Deus Ex: The Fall Teaser Reveals Almost Nothing

Deus Ex: The Fall Teaser Reveals Almost Nothing

Good news: We finally have a teaser trailer for Deus Ex: The Fall. Bad news: It does little to explain what exactly Deus Ex: The Fall might be.

I've been chronicling the shadowy existence of Deus Ex: The Fall for months now. In March I reported that publisher Square Enix had registered a number of domains using the name "DeusExThe Fall." Then, only yesterday, I reported on a brief Twitter message that appeared on the official account of Deus Ex: Human Revolution developer Eidos Montreal. It read simply, "Are YOU ready for The Fall?"

Today I received an email announcing that Eidos and Square Enix had opted to release an official teaser for Deus Ex: The Fall. "Finally," I thought to myself, "we'll get a solid look at the game (or whatever it is)!" After all this time however, I probably should have realized that I was being too optimistic. Yes, we do now have a teaser for Deus Ex: The Fall, but unfortunately I remain nowhere nearer the ability to tell any of you what exactly this thing is supposed to be.

For reasons outlined in my piece on the Twitter blurb, we feel safe in assuming that Deus Ex: The Fall is going to be a new game. More specifically, it's going to be a new entry in the storied Deus Ex franchise. At this point it's been too long since the last DLC was released for Deus Ex: Human Revolution for Eidos Montreal to suddenly spring a new addition for that title on us, and with E3 mere days away it seems an apt time for the announcement of a new game.

Beyond that though? It's all still a mystery. It does seem safe to assume that the date spelled out in the 7-second teaser is written in European notation, meaning that come June 5 (read: tomorrow) Eidos will offer us something more solid to go on. Expect a report just as soon as that information becomes public (and please keep your fingers crossed that the reveal is substantial; I'm getting tired of following this ... whatever it is).

Source: YouTube

It sounds like Bob Page talking in the teaser, so that's something to go on.

Maybe it's about the rise of MJ12?

That is quite possibly the most useless teaser trailer I have ever seen. You can't consider that to be a trailer when the exact same thing could be done with an image or poster.

I'm all for a new Deus Ex game but this is just a ridiculous way to start it off.

After D:HR I hope that Eidos Montreal will just build on what made HR good, iron out the faults, make the game word bigger and longer. Fix the boss fights and i'm sure we'll be a winner. HR was just eyegasm everywhere except the faces, dear god the faces.

That's so cryptic it feels like it's fake. Not that I'm saying it is, I'm just saying... what am I saying? More information, damnation!

If it's another Deus Ex game that manages to be at least as good as HR, then that's almost all I need to know.

Though it's going to be interesting to see how close they get to the previous games, given that the post-credits scene in Human Revolution threw references to them at us like they were going out of fashion.

Oh, what I'd give for a DX:HR ending fix... I'm hopeful that this is a DLC pack, but I don't expect it to be. I expect it to be something that will try to take 40 out of my wallet - which means it had better be good, or else it's going on the same waiting list as Tomb Raider, Resi 6, Bioshock Infinite, XCOM and countless others...

Wouldn't it be awesome if we play as Walton Simons as he discovers and joins MJ12? Maybe "The Fall" refers to how the director of FEMA became corrupted and joined the conspiracy.

Pretty likely it's going to take place during the world tech/economy collapse that occurs between DX:HR and the original game.

The DX:HR music is so good, it only took me that 7 second clip to remember how much I enjoyed that game

Doom972:
Wouldn't it be awesome if we play as Walton Simons as he discovers and joins MJ12? Maybe "The Fall" refers to how the director of FEMA became corrupted and joined the conspiracy.

That would actually be awesome, but didn't he only just get augmented before the events of DX1? Paul and JC were prototypes for the nano-augmentation for him and Page.

So unless we get a game with an unaugmented protagonist or one set really near to DX1 I don't see it happening, which is a shame as it really does sound cool.

So basically they had a teaser to announce a teaser? Fantastic

Genocidicles:

Doom972:

That would actually be awesome, but didn't he only just get augmented before the events of DX1? Paul and JC were prototypes for the nano-augmentation for him and Page.

So unless we get a game with an unaugmented protagonist or one set really near to DX1 I don't see it happening, which is a shame as it really does sound cool.

I remember them being pretty vague about when exactly Simons got his augmentations, but I could be wrong. I played through this game more than I cared to count, but I didn't check for this specific matter.

Hell yeah, Bob Page! I'm sooooooo ready to begin!

So this is it. The treacherous Illuminati have finally cracked and allowed Daedalus to hack its way into our Internets. This is a ploy to get all your fool brains squished and sucked into merging with the central AI. The YouTubes video is a deadly weapon that will absorb your neurons to study our weaknesses before the final attack.

I for one will duck into the nearest ventilation shaft and get out of here before the multitool hits the circuit breaker.

My last message to humanity before the collapse: Don't fall for it!

Goofguy:
That is quite possibly the most useless teaser trailer I have ever seen. You can't consider that to be a trailer when the exact same thing could be done with an image or poster.

I'm all for a new Deus Ex game but this is just a ridiculous way to start it off.

