Man Asks For Jail After Running Out of Xbox Games

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Man Asks For Jail After Running Out of Xbox Games

Jail Bars

A New Zealand man on home detention asked to serve out of the last month of his sentence in jail after he ran out of videogames.

The enemy of gamers everywhere is time. There's just never enough of it. For some people, squeezing in even an hour or two of quality gameplay while also contending with things like work, family and life in general, can be a challenge. A fifty-hour epic becomes less tenable when coupled with a fifty-hour work week and as responsibilities stack, many find themselves hoping and praying for even just a few free moments to level up or work in a few frags.

One man in New Zealand however, when faced with the prospect of all the time in the world, discovered that there is some truth behind the adage of "too much of a good thing." According to Whangarei police, a 19 year old man who had served ten months of an eleven month home detention sentence asked to be taken to jail because he "had run out of Xbox games to play." He apparently told police that he intended to breach his home detention sentence if he wasn't taken to jail.

It's actually not hard to imagine why the individual in question might have made the decision he did. Gaming is fun; you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone in these parts that would deny that. That said, imagine if it was your primary activity for ten months and then couple that with not being allowed to leave your home that entire time. No matter how cozy a butt groove you've worn into your couch by that point, you're going to be getting antsy. A few weeks of jail time just to get out of the house might seem worth it after that long.

Source: The Northern Advocate

Well all he has to do murder 7 people and he can sue Australia for a PlayStation.

You know, I guess it's better to be honest with yourself and make that effort. It doesn't diminish the fact that he did a crime and does the time for getting caught, but at least he's got the courage to go, "Welp, this is gonna suck if I've got nothing else to accomplish in the games that I have. Might as well not cause any more trouble and get this over with."

If nothing else, he's learned the benefit of replay value in games. Perhaps if he had a game like that, he would've stuck with the last month of home detention.

EDIT:

DVS BSTrD:
Well all he has to do murder 7 people and he can sue Australia for a PlayStation.

That particular case refered to unequal treatment of prisoners, if I'm not mistaken. Granted, that in no way, shape or form should detract from what he did, but...

You know what? Screw it. I can already see this becoming a Daystar level de-rail if I continue. Let's just giggle at that little quip of yours and leave it at that, yeah? Seems a bit easier that way.

Hopefully he brings a good book! I had a friend in college who spent his summer in jail (they worked it out so he spent his 2-month sentence between semesters) and just read books the whole time. Said it was boring, but he got a lot of reading in >.>

Fuckin' casual. 10 months of house arrest would barely even dent my backlog.

Surely being in jail would be more boring than sitting around at home?

Not to mention possibly scary and dangerous, depending on how much truth there is in what they say about prison showers.

Funny thing is, I know that feel.

Last year my summer holidays from uni were a good couple of months long. Trouble is, I have to spend this time in my home town, which only has two main kinds of people, Chavs around my age who do little more than drink and listen to god awful music while being god awful people (and it is that last part which I truly can't tolerate at all), and old people who do nothing but complain about young people, even when they are literally doing charity work right in front of them, and yes, that did actually happen.

So aside from the odd trip to the local gaming/DVD shops or getting a summer job (easier said than done in this bloody economy), I am confined in my room.

The first two weeks are fun, a little boring, but relaxing in a strange way. The third is when the days start to blur. By the fourth, well, I don't know about anyone else, but that's when I started to coax myself into a state of slight insanity to try and avoid the descent into complete insanity.

Consider that was two months, and this guy had been through eleven...I can imagine his reasoning. Or lack of, by now.

As for me, I'm doing that all again over summer. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH

Doclector:

Last year my summer holidays from uni were a good couple of months long. Trouble is, I have to spend this time in my home town, which only has two main kinds of people, Chavs around my age who do little more than drink and listen to god awful music while being god awful people (and it is that last part which I truly can't tolerate at all), and old people who do nothing but complain about young people, even when they are literally doing charity work right in front of them, and yes, that did actually happen.

So aside from the odd trip to the local gaming/DVD shops or getting a summer job (easier said than done in this bloody economy), I am confined in my room.

The first two weeks are fun, a little boring, but relaxing in a strange way. The third is when the days start to blur. By the fourth, well, I don't know about anyone else, but that's when I started to coax myself into a state of slight insanity to try and avoid the descent into complete insanity.

Consider that was two months, and this guy had been through eleven...I can imagine his reasoning. Or lack of, by now.

I recommend Skyrim. If I didn't have a full time job, two new hobbies and a household to run ('cause my hubbs mostly can't be arsed to) I'd have grown into my chair. Not to mention that I finally found a way to play Xenosaga, have a monstrous backlog and around 20 games I want to replay. My one wish now is to win an insane amount of cash on lottery, so that I can take 6 months off.

I have no respect for people like him. If you seriously can't find other things to do for entertainment other than video games then you're a boring person.

The Plunk:

Seriously, by my last count my backlog is deep in the double digits. Cursed GOG sales.

The Plunk:

It would mine, but that's because I left most of them half finished anyway.

Protip: If you want gaming to stay a pastime rather then an obligation, don't try to play Red Dead Redemption, Dragon Age: Origins and Saints Row 2 all at once :(

CrazyCapnMorgan:
You know, I guess it's better to be honest with yourself and make that effort. It doesn't diminish the fact that he did a crime and does the time for getting caught, but at least he's got the courage to go, "Welp, this is gonna suck if I've got nothing else to accomplish in the games that I have. Might as well not cause any more trouble and get this over with."

If nothing else, he's learned the benefit of replay value in games. Perhaps if he had a game like that, he would've stuck with the last month of home detention.

EDIT:

DVS BSTrD:

That particular case refered to unequal treatment of prisoners, if I'm not mistaken. Granted, that in no way, shape or form should detract from what he did, but...

