Metal Gear Solid V Casts Kiefer Sutherland as Snake

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Metal Gear Solid V Casts Kiefer Sutherland as Snake

Kiefer Sutherland Snake Reveal

Hideo Kojima picked the 24 actor to play an older, more subtle Snake.

While fans of Metal Gear Solid were excited by the announcement of Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes and Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, there were more than a few who were disappointed to learn that David Hayter, the long-time voice of Big Boss and Solid Snake, wouldn't be returning for the new games. The obvious question in the wake of that announcement was who would replace him as the actor behind those characters. Today, Konami finally gave fans an answer. Keifer Sutherland of 24 fame, will be taking over as the new voice of Snake.

The reveal came via Konami's Pre-E3 Stream event and detailed some of the reasons Konami and series-creator Hideo Kojima opted to switch voice actors. "I wanted Snake to have a more subdued performance," said Kojima. "The game takes place in 1984, when Snake is forty-nine years old. We needed someone who could genuinely convey both the facial and vocal qualities of a man in his late forties." Sutherland who did both vocals and motion capture for the game, seems enthusiastic about the project. "It's an honor to be able to play this character," said Sutherland. "There's a real personal quality to the character that I've connected to."

Sutherland, who is forty-seven and fairly versed in playing a secret agent, definitely fits Kojima's bill in several ways. That said, Hayter's performance as Snake is iconic. Even watching game footage with Sutherland talking in the background, it's hard to imagine anyone else in the role. None of this is to suggest that Sutherland's performance will be poor, but it's a change that will take some getting used to.

Nay I say!

You can't replace Hayter...

The best voice!

It's just not snake without him. This makes me sad T^T

I think he fits, we all saw Big Boss ain't such a...

*puts on sunglasses*

...Young Gun anymore.

I'm calling it now: Sutherland is Old Snake, Hayter is Solid Snake, and at some point the two will square-off/meet up, leading into the story of the original Metal Gear games on the MSX.

Well, lets face it, Hideo Kojima long since stopped giving a rats arse what the fans of MGS actually wanted, got down to masturbating to his own particular videogame fantasies and pouring the results onto disk. So why shouldnt he do this? some idiots will buy the game no matter how shit it is.

*Edit* Apologies for the bile. In a way i respect Kojima, he does what he wants regardless of publisher demands or fan anger. Like it or not he creates his own vision and brings it to the game. Personally i dont like it but i guess i never really forgave the trainwreck (as i see it) that was MGS 2. I guess if he wants Sutherland as Snake then the fanbase get Sutherland as Snake, whether they like it or not.

Best comment i've seen on this: "Hayters gonna hayte"

Better replacement VA than the guy now doing Sam Fisher's voice.

I'm surprisingly okay with this. Sutherland is an amazing actor who can bring justice to Solid Snake. Unlike Sam Fisher being voiced by Eric Johnson. Nah, whilst I'm positive that Hayter will return in some way, I'm happy to see him replaced by someone who has already proven himself to be capable of the task.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
I'm calling it now: Sutherland is Old Snake, Hayter is Solid Snake, and at some point the two will square-off/meet up, leading into the story of the original Metal Gear games on the MSX.

This is what I'm hoping for. I can totally understand not wanting Hayter to act alongside himself, and this will be a very good decision if this is what they're doing. They'd also better remake the MSX games in a modern engine, if this is the case.

That said, I do find it odd that they didn't bring back Richard Doyle. He's been Big Boss and Solidus already, so I would think him to be the ideal choice for old Naked Snake.

P.S. Thanks

I... I'm not sure how I feel about this. I personally think Big Boss needs a different voice than Snake, but I was thinking an older one. But at the same time, Keifer Sutherland's voice isn't that bad and it's not like he's young

I'll just have to see how this plays out

StewShearer:

actor to play an older, more subtle Snake.

Because this man is known for his subtlety. I can't wait until Snake throws an empty whiskey bottle at his enemies before plummeting down a set of stairs while trying to take off his pants.

I'm in favor of this! Kiefer Sutherland actually has the voice that Hayter really obviously strains himself to fake.

Yeah, I'm kind of attached to Hayter's voice, but part of me realizes that he always sounded like someone trying too hard to sound gritty.

Huh....to be honest I really don't know what to make of this. On one hand Sutherland is pretty good actor IMO. On the other hand how do you replace someone like David Hayter who had been the iconic voice for Solid Snake for years. I hope at the very least Konami gave Hayter (age 44) the chance to try and do the kind of voice that was required otherwise it seems like a dick move on their part.

