Metal Gear Solid V Casts Kiefer Sutherland as Snake

Pages PREV 1 2

what
what is this
ugh ah ew no please

Well Kiefer isn't terrible but it just ain't Snake without Hayter. C'mon Kojima just say it already.

Don't get me wrong- in my estimation, if you had to replace Hayter, Sutherland is definitely one of the better picks. (Him turning into Jack Bauer was a revelation about on the same scale as "Mark Hamill is the Joker?!".) I'm just still not sold on the "had to replace Hayter" bit.

While I would prefer David Hayter or Richard Doyle, I think Sutherland is a really good choice.

I still think this is Kojima trolling us all still though. Going by the trailers it sounded like the guy in the bandages was voiced by Sutherland, unless that was Kojima trolling us.

and I'm supposed to think this is a good choice because....? God, Konami is a clownhouse

Hmmm. Honestly, I really can't imagine it. I'm pretty gutted to hear this, especially after all these years hearing Hayter as Snake in MGS1, 2, 3 and 4. Not optimistic about this at all :(

it sucks. Come on, Hayter was great at his job. You don't fire a guy for being fucking awesome.

I disagree with the SC comparisons, though.

All of my Hayte(r).

Just seems weird, is all.
It's like getting Charles Martinet switched with Charlie Sheen because they wanted a more subtle, older and smoother sounding Mario for the next game to depict how much Mario has been through over the years. Or in other words, something baffling and entirely unnecessary but not necessarily bad.

But they wouldn't just do this.
Hayter has to be in there somewhere.
After the credits, maybe?

Well aren't I going to be the unpopular one in a minute.

I came into the Metal Gear series as an observer of my fiancÚ playing the games up to and including MGS 4 - which is where I finally picked up a controller. I've heard the voices throughout is what I am getting at, even though I didn't play so much as watch the games until Solid Snake was Old Snake. And... I never was too terribly impressed with the voice acting. I didn't know this guy's name, didn't care if he had provided the voices for some games or all of them or just one, and I was surprised by the interest in this. I do recognize this guy's voice as Snake, but I think some other posters have been right in pointing out that, as Old Snake, the effort in getting the tone is definitely noticeable and not quite perfect in final execution. Not terrible by any stretch, but not sterling. So, /shrug I've liked Sutherland's voice since before 24 was even an itch in someone's wallet. I think he has the range to do a good job with this - without going to the new Batman voice levels of effort to get there.

Just saying.

So Kojima wants to change the voice actor? Fine. Sure. Wonderful. Fuck it, why not! It's a fucking stupid idea, but have at it, see how far it gets you.
My objections really start to rise when you look at the treatment, not of the character, but of David Hayter as a person. From what I'm hearing he's essentially been discarded like a used condom. After filming Wolves he returns home to find out a new Metal Gear is in production, so obviously he suspects he'll be contacted soon to sort out a recording schedule. NOPE. No, he has to contact a Konami representative and sit down for lunch when he's finally told "we have no use for you".
The voice of Snake for fifteen years, ladies and gentleman, had to pay for lunch just so he could be told he wasn't needed anymore.
On top of that, this "change the performance" horseshit not only throws David Hayter totally under the bus as a Voice Actor, essentially making it sound as though the go-to guy for Snake's voice for over a decade was actually kinda shit. But it also fails to make a lick of sense considering the Japanese Voice Actor (Akio Ōtsuka for those interested) is retaining his role (he's been voicing Snake in Japan for as long as Hayter has in English-speaking countries).
Now some might argue that Akio way have a better range than Hayter, that he can do the job Sutherland is being brought in to do now. Fine, awesome. But why wasn't Hayter allowed to audition for the role? Why wasn't he given an opportunity to show he can deliver a different performance. Because I bet you every cent I have he could've done it, and easily.
But the final straw is something a little harder to find out. Apparently Hayter's experience voicing Snake were actually kinda isolated, he didn't really have all that much contact with Kojima or the development team during recording, suggesting changes to the script would take hours at least to get done since they needed to be phoned in to Tokyo. And yet the footage of Kojima and Sutherland all buddy buddy in the recording booth seems to paint a very fucking different approach indeed. I'd bet Sutherland is mostly here for the publicity, despite how good of an actor he is.

Bottom line, all of this stinks, it stinks bad. And if Kojima really wanted to do this for the betterment of the series, this was not the way to do it. And it was not the way to let go of arguably the most iconic and dedicatedVoice Actor in all of gaming history, a man who not only loves the series, but the character and the fans. This installment has already left a sour taste in my mouth, and that is not going away.

-Rant over (I appreciate it if anyone actually manages to read all that, hehe)

While I am disappointed that they aren't having Hayter play Snake I am am OK with them getting Kiefer to do it. Personally, I would have preferred it instead if they had gotten Viggo Mortensen to do it. I think Kevin Conroy would have been another good choice as well. I would not be surprised though if this is all an elaborate ruse being done by Kojima just to drum up hype for the game and having Kiefer play Big Boss and still having Hayter play Snake.

