Doctor Who's Matt Smith Departing Show At Christmas

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Doctor Who's Matt Smith Departing Show At Christmas

The search for a new Time Lord begins.

"Doctor Who has been the most brilliant experience for me as an actor and a bloke," says Matt Smith, the current Gallifreyan in charge of the TARDIS, but the time has come for Smith to bow out. He'll be there for the Christmas special and the 50th Anniversary show, but that will be the last we'll see of Smith, the youngest actor to ever play the Doctor, in the title role. Smith, who's "incredibly proud" of the show and his time there, says Trenzalore calls. Now the search is on for a new actor to play the Doctor.

"Somewhere out there right now, all unknowing, just going about their business," says lead writer and executive producer Steven Moffatt, "is someone who's about to become the Doctor. A life is going to change, and Doctor Who will be born all over again!" Smith, only 27 when he got the part, had previously taken on small TV roles and one uncredited part in modern noir film In Bruges, but nothing quite like the Doctor; a role for which, he admitted at the time, he wasn't entirely prepared for. "I have to be honest," he said in a 2009 interview, "I can't claim to have watched the show in its entirety or have been a follower as avidly as some people are." In his departure announcement, Smith thanked his fans for welcoming his incarnation of the Doctor.

"It's been an honor to play this part, to follow the legacy of brilliant actors, and helm the TARDIS for a spell with 'the ginger, the nose and the impossible one'," said Smith in farewell. "But when ya gotta go, ya gotta go."

Source: BBC

Okay, Moffat, now is the time to move away from fairy tale whimsy and move back to a more grounded approach. Do something different with the next Doctor. Whether it's an older Doctor (new for NewWho) or a black Doctor or even a female Doctor. This is the time, Moffat! Don't faff it up!

As for Matt Smith ... it's been fun, Matt. You've given us plenty of fantastic episodes, performances and a very memorable Doctor. You'll be missed.

I thoroghly enjoyed Matt Smith as the Doctor. When season 5 started I couldn't help but resent him for not being David Tenant, but I soon felt thoroughly ashamed of myself; he brought his own unique quirky touch to the character and particcularly season 6 blew my mind to the void and back.

Am looking forward to see where the series goes next, but knowing Maffat it will be something quite unexpected. This is about to get interesting people.

Also, bow-ties are cool.

it is John Hurt as it was shown in the last episode 'introducing John Hurt as the doctor"
the one that will break his promise and reveal the name of the doctor

ayman03:
it is John Hurt as it was shown in the last episode 'introducing John Hurt as the doctor"

John Hurt is the ninth doctor is he not? The one who fought the time war, because Ecclestone refused to come back for the anniversary special.

Ronack:
Okay, Moffat, now is the time to move away from fairy tale whimsy and move back to a more grounded approach. Do something different with the next Doctor. Whether it's an older Doctor (new for NewWho) or a black Doctor or even a female Doctor. This is the time, Moffat! Don't faff it up!

I entirely agree with this statement. Moffat should seize this opportunity and change up his purely children's-show approach to Doctor Who.

As for Matt Smith, it's a bummer he had to follow up the Tennant/RTD duo, but I suppose he made the best of it.

I found out about this from the Bleeding Cool website but had to double check since their information is usually dubious. Now I wish this was just a rumor. =( I only watched the 2005 show once in awhile but never fully got into it until Matt Smith took the helm. Since then, I've slowly gotten into the classic Doctor Who episodes while keeping up with the Matt Smith era. It's a shame it had to end so soon. Still, its been a fun ride and I'm glad to have been apart of it.

Now the question must be asked... Who will be the next Doctor? Will it be John Hurt? Will the Doctor be played by a female for the first time? Or will the Doctor, at long last, be played by a ginger?

ZombieFanatic:

Ronack:

I entirely agree with this statement. Moffat should seize this opportunity and change up his borderline children's-show approach to Doctor Who.

As for Matt Smith, it's a bummer he had to follow up the Tennant/RTD duo, but I suppose he made the best of it.