Oh well, I guess I'll give him the chance.

At least this is much better than the deal Sam Fisher got.

So this new Metal Gear game will include a lot of Big Boss holding a gun to a tied up guard, screaming "WHERE IS THE BOMB?"

Fair enough that is a pretty good replacement but I still feel Hayter didn't need replacing. Metal Gear just won't be the same without those gravelly tones.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Yeah, I think it's pretty obvious that Kojima is going for that.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

well Sutherland will be playing Big Boss (naked snake), but you are right Solid snake will show up voiced by Hayter

solid snake was born in 1972, and from what i can tell the destruction of mother base takes play 1984 and then big boss goes in to a coma for 9 years, which means solid snake will be in his 20s so it would make perfect sense for him to be a presne in the game

not to mention big boss has already had anouth voice actor in metal gear solid 4

I think this is a positive step towards separating the characters of Solid Snake and Big Boss/Naked Snake, I like character development, this could be interesting.

Wait one second!

They want a more subdued Snake (giggle!)... by casting the guy from 24 who has this trope...

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/JackBauerInterrogationTechnique

I am glad I never got into this game series now.

EDIT: Misread someone there.

What I'm getting from this is that they're looking for a more subtle and subdued performance for next gen Snake. Afterall Hayter did old Snake in MGS4 and he was more than able to sound old enough then. So the only point I see in casting Sutherland is so that Snake can cast off his skin sorta speak for a more serious performance.

And I think the Japanese Snake is still done by the same guy, judging from that initial trailer. It's the same guy who voiced Batou from Ghost in the Shell.

I already knew Kiefer Sutherland was going to voice a character in MGS5, but I thought it was going to be that bandaged guy from the second trailer.

We'll have to see how this turns out.

... Fuck you Konami/Kojima... seriously... this is a horrid thing to do to both fans of the series and the voice actor who helped define the goddamn thing in North America.

But...Without David Hayter's voice i can't have those really guilty ere--woops i almost spoke too much there.

I can't say Bauer's voice doesn't fit a grizzled old-ish snake in his late 40's but...David's is better anyways.

Really wanted Richard Doyle to voice Big Boss cuz that was how it was in MGS4 and he did the role really good.

But it can all be an elaborate bait and switch thing considering this is Kojima we are talking about

PedroSteckecilo:
... Fuck you Konami/Kojima... seriously... this is a horrid thing to do to both fans of the series and the voice actor who helped define the goddamn thing in North America.

Except he didn't define this character (Big Boss), he defined his clone/son (Solid Snake).
Big difference.

As I said before
"Cool!"

Adam Jensen:

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Yeah, I think it's pretty obvious that Kojima is going for that.

You'd think so. I mean, it was my very first thought. But based on the bitching and moaning across THE INTERNET most people don't seem to have come to this conclusion.

toomuchnothing:

StewShearer:

actor to play an older, more subtle Snake.

Because this man is known for his subtlety. I can't wait until Snake throws an empty whiskey bottle at his enemies before plummeting down a set of stairs while trying to take off his pants.

VoidWanderer:
Wait one second!

They want a more subdued Snake (giggle!)... by casting the guy from 24 who has this trope...

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/JackBauerInterrogationTechnique

I am glad I never got into this game series now.

Yes, because we all know that you can judge an actor's entire range from one movie/series they did. Keanu Reeves has no other acting style other than "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure", as we all know.

Seriously, just because Sutherland wasn't subtle in 24 doesn't mean he is incapable of being subtle.

I hope this is just to make Snake/Big Boss seem different.

Casual Shinji:
EDIT: Misread someone there.

What I'm getting from this is that they're looking for a more subtle and subdued performance for next gen Snake. Afterall Hayter did old Snake in MGS4 and he was more than able to sound old enough then. So the only point I see in casting Sutherland is so that Snake can cast off his skin sorta speak for a more serious performance.

And I think the Japanese Snake is still done by the same guy, judging from that initial trailer. It's the same guy who voiced Batou from Ghost in the Shell.

I already knew Kiefer Sutherland was going to voice a character in MGS5, but I thought it was going to be that bandaged guy from the second trailer.

We'll have to see how this turns out.

One of the bandaged guys in the trailer was Snake/Big Boss. There were scenes of him being bandaged up after an accident involving fire and then it's implied that he'd had Les Enfants Terrible done to him.

EDIT: Whoops sorry, messed that up. Ignore everything I said

I thought Hayter did a good job playing an old man in Metal Gear Solid 4. Or am I missing something?

