Nosgoth Brings Multiplayer To Legacy Of Kain

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Vivi22:

Not that I hold out any hope that a multiplayer entry in this series will actually be good, but Square's track record has only sucked lately with everything coming out of Japan. Their Western studios have been doing some great things like Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Tomb Raider. There are plenty of reasons to worry about this game. Square being the publisher isn't one of them if their recent track record is anything to go by.

This would be a good point... where it not for the fact that Tomb Raider's multiplayer was such a shitty experience it actually convinced me to stop playing the single player mode.

I have no faith in this product - it will not do the franchise justice, and will be yet another blight upon our gaming landscape.

Wow. Way to take a really good IP, one that fans have wished to get an ending for, and do possibly the worst thing ever to it.

I mean, yeah, it could be good. But I seriously doubt it, why multiplayer!?

Hmm, not the original developers making a underground hit that was fantastic into a multiplayer as a lazy attempt to revive a franchise... sounds like Shadowrun on the 360... lets hope it isn't Shadowrun

Matt Gleason:
Meh. At least it's something. I'd hate to see the franchise die completely.

No, it's much worse.

Why the hell should we be pleased just because another LoK game is in the works, especially when it's such a departure from the original with none of the original writers involved? I loved LoK to death but it's done now. Over.

I just got told about this from a friend and I don't think I've raged that much in a while. I was so excited (but at the same time skeptical since Amy Hennig is gone) when stuff for this game started cropping up. And then Square Enix announce this fucking shit. Whoever thought that making a deep, story driven series into a multi-player focused game needs fucking fired. This exactly how you kill a successful franchise. I'm going to call it right now, this game is going to sell terrible. Because of this, Square Enix will mostly likely wash their hands of the series completely, and we'll probably never see another single player Legacy of Kain game again.

I, and many other fans, have waited 10 fucking years for a new Legacy of Kain game and this is the shit they offer us. And basically every article about this announcement is just filled with people complaining about the decision, it's clear that the fans do not want this.

Are you ready to toss a brick through the window of Square Enix headquarters? That's probably an overreaction.

Hardly. I'm ready to toss a fucking molotov at them.

I never liked the series in the first place, due to the frankly -despicable- mishandling of time travel tropes and gambit pileups.

But I have standards too, and I'm just as offended as every LoK fan here is.

I mean come on, what kind of VIRUS is there that's attacking the industry and bankrupting creativity in favor for the homogenized printing press copypasting?

"The wind carried screams from the west; I could not help but smile, somebody else in the world was suffering more than I".

The Legacy of Kain games are the Shakespeare of gaming.

SwimmingRock:

New Legacy of Kain game

Yay! LoK is rad as fuck and I'm still bummed about Blood Omen 3 getting canceled.

Square Enix

What? Umm... why? What is going on here?

"Nosgoth is not being developed by [Legacy of Kain creator] Crystal Dynamics"

Oh, God. This is getting worse.

"multiplayer-focused entry"

Please don't do this. Drop the game and step away from the license.

Seriously, I went from really excited to really worried in about a minute. I'm hoping for the best, but I'm not too thrilled about SquareEnix and their products as of late.

I'm gonna go with 'this'

and give the level of writing from Square as of late, I shudder to think how they'll mangle the lore of LoK, assuming it has a story at all (which, hint hint, was one of the major selling points)

I've been at peace with treating the series as dead for a while now, and given how little this seems to resemble the original titles, I find it hard to even count it as part of the series. I just hope they don't attempt to continue the main story with this, because that deserves its own damn single-player only game.

Other than that, I can't muster more than a disinterested shoulder shrug.

NO,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No, please by all that is sacred in gaming don't do this, does anyone in here has anyone inside that place that can make that not happen, name your price I have money.

T ake one of the greatest single player games ever made and turn it into another MMO. Fuck you Square. Stop raping art.

Que automatic assumptions anything to do with multiplayer in a game that hasn't had multiplayer before is going to cause the apocalypse for said series because why actually hope it turns out well?

League of Khain: the new f2p moba featuring all your favorite characters!

Pick from champions such as Raziel, Kain, Vorador, Moebius,Janos Audron or the Hylden Lord as they engage in team based deathmatches for the very future of Nosgoth!

Either that or its an mmo set before the culling of the vampires.

I knew that I was going to see people get mad the minute I saw the title. We only knew a few details and nothing about the gameplay. Yet, people are assuming....

I recall an old saying "When you assume...You make a " something. Can't recall the complete sentence.

Oh well, guess there's a better solution to all my problems.

This is one of those things, similar to what happened with Syndicate, where it seems completely and utterly stupid to change one of these old IPs as much as they are(seemingly. Of course, we know pretty much nothing yet about this new Legacy of Kain. So there's that). Like Syndicate, Legacy of Kain is old enough that I'd say many current gamers would either not have an opinion on the old games or maybe would never have even heard of them before, meaning the old standby of selling a totally different game with an older name just for brand recognition makes no sense. Rebooting the old games and changing them radically, like they did with Syndicate, does absolutely nothing except alienate old fans.