The show has always been family oriented. It's about adventure and time travel. It's meant to excite the imaginations of children and to get them interested in history. To pretend anything else is to ignore the point of the show.

Ironside:

ayman03:

John Hurt is the ninth doctor is he not? The one who fought the time war, because Ecclestone refused to come back for the anniversary special.

The way I understood it, Hurt is a previously unseen incarnation of the Doctor, and is not counted as one of the Xth Doctors because of whatever it is that he did.

Well now they can pick someone off the cast of Narnia movies again
*fingers crossed for Eddie Izzard*

Karloff:

"It's been an honor to play this part, to follow the legacy of brilliant actors, and helm the TARDIS for a spell with 'the ginger, the nose and the impossible one'

No mention of 'the hairy one' then? Poor River.

Soooooo. Mr Moffat is looking to cast a new Doctor? coughfemaledoctorcough. I volunteer to play the role despite having no acting talent whatsoever. I can run, speak in a British accent, act eccentrically and know not to blink around weeping angels, a Sontaran's weak spot is neck rubs and Daleks are thoroughly evil.

Ronack:

As for Matt Smith ... it's been fun, Matt. You've given us plenty of fantastic episodes, performances and a very memorable Doctor. You'll be missed.

Absolutely agreed. Matt Smith is a great actor, but the way his Doctor is written has always sat awry with me. I'm not sure how optimistic we can be though, as long as Quirky McGee the new sidekick is with the new doctor.. I doubt a push back to the more Ecclestone-grounded doctors is on its way..

Yes it's a family-show, but recently I've felt it's less character-building more quirkyquirkquirk because apparently all the viewers developed ADHD.

SuperMse:
To pretend anything else is to ignore the point of the show.

But standard for any nerd fanbase of a children's show.

OT: Love Matt Smith. I'm going to miss that fez-wearing madman with a box.

Paterson Joseph would make a superb Doctor.

Anyone who has seen Neverwhere will know what im on about.

...So, when and where can I brainwash the BBC to hire Benedict Cumberbatch?
Just an idle thought...
Anyway, I enjoyed Matt Smith as the Doctor. I remember when he was announced, and a load of people thought he would be a bad Doctor after Tennant. Glad I was right, and they were wrong.

Ronack:

I don't think you'll be seeing a female doctor.

A black one or an older one or whatever maybe, but a female one? I don't think regeneration allows for gender switching.

SuperMse:
The show has always been family oriented. It's about adventure and time travel. It's meant to excite the imaginations of children and to get them interested in history. To pretend anything else is to ignore the point of the show.

But that does not mean it can't be anything more, as evidenced by RTD-overseen episodes such as Midnight and Waters of Mars. Maybe I'm just missing something, but I haven't seen a single episode like those mentioned above since Moffat took over.

Family fun is all well and good, but it's even better if it can be family fun and have a more complex, thoughtful narrative.

EDIT: For clarity, let me state that I don't think the show has to be serious and contemplative all the time, but a sprinkling of such episodes would be great.

rodneyy:
if anything they have been doing their job if you are calling it a borderline childrens show. as SuperMse said it is aimed at a family audience, so little kids can watch even if they get a bit scared then older kids and adults can all sit down together and watch as a group not one thing for each and a line drawn down the middle.

In retrospect, use of the word 'borderline' was probably a miscalculation. I initially used it in a ham-fisted attempt to defuse my post a little (since it may have come out a little angrier than I intended). Admittedly, it wasn't my finest idea, since the word doesn't actually belong there and does change what I am trying to say.

I have edited my original post as necessary.

Ironside:

ayman03:

yeah my friends opinions are split john hurt is either the time war doctor or Valeyard doctor. but the the whole valeyard doctor story line might be a bit hard to incorporate as the whole limited regenerations of time lords seems to have gone outta the window, but im sure they can work around that.

