Limbo Landing on Vita Next Week

Limbo Landing on Vita Next Week

limbo

Playdead has announced its game Limbo will be joining the Vita library on June 4th.

It's no secret that Sony has been working hard to expand the presence of indie games on PlayStation platforms. Recent efforts by the company have wooed acclaimed titles like Hotline Miami, Lone Survivor and Thomas Was Alone to Sony hardware. Now, it's been announced that a modern indie classic will soon be widening its reach to include the Vita. Playdead's Dino Patti has revealed that its game Limbo will be releasing on the Vita next week on June 4th.

"As we approach the third anniversary of LIMBO, the game is finally ready for handheld devices," said Patti. "Together, with the talented people at Double Eleven, we at Playdead have been working hard to adapt LIMBO to PS Vita without compromising the experience." Limbo, which follows the journey of a young boy through a black and white world of gruesome platforming, was originally released on Xbox Live Arcade in July of 2010, with PS3 and PC versions following in 2011. The game would wind up being one of the biggest indie success stories of the past few years, selling more than 300,000 copies in its first month and many, many more in the years to follow.

It's somewhat arguable that the release of Limbo's Vita version isn't a big deal at this point. After all, it's been several years since the game's original release and it's already been bought and played by millions of gamers. That being the case, it's nonetheless a welcome addition the Vita's library and perhaps another sign of the Vita developing into a strong platform for independent games and their developers.

Source: PlayStation Blog

Oh man, if the Vita can be a landing zone for Indie games that would be fantastic. I'm actually getting a little tired of being stuck at my desktop playing games that don't require much processing.

Lightknight:
..I'm actually getting a little tired of being stuck at my desktop playing games that don't require much processing.

True 'dat.

I've been seeing some discussion by the FTL guy(s) about a possible Vita port.... hhhhnnnnrrrguuuuuh.....

Lightknight:
Oh man, if the Vita can be a landing zone for Indie games that would be fantastic. I'm actually getting a little tired of being stuck at my desktop playing games that don't require much processing.

True enough, but then again is Limbo the sort of Indie game you'd buy for a handheld? When I got it I couldn't stop playing until the conclusion, which would probably have made me miss my stop on a bus or train. Something like Super Meat Boy would be a great fit though.

kailus13:

Lightknight:

True enough, but then again is Limbo the sort of Indie game you'd buy for a handheld? When I got it I couldn't stop playing until the conclusion, which would probably have made me miss my stop on a bus or train. Something like Super Meat Boy would be a great fit though.

Any game that is able to be played on the Vita would be great. I'd enjoy being able to play the game in the living room while my wife watches TV. Limbo really lends itself to the wide screen format and the controls are simple enough. The game isn't really that long either.

I can think of a number of other titles I'd want there too. Recettear, FTL (if they can figure out a way for it to be easily controlled. Seems like it could fall into the same issue RTS's do on consoles but the touch screen may forever change that dynamic), Bastion, Eufloria, various platforms and etc. It would also be an ideal system for adventure games where you can actually select points of interest with the touch screen.

If they seriously went this route I could see myself buying a decent list of games for it. At the end of the day, there's really no reason for them not to pursue this. If Limbo proves to be the opening of the flood gates for indie games designed for the Vita then we're talking about it having a legitimate 3rd party dev base for once.

I would buy a vita if they had limbo, super meat boy, walking dead oh wait. The walking dead is... Where's my wallet? It's about time Sony woke up and started using the vita properly.

luvd1:
I would buy a vita if they had limbo, super meat boy, walking dead oh wait. The walking dead is... Where's my wallet? It's about time Sony woke up and started using the vita properly.

Whoa, not sure how I missed that:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-25-telltales-the-walking-dead-re-animated-for-playstation-vita

Again, I marvel at the fact that this is the same sony I've been bitching about for years regarding how they've been losing touch with their consumer. They seem to be in sync now. Maybe this thing is cyclical and the ps5 will drop the ball while the Xbtwo picks up the slack.

NINTENDO, see that!? Pick up the pace, clean up your shitty eShop and drag developers to the 3DS. I don't want to be jealous of the Vita anymore for having all the awesome indie games :C

Also, the aesthetics of Limbo would probably be quite nice in 3D

OT: good for the Vita. I'm glad the powerful little bugger is picking up some steam. Competition pushes everyone to greater heights.

I never bought this game but I played the demo and liked it. Now that I can play it on a portable system, there's no reason not to get it. I'm also looking forward to Lone Survivor coming to vita in July

TJC:
NINTENDO, see that!? Pick up the pace, clean up your shitty eShop and drag developers to the 3DS. I don't want to be jealous of the Vita anymore for having all the awesome indie games :C

Also, the aesthetics of Limbo would probably be quite nice in 3D

OT: good for the Vita. I'm glad the powerful little bugger is picking up some steam. Competition pushes everyone to greater heights.

We need more positive people like you. Speaking of console jealousy... Atlas, when are you announcing that vita port of Shin Megami Tensei IV???

TJC:

It's certainly making me happier with the Vita than I would have been with a Tablet. If this ball keeps rolling the Vita could be seen as a fairly cheap but powerful tablet.

Also: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/05/how-to-turn-your-playstation-vita-into-a-cell-phone/

It's not really something you'd want to keep in your pocket but I can see a future where gamers have a legitimate gaming phone. I just hope the Vita does well.

Lightknight:

luvd1:

Whoa, not sure how I missed that:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-25-telltales-the-walking-dead-re-animated-for-playstation-vita

Again, I marvel at the fact that this is the same sony I've been bitching about for years regarding how they've been losing touch with their consumer. They seem to be in sync now. Maybe this thing is cyclical and the ps5 will drop the ball while the Xbtwo picks up the slack.

Oh lordy, how have I not heard about this?

I got a Vita a few months ago, and (mainly due to financial straits) haven't gotten a lot of use from it.

Between that and Persona 4: Golden, my body is ready.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here