You know, apart from the fact that he's not David Hayter, that's not a bad choice.

ciancon:
Best comment i've seen on this: "Hayters gonna hayte"

I was hoping someone would say that David Hayter was terrible, so I could tell them not to be a David Hayter.

Mylinkay Asdara:
I came into the Metal Gear series as an observer of my fiancÚ playing the games up to and including MGS 4 - which is where I finally picked up a controller. I've heard the voices throughout is what I am getting at, even though I didn't play so much as watch the games until Solid Snake was Old Snake. And... I never was too terribly impressed with the voice acting. I didn't know this guy's name, didn't care if he had provided the voices for some games or all of them or just one, and I was surprised by the interest in this.

Technically we could look at the quality of VA, but that's not the point. For many of us who picked up MGS in 1998, we have roughly 15 years of his voice in our minds. It's not easy or even possible to just flip a switch and have a new one in its place. It will never be the same.

I can't watch anything TMNT that isn't the original animated series VA. Doesn't make you unpopular if you're not like us, wanting to hold onto something we're so familiar with (and I still need to play MGS4, never had a PS3 until relatively recently).

Yeah, Richard Doyle would've been the better pick. He's already got Solidus (perfect Big Boss clone) and Big Boss under his belt. Switching the VA around like this kinda makes me think of Big Boss as someone with an identity crisis.

At any rate, even though I'm a huge MGS fan, I won't be playing this game just as I didn't play MGS4. Kojima won't be porting either game to the PC since he seems to not know that other platforms exist (other than the Xbox, which he hates). And I really dislike trying to play MGS games on shitty emulators.

Xarathox:
Yeah, Richard Doyle would've been the better pick. He's already got Solidus (perfect Big Boss clone) and Big Boss under his belt. Switching the VA around like this kinda makes me think of Big Boss as someone with an identity crisis.

Actually Solidus was voiced by John Cygan. But I was fairly certain that it was Keifer Sutherland who voiced Ishmael in the hospital demo. I'm guessing maybe he's a hallucination of Big Boss' mind.

ScruffyMcBalls:
-holy snip batman-

Wow. That's definitely something I've never heard before. Well, I knew Sutherland and Kojima were getting pretty chummy. But I didn't know Mr.Hayter had been treated like that over the years. Shame. He's a cool guy. With a personal interest in the series and fans. He went above and beyond.

Dead Century:
But I was fairly certain that it was Keifer Sutherland who voiced Ishmael in the hospital demo.

Actually I saw a theory, as to why he seemed to be voicing Ishmael.

It's Kojima trolling us all again. The reason why Ishmael's face is all bandaged? He's had plastic surgery to look like Big Boss. Which is why Sutherland is voicing Big Boss all of a sudden, he's not the real Big Boss.

What with all the jokes on Hayter's twitter recently, I think they'll reveal him as the voice of the real Big Boss at E3. Plus the trailer that revealed Sutherland did seem kind of jokey.

If that's not the case I'm not complaining though. I'm excited to see what Sutherland will bring to the table, if he really is the voice for Big Boss.

Dead Century:

Xarathox:

Actually Solidus was voiced by John Cygan. But I was fairly certain that it was Keifer Sutherland who voiced Ishmael in the hospital demo. I'm guessing maybe he's a hallucination of Big Boss' mind.

You're right. My bad. I completely forgot Cygan voiced Solidus in MGS2 (been a while since I played it last).

I take this as good news. I expected something like the Hitman VA they hired to replace David Bateson (then fired again when fans threw a shit fit) or the guy they got for Sam Fisher... but Sutherland actually fits quite well.

And truth be told, we're talking about Big Boss, not Solid Snake. David Hayter will always be Solid Snake. I mean, Liquid Snake had a different VA (and a different accent to boot), so it only make logical sense that Big Boss doesn't have the exact same voice as Solid Snake.

Sutherland's voice will probably sound close enough to make fans happy (if such a thing is even possible these days).

Mostly, I'm not sure why people are mad that Hayter isn't voicing a character that he never voiced to begin with. Doesn't make logical sense to me. I think people need to chill out and wait to see what happens before we condemn MGSV.

GOOD. Maybe Snake won't sound like a melodramatic first year drama student for the first time since he was given a voice.

David voices David. He voiced Big Boss a couple of times but the guy's getting older. What REALLY bothers me is WHO Hideo chose........a guy from a crappy Fox tv show? Seriously?

I can just see the new demographic that's going to jump on board because of that...
"Hot diggity *knee slap*, he's gonna get them terroris' who are tryin' to take our jobs! Goddamn commie-nazi terrorists from Japan. Why, back in my day young people had respect and I could ride the trolley for a nickle."

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here