Dead Island: Riptide Ad Gets a Booting Down Under

Dead Island: Riptide Ad Gets a Booting Down Under

An advertisement for Dead Island: Riptide featuring trapped lovers who go out with a bang is a little too much for Australian censors to abide.

You've probably seen the ad for Dead Island: Riptide in which a couple taking a romantic sailboat cruise suddenly finds themselves beached and surrounded by ravenous zombies. (And if you haven't, now's your big chance.) It's not nearly as tear-jerky as the famous CGI trailer that preceded the launch of the original Dead Island, but it's very much in the same vein: touching, tragic and, if you don't know what's coming, unexpected. It's also, in the eyes of the Australian Advertising Standards Bureau, completely inappropriate for television.

The Advertising Standards Bureau received complaints about the spot relating primarily to - spoiler alert, by the way - its depiction of suicide. The Australian publisher of the game, AIE, defended it as "intended to convey the desolate terror afflicting the game characters [and] contextually relevant to the product being advertised, as it conveys the hopelessness of the games' characters as they are faced with the overwhelming horror and violence of vast numbers of zombies hunting them," and also pointed out that there's no actual portrayal of zombie vs. human violence in the ad. But that didn't hold water with the ASB.

"The Board noted that the issue of suicide is a very significant community concern and considered that the use of images which are strongly suggestive of suicide is not appropriate in the context of a television advertisement for a computer game," the ASB wrote in its case report. "The Board considered that by presenting images which suggest suicide the advertisement does depict material which is contrary to Prevailing Community Standards on health and safety."

The ruling came in spite of the fact that the ASB also noted that the ad appeared during an airing of UFC Unleashed - that's real-life cage fighting, for those unfamiliar with the title - and "is not inappropriate for an audience of UFC Unleashed which would be unlikely to include young children."

AIE said in response to the ruling that it is "disappointed... that a depiction of suicide in an overtly fantastical setting is an unjustifiable depiction of violence," but has replaced the ad with something less offensive.

Souce: Advertising Standards Bureau, via Kotaku

That's... bizarre.

I live in Australia. As a child I remember being horrified by a workplace safety ad I saw in which a blindfolded man is put in a room with a giant bear trap. He stumbles and gropes about for a bit, then moments before he puts his hand on the trap the camera cuts away and there's a loud metallic "snap" sound.

That was at least 15 years ago. The fact that I still remember it says a lot.

Where were you then, ASB?!

Australian logic: bans the only good part about Dead Island. The trailer.

But seriously, this is retarded. People can watch UFC, just proper cage fighting yeah that's fine, but a depiction of suicide (not likely to drive suicidal people off the edge, they're not exactly worried about zombies) is bad? Yep, whatever.

While you're at it, ban the anti-smoking ads. I'm a non-smoker but those ads creep me the fuck out. I don't want to see how much fucking tar is in a smoker's fucking lungs, okay?

Does anyone else think the commercial should have just ended at the lighter flick? That explosion looked really corny and added nothing.

Anyway, funny to see they're still going with the "advertisement way more dramatic and interesting than the actual game" route after the mild backlash the last game received for that. I guess the bottom line is that it gets people curious.

But is it misogynistic?

sethisjimmy:
Does anyone else think the commercial should have just ended at the lighter flick? That explosion looked really corny and added nothing.

Subtlety, much like engine optimization, is for nerds.

Really? Another super somber trailer for a game that doesn't even take itself that seriously? Give me a break.

sethisjimmy:

Anyway, funny to see they're still going with the "advertisement way more dramatic and interesting than the actual game" route after the mild backlash the last game received for that. I guess the bottom line is that it gets people curious.

Yeah, I agree with both points. Should have ended with the lighter and they make trailers that are actually interesting and emotional (using that word in a positive way) while the actual game is neither.

I think it's strange that it's getting a ban though, but I guess that's how things go.

They can take or leave it if they please.

