PlayStation 4 Recruits Two Free-To-Play MMOs

PlayStation 4 Recruits Two Free-To-Play MMOs

Fans of Sony Online Entertainment's online games may notice a fresh burst of life on the servers.

"It only does everything" may be the tagline for the PlayStation 3, but it may have to yield that title to its successor as the details continue to roll in. You can add massively-multiplayer games to the list of the things the PlayStation 4 "does" now: Sony Online Entertainment has announced that it will be porting two of its most popular MMO titles to the next-gen console. Planetside 2 and DC Universe Online, both free-to-play, will be available for console audiences with the standard assortment of subscription plans and microtransactions.

Both games are an easy fit for the PlayStation 4's catalogue. DC Universe Online is currently available on the PS3, with a surprisingly large following of console players, so it makes sense that upgrading to the new Sony platform won't cost players their console MMO progress. Meanwhile, Planetside 2 has been eyeing a console port for some time. While the immense MMOFPS never made it to the PS3 - possibly due to competing interests with CCP's Dust 514 on the same platform - it looks like the war for Auraxis will continue on the next generation of hardware.

"Since the launch of the original EverQuest, we have pioneered major shifts in the development of MMOs and videogames as a whole," says SOE president John Smedley, "and now we're bringing out titles to the forefront of next-gen gaming. Players are evolving and want a variety of ways to access and play games. Our goal is to deliver epic gaming experiences that players crave while harnessing the awesome power and technology of this incredible new platform."

Source: Joystiq

Ok, THERE is a good reason to buy the PS4...what? I always wanted to play that game.

erttheking:
Ok, THERE is a good reason to buy the PS4...what? I always wanted to play that game.

it is a very good game apparently.

totalbiscuit is a big fan. it was no4 in his games of 2012

i wonder if they'll be playing alongside PC users :o

I'm still surprised of the existence and survival of DCUO. I reaaaaaally tried to get into that game and so did my friends, but the game is just...hard to play. Not because of the difficulty curve but it's just boring and bland and...well, it barely feels like a MMO. And amazingly, there's not a lot of people around whenever I play. That's just my opinion.

At any rate, I am curious about Planetside 2. I am glad typical PC MMOs are being brought to consoles. Now, to decide whether I should get a next gen console...

Sleekit:

erttheking:

totalbiscuit is a big fan.

It's not impossible, they did it with Defiance. Of course, it would result in a total blood bath when the new PS4 players met the experienced PC gamers.

it seems sony is making a push atm to get f2p titles onto the PS4.
there's these and Warframe was announced just the other day as well.

its an interesting development given it means you should be able to download a fair pile of quality "free" games straight off the bat...especially if you like pvp & shooters.

i wonder how extensive this will become...because there is A LOT of decent f2p titles out there in PC land.

...and i don't think microsoft is at all inclined to do "free to play" *snigger*

erttheking:

Other then the fact it isn't the Xbone?
I'm shocked to =/

I wonder if PSO2 will make its way onto the PS4 in the coming months? Its Vita port is pretty good and it would be right at home on the PS4.

erttheking:

Sleekit:

erttheking:

totalbiscuit is a big fan.

It's not impossible, they did it with Defiance. Of course, it would result in a total blood bath when the new PS4 players met the experienced PC gamers.

PS2 is one of those games where a new player has a decent chance of killing a player thats been playing since launch.

Sleekit:

erttheking:

I very much hope so, the more population for both to fight against the better.

VanQ:
I wonder if PSO2 will make its way onto the PS4 in the coming months? Its Vita port is pretty good and it would be right at home on the PS4.

i would suggest that if sony is going for PC f2p content in a big way (which they seem to be doing) and has a good relationship with the games makers (which a Vita port would kinda indicate) then there may well be a pretty good chance.

i mean once they start doing this and fully supporting it (with no stupid thousands of dollar charges for an update and stuff like MS did on 360)...they are gonna get a lotta calls...