Sounds like a blatant Star Craft rip-off I remember seeing back in the 90's. It was a PC game that had a cover clearly had a couple marines fighting a bunch of hydralisks, but it was in no way, shape, or form Star Craft.

This.

Magmarock:
Take one of the greatest single player games ever made and turn it into another MMO. Fuck you Square. Stop raping art.

This game is going to fail so hard it's disgusting.

Why would you take an older IP such as Legacy of Kain who at this point is really only known by the fans of the game and change said game into something that will inevitably end up being hated by the only people who remember it? Would it not be easier to just make a new world? It's not like people who don't know what a Nosgoth is are going to be deterred in any fashion from buying the game, but you're already looking at alienating the people who would buy another Legacy of Kain.

Oh Legacy of Kain...I lament thee. T^T

No.... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Why can't we just have a Soul Reaver Reboot? Come on, I don't want multiplayer LoK, I want a single-player experience about Kain and Raziel. Actually, I hope that after this title we can see a re-ignition to original series. I'll spare judgment until the moment people get to play this game. If it isn't all multiplayer focused then this could actually be nice. However; I think deviating too much from the main overarching story could seriously damage my faith in the series. After Dark Prophecy was scrapped that was the time when I started to begin to realize that the series is going down hill. I was hoping for some news on the eventually, but this isn't quite what I imagined.

Wait... Crystal isn't developing it? Oh FUCK OFF SQUARE ENIX!

I.... i just can't... I don't.... I mean... I...
Fuck it. Fuck all of this. I'm gonna go drown out the memory of this with near lethal amounts of alcohol and pretend, using all of my imagination, that this simply doesn;t exist and that I know nothing about it.

I'm optimistic, which is a rarity. I'd rather get another game in this series, and know that if it fails...it will fail SPECTACULARLY. I mean it will fail almost as much as FF14. It might be the final fail that finally sends SE to the spectral realm for good.

So, I'm optimistic that it will fail.

On the off chance its great then, yay.

I really only liked Soul Reaver anyways. Blood Omen was good but clunky. SR2 was a good story, more than a good game.

BO2 was a good game, rather than a good story.

Defiance was kinda lackluster in both regards, though it looked nice and played well. You'd think people would learn not to place all those convenient spikes on every wall. Gothic architecture + TK = win.

What I liked most in Soul Reaver, apart from the Kill Bill styled revenge story (way before the movies I know), was that killing vampires was actually a bit of a hassle.

You couldn't just beat the crap out of them. You had to find some water, sunlight, fire, or something pointy. And if you wanted that something pointy back, well they cam back to life.

Getting the Reaver Blade was cool and all but it trivialized the process.

If in Nosgoth we play as the last humans in the world, I imagine we won't be granted access to such super weapons.

Flamethrowers and swords mostly. Though I imagine a Super Mario Sunshine-borrowed F.L.U.D.D. device would take care of some of them handily.

If we play as vampires, lots of TK, but lots of weaknesses. Maybe you could chose which lieutenant you were sired by and as you level up you get more and more of their mutation. Which would really suck for the Rahabim. No more weakness to water, but no more legs either.

No one would choose Melchiah, unless you could be an undead juggernaut. Assuming that the Razielim could fly, idk how they got genocided so easily. That is a pretty huge advantage.

Vae Victus, Suffering to the Conquered.

Ironic that now I was now the one suffering. Not anything as Pedestrian as physical pain, but rather the cruel jab of impotent anger, the hunger for revenge. I hadn't cared for the outcome, only that i be granted a continuation of the greatest of stories. Sometimes, you get what you wish for. The Necromancer of Intellectual Property Square Enix offered me the chance to see more of the drama unfold and, like a Fool, I jumped at their offer without considering the cost..

"Hey! Let's release a multiplayer game aimed at an audience that want a singleplayer game! That'll work!"

This caused me to cry pure anguished suffering at my monitor for several whole minutes.

Seriously... WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS! I struggle to comprehend any trace of a thought process behind this decision... Not only do you take a series which is now almost wholly remembered by its hardcore fans but you are attempting to compete with it on some of the most competitive ground in the medium...

Square *Sodding* Enix go to the principle you are staying behind after school to be tutored on not making your classmates cry.

Fuck yes, I love Lok!

Wait, what's that?

"Not a single player experience"?

B-but how does that even makes sense, what the fuck is the LoK series if not a single player experience?

Why would you do this Square, what have we done to deserve this? WHY? WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY?!?!?!?

Damn it Square Enix!

We're making a new Deus Ex game! For the iPad.
We're making a new Legacy of Kain game! It's multiplayer only and not developed by Crystal Dynamics.

