Thief Trailer Asks, "Did You Miss Me?"

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Thief Trailer Asks, "Did You Miss Me?"

Eidos Montreal's Thief trailer for E3 is here, but there's still no gameplay to be seen.

Stealing "sets me free in the night," says new Garrett in the E3 trailer for Thief, taking a far more romantic view of his vocation than old Garrett, who stole things because he had rent to pay and as I recall mused more than once about making a big score and getting out of the business. And that's not the only thing that appears to have changed; he's also rocking a very funky robo-bow and seems far more willing to charge in and bust heads to get what he wants.

This is all just a teaser, of course, designed to stoke interest rather than show off what the game will actually be like, and dodging crossbow bolts in mid-air is far more visually exciting than, say, skulking in the shadows for 15 minutes mentally mapping out a guard's route. I do find it a little concerning that there's still no gameplay on display, however, especially since this is the E3 trailer - the big one, in other words. Thief has never been a particularly easy game to show off but we already know it's coming, so isn't it about time we got a proper look behind the curtain?

Thief is being developed for the Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC. No release date has been set.

No I didn't MISS
I... was trying for a passive run.

And why is the video on autoplay?

Sigh the thief trails don't get what thief is about. The thrill was never about losing the guards, it was about getting your targets and no one ever knowing you were there.

Putting it in full-screen causes some seizure inducing flashing, just thought you should know.

EDIT: Problem on my end, solved now. My bad.

synobal:
Sigh the thief trails don't get what thief is about. The thrill was never about losing the guards, it was about getting your targets and no one ever knowing you were there.

Yep. If you go around fighting and running away from people in Thief, you're a shitty thief.

Also, this isn't Garret. It doesn't have his voice.

And yes, I am still angry about it. Mainly because they did it for the dumbest reasons. They did it because they needed an actor to do motion and voice and facial capture at the same time? WHY?! IT'S A FIRST-PERSON STEALTH GAME AND THE MAIN CHARACTER WEARS A MASK! WHY THE FUCK DO YOU NEED FACIAL CAPTURE DURING MOTION CAPTURE FOR THAT?!

Just... ugh. I want this game to be good, but lately the news I've heard from this game just does not inspire confidence.

I missed Garrett. Not sure who this guy is, wasn't he in AFI? :P

They totally did not get the character. It's not just the lack of Russell, it's the writing. Hopefully there's some silly twist where we find out this is the real Garrett's angsty son.

synobal:

This. In the original thief, it was all about not being seen at all. I hope they have something like the "ghost" bonus achievement from Deus Ex: Human Revolution. That would be nice for us old-time fans to aim for.

So here we are.
With the Hitman and apparently now the Thief franchise loosing their ways, the only hope I've left for good future stealth game franchise is Dishonored. It was surely not perfect, but the stealth mechanics and gameplay were solid and the world was fantastic. Story could was too predictable and the powers were unbalanced. Still, this game was fun and what more could you ask for?

I do miss Garrett. Not sure who this guy is. But if you've gotten that many guards shooting at you, you're playing it wrong.

Robo-bow doesn't bother me. Though I'd like to see the collection of arrows from previous games (water, gas, rope, fire).

Also, I will continue to carry my cross for Benny the guard, Hammerites, and Pagans.

It may just be an advertising scheme for Thief to appeal to the mass-market. For all we know, it'll be a faithful sequel/reboot. After all, Squeenix-Eidos can't fall harder after the Deus Ex: The Fail misstep, can they?

Regardless, I clearly won't be preordering this game out of trepidation. Last game I preordered was Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and that was because the entire marketing for the game was talking about how it would remain faithful to the franchise (and it did). Thief seems to be going the wrong way with the marketing, and I'll wait until reviews are out before making a decision.

Question. This a reboot, so obviously they are wanting to appeal to newcomers. Why is the tagline of the trailer "did you miss me?" when newcomers didn't know he was gone in the first place? /slight nitpicking

Trailer started good, showing sneaking and stealing like any thief with half a brain would do. Then it went down the action route. Hard to mark that against it though, I don't think any of the Thief games have had trailer that properly conveys what makes Thief, Thief. Still no gameplay shown though, some gameplay would really help me get excited about this Thief game again.

Irridium:

synobal:

Yep. If you go around fighting and running away from people in Thief, you're a shitty thief.

And yes, I am still angry about it. Mainly because they did it for the dumbest reasons. They did it because they needed an actor to do motion and voice and facial capture at the same time? WHY?! IT'S A FIRST-PERSON STEALTH GAME AND THE MAIN CHARACTER WEARS A MASK! WHY THE FUCK DO YOU NEED FACIAL CAPTURE DURING MOTION CAPTURE FOR THAT?!!