They're late to the party now that more people see F2P ends up costing more in the long run than a pull priced game, and made frustrating enough to encourage purchase of digital content.

either that, or they know full well they can exploit the microtransactions and make it pay to win like a lot of them.

Nurb:
They're late to the party now that more people see F2P ends up costing more in the long run than a pull priced game, and made frustrating enough to encourage purchase of digital content.

either that, or they know full well they can exploit the microtransactions and make it pay to win like a lot of them.

oh don't be so downbeat. f2p games aren't that bad. it depends on the game.

they have a bad rep in the west because a lot of failed AAA gmes went f2p as a money grab but in the east...custom built f2p games dominate, provide quality gaming and don't expect a large spend from players.

its a numbers game y'see. you get a large player base and you can still make a shit load of money just selling some tat like...hats ;)

Sleekit:

Nurb:

oh don't be so downbeat. f2p games aren't that bad. it depends on the game.

they have a bad rep in the west because a lot of failed AAA gmes went f2p as a money grab but in the east...custom built f2p games dominate, provide quality gaming and don't expect a large spend from players.

its a numbers game y'see. you get a large player base and you can still make a shit load of money just selling some tat like...hats ;)

I know there are a few games that have it right, but most just can't pull it off. I'm not pessimistic, I'm just a realist!

Nurb:

Honestly if a game gets frustrating because you MUST need to put in some money in order to play I just stop playing it, and these too, while not really my thing, they're quite entertaining without putting money, except for DCUO's end content (and banning people for using keyboard and mouse).

Nurb:
I know there are a few games that have it right, but most just can't pull it off. I'm not pessimistic, I'm just a realist!

customization (everything from hats to mounts to pets to homes) = ok
convenience (faster levelling or levelling of crafting, bank/bag space in an MMORPG, stuff like that) = ok
new races (which is actually just more customization) = still ok
side content = still ok
expansions = still ok
anything that make someone more powerful than others and that cannot be obtained via in game means = BAD and not only bad but its very existence will probably lose you players and potential players.

so you see there is actually a lot to potentially sell without having to hit "BAD".

have some faith. most f2p developers know the rules by now.

So Xbone is enforcing PC style draconian DRM Policies and the PS4?
Sony Want to give you a free MMORPG or two because "you are awesome".

So other words Sony is getting the Customer Base

Sleekit:

its an interesting development given it means you should be able to download a fair pile of quality "free" games straight off the bat...especially if you like pvp & shooters.

i wonder how extensive this will become...because there is A LOT of decent f2p titles out there in PC land.

...and i don't think microsoft is at all inclined to do "free to play" *snigger*

You've got to admit it's a smart move on Sony's part, people can buy the console, go home with maybe a game or 2 they got with it, and presto they have 4+ games on day 1, can't do much better than that.

RicoADF:

Sleekit:

You've got to admit it's a smart move on Sony's part, people can buy the console, go home with maybe a game or 2 they got with it, and presto they have 4+ games on day 1, can't do much better than that.

ye if it takes off...especially in Asia...could be a massive development tbh

ok sony announce maplestory next :P

Sleekit:

Nurb:

customization (everything from hats to mounts to pets to homes) = ok
convenience (faster levelling or levelling of crafting, bank/bag space in an MMORPG, stuff like that) = ok
new races (which is actually just more customization) = still ok
side content = still ok
expansions = still ok
anything that make someone more powerful than others and that cannot be obtained via in game means = BAD and not only bad but its very existence will probably lose you players and potential players.

so you see there is actually a lot to potentially sell without having to hit "BAD".

have some faith. most f2p developers know the rules by now.

Star Trek Online ticks off the correct boxes and crosses out the wrong one, theres a reason it's the only MMO I play regularly. That and also because it feels more like Star Trek Command than World of Warcraft, which is a big plus in my books. I wonder if STO will come to the PS4, hmmmm......

