Nosgoth Brings Multiplayer To Legacy Of Kain

Pages PREV 1 2 3

My emotional spectrum shifted from excited to disgusted while reading through this report. Granted, we don't know exactly how the new game is going to end up looking like but Earnest Cavalli isn't exactly painting it up as a positive picture.

Would prefer a single player game, a sequel to Soul Reaver - loved the story and character and game play. If not then a HD re release would be a welcome surprise. Or a collection of Reaver and Kain games.....even selling in on PSN or XBlive would be awesome. So many old games that have been left to rot. Time to re release these.

Zipa:

Jamous:
Hrm. I'm torn about this. On the one hand, it could be quite something; exploring Nosgoth, learning more about it etc. etc. On the other it could be beyond awful. The really irritating thing is that I'm fairly certain that, even if the game does feature Kain, Raziel et al. then they'll probably ditch the old voice actors as that seems to be a trend atm. A trend that I simply cannot abide by. I mean really; it just wouldn't be good enough.

The voice cast was so good to, apart from Simon Templeman there was also René Auberjonois , Richard Doyle , Michael Bell and lets not forget Tony Jay (who is the only person who should be replaced as he unfortunately died).

Seriously squeenix why just why LOK/SR is one of the best single player story telling games ever created and you are trying to turn it into this travesty.

Tony Jay did the Elder God, right? I suppose if they weren't having Kain or Raziel as a main character they wouldn't need to show the Elder God as we wouldn't be able to see it. I had a thought though. They said it prolly wasn't going to be single-player, or at least shouldn't be thought of as such. A co-op game with Kain and Raziel could be pretty cool. Just trying to look at a possible bright side. That said, you can imagine co-op making the game lose a certain degree of the gravitas it had beforehand.

One, this sucks pretty hard, not everything needs multiplayer. And 2, I wish to god/gods/flying spaghetti monster that we could bottle up Internet rage and use it as an energy source

sigh. Square have some amazing studios under their banner. Too bad that their administration is a bunch of chimps in suits throwing feces at each other.

I mean, sure, if that's the game they want to make, go ahead. I can dig a spinoff any day. Yes, I would rather see a proper sequel, especially since the franchise has been dead for about 8 years now, but if they actually want to make a multiplayer spinoff, I'm all for it.

But I'm willing to bet money that this game is a product of some bollocks market research and a shameless cash-in attempt.

I agree that the only way LoK could be good as a multiplayer would be to make it "Dark Souls" reskin with unified difficulty, dark atmosphere, not-exactly-have-other-people-messing-around, and some serious effort also being put into story and characters as well. I don't see it being remotely good as LoL or WoW clone. And I really hope it won't be a shooter, because this would be a joke that isn't even funny.

While I have a tiny-tiny-tiny hope it could be a good spin-off, I don't expect it to be as good as original LoK series even in this case, and if it would be bad spin-off, or, save gods, an incursion into main storyline (without, as I understand it, voices of main characters)... well, it will never be a canon for me then, regardless of what SE would say.

....I don't know what to feel. On the one hand, it doesn't sound like the game I would buy...even if it is a LoK game. However, I would be lying if I said I didn't find the idea of maybe having the Soul Reaver Vampire clans fight awesome and interesting. So I'm gonna be holding back my judgement on this one until I see something more concrete.

Or the day when I see a proper remake of Soul Reaver, which will be the day I crown makers of said game as Gods.

I'm sorry, what?

I was too busy prepping this pile of bricks for Squeenix's back window.

In all seriousness, this is just sad. Legacy of Kain is defined by high-drama epic single-player storytelling in a stylish, gothic, and unique (no elves or dwarves here) fantasy setting.

As a huge LoK fan, I'm glad that the series it getting some attention after all this time, but as multiplayer-based game? How does that even work? How can they possibly keep the limelight on the awesome world and characters that define LoK while operating in a multiplayer setting?

Unless... Oh shit... I bet this is going to be an MMO.

Vampire vs. Hylden as the factions, set during the great war in Nosgoth's distant past.

It could work, but I don't play MMOs...

(slumps off dejected)

Infernai:
Vae Victus, Suffering to the Conquered.

Ironic that now I was now the one suffering. Not anything as Pedestrian as physical pain, but rather the cruel jab of impotent anger, the hunger for revenge. I hadn't cared for the outcome, only that i be granted a continuation of the greatest of stories. Sometimes, you get what you wish for. The Necromancer of Intellectual Property Square Enix offered me the chance to see more of the drama unfold and, like a Fool, I jumped at their offer without considering the cost..