For the same reason you need black Vikings and people named Khan to not even LOOK exotic

Because sticking with the cannon means you're just racist!

Miss you? I don't know who you are. I knew this guy named Garret, spent a lot of time hanging out with him, but you don't sound like him, also he never moved in cut scenes.

synobal:

But I thought the thrill was deactivating all the Mechanist's robots in a conga line using only one water arrow per robot?!? I have been playing wrong the whole time? Really fuck those robots/guys.

Also in the not getting good vibes from ads crowd. I am not even an old member of the thief games crowd. I got into the games when Thief DS was out and everyone said the other games were better. So years later I bought them and instant thief fan.

Irridium:

synobal:

And yes, I am still angry about it. Mainly because they did it for the dumbest reasons. They did it because they needed an actor to do motion and voice and facial capture at the same time? WHY?! IT'S A FIRST-PERSON STEALTH GAME AND THE MAIN CHARACTER WEARS A MASK! WHY THE FUCK DO YOU NEED FACIAL CAPTURE DURING MOTION CAPTURE FOR THAT?!

Just... ugh. I want this game to be good, but lately the news I've heard from this game just does not inspire confidence.

To be fair, the trailer for Thief 2 wasn't reflective of the actual gameplay, either:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C543B6uJ88

The first 40 seconds or so totally could've doubled for a perfume commercial.

Anyway, I never managed to play a Thief game but somehow this is making me curious to try the previous titles.

Cowabungaa:

Anyway, I never managed to play a Thief game but somehow this is making me curious to try the previous titles.

They are pretty amazing. I basically consider Thief Gold + Thief 2 one really, really long game. Both are worth playing, though T2 has aged better (they really had the design down to a fine science in that one).

It might be petty of me and I don't know why but that bow annoys me.

2fish:
Bought Thief II maybe 2010/2011? What? I was busy ok.

No shame on it, I bought the whole series (Thief 1/2/3) last year and like you, I became an instant fan.

OT: I think I'm seriously lowering my expectations for this... the more I hear about this game, the more concerned I get about it.

Yes, i missed Thief but no. You are not thief and you will never be thief no matter what make up you put on or name you use.

Intros to the original Thief games:

It's possible that they are going for mass-market appeal, but I don't think that the modern gaming industry is capable of that kind of subtlety in sneaking in a good game like an original-pattern Thief.

EDIT: HOLY SHIT TURN OFF THAT AUTOPLAY. This isn't a youtube channel.

synobal:

You must have missed the change to the stealth genre in the last decade.

Letting no-one know you were there, by not being seen and leaving no trace you were there has become 'boring'. It much more 'fun' to just slaughter everyone. After all its still stealth if its from the shadows and no one see you, right? And if there's no survivors no one can say you were there.

It's sad, but the traditional stealth genre is a very niche market now, as modern gamers seem to have little patience for it.

Burnhardt:

synobal:

You must have missed the change to the stealth genre in the last decade.

Letting no-one know you were there, by not being seen and leaving no trace you were there has become 'boring'. It much more 'fun' to just slaughter everyone. After all its still stealth if its from the shadows and no one see you, right? And if there's no survivors no one can say you were there.

It's sad, but the traditional stealth genre is a very niche market now, as modern gamers seem to have little patience for it.

If anything, "true" stealth has had a resurgence lately. Human Revolution, while flawed as a Deus Ex game, was a very good stealth/infiltration game if you chose to play it that way. Ditto for Dishonored. The difference with Thief is that there should be no choice involved. You are a Thief, period. Guns blazing should be heavily frowned upon, as it was in the previous titles.

Is nobody else bothered by the appropriation of indie game Monaco's tag line "What's yours is mine?" It seems in poor taste for a AAA game to do this...

ResonanceGames:

They totally did not get the character. It's not just the lack of Russell, it's the writing. Hopefully there's some silly twist where we find out this is the real Garrett's angsty son.

Actually, I think this is the game that all the "more female protagonists in games" people should be up in arms about, given the ending to Thief 3. Then they could have her say things like that and it wouldn't be a problem, because it wouldn't be Garrett.

Not mangling a well loved character, pleasing the feminists, *and* keeping continuity all at once? YES PLEASE!

Miss you? Buddy, I don't even know you.