I've got my PS4 already booked, and arranging my room over the next few weeks so will leave room for it to be plugged in :-)

Sorry if this sounds like a noob/ignorant question but how does one play an MMO on a console without a keyboard? How do you communicate without the ability to type? Or are you supposed to use voice chat the entire time, and how does that work in big cities?
E.g. making a group for a dungeon, publicly selling something, or suggesting a strategy in PvP. How does one type that?

I also presume everything will have auto-targeting or tab-targeting?

Yuuki:
Sorry if this sounds like a noob/ignorant question but how does one play an MMO on a console without a keyboard? How do you communicate without the ability to type? Or are you supposed to use voice chat the entire time, and how does that work in big cities?
E.g. making a group for a dungeon, publicly selling something, or suggesting a strategy in PvP. How does one type that?

I also presume everything will have auto-targeting or tab-targeting?

well for one thing i assume the PS4 will inherently support voice chat like xbox live (i couldn't see it being used in citys in an MMORPG but maybe in groups and definitely in FPS MMOs perhaps alongside quick response selections) and for another there are lots of diverse designs of on screen text input systems around nowadays that have developed in recent years of the back of phones and touchsceens usage etc

also PS3 has a small touchscreen on its controllers so that might be worked in somehow.

in fact with predictive text systems there may even be better spelling and more coherent chat than there is in many PC MMOs atm XD

and ye i could see tab targeting but 2 of the 3 announced in recent days are basically FPS MMOs so they are probably just point and shoot like a normal console FPS i guess.

all in all i don't think its a major issue it just needs a little creative thinking applied.

if anything console players are actually probably far more generally familiar with talking in games that PC players.

its kind of a pet bugbare of mine that in this day and age MMOs generally don't have voice chat and don't have your character animate when you talk...but then i do sound like a Dwarf and not an "xbox live kiddy"...

Cognimancer:
snip

I've heard Warframe is also going to be on the PS4, so, that'd be 3 if its true

I will give them credit for picking two very decent games to start their list. While PS2 is a great game (freaking huge levels) I would love to see Tribes come out on console.

Lunar Templar:

Cognimancer:
snip

I've heard Warframe is also going to be on the PS4, so, that'd be 3 if its true

Yeah it is, here's the trailer:

OT: I have almost all the games here so this doesn't interest me too much, but anything that gives them a new playerbase is OK by me.

More PS2 noobs for the slaughter? Sounds like fun :)

webkilla:
More PS2 noobs for the slaughter? Sounds like fun :)

No doubt the PS4 and PC versions will have no connection with each other. Seperate servers and all.

Sleekit:

erttheking:

The game went down hill, fast. Now all that's left is a band of whiners who want their part of the game to be the only part.

Infantry want air out, and tanks to only fight tanks.

Tankers want infantry out, and air to ONLY fight other air while they spam AA.

and air sits there and takes nerf after nerf because Higby doesn't know what to do with it.

Its a complete cluster fuck and the lead designer, Higby, fails to do anything about anything. All he does is nerf and buff, and hope his random buffs and nerfs will suddenly fix the game.

He even thinks that putting protective bubbles to make all bases infantry-only and detach bases from the rest of the battle outside is a "good idea" when Planetside 2 was all about combined arms. Now he changed his entire mindset to make it infantry only with vehicles only being transports or fighting between bases.

Population is reportedly dropping, and I can't blame them. The dev team do not give you a reason to put faith in them, and its easy to accuse them of playing favorites by giving certain factions preferential treatment, or better weapons.

Planetside 2 devolved quickly, and caught the entire dev team off guard. Every update they try to "beat" battlefield 3 by adding new "cool" weapons and nerfing the older ones they replaced, but all that did was piss off the people who saw that as "pay 2 win."

I wanted Planetside 2 to succeed, but SOE marketed Planetside 2 to the wrong people and tries to focus on beating Battlefield 3. Its all short term "cool" stuff, no long term investment. It won't work, for the same reason Medal of Honor didn't kill Call of Duty.

