Nosgoth Brings Multiplayer To Legacy Of Kain

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Nosgoth Brings Multiplayer To Legacy Of Kain

Soul Reaver key art

Square Enix has a game called "Nosgoth" in the works, and while little is known, it appears to be a new, multiplayer-focused entry in the Legacy of Kain franchise.

Like many of the big hits to debut on the original PlayStation, the Legacy of Kain series has faded into obscurity over the years. This should be seen as a travesty, as the Legacy of Kain games have always offered an appropriately dark world full of vampires and other evil creatures as well as engaging, deep gameplay. If anything it's odd that we haven't seen any Legacy of Kain sequels any time recently - at least, that's what I would be saying had you asked me yesterday. This morning Square Enix offered a bit of news that makes everything I just typed moot.

According to the publisher, it's currently engaged in bringing a title called Nosgoth to market. What is Nosgoth? "Nosgoth exists and is in active development, but is not a traditional Legacy of Kain action-adventure game," states Square Enix community manager George Kelion. "Nosgoth is set in the same universe as previous [Legacy Of Kain] games, but on a different branch to the Blood Omen and Soul Reaver series."

Something of a spin-off then? That's neat, but it's not the most intriguing information Kelion shared. "The community should not be thinking of Nosgoth in terms of a single-player experience," he adds.

So it's a game set in the Legacy Of Kain universe that is not a "single-player experience?" That's unexpected. Any other surprises? "Nosgoth is not being developed by [Legacy of Kain creator] Crystal Dynamics," Kelion states. "Crystal Dynamics are not working on a Legacy of Kain game"

A new Legacy of Kain title being developed by someone other than the franchise's creator that ditches the series' traditional single-player focus in favor of ... something else? I'm willing to give the game the benefit of the doubt, but this sounds like a huge departure from what fans might expect from a future Legacy of Kain title. If you're a hardcore Legacy of Kain fan, how upsetting is this news? Are you ready to toss a brick through the window of Square Enix headquarters? That's probably an overreaction, but we like your moxie.

Source: VG247

Meh. At least it's something. I'd hate to see the franchise die completely.

New Legacy of Kain game

Yay! LoK is rad as fuck and I'm still bummed about Blood Omen 3 getting canceled.

Square Enix

What? Umm... why? What is going on here?

"Nosgoth is not being developed by [Legacy of Kain creator] Crystal Dynamics"

Oh, God. This is getting worse.

"multiplayer-focused entry"

Please don't do this. Drop the game and step away from the license.

Seriously, I went from really excited to really worried in about a minute. I'm hoping for the best, but I'm not too thrilled about SquareEnix and their products as of late.

Well, sounds like Squeeniz is pulling a bit of an EA here, eh?

Lets take this single player game and make it multiplayer, people liked this game back in the day, they'll like it now.

Oh Christ on a bike. You know, all those years ago playing the LoK games all I was thinking was "this character driven, narrative based game really needs some multiplayer action." It just leaps right out at you is it's lack of multiplayer.

Well on the plus side, at least it's not on IOS :P

After this week I'm now convinced the Square Enix offices just have a set of dart boards with IPs, gameplay ideas and platforms listed randomly on them.

SwimmingRock:

Square Enix

What? Umm... why? What is going on here?

Square bought Eidos several years ago. Eidos was the publisher for the series (and others).

but I'm not too thrilled about SquareEnix and their products as of late.

Not that I hold out any hope that a multiplayer entry in this series will actually be good, but Square's track record has only sucked lately with everything coming out of Japan. Their Western studios have been doing some great things like Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Tomb Raider. There are plenty of reasons to worry about this game. Square being the publisher isn't one of them if their recent track record is anything to go by.

So first a mobile Deus Ex game and now a multiplayer Legacy of Kain?

It seems Square Enix really knows what the fans want, huh?

Vivi22:

but I'm not too thrilled about SquareEnix and their products as of late.

Not that I hold out any hope that a multiplayer entry in this series will actually be good, but Square's track record has only sucked lately with everything coming out of Japan. Their Western studios have been doing some great things like Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Tomb Raider. There are plenty of reasons to worry about this game. Square being the publisher isn't one of them if their recent track record is anything to go by.