Bernzz:

But seriously, this is retarded. People can watch UFC, just proper cage fighting yeah that's fine, but a depiction of suicide (not likely to drive suicidal people off the edge, they're not exactly worried about zombies) is bad? Yep, whatever.

While you're at it, ban the anti-smoking ads. I'm a non-smoker but those ads creep me the fuck out. I don't want to see how much fucking tar is in a smoker's fucking lungs, okay?

You haven't seen the ones where they tell you cigarettes have the same contents as cat piss. I'll let you guess just how they chose to emphasize this fact.

sethisjimmy:

Definitely. Flick the lighter, go to black, roll credits. Would've been so much more impactful. I imagine somebody somewhere said, "HAY PEOPLE LIKE SPLOSIONS" and in the world of mass marketing, that settled it.

I thought that trailer was actually quite compelling and emotional.

Y'know, that kind of thing videogames have been striving for since, like, the 90's?

a couple of weeks after release it was pretty much on every second comercial break on cable tv here in australia so they still got plenty of coverage

I really don't see much game advertisements on Australian TV anyway so they're missing out on a sweet cut of nothing. I don't think this will affect game sales one way or the other.

Zhukov:
That's... bizarre.

I live in Australia. As a child I remember being horrified by a workplace safety ad I saw in which a blindfolded man is put in a room with a giant bear trap. He stumbles and gropes about for a bit, then moments before he puts his hand on the trap the camera cuts away and there's a loud metallic "snap" sound.

What about all those work safe ones where we saw people falling and breaking and shattering ribs in gory Mortal Kombat detail?

Bernzz:
*snip*

Then complain, that's how this add got banned, personally I'm tempted to complain too except that I don't watch TV anymore so bearly see them lol.

DVS BSTrD:
They can take or leave it if they please.

Bernzz:

You haven't seen the ones where they tell you cigarettes have the same contents as cat piss. I'll let you guess just how they chose to emphasize this fact.

it brings on many changes

But are any of them good for the gameplay, or will it be a mish-M.A.S.H. of poorly thought out ideas again?

Bernzz:

But after seeing those ads, it doesn't make you want to start anytime soon, does it?

I'd say it did its job.

I actually hadn't seen that trailer before.

I gotta say, compared to the one for the original game, this was nothing. The trailer for the first game was downright brutal, while this was completely weaksauce.

The two trailers do have one thing in common, though. Both say absolutely nothing about what the actual game will be like, so... props for consistency, I guess.

As an Australian...I'll just keep waiting for all these ASB people to die of old age, then maybe we'll be able to look like a mature country again.

Zhukov:
That's... bizarre.

We still get some really bad TAC ads as well. IF you're squeamish then you probably shouldn't watch these.

I don't understand how we can have ads like those but we can't have the Dead Island: Riptide trailer. Is it because it's there to promote safety and scare people away from doing stupid shit?

MrStab:

I don't understand how we can have ads like those but we can't have the Dead Island: Riptide trailer.

the use of images which are strongly suggestive of suicide is not appropriate in the context of a television advertisement for a computer game

Maybe they'd reconsider it if it was a trailer for a movie, but for a "computer game", suicide is apparently a no no.

Easton Dark:

Maybe they'd reconsider it if it was a trailer for a movie, but for a "computer game", suicide is apparently a no no.

Likely because many uninformed individuals and so called do-gooders still think that video games are for children. I've seen a lot of people comment about how we shouldn't be concerned whether non-gamers take the medium seriously or not, but this demonstrates exactly why we should be concerned about it. A lack of respect for the medium can cause unjustified reactions to its content, just like this one, and limit freedom for those who don't live in countries where video games are protected speech.

Clearly the mistake they made was not having it play backwards in slow motion

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Bernzz:

But after seeing those ads, it doesn't make you want to start anytime soon, does it?

I'd say it did its job.

