Call of Duty: Ghosts Will Let You Play as the Dog

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Call of Duty: Ghosts Will Let You Play as the Dog

Call of Duty Ghosts squad dog

It's official, your canine companion won't just be another AI squadmate.

There are many things in the new Call of Duty that Infinity Ward would like you to be excited about, but the one getting all of the internet's attention is the now-famous military service dog in your squad. It seems we can stop wondering about what role the little guy will play in the game's campaign - a pre-E3 sneak peak at the single-player campaign of Call of Duty: Ghosts has revealed the dog to be a playable character in certain missions.

Hopefully it's obvious that you won't be strapping an M4 to the hound and sending him off to crouch behind chest-high walls, so the dog sections will involve a shift in gameplay. In real life, the military uses highly-trained dogs in the field as remote reconnaissance, and that's pretty much what you'll be doing in Ghosts. A mounted camera lets soldiers see what the dog sees via a handheld viewfinder, and an earpiece allows the team to give orders from afar. Stealthy situations will call for a more subtle method of instruction, so small vibrations on the dog's collar let teams direct him silently. It seems a little hard to believe, but Infinity Ward says they've done their homework and this is how actual Navy SEAL teams operate with service dogs.

Of course, this is a game, and it's more fun to actually be the dog than it is to hope the animal correctly interprets your commands. In Ghosts, you'll control your canine squadmate just like any other character, attacking hostile soldiers with vicious lunges for the throat. We're talking about man's best friend though, so the dog will also work together with his bipedal squadmates to distract enemies by barking, luring them into your sniper's crosshairs.

It sounds like the dog portions of the game won't be too different from previous games' drone or helicopter segments. There's no word on whether you'll be able to directly control a dog in multiplayer, but if so, I'd gladly trade my grenades for a tactical T-bone steak as a counter.

Source: IGN

Wow this game is really going to the Dogs.

Yeah I said it. Want to fight about it?

Sweet. Now I just need to wait for someone to adapt that engine to a pure dog simulator. I wanna play as a Welsh Corgi and just be adorable. Oh, and perform a "vicous lunge for the throat" if the AI pretends to throw a ball, but doesn't really throw it.

And people say that CoD never innovates.

So I guess CoD will keep up with the Killing the Protagonist trend.

Well, now I'm sold -_-

Now let's have dog gameplay in multiplayer... make it a scorestreak or something.

Now it's a DAY ONE BUY.

Saucycarpdog:

I wouldn't challenge the Escapist. It's a Dog Eat Dog forum, and you probably won't come out on top of that Dog Pile. I will toss you a Bone, however.

Day one purchase now for me. :P

All I ever wanted from this game.

Saucycarpdog:

Once this game comes out, at least the noobs are going to have an excuse for playing dead :P

UnnDunn:
Now let's have dog gameplay in multiplayer... make it a scorestreak or something.

That's what I'm guessing they'll end up doing. It'll likely be similar to a chopper-gunner or something in that you'll run off and hide your actual guy before calling in the dog, at which point you open a little computer that "gives the dog directions", letting you play as the dog.

HOLY FUCK that's the first new-sounding thing that series has provided in a long time. Still following in the footsteps of older games like Jet Force Gemini and Dead to Rights: Retribution, but still, I'm glad to see they're actually doing something different than the last few games.

When I ask this, I ask it with all the bitter, sarcastic irony my overwieght British corpse can muster:

But how is it going to hold the gun?

Zachary Amaranth:
Now it's a DAY ONE BUY.

Saucycarpdog:

I wouldn't challenge the Escapist. It's a Dog Eat Dog forum, and you probably won't come out on top of that Dog Pile. I will toss you a Bone, however.

My name is SaucyCarpDog. I've got nothing to lose!

OT: From the information I'm reading, this call of duty will actually be different: Russians are NOT the enemy. Now I want this game.

They want to make sure you get emotionally attached to the dog as much as possible before it inevitably dies in a scripted cinematic.

Clearly this marks a new turning point in the series!

Because they have proven how f**king awesome their dogs are!

Well...I'll give them credit here...that's a pretty unique feature...not exactly a deal maker though.

an annoyed writer:
HOLY FUCK that's the first new-sounding thing that series has provided in a long time. Still following in the footsteps of older games like Jet Force Gemini and Dead to Rights: Retribution, but still, I'm glad to see they're actually doing something different than the last few games.