SuperMse:

ZombieFanatic:

Ronack:

I entirely agree with this statement. Moffat should seize this opportunity and change up his borderline children's-show approach to Doctor Who.

if anything they have been doing their job if you are calling it a borderline childrens show. as SuperMse said it is aimed at a family audience, so little kids can watch even if they get a bit scared then older kids and adults can all sit down together and watch as a group not one thing for each and a line drawn down the middle.

Saviordd1:

Ronack:

A black one or an older one or whatever maybe, but a female one? I don't think regeneration allows for gender switching.

they can attually. in the episode the doctors wife he finds the arm of a dead time lord that always had a tattoo in the same place and said something like

"they always had the same tattoo on their am even when they were female"

dont go using that as its probally all wrong but there was some mention of time lords being able to change gender at regeneration time

Saviordd1:

Ronack:

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/The_Corsair And there you go :P Proof that you can regenerate as a member of the opposite sex.

You can even regenerate as someone with two heads. Or no heads.

Awww. The Corsair. Even though s/he was only mentioned and partly shown. I would love an episode that had him/her in. They're time travellers, coz they're dead shouldn't mean they can't.

Ronack:

Argh, yes.

luvd1:
Awww. The Corsair. Even though s/he was only mentioned and partly shown. I would love an episode that had him/her in. They're time travellers, coz they're dead shouldn't mean they can't.

Nah...that'd muck up the whole "Time Lords are all dead" thing. Sure, it makes sense, but mumble mumble mumble.

I really hope they announce the next actor quickly.

In the meantime Who forums fandom will be unbearable with an endless stream of "The next Doctor should be [insert name of actor/actress from popular sci-fi/cult/written by Moffat show*]"

Because for all that they talk about being imaginative, fans seem to find it really hard to think outside the box at times like this.

* e.g. Johnny Depp, Nathan Fillion, half the cast of Game of Thrones, the entire cast of Sherlock including Benedict Bumblescratch or whatever his name is...

Well, I thought he might finish another season before passing the mantle, but c'est la vie. I really liked Smith - there were problems, sure - many people never gave him a chance because he wasn't Tennant, and the writing seems to have gotten more derivative since Moffat took the helm (which is interesting, given that I always enjoyed his episodes best during RTD's tenure), but Smith did an excellent job with what he was handed, and really took the Doctor in a new direction for the new series - more juvenile and exuberant than Eccleston or Tennant, and also willing to commit violence out of anger - Tennant's was firmly against it, Eccleston's did it seriously, not because there was a part of him that liked it.

But the show must go on, and Smith's been around for 3 whole seasons now, and it's time for them to explore something new. I read an interesting analysis once which said that the personality of each successive Doctor was wish fulfillment for the previous one - Eccleston's couldn't bring himself to express his love for Rose (Tennant's could more easily), Tennant's was haunted by all his lost companions (Smith's lived in the present, compulsively moves on from things). It's likely just circumstantial rather than intentional, but from a showrunning perspective it makes sense - you want to break new ground and get away from the weaknesses of the old one, so you address it with your new one. If that holds true, I'd imagine they'd go for a more mature, responsible Doctor, or perhaps something else, I dunno. We shall see!

Let's hope the Anniversary Special is good, eh? Hope they cast someone excellent... Doctor #12... sort of.

Saviordd1:

It has been established that regeneration does indeed allow gender switching, the Doctor's just never done it. New Series 6, the one about the TARDIS, the episode Neil Gaiman wrote - Doctor receives a distress call from 'The Corsair', who, when ranting, the Doctor mentions had been both male and female.

With that said, a female doctor would be breaking all sorts of new ground. Still, going for a black doctor would also be quite a shift, and if they get it right, I'm right behind them. I'd actually think that making a gender swap might be more likely - if they're going to make that change, there's a lot more to work with with the gender swap. We'll see!

Gaah, now I'm really excited!

thaluikhain:

Ronack:

Argh, yes.

luvd1:

Nah...that'd muck up the whole "Time Lords are all dead" thing. Sure, it makes sense, but mumble mumble mumble.