Fair point. It was more of a gut reaction. Just seeing Square involved in something I care about makes me nervous nowadays, but that is indeed down to their JRPGs.

Still, I don't get why Crystal Dynamics isn't involved. They also clearly work with SE, as evidenced by the new Tomb Raider, so why leave them out?

Place your bets! MOBA or MMO?

ahh yes its that time again? The dig up a old franchise and put it into the flavor of the month genre, excuse me if im cynical here until i know more that, hey guess what guys remember that single player game series that you knew and loved back then its getting a new multilayer focused spin off installment, YAAAAAY,

Matt Gleason:

you may regret saying that one there.

SpcyhknBC:

I reckon it's gonna be a modern military shooter, personally.

Aww, I saw the first word of the title and got all excited, but then I got to the end of it and realized they were going to butcher something I loved. =/

Really guys, is it that hard? Release one more game in the main series, pick up exactly where Defiance left of, and finish the goddamned story. It's already past the main climax, you literally just have to ride the plot down the mostly obvious route, maybe with some minor detours, make a competent action game and finish things and people will be throwing money at you.

Turning a narrative-focused single-player franchise that was so good I'm still considering getting a tattoo of symbols from the game... into a multiplayer affair, possibly an MMO... huh...

[deep breath]

Well, I'm glad the franchise hasn't been entirely abandoned.
The setting of the Legacy of Kain games is fascinating & ripe for an expanded universe; vampires, magic, Lovecraftian gods, multiple dimensions, time travel. It's not a terrible idea to see a new team's spin on the world of Nosgoth, I suppose.
If it makes money, the chances of a proper LoK sequel being developed goes up substantially.

I... uum... reserve judgement until more details arise

Nose Goth: I want to suck your boogers :P

Matt Gleason:

No, I'd rather see the franchise die completely, and with some dignity, than for it to become some cheap cash cow. There is no reason for this game to exist except for the sake of trying to milk a little more cash out of the franchise.

WhiteTigerShiro:

Matt Gleason:

No, I'd rather see the franchise die completely, and with some dignity, than for it to become some cheap cash cow. There is no reason for this game to exist except for the sake of trying to milk a little more cash out of the franchise.

Sadly, I agree.
Maybe a highdef remaster. I guarantee that will pick up the big bucks. Played through this whole series and loved it.

O.o wut?

That's all I really have to say...what?!

Sigh looks like the games industry wants to take another dump on another one of my favorite IPs. Seriously why do games have to always have multiplayer, is anyone going to actually play it? The Legacy of Kain games were known for their story, fantastic characters, and awesome dialog. Not for multiplayer. Why not continue what made the series so iconic, instead of watering it down into another game with a weak single player and a tacted on multiplayer that no one is going to buy the game for.

Not one person is going to go 'ooh multiplayer legacy of kain I'm gonna get that' no you look for multiplayer in specific types of games it use to be the industry knew that. Multiplayer games should be disigned around multiplayer that's what makes them great. A lot of refinement makes a good gameplay experience. You don't just say 'okay lets add multiplayer so we can tap into the fratboy' crowd. The frat boys aren't as stupid as people seem to think they are.

Noramlly, "multiplayer focused" and "Square Enix" would be enough to make me wary, but I don't care because NEW LEGACY OF KAIN GAME HELL YES. Please be good.

So, let's take a bland and unimaginative concept, then slap the name of a successful franchise on it to fuck a couple people out of a few bucks.

Get away from my franchise, SE. Uninstall and KILL YOURSELVES.

Snowblindblitz:
Well, sounds like Squeeniz is pulling a bit of an EA here, eh?

Lets take this single player game and make it multiplayer, people liked this game back in the day, they'll like it now.

of it all, take one thing to heart, Squenix bought out Crystal Dynamics a LONG time ago, because I believe it was Sqauresoft that owned Lara Croft at the time, and Crystal Dynamics back then was best known for Gex the Gecco. (hey Geico . . . HUGE missed oppurtunity there) but since Squenix owns CD, it kind of makes sense they could tell CD not to work on it but let someone else do it . . . sort of . . . a bit . . .

ok yeah I'm worried as hell too

The three main things that pulled me into LoK and kept me was:

The story: Easily one of the most complex and in depth stories I have seen in a game.
The characters: There was not a single character that I did not have some feeling towards or against.
The voice acting: Ambrosia to the ears. Whatever they were paid for their work it wasn't enough.

