Sony Will Showcase Over 40 Games at E3

Sony Will Showcase Over 40 Games at E3

The 40 games will be spread out across the PS3, PS4 and PSVita platforms.

One of the bigger criticisms of both Sony and Microsoft's reveal of their new game consoles was the distinct lack of actual games shown. Sony, at least, wants to use E3 to make up for this, and confirm to us that its consoles are first and foremost for playing videogames (something that I didn't think it would ever have to clarify), by showing off over 40 games for its PS3, PS4 and PSVita systems at the upcoming game show.

Sony's E3 lineup starts with its press conference on Monday, June 10th at 5:30pm Pacific/8:30pm Eastern, and will be followed up by three days of the "PlayStation LiveCast show" featuring gameplay demos and developer interviews for upcoming games.

Some of the games you can expect to see during the event are Beyond: Two Souls from Quantic Dream, Destiny from Bungie, DriveClub from Evolution Studios, The Evil Within from Tango GameWorks, Gran Turismo 6 from Polyphony Digital, inFAMOUS: Second Son from Sucker Punch Productions, Killzone: Shadow Fall and Killzone Mercenary from Guerrilla Games, The Last of Us from Naughty Dog, Tearaway from Media Molecule, and Wolfenstein: The New Order from MachineGames.

You'll be able to watch Sony's livestream of the event from its various website, as well as directly from your PS3 - look for the icon under your XMB's What's New section - or PSVita - via its Nico Nico app.

Lastly, Sony has invited the first 40 members of the public to arrive at Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena on June 10th by 4pm a chance to leave the unwashed masses behind and sit in on its E3 press conference in person.

Source: PlayStation Blog

I'm super excited for this year's E3. I really hope to be dazzled by some new games, as the new hardware hasn't even come close.

I had some good times with my PS3, and even one or two with my barely touched Wii (giggidy).

However nowhere close to as much greatness as I had with my PS2 or even PS1 for that matter. My PS2 library easily dwarfs all my others from NES days till now.

I *NEED* something to look forward to playing other than Dark Souls 2. If Sony wows us, and Nintendo has some 3DS magic to impart aside from LttP 2 and Yoshi's Island 2 (both look great so far) I'll be a happy panda.

KoudelkaMorgan:

I *NEED* something to look forward to playing other than Dark Souls 2. If Sony wows us, and Nintendo has some 3DS magic to impart aside from LttP 2 and Yoshi's Island 2 (both look great so far) I'll be a happy panda.

You forgot the 90 minute conference of Pokemon X and Y.

Seriously, this'll be awesome.

Right now, I just feel like clutching my old systems and never letting go. Sony, just say you aren't going the MS route and you'll have the next gen locked down. Otherwise it'll be just Wii U and PC for me.

Why do I have a sneaking suspicion that The Last Guardian won't be among them.

Casual Shinji:

I've considered it dead in my head. Ueda just quit showing up, even as a contractor, and the source code was lost when a rogue employee formatted everything. That's just what I tell myself to avoid getting disappointed every time there's a Sony announcement. Whatever Ueda left Sony for, I hope it's still in video games. The man has a gift for the medium, and I hope he isn't squandering it in some way.

As they say, "Quality over Quantity." Hopefully it's going to be quality of quantity over quality over quantity.

I want to see a console do something a PC can't beyond have exclusives. At the moment it's "is cheaper... just".

Terminate421:

KoudelkaMorgan:

There's gonna be that!? yay. Lots of yay.

OT: That'll be impressive if a fair amount of them are actually for the PS4. I'm still just elated over seeing the new Super Smash Bros stuff.

Soooo what's Sony trying to tell us? Do they genuinely care about consumers? Or are they trying to outweigh the bad things about the console that has yet to be announced?

Hmmm

Actually announcing new/original IPs? What is this, a game conference?

DrunkOnEstus:

Casual Shinji:

I've considered it dead in my head. Ueda just quit showing up, even as a contractor, and the source code was lost when a rogue employee formatted everything. That's just what I tell myself to avoid getting disappointed every time there's a Sony announcement. Whatever Ueda left Sony for, I hope it's still in video games. The man has a gift for the medium, and I hope he isn't squandering it in some way.

Weaklings! I still have it on my pre-order list at my favorite game store. It will be released, along with another Legacy of Kain title and the concluding chapter of Shenmue.

*runs away with fingers in her ears, going LALALALALALLALALALALALA*

How many will be something you can't get on another platform?

My bet is 5.

Abomination:
I want to see a console do something a PC can't beyond have exclusives. At the moment it's "is cheaper... just".

at this point, I'd settle for decent exclusives.

When they try and do something a PC doesn't, they tend to come up with things like "watch you masturbate."

