Grumpy Cat Going to Hollywood

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Grumpy Cat Going to Hollywood

Grumpy Cat

The producer behind xXx and Anger Management wants the Grumpy Cat meme to become a full-length family film.

There's a saying that movies can be made about anything, but whoever coined this phrase probably wasn't referring to internet memes. It looks like nobody mentioned that detail to Todd Garner, the Hollywood producer behind xXx and Anger Management, who personally believes that Grumpy Cat might become the next big thing in Hollywood. Working with fellow producer Sean Robins, as well as Grumpy Cat representatives Ben Lashes and Al Hassas, Garner is preparing a full-length feature film about the internet's frustrated feline. According to Deadline, the Grumpy Cat movie will be a Garfield-like family film bestowing speech to its central character, all the better for expressing her displeasure.

"This started off as a picture of a cat, but rare is an image that evokes that much comedy," Garner said. "You read all of the memes and the comments, and one is funnier than the next. We think we can build a big family comedy around this character."

As bewildering as the idea may be, from a producer's perspective, this movie makes a lot of sense. Grumpy Cat's YouTube channel has over 20 million views, while appearances on shows like Good Morning America prompted thousands to line up across entire city blocks. Even better, Grumpy Cat is worth obscene amounts of money from merchandise and licensing options, as can be seen across retail and online storefronts. No matter how good or bad Grumpy Cat: The Movie turns out to be, it stands to make millions simply by existing.

So since Grumpy Cat has financial backing, do any producers out there want to greenlight my new Broadway musical? It's called ERMAHGERD: A Tale of Memes and Magic.

Source: Deadline, via IGN

This just in: The Matrix to be remade, with specific focus to be paid towards Laurence Fishburne's "What if I told you..." line.

Pictured: Grumpy cat's reaction to the news that Hollywood has sunk this low...

Well, that's one way to kill a meme.

Madness. Madness upon stupidity.

No cat, do your thing!

I mean really, this sounds absolutely terrible!

I'm feeling a little woozy from smacking my head on the table so many times, not so much in anger as in just trying to get up only to have the will to live instantly sucked out of me every second I think about this.

Here's hoping he teams up with JohnTron to make "Game Grumps: the Quest for cheeseburger!"

[sigh]

This is gonna become a thing, isn't it?

I knew this would happen after Annoying Orange & Fred got their own made-for-tv movies... I just... I'd hoped it'd take longer to catch on...

I thought this was a joke on Facebook...

Whelp, I'll take my little brother to go see it. Why the fuck not?

Now I'm grumpy for being reminded that I watched xXx and Anger Management.

Hollywood has officially scratched through the bottom of the barrel and fallen into the abyss. Also it's a family movie, really? Because when I think of memes, I think family entertainment and not a website full of trolls and wannabe Anonymous members.

Everyone is missing the point! Fanghawk states the real reason.

Fanghawk:
Even better, Grumpy Cat is worth obscene amounts of money from merchandise and licensing options, as can be seen across retail and online storefronts. No matter how good or bad Grumpy Cat: The Movie turns out to be, it stands to make millions simply by existing.

Hollywood KNOWS it will be terrible. They don't care. By creating their movie they intend to lay claim to the meme itself, thus taking in whatever profits would otherwise go to the cat's owners as well as the potential profits another dumb talking animal film will get. This movie doesn't even have a high marketing cost because the internet has already done it for them.

Fanghawk:
Working with fellow producer Sean Robins, as well as Grumpy Cat representatives Ben Lashes and Al Hassas, Garner is preparing a full-length feature film about the internet's frustrated feline.

As stupid as this is, I hope that the "Grumpy Cat representatives" manage to maintain some control of this property. If the owners of grumpy cat can make money off of the fame the meme they made has then I'd give them a high five. I just don't want another situation where Hollywood steals the IP from people who could probably use the money more than they.