You know what? Screw it. I can already see this becoming a Daystar level de-rail if I continue. Let's just giggle at that little quip of yours and leave it at that, yeah? Seems a bit easier that way.

Glad you enjoyed it, although I would have been amused to see how this derail turned out :P

I'm pretty sure I'd be quite comfortable sitting at home all day, playing games in my 10+ hours of spare time. Maybe not solely on Xbox though. I'd need my PC and Steam account. Gimme an internet connection to go with it and I could spend years in my own home.

Was he not allowed to get new games or something?

Just his Xbox games? Lazy guy; should have picked up PC gaming. I feel that would have kept his last month busy.

mechalynx:

Doclector:

I recommend Skyrim. If I didn't have a full time job, two new hobbies and a household to run ('cause my hubbs mostly can't be arsed to) I'd have grown into my chair. Not to mention that I finally found a way to play Xenosaga, have a monstrous backlog and around 20 games I want to replay. My one wish now is to win an insane amount of cash on lottery, so that I can take 6 months off.

I Already did have skyrim last time.

Though, this time I do have dragon's dogma, well, if that save file thing has been fixed by the time I get back home.

Really he ran out of games?

I guess if he was one of the PC gaming Master race he would have probably asked for an extension because quite honestly there is not enough time in your life to finish every game available on PC. You'd be hard pressed just to finish the entire library for PC and then you are confronted with a few dozen emulators :D

Life sentence of gaming? Bring it on!

Why doesn't he just replay them like everyone else who has a limited game library?

Doclector:

I've had personal experience with going a couple years being cooped up in an apartment virtually 24/7 with nothing to do but game and watch anime, along with taking care of two little kids between 8 - 16 hours a day most days of the week (I will not go into details on how or why that happened). Needless to say, it can drive one quite mad.

So he couldn't asked for more games or quickly adopt a new activity to spend on that remaining month?

Doclector:

That's nothing. A few years ago when I was 16 I was diagnosed with scoliosis, which meant I had to get an operations which would take me three months before being allowed to return to school. Given hat for the first couple of weeks I wasn't allowed to walk up or down stairs without supervision, I was confined to my room essentially the whole time without even the possibility of going out. I played a lot of games over those three months.

Ok, getting past my knee-jerk reaction to say he wouldn't have had that problem with a good combination of Steam and GOG, couldn't he have asked permission to just have some delivered? They're just X360 games, the package would be easy to screen by whoever enforces his home detention...

I know his position quite well. Not the house arrest part but the having all the time in the world and therefore run out of games to play and get burned out for a while. I have been unemployed since January 2011 when the place I work burnt to the ground. Twas the most literal firing I've ever had. But no one will hire me so I'm stuck trolling the internet and playing games. And when bored playing games I typically look up videos on Youtube.
That's what that guy needs to do. Troll the internet and watch Youtube videos. Works for me. Or develop a sleep disorder and sleep for 12+ hours a day.

Zhukov:

Not to mention possibly scary and dangerous, depending on how much truth there is in what they say about prison showers.

That's mostly an American thing, most other (1st world) countries don't nearly have as much of a prison rape problem.

Hah, that's funny.
Steam could have saved you some Jail Time, mate.

first day in: get stabbed in the neck and raped.

archievement unlocked:
huh? what are books? now i am dead. oh well..

i am going to send him this shirt:
cause i am a dick..

Does he really didn't had nothing else to do?
He could easily just take a book from his local library and start reading.
Reading always is refreshing after a long time of gameplay.

Btw I am reading the book "The Master and Margarita". Great book.

Zhukov:

LOL, its a NZ prison, we treat inmates like fucking royalty. They get sky (our version of cable), three hot meals a day and pocket money. They live better in jail than some people do in the poorer parts of NZ. Woohoo, that's where my hard earned tax money is going o_O"

On the one hand I'd say "Ohhh come on you quitter! Four more weeks and you're good to go! Surely there must be SOME games in your library you enjoy playing enough to go through them one more time."

On the other hand...10 months of nothing to do but play videogames? You know, I've heard people say that being a game tester is REALLY grueling work, I'd imagine this guy got to find out just why. A 10 month gaming marathon is likely to make anyone sick of games for a while.

Well considering the conversation you run into in the average Xboxlive game. Jail wouldn't be much different. Besides maybe the jail has a better selection of games?

This wouldn't have happened if he was a PC gamer. #PCMasterRace

Read a book. Watch TV. Learn how to cook.

There are a thousand things you can do at home you can't do in jail.

The things you can do in jail are not things many would enjoy.

Oh, by the way, you dropped the soap...

So, what, he didn't have any friends to do a Gamestop run? Or hell, he didn't just have friends to borrow games from?

Uhhhh get more games? Surely he didn't play THAT many. Some of them have replay value, especially those with multiplayer. I think I would (gladly) take this as a challenge, were I to ever be sentenced to house arrest.

Adam Jensen:
I have no respect for people like him. If you seriously can't find other things to do for entertainment other than video games then you're a boring person.

Yeah, OK. But how many can you do at home? He was under house arrest after all. I don't know about you, but there's only so many things you can stuck at home.

I mean, sure. Paint or crafts or something (if you have the supplies lying around - no idea if he's allowed to buy things to be perfectly honest), read a book (again, if you've got them. But chances are few people own enough books to last them through several months).
TV... But that's not exactly that interesting either.

Or perhaps try and write a book...

Then you start to get into things that require other people. Again, I have no idea what the terms of his house arrest are here...

But honestly, you quickly run out of things to do if you're housebound. And that's true even if you ARE technically allowed to leave and buy new things, let alone if you aren't...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here