And "require you log in every 24 hours."

Abomination:

Actually considering the quality control and reliably of the 360 I wouldn't bet against the Xbone eventually costing more than a decent PC rig due to repairs and replacements.

Remember half of the 25 million 360 units MS expects to sell in the next few years will 'come from replacements.'

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124326-Microsoft-Predicts-100-Million-Total-Xbox-360-Sales

FINALLY! Some good news in this whole sorry affair! Some of these games might even be halfway-decent....

*braces himself for more PR people doing PR stuff to create hype and desirable PR so that consumers will leave as much rationality at home as possible when making their decisions*

I'm such a killjoy, but I did score kinda high on the "How grizzled are you" quiz.

Anyone else not largely impressed by the lineup here?

Steven Bogos:
Some of the games you can expect to see during the event are Beyond: Two Souls from Quantic Dream, Destiny from Bungie, DriveClub from Evolution Studios, The Evil Within from Tango GameWorks, Gran Turismo 6 from Polyphony Digital, inFAMOUS: Second Son from Sucker Punch Productions, Killzone: Shadow Fall and Killzone Mercenary from Guerrilla Games, The Last of Us from Naughty Dog, Tearaway from Media Molecule, and Wolfenstein: The New Order from MachineGames.

I mean really. They're padding the count with lots of racing games and shooters, and the games that don't fall under those two categories are not largely impressive either. I count only one that I have even mild interest in, and that's only because it looks like The Evil Within *might* turn out to be one of those "Silent Hill, But Actually Good" sort of games.

And I'm guessing most of them aren't exclusive to the consoles in question, either. Of this list, I wager less than half will be on the PS4 (I estimate around 10-15), and of those, less than half will be truly exclusive to the PS4 (probably around 5-7).

So....you're not selling your console with numbers alone, Sony, and the games you HAVE shown aren't impressive. Try again.

mechalynx:

DrunkOnEstus:

Casual Shinji:

Weaklings! I still have it on my pre-order list at my favorite game store. It will be released, along with another Legacy of Kain title and the concluding chapter of Shenmue.

*runs away with fingers in her ears, going LALALALALALLALALALALALA*

if Sony announced Shenmue 3 on the PS4 I would go out and pre order, and even pre-pay for one right now and I still hold out hope for it, call me a fool if you like

ATLUS? ATLUS, do you hear me?

See that PS4, a certain Persona 5 game needs to be on that. Like yesterday. In fact, I want you to break the universe to do this.

And get a real Dragon persona out there. Please. *insert cuddly wuddly puppy eyes here*

Sony doesn't seem to be messing around this time. Which is good, they have the overall most diverse exclusives attached to them, and the most sleeper hits. They really need a worldwide Vita price drop though.

So Sony plans to fill their stage-time with talk about a multitude of games? Probably the best thing they can do. That way, they won't have time to talk about the restrictions and limitations they're planning for PS4 console owners.

I still can't see Sony suddenly becoming magnanimous towards customers and their right to freely use what they've purchased. I bet it won't be a month after the release of the PS4 that they're suing someone for jailbreaking the console.

Abomination:

Well, I like split screen. It means a lot to me, being a college student.

windlenot:

Abomination:

PC already does it.

http://www.pcsplitscreen.co.uk/

The availability of split-screen depends more on the developer than the platform.

MinionJoe:

windlenot:

Abomination:

PC already does it.

http://www.pcsplitscreen.co.uk/

The availability of split-screen depends more on the developer than the platform.

Huh. I didn't know that, and now I do. Thanks!

But still on my point, it's not nearly as widespread and excpected. And as I just started getting into PC gaming with my laptop, it's not even good enough to process split-screen, probably. But hey, it's out there and it's kinda my fault for having a piss-poor computer. Or is it?

MinionJoe:
So Sony plans to fill their stage-time with talk about a multitude of games? Probably the best thing they can do. That way, they won't have time to talk about the restrictions and limitations they're planning for PS4 console owners.

I still can't see Sony suddenly becoming magnanimous towards customers and their right to freely use what they've purchased. I bet it won't be a month after the release of the PS4 that they're suing someone for jailbreaking the console.

Well that's awfully cynical. Sony's doing a lot of one-upmanship with regards to Microsoft, and a lot of damage control with regards to the PS3's failures. They're being very aggressive this time around, and doing something to upset their potential customers (especially decisions which a certain other company has already received much flak for) doesn't seem like the grandest idea.

OT: I'm excite. That's a lot of games, which means a lot of actual news from E3 this year. (As I recall, last year's was really... just an advertisement for games we already knew about..)