Oh right, guess it isn't that unique

And Jet Force Gemini's dog had a tank.

erttheking:

an annoyed writer:

Oh right, guess it isn't that unique

And Jet Force Gemini's dog had a tank.

You bet your ass that dog had a tank. Tankdogs: a REAL innovation. Hell, someone could probably build an entire game from that concept alone.

erttheking:
Well...I'll give them credit here...that's a pretty unique feature...not exactly a deal maker though.

Indeed. I'm not sold on anything until it's out and I'm hearing that it's good from people who's tastes I generally trust. However, this has definitely made me sit up straight and start paying attention.

Well this is....good news(?) I really can't wait to bark my arse infront of this game and have a howling good time.

i am calling it:

russian airport scene part 2.

you know, where you get shot in the head at the end of the chapter.

an annoyed writer:
Still following in the footsteps of older games like Jet Force Gemini and Dead to Rights: Retribution, but still, I'm glad to see they're actually doing something different than the last few games.

ah, dammit! you beat me to it.
i wanted to say its something innovative like fish swimming away from you as you approach them...

Eh, I'm still a bit iffy on buying it. You'll probably play as the Steven McRuffinghan the third for one mission before never playing as him again. Like all the awesome gadgets that would've made an amazing game if you could use them anytime in Black Ops 2.

That...does not sound like it's going to be fun. Characters in CoD already bark orders at you to do certain things. "Wait til my signal to shoot that guy!", "Get behind cover!", "Get that missle launcher!"...Yah, I don't want to actually become a dog so I can get told to do even more tedious tasks.

an annoyed writer:

I've got $5 that says the dog dies and you're supposed to feel sad about it. Also, I've got another $5 that says it's gonn a let you control the obnoxious broken killstreak dogs.

So very not sold on this...

And sadfly I do like COD, but all that needs to happen for it to be worthless to me is for Killzone: Shadow Fall to offer splitscreen multiplayer with bots.

And the playable section ends with the dog diving in-front of you, slow-mo Bodyguard-style as it takes a bullet for you, and then your human kills the guy that shot you. I'm not sure if this is better or worse than the death scenario I came up with the dog that I posted in one of the podcast comment sections.

It's good that someone finally recognized the under-representation and importance of canines in video games and has decided to step in and do something about it.
Call of Duty is being truly progressive, the first game that fully recognizes the rights of dogs, in which you could play one before you could play a woman in a combat situation.

Does that mean I can press X to take a shit on enemy?

Collar of Duty! Those terrorists are really barking up the wrong tree this time! Surely such an elite strike force will give paws to their actions. Maybe even send them running with their tail between their legs.

Blunderboy:

:p they don't, another game who's name escapes me at the moment did the 'play as a dog' thing to, Yahtzee reviewed it awhile ago as I recall.

That said, this is still kinda cool, not enough to make me wanna a CoD game in my home, but still cool

I refuse to acknowledge the dog as a squadmate, unless I can order it to attack enemy soldiers groin. The throat is good and all, but let's be realistic for a moment; people don't want to go for the throat.

I'm not really sure playing as a dog is something to really advertise as being something worth noting. Might as well advertise being able to control the Metal Gear Mk II in MGS4. This doesn't seem any different to me.

Anyway, I don't really plan to buy this game. The only way I would is if my friends and I all buy the same console, and they buy it. Which would basically be so I could play with them. That's my two cents.

IF THE DOG DIES I SWEAR WE'RE THROUGH INFINITY WARD!

I just can't do dogs in games man... They always die and it's heartbreaking </3

Yes i'm a dog person.

I'm not one for CoD games anymore (skipped BO2 entirely and played next to no MW3) but shit son. Dogs.

Lunar Templar:

Blunderboy:

:p they don't, another game who's name escapes me at the moment did the 'play as a dog' thing to, Yahtzee reviewed it awhile ago as I recall.

That said, this is still kinda cool, not enough to make me wanna a CoD game in my home, but still cool

Dead to Rights Retribution I believe it was. He was making Re-word jokes the whole time.

FUCKING SOLD! Truly this will change the face of gaming as we know it. How much are people willing to bet that they'll off the dog for some cheap shock value?

an annoyed writer:

Fuck me a remember that game. It was trippy as hell.

OT: They'd better not kill the fucking dog. Dogs dying is always sad.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here