It was a good game, but it has no focus or direction. Now it seems content with only "quality of life" patches (new weapons, balances, and bug fixes) instead of fixing the glaring design issues of the game like resources and locations meaning nothing which leads to spammable vehicles. Which is the main reason vehicles were such a problem in the first place.

Now, that's one reason to get PS4. My PC could barely run Planetside 2, which was one of the reasons I stopped playing it. Being able to buy a device which is much cheaper than a high-end gaming PC that is able to run PS2 without problems is a good thing indeed. The only problem here is that it's been ages since I played an FPS on a console, and last time I tried I was put off by the inferior controls.

Sleekit:

That's not gonna happen, PC players will be stomping the console users all the time. Not saying that PC users are more skilled or experienced, just that there's a reason why many FPS games support controllers, yet not many PC gamers use them. Keyboard and mouse is flat out better for shooters.

Sleekit:

erttheking:

It'sssss okay, however like EVE online, you need to be willing to play with a group of people in a guild/corporation/whatever it's called. It's an entirely different experience than playing solo.

Ultratwinkie:

Sleekit:

erttheking:

The game went down hill, fast. Now all that's left is a band of whiners who want their part of the game to be the only part.

and air sits there and takes nerf after nerf because Higby doesn't know what to do with it.

Its a complete cluster fuck and the lead designer, Higby, fails to do anything about anything. All he does is nerf and buff, and hope his random buffs and nerfs will suddenly fix the game.

He even thinks that putting protective bubbles to make all bases infantry-only and detach bases from the rest of the battle outside is a "good idea" when Planetside 2 was all about combined arms. Now he changed his entire mindset to make it infantry only with vehicles only being transports or fighting between bases.

Population is reportedly dropping, and I can't blame them. The dev team do not give you a reason to put faith in them, and its easy to accuse them of playing favorites by giving certain factions preferential treatment, or better weapons.

Planetside 2 devolved quickly, and caught the entire dev team off guard. Every update they try to "beat" battlefield 3 by adding new "cool" weapons and nerfing the older ones they replaced, but all that did was piss off the people who saw that as "pay 2 win."

I wanted Planetside 2 to succeed, but SOE marketed Planetside 2 to the wrong people and tries to focus on beating Battlefield 3. Its all short term "cool" stuff, no long term investment. It won't work, for the same reason Medal of Honor didn't kill Call of Duty.

It was a good game, but it has no focus or direction. Now it seems content with only "quality of life" patches (new weapons, balances, and bug fixes) instead of fixing the glaring design issues of the game like resources and locations meaning nothing which leads to spammable vehicles. Which is the main reason vehicles were such a problem in the first place.

To be totally honest, the problems came in three variants:

1. Graphical issues with sniping or long distance firing was constantly ruined by people clpping in and out of existence.

2. Main Battle Tanks being overpowered due to the driver being able to use the main gun, so the result is ainstead of 5 fully staffed MBTs you had 15 half filled ones, relegating the lightning tank to that piece of shit you use when your real tank is on CD or when you need some fast AA support.

3. Open fields don't have enough cover for ground forces which leaves them overly vulnerabe to effortless staffing attacks from the air with too few ways to adequate respond. (No AA attachment for the engineer turret?)

Ultratwinkie:
snip

That's kinda depressing, I was thinking about trying to get back into PS2 (tried it before, but never really had any time to devote to it), guess I can always wait and see if the first one goes F2P and see if that's any good.

Devoneaux:

Ultratwinkie:

Sleekit:

To be totally honest, the problems came in three variants:

1. Graphical issues with sniping or long distance firing was constantly ruined by people clpping in and out of existence.

2. Main Battle Tanks being overpowered due to the driver being able to use the main gun, so the result is ainstead of 5 fully staffed MBTs you had 15 half filled ones, relegating the lightning tank to that piece of shit you use when your real tank is on CD or when you need some fast AA support.