With this announcement it seems like all three of those will be completely abandoned. No, I won't throw a brick etc, just walk away and enjoy when the series was good. Blood Omen 2 notwithstanding. (I still can't figure out why people would say it's good when compared to the other games in the series)

If you think about it from a business standpoint, they can get a lot of assets and tech ready with a game that is cheaper to make due to little to no writing involved(let's assume it'll be an "MMO" brawler/beat 'em up), and if it's a success, they can make a new entry in either of the other two main series.

Instead of what they were doing so far, as in: shoehorning the multiplayer into a game that had a bloated budget and expectations in hopes of moving more copies, once they realize that the budget and expectations were indeed bloated.

Until there is more info about it, I would give it the benefit of the doubt.

But I still have to ask what stuff those guys are smoking, if they think this will work out without problems.

(in Simon Templeman's sexy voice)
What a love of multiplayer these pathetic publishers have.

Side note: Square Enix are well on their way to being the worst company ever in my books.
As if ruining Final Fantasy, Deus Ex, not doing anything worth a damn with the Kingdom Hearts for three years, and just being shit in general, this is the final straw which caused the paraplegic dromedary.

Matt Gleason:

Sonic 2006.

That is all.

SpcyhknBC:

I think I may have cracked it. MMORPG where you play as either the Sarafan or vampires. It's during that whole war period where the vampires were being hunted down. They might have Raziel and the other 6 Sarafan generals in for call-back value. Some unifying threat nonsense. Timelines won't add up. I hope I'm wrong.

It's just that, thinking about the setting, that seems the most likely time period they could allow thousands of people to play as part of armies that are supposedly somehow important even though nothing you do in an mmorpg ever feels like it matters. So my 5 bucks is on mmo.

Multiplayer focused? How? Why? I hope that some new announcement is made that changes my mind about this and tha the game will forward the story.

Multiplayer-focu- WHO ARE YOU MARKETING THIS TO??? Not LoK fans, definitely

SQUAAAAAAAAREEEE!!!

Hun? Nosgoth? A New Legacy of Kain game?! Oh HELL YE- wait a second... Multiplayer focused?! What! Why? That's not Legacy of Kain!

SwimmingRock:

SpcyhknBC:

I think I may have cracked it. MMORPG where you play as either the Sarafan or vampires. It's during that whole war period where the vampires were being hunted down. They might have Raziel and the other 6 Sarafan generals in for call-back value. Some unifying threat nonsense. Timelines won't add up. I hope I'm wrong.

It's just that, thinking about the setting, that seems the most likely time period they could allow thousands of people to play as part of armies that are supposedly somehow important even though nothing you do in an mmorpg ever feels like it matters. So my 5 bucks is on mmo.

Your reasoning is sound... but why would they do this?! It adds nothing new to the story, it's nothing more than gratuitous hunter/vampire violence (pretty much what that whole period was). The outcome is already known and nothing was left to speculation from that time. I want to see what happened with the Hylden after Defiance. The cycle was broken for gods' sakes!

But then again, on that note...

Genocidicles:
So first a mobile Deus Ex game and now a multiplayer Legacy of Kain?

It seems Square Enix really knows what the fans want, huh?

Yeah... it seems their recent "failures" of sales have left them... unhinged.

God damn it.

Captcha: runny nose.

Heh, real punny captcha...

What. The Fuck.

Who the fuck are you making it for, Squeenix? LOK fans want a real game, not some multiplayer shit, whereas MOBA/MMORPG audience has DOTA2/WOW to keep them busy.

Going by his twitter feed Simon Templeman hasn't heard anything about this. I hope he's just being coy. How can they have a Kain game without Kain?

Square Enix, alienating its fanbase, one game IP at a time!

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here