I still don't understand why this happened. Sure, if Hayter was being unreasonable, or was just tired and said, "I'm done," okay. Mark Hamill did the same thing with The Joker. But so far, Hayter seems to be as confused by this as the fans are. Sutherland is going to have some massive shoes to fill, and no matter how good he is, some people are going to hate him for this.

So if the game is set in 1984 and Big Boss was in a coma for 9 years (assuming it's Big Boss.) then that means that the thing which triggered the accident took place in the two year gap between 1975-6 after the events of Peace Walker. That's a pretty short span of time.

"there's a real personal quality that I've connected to" I hate that line so fucking much! Is that "I feel I really made this character my own" and "You know, I'd really like to put my own spin on this character" stock answers that have to be said? Is there like a quota that must be filled?

It's just such PR bull shit/HA! I just ruined this.

If he was snake from the get go then ok, I would have been fine with it but Hayter WAS snake ... He has grown up with snake.

Bindal:

PedroSteckecilo:

Except he didn't define this character (Big Boss), he defined his clone/son (Solid Snake).
Big difference.

Uh, but David Hayter is the voice of Big Boss in MGS3, which was Big Boss's first voiced role and biggest role, as well as in Peace Walker, another main series game starring Big Boss, and even Portable Ops. How does he not define that role? In fact the only other English voice actor to play Big Boss was Richard Doyle, who had a very small scene at the end of MGS4, the main reason behind this being that having David Hayter speak to Big Boss (himself) as Solid Snake (himself) would be jarring.

OT: This doesn't make much sense. It seems Kojima has his reasons as usual but he isn't explaining them well. Hayter has done a perfect job with Old Snake, and happens to be a man in his forties. He's 44. For fucks sake Sutherland is only 2 years older than him!

Ehh, I'm okay with this, I've never seen anything Kiefer Sutherland is in, but I think I'll have to watch 24 now, just to see how he measures up. I was hoping Richard Doyle would be Big Boss as that would make more sense, and give a slightly smaller disconnect of not having Hayter voice him, but lets be honest, at some point Big Boss and Snake /are/ going to meet up, and having Hayter talk to himself in the same voice would just be really awkward.

Look, I love Hayters gravelly tones as much as the next guy, but there needs to be a point where he starts to sound different in order to have his transition into Richard Doyle, lets...I dunno, see what he sounds like in the role before we start leading angry pitchfork mobs at Kojimas house yes? I hardly doubt he's doing this just to do a "fuck you" to the fans.

Granted I'm generally adverse to anyone other than Kevin Conroy voicing Batman, despite him having done an excellent voicing Old Bruce in Batman Beyond/Justice League, but! Peter Weller did a great job in The Dark Knight Returns, so I'm willing to at least wait to see what he sounds like.

My first thought to anything Kiefer related you ask? DAMMIT

sethisjimmy:

Bindal:

PedroSteckecilo:

Big difference.

Uh, but David Hayter is the voice of Big Boss in MGS3, which was Big Boss's first voiced role and biggest role, as well as in Peace Walker, another main series game starring Big Boss, and even Portable Ops. How does he not define that role? In fact the only other English voice actor to play Big Boss was Richard Doyle, who had a very small scene at the end of MGS4, the main reason behind this being that having David Hayter speak to Big Boss (himself) as Solid Snake (himself) would be jarring.

OT: This doesn't make much sense. It seems Kojima has his reasons as usual but he isn't explaining them well. Hayter has done a perfect job with Old Snake, and happens to be a man in his forties. He's 44. For fucks sake Sutherland is only 2 years older than him!

That's what I was thinking, I mean MGS3 is MY favorite game in the series and that David Hayter voiced version of Naked Snake/Big Boss is the definitive non villainous version of the character for me.

As well the Japanese VA is being retained for the Japanese Version... so why are they ditching the classic Snake Voice for the North American Version? To me this reeks of "WE WANT BIG NAME CELEBRITY TALENT BECAUSE MAINSTREAM!!!!! BLARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!" which will in the end probably end up costing more than it should and will make the game a "failure".

So pissed about this, don't know if I'm pissed enough to boycott the game but seriously... this is a major disservice to longtime fans of the series.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

1972 - The Les Enfants Terribles project. Sons of Big Boss are born.

If the game takes place in 1984, Solid Snake is biologically 12. If I understand, his dad is in a coma at this point and he won't begin the Metal Gear mission in Africa for another 11 years, where he is a rookie in FOXHOUND... taking orders from his father.

Even with Snake's rapid aging, not sure I want Hayter to be involved in any pre-teen drama. In that case, by all means get someone else to voice!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here