The real problem I see with this is that by the time pre-production is over, the script is written, the filming is done, the CGI is added, and it hits theaters, this won't be near as much of a "thing". Unless it crosses over into some kind of super-irony where people in 2015 watch it to laugh at how angry cat used to be a thing. I foresee similar problems with the Angry Birds movie we're supposed to get in 2015-2016. What the hell, world.

seriously it's already almost dead this just makes me weep on the inside

They might as well make a Rick Roll movie. Just two hours of the music video looped over and over again. Over and over and over. And over and over. Or make a 'Meme Movie' movie and give all the tired old memes another shot, it will be simultaneously shit and nostalgic which is what Hollywood is in to this decade.

A family film? About Grumpy Cat?
Sure.....

Nothing says "Family Movie" like....

Well, like MovieBob says, "You CAN make a good movie about anything."
But what is this really going to be?
An angrier version of Garfield?

Soooo basically it's "Garfield 3?"

Fappy:

:/ Because you love your brother and care about his wellbeing?

Eh, to be less dramatic, it could end up being good.

I mean hell, how would people have reacted to the idea of a movie about the secret lives of inanimate objects before Toy Story, or The Brave Little Toaster?

Not that I think it will, but we'll see.

@Kopikatsu: why you no tell us you were actor?

"It's so simple step one we find the worst script ever written, step two we hire the worst director in town, step three i raise two million dollars, step four we hire the worst actors and open in hollywood and before you say step five we bomb, take our two million and go to Rio!"

modified a quote from the producers, but i imagine the thought process is the same here.

this is just a quick cash grab by a sleazy idiot

It actually happened. I can't believe it. A cat on the internet got so popular someone is making a movie about it. A big budget Hollywood movie no less.

I honestly never thought I'd see the day.

so we are not getting at the mountains of madness but we get this shit which will turn out to be incredibly generic and 90% of the target audience probably have no idea this meme existed by the time the movie is released.

fuck this i am going to bed

Yay, now if you post a pic of a meme, you can be served with a DMCA takedown notice... Whee...

A movie about cats? I'm in.

Okay, I like Grumpy Cat, but not enough to want a movie about her. I'm happy just looking at the various funny images of her.

Imp Emissary:

Like this one.

Captcha: marry me

This seems a bit out of character for you Grumpy Cat.

scorptatious:
Okay, I like Grumpy Cat, but not enough to want a movie about her. I'm happy just looking at the various funny images of her.

Imp Emissary:

Like this one.

Captcha: marry me

This seems a bit out of character for you Grumpy Cat.

It's cause Grumpy Cat wants to have a divorce. ;)

Fappy:

...Why would you torture your little brother!?

OT: I find it sad when Hollywood tries to do things like this so that they can try to remain relevant in this day. I'm honestly surprised this didn't happen sooner though given that Annoying Orange has a TV show and Fred has had like 3 movies and a TV show.

...and somewhere in the distance, a producer who has tried for years to get a work of art green-lit by a studio hangs himself.

MiskWisk:
No cat, do your thing!

I mean really, this sounds absolutely terrible!

What the heck are they doing to that poor animal. It's like screaming in terror. Funny but awww poor kitty.

memes are becoming movies.... really?

Well at least insanity wolf might be good if it happens

Not gonna lie, I will watch the shit out of this movie.

Tartarga:
Hollywood has officially scratched through the bottom of the barrel and fallen into the abyss. Also it's a family movie, really? Because when I think of memes, I think family entertainment and not a website full of trolls and wannabe Anonymous members.

Yeah hollywood has entered a blackhole where there is no end. Hopefully UK or another country will roll in with some real movies soon enough :-)

I'm so gonna watch this..a movie about an angry cat whose an asshole sounds pretty damn hilarious.

A deep sound echos over the world...

*BOOM!*

A farmer in the Chinese lowlands puts down his shovel as the sound rolls across him...

*BOOM!*

Today was the day the Collective Internet, in unison, slammed their heads against their desks.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here