I've never been remotely inclined to smoke, so it's lost on me entirely. The smokers I have known throughout my life have been entirely indifferent to those ads.

To be honest, I was dramatising the fuck out of that sentence, but my point is, if a depiction of suicide (and not even bloody suicide at that, we don't even see the couple get immolated) can be banned during UFC...but showing someone slowly pushing tar out of a vague organ-like substance is fine? It's a little bit odd, is all.

Cage fighting - ok for kids
depiction of a video game - ban this horror before they see it.

awesome logic.

Also just another event in a huge pile that should have tipped over ande crushed the censorts a long time ago.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

I'd say it did its job.

We have similar smoking ads here. At one point there used to be "smoking does this" images on the packs of cigarettes that were created to repel kids from smoking. the result - i know kids who started smoking just so they could collect all of those gross images.

Strazdas:
Cage fighting - ok for kids
depiction of a video game - ban this horror before they see it.

awesome logic.

Also just another event in a huge pile that should have tipped over ande crushed the censorts a long time ago.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

I'd say it did its job.

We have similar smoking ads here. At one point there used to be "smoking does this" images on the packs of cigarettes that were created to repel kids from smoking. the result - i know kids who started smoking just so they could collect all of those gross images.

Well, UFC is a professional sport. Nothing wrong with that.

Then again, there was nothing worse in a video game trailer than would be in your average horror movie trailer, so the hypocrisy is pretty thick there.

This series needs to get a heavy revamp as it's first outing was a super pretty trailer and one of the worst games I played last year.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Then again, there was nothing worse in a video game trailer than would be in your average horror movie trailer, so the hypocrisy is pretty thick there.

plenty of wrong with UFC being an actual sport.

Strazdas:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Why, it's a practice of wrestling, martial arts and boxing. Every person stepping into the octagon does it of their own free will, and the rules of the UFC make it far safer than any other combat sport on the planet.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Strazdas:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Why, it's a practice of wrestling, martial arts and boxing. Every person stepping into the octagon does it of their own free will, and the rules of the UFC make it far safer than any other combat sport on the planet.

Any practice where you beat other people for sport should not be encouraged.
UFC makes it safer due to it being acted out perhaps.

Strazdas:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Strazdas:

Like American Football, Rugby, Boxing, Wrestling, and other forms of Martial Arts?

Also... acted out? Implying that UFC is staged or fake?

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Strazdas:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Like American Football, Rugby, Boxing, Wrestling, and other forms of Martial Arts?

So the goal of Handegg and Rugby is to beat up other team players? News to me.
Boxing and wrestling - yes.

Also... yes.

Strazdas:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Strazdas:

So the goal of Handegg and Rugby is to beat up other team players? News to me.
Boxing and wrestling - yes.

Also... yes.

The goal on defense in both rugby and american football is to inflict as much harm as possible on the person with possession of the ball. I'd say it qualifies.

On point two, any evidence to support the fights being rigged? Because after watching Maurico Rua's arm get snapped like a twig, or Tim Sylvia have his neck broken, or multiple fighters get turned into burger, I'd be willing to doubt it very much, at least at the level of StrikeForce or the UFC.

NameIsRobertPaulson:
[quote="Strazdas" post="7.409294.17134426"]
The goal on defense in both rugby and american football is to inflict as much harm as possible on the person with possession of the ball. I'd say it qualifies.

On point two, any evidence to support the fights being rigged? Because after watching Maurico Rua's arm get snapped like a twig, or Tim Sylvia have his neck broken, or multiple fighters get turned into burger, I'd be willing to doubt it very much, at least at the level of StrikeForce or the UFC.

Yes, in that case it does qualify.

As for rigging, multiple fighters have came out of the "sport" and told there were riging. any reasoanble evidence woudl of course result in fines, duh. Im not saying all fights are rigged, but there are plenty, like all sports. And it could be i was thinking of WWE during OP thiknig it was more rigged as those like to be actors and not rights.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here