ResonanceGames:
To be fair, the trailer for Thief 2 wasn't reflective of the actual gameplay, either:

Yes, and to be fair, it's tough to show off gameplay when it consists primarily of "Where's he going? What's he doing? Where's he going? What's he doing? Where's he going? What's he doing? Where's he going? What's he doing? Where's he going? What's he doing? QUICK QUICK MOVE ACROSS THE ROOM HIIIIIIIIDE Where's he going? What's he doing? Where's he going? What's he doing? Where's he going? What's he doing? Where's he going? What's he doing?" But at this point, something more than a sly, winking "Hey, Garrett's back and now he's a ninja" is really overdue.

And those two old Thief trailers are a LOT cooler than this new one, too.

Andy Chalk:
Miss you? Buddy, I don't even know you.

ResonanceGames:

Yes, and to be fair, it's tough to show off gameplay when it consists primarily of "Where's he going? What's he doing? Where's he going? What's he doing? Where's he going? What's he doing? Where's he going? What's he doing? Where's he going? What's he doing? QUICK QUICK MOVE ACROSS THE ROOM HIIIIIIIIDE Where's he going? What's he doing? Where's he going? What's he doing? Where's he going? What's he doing? Where's he going? What's he doing?" But at this point, something more than a sly, winking "Hey, Garrett's back and now he's a ninja" is really overdue.

And those two old Thief trailers are a LOT cooler than this new one, too.

Oh I agree, I love that old Dan Thron art from the first two games. I'm just trying to find a bright side to this game and hold onto the possibility that maybe the gameplay will be good.

Schadrach:

ResonanceGames:

Actually, I think this is the game that all the "more female protagonists in games" people should be up in arms about, given the ending to Thief 3. Then they could have her say things like that and it wouldn't be a problem, because it wouldn't be Garrett.

Not mangling a well loved character, pleasing the feminists, *and* keeping continuity all at once? YES PLEASE!

Yeah, that's disappointing as well. We don't even need Garrett, his arc was wrapped up nicely. But if we're going to be Garrett, we might as well be the Garrett we actually know and love.

Hazzaslagga:
It might be petty of me and I don't know why but that bow annoys me.

It bothers me too, because that's not how bows work if you want them to be able to fire an arrow further than your toes. Plus it was what Hawkeye did in The Avengers.

I'll probably give this a miss and wait for a Thief game. Shan't hold my breath.

I find it kinda funny that nobody has mentioned the thing that irks me most about the trailer.

"What's yours is mine".

This aint thief. This is 50 cent.

The Artificially Prolonged:
Question. This a reboot, so obviously they are wanting to appeal to newcomers. Why is the tagline of the trailer "did you miss me?" when newcomers didn't know he was gone in the first place? /slight nitpicking

Trailer started good, showing sneaking and stealing like any thief with half a brain would do. Then it went down the action route. Hard to mark that against it though, I don't think any of the Thief games have had trailer that properly conveys what makes Thief, Thief. Still no gameplay shown though, some gameplay would really help me get excited about this Thief game again.

In fairness, how exactly do you make a trailer showing 6 minutes of cowering quietly in a corner while the guards walk by until you can predict their patterns well enough to dodge between them all?

I'm confused...why is everyone saying that the trailer was action heavy? Most of it was him sneaking or running and one guy shot an arrow at him. There wasn't any actual fighting. Actually, with CG brawls being popular trailer fodder these days, this trailer seemed refreshingly low-key to me.

I never played the original games, but I enjoyed Human Revolution so I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

This is not Thief. This is a developer with absolutely no imagination what-so-ever spending a pile of cash in order to make a generic action game with the hopes that fans of Thief will buy their game. This far more resembles... GI Joe? No? Ah, this far more resembles Transformers.

Looks like an advert for a low-budget TV series.

I have never seen a good live-action teaser for a game. Not. Ever.

grigjd3:
Ah, this far more resembles Transformers.

Whoawhoawhoa, dude, simmer down. Relax. Let's not go crazy. We haven't seen any actual gameplay at this point. Let's save that for when they pull an RE6 with the gameplay.

Animyr:
I'm confused...why is everyone saying that the trailer was action heavy? Most of it was him sneaking or running and one guy shot an arrow at him. There wasn't any actual fighting. Actually, with CG brawls being popular trailer fodder these days, this trailer seemed refreshingly low-key to me.

I never played the original games, but I enjoyed Human Revolution so I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

I agree, there's so much negativity surrounding this game it can only end in a load of confirmation bias. The amount of people complaining about how mainstream it is, and even a transformers comparison a little above, has my hipster-o-meter going haywire.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here