I'm fairly certain I recognize the voice, which is the actual teaser. Like others have said, it's likely Bob Page, but I'm not sure. At least, he's the only person who's significant that I can think of.

I'm starting to wonder if this is actually an AR game or something of the sort, perhaps in prelude to releasing a full-fledged DE game.

The world economy's collapse and the spread of the Grey Death virus, perhaps?

Hopefully they've worked out the kinks that happened with HR.

UUUUUNGH! Me wants another Deus Ex!
But I do want it to have a new feel to it. This trailer (if you can even call it that) seems to follow the same visual elements as the last one. I'd hate for it just to be Human Revolution 2. Something like a different colour scheme maybe? Everything in HR was very yellowy orangy, maybe this one could be..... greeny tealy? That'd work I think!

PoolCleaningRobot:
So basically they had a teaser to announce a teaser? Fantastic

Actually...
I think it's that they had a twitter teaser for a video teaser, to announce the EU date of the actual teaser trailer...

I'm getting tired of this announcement of an announcement crap. The unfortunate fact is that it's probably super effective at generating hype and attention so it's likely to continue.

Aw well. NEW DEUS EX SOMETHING, ALRIGHT!

Oh dear. It's been revealed. It's an iOS exclusive game:
https://www.facebook.com/DeusEx/posts/506728089380544

They're getting a ton of deserved flak for it. What a waste of time. This is worse than the April Fool's joke.

Human Revolution blew donggggggs. I'm going to be really hard pressed to get excited for a new one, especially after the ending of the last.

Well, one thing they have right is the name.

It IS the fall of Deus Ex. It even makeees Invisible War look good.

Absolutionis:
Oh dear. It's been revealed. It's an iOS exclusive game:
https://www.facebook.com/DeusEx/posts/506728089380544

They're getting a ton of deserved flak for it. What a waste of time. This is worse than the April Fool's joke.

god what a let down.

And what is it with publishers producing tablet games from major franchises. First there was Microsoft with Windows 8 tablet only Halo: spartan assault and now this.

Are publishers really that desperate to get into the mobile market?

More info:

Spoiler Warning: There's not a single positive comment on their forums or Facebook.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=8d02362063f4a04d33f1888647ee8cb1&t=137841

Hey guys, just a quick update to let you know that we've released the Deus Ex: The Fall announcement trailer. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1b8k469DbY

Deus Ex: The Fall will be available soon for iPad 2, iPhone 4S and iPod Touch 5 (and above) for $6.99. The Fall is also confirmed for Android devices (timing still to be announced).

The Fall will be playable at the Square Enix booth at this year's E3, if you're lucky enough to be attending drop by to South Hall #1647 and say hi!

http://community.eidosmontreal.com/blogs/Deus-Ex-The-Fall-Announced

Absolutionis:
Spoiler Warning: There's not a single positive comment on their forums or Facebook.

Unfortunately most of the commentators are also whiny little bitches, so that doesn't really mean anything. It's one thing to say that FPS on a tablet, due to performance or controls, is a bad idea. It's quite another to go "Yesterday I started reading Icarus Effect again, today I have deleted it from my Kindle. Thanks for ruining my day Eidos." like a five year old throwing away his Christmas presents because he was told he had to put them away while he ate supper.

Wow that's disappointing. All that hype as well, just for a shitty ipad game.

I think the best point made was that it's not that the game exists, it's that they provided hype, which made people expect another "full sized" Deus Ex game. Imagine if Valve teased a new Half Life and it ended up being like this. It's not the game that's the problem, it's the disappointment due to the expectation.

Formica Archonis:

Absolutionis:

Unfortunately most of the commentators are also whiny little bitches, so that doesn't really mean anything. It's one thing to say that FPS on a tablet, due to performance or controls, is a bad idea. It's quite another to go "Yesterday I started reading Icarus Effect again, today I have deleted it from my Kindle. Thanks for ruining my day Eidos." like a five year old throwing away his Christmas presents because he was told he had to put them away while he ate supper.

That's the internet for you, it's pretty much par for the course now.

Formica Archonis:

Absolutionis:

To be fair, Eidos had been marketing the mysterious "DX: The Fall" for about three months or so without much information aisde from a name and a "it's coming". This sort of marketing would only appeal to fans of the franchise, really. After the April Fool's hiccup that people had a nice chuckle of "glad this isn't real... hah hah hah", Eidos pretty much pulls the same thing here.

Reminds me of how everyone who played it loved Valkyria Chronicles on PS3, so then they go around and release dumbed-down half-assed sequels to the game on PSP only to have the series fade into obscurity.

So yes, they're whining like little bitches, but that doesn't make their reasoning unjustifiable. Eidos marketed the game towards their fans, and then suddenly revealing something on a completely unexpected platform with Eidos-admitted dumbing down.

Personally, I'm not mad. I don't even feel like I'm whining. I'm just let-down for the second time since "Human Defiance".

I guess there's always Thi4f or Th145 or Thief 4 or 78145 or whatever the game is called nowadays.

It's a mobile game, everyone. Move along, nothing to see here. Just another franchise suicide.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here