Maybe it'll be a co-op game. If that's the case and it'll get a PC release, it might be worth playing.

I've been waiting for a new LoK game ever since I finished Defiance (which I got on release), and a multiplayer game was definitely not what I expected.

I'll reserve judgment until I see more details, I do miss the Legacy of Kain series but I'm not really sure this is going to be one in anything besides name.

The sad truth is I've been waiting so long I'll take anything at this stage. How disappointed I am will depend on how well the new studio handles it. If it's done well, I'll get right in there and I won't regret a thing. If they've just turned it into a new COD I will be breaking out the anthrax.

bringer of illumination:
Fuck yes, I love Lok!

Wait, what's that?

"Not a single player experience"?

B-but how does that even makes sense, what the fuck is the LoK series if not a single player experience?

Why would you do this Square, what have we done to deserve this? WHY? WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY?!?!?!?

Because all the cool kids want multiplayer and Squenix has long since lost any sense of... well... sense.

Ickorus:
I'll reserve judgment until I see more details, I do miss the Legacy of Kain series but I'm not really sure this is going to be one in anything besides name.

This is what I fear the most. What if it's another Syndicate?

Hrm. I'm torn about this. On the one hand, it could be quite something; exploring Nosgoth, learning more about it etc. etc. On the other it could be beyond awful. The really irritating thing is that I'm fairly certain that, even if the game does feature Kain, Raziel et al. then they'll probably ditch the old voice actors as that seems to be a trend atm. A trend that I simply cannot abide by. I mean really; it just wouldn't be good enough.

Jamous:
Hrm. I'm torn about this. On the one hand, it could be quite something; exploring Nosgoth, learning more about it etc. etc. On the other it could be beyond awful. The really irritating thing is that I'm fairly certain that, even if the game does feature Kain, Raziel et al. then they'll probably ditch the old voice actors as that seems to be a trend atm. A trend that I simply cannot abide by. I mean really; it just wouldn't be good enough.

The voice cast was so good to, apart from Simon Templeman there was also René Auberjonois , Richard Doyle , Michael Bell and lets not forget Tony Jay (who is the only person who should be replaced as he unfortunately died).

Seriously squeenix why just why LOK/SR is one of the best single player story telling games ever created and you are trying to turn it into this travesty.

Meh worst case scenario, it sucks and I don't bother with it. My life goes on, Legacy of Kain-less like it has been for almost a decade.

Best case scenario, it's good and I like it.

...wait what.

It's a... spin-off that is not (necessarily) single-player? To one of the most prolific story-driven single-player story-based story-focused story-everything franchises in existence?

Please don't make it canon. Please don't make it canon. Please don't make it canon.

When I saw the title of this article, I thought they were adding multi-player to an already existing LoK game. That made me do a spit-take. It also made me shout "WHY!?" loudly. At the same time. Thank you,Earnest Cavalli, I now have coffee all over my clothes and my desk.

The actual content of the article made more sense. It's saddening that someone would attempt to bring this IP back to unlife while missing the ball so hard on what made LoK amazing, but it makes sense considering the industry.

Of course, we don't know enough about this game yet to be sure that it actual DOES miss what made LoK great - I.E. the great story, the non-stock characters, the amazing voice-acting, the atmosphere and all that. I mean, for all we know it could be that Square-Enix is going to bring us a game with a complex story, great acting and parts that are geared towards co-op or maybe some sort of not-exactly-multiplayer-but-still-not-entirely-single-player bits like Dark Souls... But when you see "Sq-En spin-off-reviving random vampire IP they randomly found in their pockets as a 'non-single player' game" it gets hard not to think "Vampire the Masquerade rip-off", and great as that game was, the mood and aesthetic just doesn't fit with the LoK universe. It's vampires, sure, but it's different vampires. If you want to revive a story-driven game without the original devs, it doesn't inspire confidence.

There's hope that this actual will be a real LoK game, but I doubt it. Especially if Simon "My Voice Causes Orgasms" Tempelman isn't involved. But hopefully it'll be a good game and serve to add to the lore and the universe, without adding any embarrassingly dumb ret-cons (maybe Sarafan Raziel was actual a good guy who was in love with a friendly neighbourhood vampire?). If we're very lucky it might even spark interest in the IP and lead to a revival of the core franchise. But even if it's an abject failure that bombs completely and has Kain being a fluffy, pacifist granddaddy-type character and the Elder God being benevolent and self-sacrificing, so what? It won't detract from the original games and even the ret-cons won't matter since it's basically fanfic. This isn't George Lucas writing Darth Vader as a whiny, cocky douchebag who goes in for loud, passionless "Nooooooo"s. It's just another company writing on an old game. So before saying you'd prefer the game to "Die with dignity", remember that if we'll have a good game that might add to the original lore or even revive the core series, but if we're unlucky we really won't be worse off than if the series had just died outright.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here