Both Sony and MS will be putting their best foot forward to be sure. The fact Sony also said no backwards compatibility is very odd to me. I for one would think it great for a system to play the previous gen. I forget if that extended to the PSN games as well. None the less if they're that focused on making PS4 it's own system without relying on past games; then they better floor everyone at E3. No holding back. MS is on thin ice (and hot water) with it's fans. Won't be too hard for Sony fans to join in on the rage. Problem is if expectations are too high, nothing Sony does will matter. Self hyping ourselves isn't going to do any good. Just got to wait and see. MS might pull out of the apparent nose dive, but not having a chat session after their presentation makes me doubtful. Nintendo might surprise everyone, Sony could flop. Nothing is guaranteed. 2 more days.....

Zachary Amaranth:

When they try and do something a PC doesn't, they tend to come up with things like "watch you masturbate."

And "require you log in every 24 hours."

That provided my keyboard with a handy shower. Thanks, Zachary, it needed a good clean.

On topic: Not hugely interested in any of the games in the news post. I hear The Last of Us is pretty good, but isn't an exclusive... So we're back to exclusives being the only selling point again.

I guess GT6 could be good. Haven't got a steering wheel, so racing games on the PC are a bit pants. Would like properly destructible cars this time kthx. Won't get it though. Just weird bumper car physics again, I'm sure.

Arslan Aladeen:
Right now, I just feel like clutching my old systems and never letting go. Sony, just say you aren't going the MS route and you'll have the next gen locked down. Otherwise it'll be just Wii U and PC for me.

May I direct you to these fine links:
http://www.destructoid.com/sony-ps4-won-t-block-used-games-246220.phtml

http://kotaku.com/5985874/ps4-will-not-require-an-always+online-connection

The PS4 doesn't require the internet to play games and doesn't block used games, there are other sources that say the same, a quick google search or even search of this website will show it.

OT: Good to hear, I look forward to seeing what I'll be picking up with my new PS4 :-)

Arawn:
Both Sony and MS will be putting their best foot forward to be sure. The fact Sony also said no backwards compatibility is very odd to me. I for one would think it great for a system to play the previous gen. I forget if that extended to the PSN games as well. None the less if they're that focused on making PS4 it's own system without relying on past games; then they better floor everyone at E3. No holding back. MS is on thin ice (and hot water) with it's fans. Won't be too hard for Sony fans to join in on the rage. Problem is if expectations are too high, nothing Sony does will matter. Self hyping ourselves isn't going to do any good. Just got to wait and see. MS might pull out of the apparent nose dive, but not having a chat session after their presentation makes me doubtful. Nintendo might surprise everyone, Sony could flop. Nothing is guaranteed. 2 more days.....

Unfortunately because their switching from the cell chipset to the x86 that PC's use it isn't possible (atleast not within reason) to do backwards compatibility. They would need to build a PS3 into the PS4, which would drive costs up something Sony is trying to avoid. I wish they would offer such a system but I can understand why that isn't viable. On the bright side, they have said that it will help in future which sounds like they plan to stay with standard PC chipsets for the next console/s, which would remove the issue in the future.

Terminate421:

Woah, hold on. A 90 minute conference on X and Y? Kick-ass. I'm actually excited for E3 this time. I hope they the evolution chains of the starters.

The_Echo:
Well that's awfully cynical. Sony's doing a lot of one-upmanship with regards to Microsoft, and a lot of damage control with regards to the PS3's failures. They're being very aggressive this time around, and doing something to upset their potential customers (especially decisions which a certain other company has already received much flak for) doesn't seem like the grandest idea.

History has a habit of repeating itself. And while everyone wants to recreate the Roman Empire, no one seems to worry about triggering another French Revolution.

Sony has an established history of trampling consumer rights when it suits their needs. What I've seen so far of the PS4 is a lot of marketing PR without any real policy change. So, yes, their aggressive PR campaign has certainly one-upped Microsoft. I'll give you that! :)

And Sony has had a bad fiscal year or two. They certainly realize that they need to change something in order to stay profitable. But I highly doubt that they are considering loosening the legal hold on their property that they've fought so long and hard to establish.

They are, after all, the company that created SecuROM. They are the company that routinely blocks online content that contains even the slightest hint of Sony property. And they are the company that has sued their own customers for modifying Sony hardware that they purchased.

Sorry, but hardware is legally owned by the purchaser. There is no "license" to use hardware. It's not rented from Sony. A customer has a right to modify their purchase, so long as they are willing to invalidate the warranty.

And if those modifications were for illegal activity, then that's a matter for government agencies to enforce. Not private, international corporations.

[/soapbox]

I do hope Sony changes for the better. Because I'm certainly not buying an XBox One. ;)

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here