As I looked upon my disdained comrade, I could not form an adequate reply. I simply nodded at him with solemn gaze, silently assuring him that his part to play in the foreboding events ahead would not be played alone. The suffering he would endure would be felt far across Nosgoth, and across the ripples of time itself.

I'll be seriously pissed if they make the next LoK a god damned Multiplayer game. they already pissed me off when they some spokesperson for them said along the lines of "we have yet to exploit the Legacy of Kain franchise..." they should at least hand it to Crystal Dynamics to let them do something different for a change. Ever since Core Design tried to kill off Lara Croft, Crystal have had to churn out Tomb Raider games and in all honesty Lara should have stayed dead after Revelations as none of the PS2 onwards have been any good.

Having had a horrible time with health issues for the past few months I didn't think anything could really make me feel worse than this. I'm glad there are some people that find it possible to have some hope for this game. I can't find anything but a sense of mild anger. It doesn't get anything worse than mild because this just seems to be the way the industry is going. I guess it also makes me sad. Well, I'll keep an eye on this game just to watch how it turns out. Might get some entertainment out of the complete stupidity of it if nothing else.

Oh my god!

I have been waiting for a new LoK game for almost a decade, can't wait fo... wait... is... is that... am i reading that right?

...multiplayer?

What made the LoK series great were the unique dark setting and the great story, both of which are known to suffer the most in a multiplayer game. So why would they do this? Oh right, money, nevermind.

All i can do now is hope that they stay away from Kain, Raziel and The Pillars.

Azwrath:
Oh my god!

I have been waiting for a new LoK game for almost a decade, can't wait fo... wait... is... is that... am i reading that right?

...multiplayer?

What made the LoK series great were the unique dark setting and the great story, both of which are known to suffer the most in a multiplayer game. So why would they do this? Oh right, money, nevermind.

All i can do now is hope that they stay away from Kain, Raziel and The Pillars.

From what I've gathered it is going to be separate from the Soul Reaver and Blood Omen series. But that still doesn't make me any less angry.

Just no.

DON'T FUCK WITH MY CHILDHOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

do you know how long I have been waiting for a new Legacy OF Kain game? TO FUCKING LONG!!!!!

I DO NOT WANT MULTIPLIER!!!!!!!!

*gets splashed with water* thank you I needed that.

I give up *face-palm*

Kungfu_Teddybear:
From what I've gathered it is going to be separate from the Soul Reaver and Blood Omen series. But that still doesn't make me any less angry.

Yeah, it won't be a part of the Legacy of Kain series. More like a spinoff or something.

But still, the damned thing is called Nosgoth. Who would that name appeal to? Fans of the series, people who liked the past games enough to read on the lore. Which i find kind of ironic since those exact people are most likely going to hate this "multiplayer" travesty.

It is actually more like a kick in the balls for them/us since we have been waiting for a new LoK game for so long and then we get this... even tho we don't know much about it yet, if multiplayer is it's most prominent feature... well... balls.

Azwrath:

Kungfu_Teddybear:

Yeah, it won't be a part of the Legacy of Kain series. More like a spinoff or something.

But still, the damned thing is called Nosgoth. Who would that name appeal to? Fans of the series, people who liked the past games enough to read on the lore. Which i find kind of ironic since those exact people are most likely going to hate this "multiplayer" travesty.

It is actually more like a kick in the balls for them/us since we have been waiting for a new LoK game for so long and then we get this... even tho we don't know much about it yet, if multiplayer is it's most prominent feature... well... balls.

Exactly. 10 years the fans have been waiting for a new Legacy of Kain game, and this is the crap they offer us. When this was announced I went on various gaming sites who had an article about the announcement to read comments from the fans, and not once in well over 100 comments, did I see a person say they liked the idea of this.

What annoys me most is when this game bombs, and let's face it, it probably will, Square Enix will probably wash their hands of the franchise completely. They will probably think that there is no interest in the franchise any more. So I think it's unlikely we'll ever see another single player, story focused Legacy of Kain game. Honestly, I would love for Naughty Dog to purchase the rights to Legacy of Kain. It would be right up their street, plus they could put Amy Hennig in charge of it. But I know that will never happen. :(

"What game was this, where every player on the board claimed the same pawn?" - Raziel

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here