their numbers, knowing that when you stop to rest, they're still slowly marching, and eventually you won't be able to run any longer, and their reaching you isn't a question of 'if' so much as it is a question of 'when.' Not their charging at you like they're having a friggin' spaz attack...

piinyouri:
Oh wow, people weren't just abusing the usual hyperbole, this really does look very similar to MC.

Unfortunately I'll have to pass. I'm sick to death of zombies and MC does MC better than anyone else.

Have you seen TUG yet?

I'm hopeful for it :).

Farther than stars:

AC10:

Speak for yourself. Nobody goes ripping on your niche. There are people who are genuinely excited about this game, i.e.

Who was I speaking for, if not myself?

Why on earth would you board up the windows if the zombies can just punch through the fucking walls?

So basically minecraft survival mode the way it should have been done?
Count me in!

AC10:
Zombies are done. They're not interesting anymore, stop using them.

No thier not. I am interested in zombies and i like zombies and i want more zombies. just because you dont want more zombies does not mean noone wants.

I'll have to keep an eye on this. An actual SURVIVAL horror game.

Oh, a zombie shooting game. That's so completely original, how come no one ever came up with this before!?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here