3. Open fields don't have enough cover for ground forces which leaves them overly vulnerabe to effortless staffing attacks from the air with too few ways to adequate respond. (No AA attachment for the engineer turret?)

Its worse than that now:

1. Air is blown out of the sky from miles away. Terran Republic lockdown maxes. Because the TR get ALL the AA AND on top of that get the fastest ESF that no one can even hope to catch up with. On top of their huge population edge, they still get the better weapons against air.

2. Tanks were buffed because people whined about how air shouldn't be able to even attack a tank, and now we have tanks that can snipe aircraft out of the sky with normal tank shells with little effort.

The AA for tanks is outclassed by how AP rounds can turn a tank into a killing machine of EVERYTHING. The shells even snipe infantry at longer ranges than a normal sniper rifle. Its easier and more accurate too for god sakes. Hell, the entire catalog of AA is outclassed by fucking MAX suits with dual bursters that can hit air from across the entire continent.

3. With tanks being OP again, and tank zergs back in the spotlight. Any attempt to balance tanks now is met with "NOOOOO! I want to be a 1337 tanker COD style!" To make it worse most of the people complaining to Higby don't even understand how real war or how real militaries work.

Some of these people seriously think real life tanks can't be blown up by anything because "weak spots are stupid, real tanks don't have that."

I hear people say, constantly, that "aircraft and infantry have no counters to tanks, only other tanks can fight tanks."

So when you have a fanbase that acts this way, because PS2 was marketed to people who have a wrong idea of how military dynamics work, you get a dev team that is forced to cater to them. The original veterans of Planetside 1 were the ones hyping the damn thing, and once they figured out it was a just a worse version of Battlefield 3, and a bad reskin at that, they just up and left.

So the vets are gone. The hype is gone. The only ones left are people who invested too much to leave, the die hard ans who can't find another large scale game like this, and the selfish trolls who can't stand being killed. Oh, and the lowlife griefers and "spies" that plague the game that the devs do nothing about.

Some people are so die hard for their faction they roll another faction, a spy, and grief that faction so their original faction can win. I even seen people attaching C4 to friendly tanks and aircraft and blow them up. Nothing is ever done about them. They aren't the worst of the player base either.

The majority of the official forums is whining, trolling, and complaining. There is even a running joke off calling the game "whine-about-what-killed-you-side." Its by far the worst player base I have ever encountered in any game, they attack each other just as much as they attack all of the dev's decisions and only a couple of them can put together a coherent plan to fix Planetside 2. PS2 might have a more toxic player base than League of Legends at this point.

Their plans are to make it infantry only, or follow an image of the military dreamed up by bad action movies.

It had the potential to be a great game, and it was ruined by a jaded and spiteful player base that had no idea what it was talking about and a dev team that doesn't know what it is doing. When it needs to listen to its reasonable fans, they don't. When fans give the worse advice possible, the dev team follows it to the letter. Its blind leading the blind. Its worse when the developers don't even bother to engage the community on its own website, it engages people on reddit and some Planetside 1 fansite.

So sony announces 2 mmos, that sony owns.....for their new sony system....that doesnt need any real changes because their specs are really low. ....they really think we are this piss stupid?

RicoADF:

Star Trek Online ticks off the correct boxes and crosses out the wrong one, theres a reason it's the only MMO I play regularly. That and also because it feels more like Star Trek Command than World of Warcraft, which is a big plus in my books. I wonder if STO will come to the PS4, hmmmm......

I've got my PS4 already booked, and arranging my room over the next few weeks so will leave room for it to be plugged in :-)

STO? Jolan Tru fellow STOer!

That would be quite interesting to see STO on the PS4.. maybe sony could lend cryptic some programmers to fix up some of the bugs.. other than that its the only MMO I play

captcha: idk my bff jill
What the fuck captcha..? o.O

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or