.... But I want to see Brian blessed in doctor who. we all know he is the corsair, it doesn't make sense other wise. I do not want to be in a world that won't have Brian Blessed as the corsair.

I'd like to see them get one of the actors from the BBC show Robin Hood that aired for three seasons during 06-09. You have a great pool of people to pick from there. If I could pick anyone it would be Kieth Allen without a doubt. He's older though so I doubt that he has a real shot. Barring him I'd be happy to see what Richard Armitage would bring to the role. If they want to go more in line with the past two incarnations you could get Harry Lloyd or Sam Troughton or even David Harewood if they wanted to cast a black man.

luvd1:
.... But I want to see Brian blessed in doctor who. we all know he is the corsair, it doesn't make sense other wise. I do not want to be in a world that won't have Brian Blessed as the corsair.

When it was announced that he'd be in Dr Who, there was talk of him being the Dr. Of course, he ended up as Yrcanos instead.

Dunno if he'd really work.

I still think we'll get some pretty boy for the Twilight fans.

Katherine Kerensky:
Just an idle thought...

Some of the articles and things I've read about Smith leaving have put BC high on the list of favourites to replace him.

Matt Smith really grew on me. He made Tenant's doctor seem almost mean-spirited in retrospect. I also like his companions much better- Amy and Rory were great, and Clara had a lot of potential despite being kind of wasted.

I've also liked how Moffat made Who feel like it was really going somewhere, as opposed to trying to pull together a myth arc at the last minute like RTD did when he left. It'd just be nice if the show's plotting could be tightened up and rely on less "The Doctor waved with sonic screwdriver at something and fixed it", "timey-wimey", general handwaves, and so "take our word for it".

all will be revealed in the special episode when John Hurt will be in it.
I am curious if he will be a part of the story or simply appears at the end as the 12th Doctor and what it means that the doctor's greatest secret is John Hurt and his name at the same time.Is he from the past or the future?
Why did he reveal the name? and Why is the name itself so important that no one but the doctor should know it?and if he is from the past,then the secret is out,yes?

I am getting a headache

TimeLord:

Katherine Kerensky:
Just an idle thought...

Some of the articles and things I've read about Smith leaving have put BC high on the list of favourites to replace him.

Which is probably why it won't be him! BBC have never really been ones for replacing the doctor with well known actors (as far as I'm aware anyway)

rosac:

TimeLord:

Katherine Kerensky:
Just an idle thought...

Which is probably why it won't be him! BBC have never really been ones for replacing the doctor with well known actors (as far as I'm aware anyway)

What about Christopher Eccleston? Pretty sure he was fairly well known and has had roles in other shows and hollywood movies.

Well this sucks. Matt Smith is my favorite Doctor and I will be sad to see him go. But I do I would be interested in a female Doctor.

DelinquentTurtle:

rosac:

TimeLord:

What about Christopher Eccleston? Pretty sure he was fairly well known and has had roles in other shows and hollywood movies.

and David Tennant, he has been in loads of things

TimeLord:

Katherine Kerensky:
Just an idle thought...

Thinking logically about his commitments to Sherlock and his aspirations in Hollywood I doubt it. Also I heard it said that he has already ruled himself out of playing The Doctor?

rodneyy:

DelinquentTurtle:

rosac:

and David Tennant, he has been in loads of things

Weeeeell, yes and no.

Tennant's a great actor, but if you look at his CV pre-Who, it doesn't amount to much. Lots of TV appearances, miniseries stuff, and you'd be hard pressed to find him in a lead role. Who put him on the map. Eccleston's got UK cred, and had it before Who, but he's always been fonder of the work than of fame. You'd almost think he was allergic to celebrity. When he does pop up in film roles pre-Who, it tends to be high concept stuff like Let Him Have It, or 28 Days Later cult-classic roles, the kind of movie that was never supposed to take off quite the way it did but really caught people's imagination.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here